AppNeta Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
AppNeta President and CEO Matt Stevens
Matt Stevens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • AppNeta is quickly becoming a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

• Great sales spiffs to keep you motivated, and beers on Friday/great company outings definitely help keep the morale up at all times (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm guessing this is common in start ups but there is a high turnover rate (in 6 reviews)

• lack of transparency and honesty from upper management (in 5 reviews)

"Special Place to Work"

I have been working at AppNeta full-time

Pros

AppNeta is a great place to work primarily because of Matt Stevens, who is a one-of-a-kind CEO. Lots of leaders say that they have an open door policy and that they care about the employees, but Matt truly means it. He makes himself available to all employees at all times. No matter what may be on his plate at the time, he will be sure to make you feel like his priority. He recognizes that we all have lives and pressures outside of the office, and has created an incredible culture and loyal followers.

AppNeta truly cares about their employees, customers, and community. There are monthly volunteer events, regular lunches, and incredible benefits including paid family and medical leave which is unheard of at startups. They compensate well and consistently recognize the employees that work hard, including monthly employee awards.

Cons

Change is in the only guarantee at a startup, and that isn't for everyone. It's a fast paced environment, but one that provides you every opportunity that you make of it.

Advice to Management

You will never be able to please everyone, don't let the negative voices discourage you.

"Do not believe anything from this company"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta (More than a year)

Pros

Good people for the most part at the office. Easy work environment to be a part of, and the product is positioned well within the market.

Cons

The company is completely full of lies. That's not even an exaggeration, everything the CEO says is completely a lie. Upper management is 100% out for themselves, and will say whatever they have to for the employees to believe everything is going well. I'm very surprised that there aren't any other reviews saying similar things, because I am in the majority as far as true opinion from the company's employees. At the end of the day, do not believe anything that people in power from this company tell you.

Advice to Management

I do not have any relevant advice. I believe the company has put themselves in such a bad hole that there's absolutely no coming back from it.

Dec 3, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for posting. Your experience, while I believe real to you, is atypical of the vast majority of the team here. I am sorry your time here didn't work out better.

"What a good company should be"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time

Pros

Extremely technical product requires a team of super talented, super smart people. Learning and becoming familiar with the product is definitely a mountain, but one you want to climb. The culture is great and you are treated like a grown up to accomplish whatever career goals you might have. The most important part of any company is the people, and the people here have been fantastic. Flexible hours, unlimited vacation, and the pay is much better than expected for a company this size.

Cons

It is still a small company and some of the processes are not quite in place yet. This is both good in the fact you have the freedom to implement your own processes and also bad in that you have no set process to rely on.

The product is super technical and the ramp-up is fairly steep. You are expected to perform, but it's more motivating than anything.

Advice to Management

There should be a better mentoring program for employees. A little more direction is always helpful.

Aug 2, 2016 – CEO

Super review. ;) Honestly, thank you for sharing. Totally agree that we have a very technical solution that solves technical problems for technical buyers. We love that - raises the bar for... More

"Honest Review"

I worked at AppNeta full-time

Pros

Not many pros to list. Gain a very small bit of knowledge about the tech industry as well as networking. Young office. Pizza and kegs at the end of a good quarter.

Cons

Very low pay. If you don't mind making 150 cold calls a day then this is the spot for you. Not joking the number they expect is 150 a day and they track it so the whole office knows how many phone calls each person makes. Sales goals are set at impossibly high levels so that when you get close but don't quite make it they don't give you a raise. The turn over rate is incredible. New faces every couple weeks.

Advice to Management

Take some time and invest in the people that are there. Don't work them to the bone and then let them go when they don't make their number just so you can keep everyone's salaries low. It's not going to work as a business model.

Aug 2, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Are you sure you're reviewing the right company here? We've never had "kegs" ever (we do enjoy celebrating our successes for sure and we also own and learn from our... More

5. "If you like a challenge, this might be right for you"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and performance accountability are clearly important to leadership. That naturally attracts performance oriented individuals with high professional standards that want to develop their skills and their career. If you are willing to work hard and participate in the larger collaborative effort to grow the business, your contributions will be welcomed and rewarded in all parts of the company. If that sounds right to you, this could be a great fit.

Cons

Not really a con, but it's a start-up environment with all the associated challenges of a rapidly growing company. You have to like rolling up your sleeves to do the heavily lifting. If you don't naturally seek a challenge, it’s probably not a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for excellence in all parts of the organization.

