Web Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Web Engineer Interview Questions

Web engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

You have 1000 computers. Each computer contains a text file containing 1 billion floating point numbers. Design an algorithm or algorithms for extracting the top 1000 numbers from the entire list. Describe in detail how long it would take to process and why.

7 Answers

Max heap + map reduce.

1. 1000 computers - parallel 2. the problem can be divided into 2 parts. (1) find the top 1000 numbers from that 1 billion numbers in one computer To do this. we just need to use merge sort. Everytime use the left part. With some calculation, the solution for this is actually O(N). n is 1 billion. (2) get that top 1000 from the 1k * 1k list. (easy)

There is a very nice parallel sorting algorithm with a very good iso-effeciency. It is called Sample-sorting. I would use that.

How would you implement integer division if your language did not offer it.

5 Answers

Vertically and horizontally center an element on the screen using css.

8 Answers

How to discover if the given number is Power of 2 ?

4 Answers

Binary tree , left node has smallest value . Print 5 10 20 25 and then “count of nodes=4”…

2 Answers

How do would you handle a totally demoralized team and bring them back?

3 Answers

Asynchronous syntax

1 Answer

An enumerator is a class with getNextObject method. It encapsulates the container. Write an enumerator. Next, write a new enumerator called chained-enumerator which is initialized by two other enumerators. Finally, how would you make it work with N enumerators. I had to write the logic for getNextObject for the most part (and any other internal state I wanted to manage).

1 Answer

Second question was not really a question but a very healthy session of pair programming where I was speaking and a senior developer was coding. He chose JAVA and we were creating a list data-structure (with add, count, delete) operations. The catch was that we were going to do it TDD style. So I guided him on what kind of test we can write and how to pass that test and so on. We kept doing it and in 45 minutes we had a very well tested working list data structure.

1 Answer

How to set up networks for several locations, such as in VA, WA, and UT. Several questions of port numbers.

110 of 176 Interview Questions