Autodesk Reviews | Glassdoor

Autodesk CEO Andrew Anagnost
Andrew Anagnost

1,311 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good salary, work life balance etc (in 239 reviews)

• Culture, Benefits such as sabbaticals, work from home allowed depending on manager (in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, great people"

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

amazing people, exciting projects, very transparent management, work life balance, 6 weeks sabbatical, annual tech summits, UX summits, various platforms (Lyyda, Pluralsight..) for learning new technologies.

Cons

none that I can think of. Autodesk really cares about its employees. I highly recommend Autodesk.

Advice to Management

I am happy to see that we are focusing on subscription platform and cloud solutions and I hope we stay focused and deliver the results very quickly.

Feb 15, 2018 – Talent Brand & Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review! We always love learning about everyone’s experience so that we can create the best environment possible for our employees.

2. "Software Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company culture for employees

Cons

Slow to Agile and releasing when ready

Advice to Management

Lose some customers to advance to the cloud

"An entrenched company struggling to renew itself"

Former Employee - Content Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Content Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The executives at Autodesk should be very proud of one thing: The benefits at this place are off-the-charts amazing. I was fortunate to experience the four-year sabbatical, and it was life-changing. Also, being able to work from home or the office or anywhere and having the purse strings of a deep-pocketed company to purchase and experiment with tools or services I needed to do my work was extremely satisfying. I loved the autonomy that I had in my own personal work choices. Huge!

The small team I worked with did amazing things together as marketers, piling up record subscription sales and organic traffic (but, it must be said: only because we resisted the go-along-get-along ways of our deep-state co-workers).

Cons

The company plays up its position as an innovator in design, but they are struggling with old code bases and an inability to tie together their software into packages that work for people on all devices. Despite how hard they try to convince themselves internally, this company is absolutely not user-focused. It’s full of engineers and middle managers who want a 9-5 job and no surprises; they simply don't strive for excellence. Most of the people I worked with had no experience building SaaS software (or any online services), a stubborn inability to think of users first, and they often struggled with the methodologies of agile software production. I worked with a lot of incompetent people at Autodesk who couldn't move past their old ways of making boxed software that they only had to update once per year. Promotions are very rare unless you are really good at corporate politics. This place is surprisingly boring considering its potential for making industry-changing software.

Advice to Management

Your customers unhappily pay way too much per year to use your software and don’t get many new features or updates. Without any disruption or competition you will continue to rely on past successes and refuse to embrace new ways and markets. You’re not a place of real innovation anymore, and you’d better start scrambling to make it better — fast. Your stock price will depend on it in another year or two. Finally, throw away your intranet and start over. It's embarrassingly bad.

"Working at Autodesk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've met some of the most talented people ever during my time at Autodesk. It's also given me the opportunity for both lateral and upward career development. And, it really is inspiring to be exposed to the creative and sometimes world-changing things our customers design and make with our software.

Cons

Autodesk like many tech companies conducts org changes very frequently, it's not uncommon to shift between groups or find yourself with a new boss every 1-2 years. It's also highly matrixed, so to be successful you need great navigation, collaboration and influencing skills. If neither of those sounds appealing to you, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Try to minimize the org changes - change can be good but change fatigue is not and some groups are likely at that point.

Feb 15, 2018 – Talent Brand & Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience working at Autodesk. We strive to create an open culture at Autodesk and value feedback so that we can become an... More

5. "Solid company!"

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Hours are 9-5 no more
    Work is fun and allows me to learn more about Maya while helping customers

Cons

Location kinda sucks and you have to pay for parking or take the train

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Marketing"

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

great culture. flexible working conditions

Cons

paid vacation does not increase with length of service

Feb 15, 2018 – Talent Brand & Social Media Manager

7. "Overall, a great place to work."

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Excellent organization building products that really do allow people to create and change the world. Incredible benefits and solid compensation packages. Flexible work hours and work from home options as well.

Cons

Company is in the midst of a major restructuring that was definitely overdue, but in general they are focusing on the right things, in particular the end user, and it feels like they're on the right track.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the users!

Feb 15, 2018 – Talent Brand & Social Media Manager

8. "Good company, good workplace, good trajectory"

Current Employee - Director, Brand Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Brand Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture
    Family friendly
    Smart, interesting, motivated people
    CEO is sharp - less freewheeling than previous, but pointing the company in a good direction
    Inspiring mission - nice to work for a software company that is about making real-world things, not some kind of internet plumbing or click-bait advertising scheme
    Sabbatical every 4 years in the US

Cons

Sometimes slow moving, consensus-driven -- definitely not a "move fast and break things" ethos
    Slow turn-over, so career advancement can suffer -- flip side of the fact that people like it here and want to stay

Advice to Management

Good the company is doubling-down on big transformations (digital, subscription, cloud) and investing in those things. But for many, it's been year-after-year of increasing austerity. Would be good to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and some (even limited or symbolic) loosening up, i.e. funding some ambitious/experimental research and marketing projects.

"Sinking ship - avoid"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- relatively good work life balance
    - some offices are nice
    - pay is so so
    - overall mission and products are cool / have promise

Cons

- reorgs, reorgs, reorgs. My team is on our 4th director in 4 years.
    - disconnect between svps and the org
    - insane politics at director level
    - some petty and downright cruel VPs who appear to care little about the people who get things done
    - strange culture where we say we want radical collaboration but then leaders’ implicitly and explicitly direct teams to block other teams
    - in the us, a stingy vacation policy - sabbaticals are great but basically 2 weeks vacation in a year sucks. Directors and above get unlimited.
    - marketing org is aimless and old school

Advice to Management

Figure out Toxic managers? It’s probably a sign somethings wrong when you have multiple teams with insane turnover.

"sales exec"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, interesting technology, competitive pay

Cons

Constant reorganization, yearly layoffs, low employee moral

Advice to Management

lots of great employees lost recently...

Showing 1,311 of 1,535 reviews