Aug 2, 2016 – CEO

Great input - thanks for sharing. Yes, this is a start-up culture and the realities of that can be a lot to absorb. Those that thrive in that kind of environment do well here and will find it very... More

"A startup where culture actually counts"

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AppNeta is a company that has clearly changed looking at the past review. As a newer employee, I can tell you that this is a different company. The culture is one of openness, responsibility and risk taking. I've been particularly shocked at the lack of politics. This is a place that respects employees and encourages a good work/life balance, while still being very exciting and having great products. At most startups I've worked at, "culture" is code for pool tables and free lunch, rather than the actual values of the company - AppNeta's culture is real.

Cons

None yet other than the lack of bathrooms for men. I know that sounds like a bullish*t answer, but it is really true - I haven't found anything that I'd really regard as a con.

Advice to Management

One of the hardest areas to manage as startups grow is career advancement - just because there are fewer positions available at smaller companies. Invest in this area and you will have even happier employees.

Dec 4, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback - keep 'em coming! Culture is built over time and is a product of many many people working together towards a common goal with common set of guiding principles. AppNeta... More

"Not bad..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and energy. Company has an awesome product, built by some fantastic developers. CEO really cares about his team.

Cons

Sales environment is sink or swim. If you are a smooth operator, you'll grow fast and make serious money. They'll throw cash at you like they have an unlimited bank if you are their top earners, otherwise management will complain, pester, and lay you off. Turn over in past year pretty high (Quarter of sales staff switched companies or got laid off, some upper management jumped ship).

Advice to Management

If you train your sales staff to target 'personas', expecting pray and spray sales activities is counter intuitive. Don't waste time on meeting metrics: focus on cultivating a more fluent sales staff.

Dec 4, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. All jobs at a startup are hard; startups are just plain hard in general. But in particular, the sales function at a high-tech startup can be one of the hardest jobs... More

8. "Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team at AppNeta really cares about the employees and are always looking for different ways to improve employee happiness. It is a fun environment to work in especially since we are growing at such a quick rate. AppNeta generally does at least one company wide fun event quarterly, along with bi-weekly lunches and weekly happy hours. AppNeta also gives back to the community with quarterly volunteer activites along with seasonal food and clothing drives.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to working at AppNeta. The enviroment is lively and energetic which may not be for everyone.

Dec 4, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated. Fun and work often don't go hand in hand, but the entire team at AppNeta really does focus on this and I agree, it is a fun place to work!

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Massachusetts in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in Boston, MA

Pros

I’ve worked at both tech start-ups and the biggest tech companies and AppNeta is the really the best of both worlds. Like a start-up, it’s a fun, collaborative environment with good opportunities for growth. Like some large tech companies, AppNeta’s products lead the industry, use cutting edge technologies, and take very good care of their employees with; good benefits, free lunches, snacks, drinks provided daily. They’re also able to share big client wins with employees on a regular basis. What’s not like any company I’ve worked for, there’s a real transparency, from the CEO Matt Steven as to the companies’ financial performance, new products and growth plans. They also encourage you to be innovative understanding that it’s okay to try and fail. It’s also a pretty flat organization, so, not much red tape in getting things done. For people looking for a fun, open, exciting place to work, this is it. Come prepared to make positive contributions that help make the company better.

Cons

None. AppNeta has learned from past mistakes about how to run a good company. In the past, there weren't enough processes, systems in place from what more tenured employees have said.

Advice to Management

Keep the same culture the same when AppNeta grows larger.

Dec 4, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback - it's invaluable to our continued successful growth. I'm so glad to hear that our efforts on delivering true transparency are being felt. There's... More

10. "A new AppNeta"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like many start-up's AppNeta had some growing pains, I've read the posts from 2012-2014 and understand not everyone agreed with decisions that were made. Regardless, that is in the past and before my time. Currently AppNeta is making a name for themselves in the APM space and growing rapidly at the same time.

Personal growth and leadership are the biggest reasons people should want to join this organization. I've never seen a company that will promote from within so quickly. This is something promised to most new hires but here it actually happens.

Secondly is the leadership of the executive team. Through the struggles of what it has taken to get to where AppNeta is today the leaders of the organization have a clear vision of where we are headed. The CEO and CMO have collaborated and put together a plan for 2016 that will really put this company on the map. The future looks bright!

Cons

My first few weeks at AppNeta were concerning because there were a lot of changes but the dust has settled. Additionally, this isn't particularly a con but it is an inside sales organization with a lot of out-bound activity, if that is not what you are looking for then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the pedal to the metal and don't look back. Continue to improve the product and the leadership moving forward.

Dec 4, 2015 – CEO

Awesome feedback - please keep it coming! Change is definitely a part of a start-up and managing the right amount of change is always hard. We've been better at managing this lately, but it's easy... More