Autodesk Reviews | Glassdoor

Autodesk CEO Andrew Anagnost
Andrew Anagnost

1,421 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good salary, work life balance etc" (in 259 reviews)

• "Flexible work hours and work from home options as well" (in 60 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, great people"

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

amazing people, exciting projects, very transparent management, work life balance, 6 weeks sabbatical, annual tech summits, UX summits, various platforms (Lyyda, Pluralsight..) for learning new technologies.

Cons

none that I can think of. Autodesk really cares about its employees. I highly recommend Autodesk.

Advice to Management

I am happy to see that we are focusing on subscription platform and cloud solutions and I hope we stay focused and deliver the results very quickly.

Autodesk Response

Feb 15, 2018 – Talent Brand & Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review! We always love learning about everyone’s experience so that we can create the best environment possible for our employees.

2. "Marketing"

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Great place to grow, management is top notch

Cons

I can't think of any

3. "Best company I have worked for."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, excellent benefits, great employees that take great ownership in the quality of their work, company seems to truly care about their employees, flexibility to work remote.

Cons

Dealing with downtown SF commuter traffic.

4. "Technical Account Manager"

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Great ESPP, stock price on the rise. Great medical benefits, includes sabbatical for US employees. Opportunities for career growth. Great employees to work with.

Cons

inconsistent focus on industries, changes to 3 year plans to almost abandon of industries causing trust issues with long term investments from customer base.
    Hard changes to re-seller communities.

5. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Project Specialist in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, education, salary, benefits, sabbatical

Cons

lots of lay-offs, work life balance could be better

Advice to Management

improve work life balance

"Questionable values."

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inspiring vision. The executive team seems nice.

Cons

It is a popularity contest to get promoted, and the popularity is based on mostly male bias. I did not know that employees cannot apply to a job in a higher pay grade. Despite achieving all goals and getting high positive reviews for many years, I was not promoted. I did everything that I could think of - volunteering for internal projects, taking on more work and responsibility, partnering and collaborating to solve additional problems above and beyond my job. I “leaned in”. I did everything that I could to always come with a positive attitude. My manager used all kinds of reasons: you have communication and influence issues. You are too direct. You do not treat everyone the same (when I called out disrespectful behavior usually from an aggressive man). I watched my managers getting promoted off of mine and other people’s contributions. One male manager last year berated me in front of my team and his team because he was scared about a problem which he did not understand. My male manager, when I reported it to him, asked me why I was being so “defensive”. When I told management in the nicest possible way about operational problems that were going to hurt the business, I was told that my method of communication was “inappropriate”. When I tried to apply for higher pay grade jobs last year, they were put on hold or closed. When I went to HR and my manager with my job description and a detailed analysis of how I had exceeded the pay grade for years, my role was closed and I was redeployed.

Advice to Management

Stop using the emotional energy of the people lowest in the totem pole to run your business. Don’t use H1B to overwork people because they want to immigrate. Fix your HR process which only protects the interests of middle management sharks. Be kind to women, especially the breastfeeding mothers. Hire more minorities. Tell the truth.

"Autodesk Consulting and Customer Success Services-Keystone Cops but Not Their Fault"

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some good people, some good pay, some good benefits/perks, many can work from home

Cons

Consulting and customer success services seems to be some sort of organizational backwater where the priorities shift constantly, layoffs are a way of life, and it appears transparently now that the organizational powers-that-be are trying to outsource most or all to 3rd parties and standardize everything to make that easier..in an environment not conducive to standardization and where customers rarely want it. The almighty 'sabbatical' which is every four years six weeks off is the great benefit, but the vacation offered yearly is sub-par, so the sabbatical only compensates for this. If you make it to each four year mark without a layoff. Many fiefdoms and people who have been around forever who don't seem to care much about customers....accounting/legal departments notoriously numb and tone deaf to customer concerns relayed from the front lines. The consulting department must always justify it's own existence, and it seems it is now shrinking and the justification being made more difficult by onerous legal and accounting and other priorities which make it ever so much harder to do the already difficult job of making customers happy. The consulting department may be perceived by others in the company as incompetent because of the myriad processes which must be navigated just to get any work done at all. it is truly amazing when any real work gets done at all due to the process nightmare and more added all the time.

Advice to Management

This is to upper management levels...let consulting and customer success services truly focus on making customers happy, and seek to make meaningful and lasting...not superficial and temporary....improvements in terms of streamlining and less process so this can occur. Don't just give lip service. Things were getting better for awhile...now they are getting worse. And finally, provide some career growth opps and feeling of valuing folks like project managers, who are the unsung heroes of the organization that rarely seem to get much love or even respect from some others in the org and are treated by some in the org....not their management but others....like interchangeable cogs in a machine at best, and flunkies at worst.

8. "Good for people who are looking for a stable job"

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

stable you will have a comparably stable job

Cons

not flexiable running according to strict rules

"Is my position guaranteed here?"

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Benefits are really good. Can balance work life.

Cons

Constant fear that I am doing something I am not suppose to be, no one is telling you other wise. No progress report for the employee to see where to improve before management finalizes decision on the status of that person. Layoffs without telling why that person left. Can't tell if managers are there or just waiting for higher word to be distributed. How can one make big life decision if regular employees aren't guaranteed long term. "On-boarding" was a joke.

"If you lack ambition, this is the place for you!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues, convenient office locations, good work-life balance, never-ending opportunities for problems to solve, decent pay and benefits, ability to work from home on Fridays, employee stock purchase program and the San Rafael office allows dogs!

Cons

Extremely political organization with a culture of "no" - rather than solution finding.
    There's an internal policy that current employees cannot apply for jobs at a higher grade-level than their current grade-this is a real policy confirmed verbally by HR.
    Mediocrity and ineptitude run rampant and are rewarded and direct communication and innovative thinking are penalized.
    People stay here so long (many 10-25 years), which contributes to complacency and fear of change.
    Promotions come to people based on time-served and age rather than meritocracy.
    No directors under the age of 40 and lack of diversity (of any kind) in leadership positions.
    Lack of diversity contributes to homogeneous group-think, fear of innovation and avoidance of new technology.
    Managers are more concerned with pleasing their managers than developing their staff and doing what's best for the company.
    Lots of lip-service from the top, but the way they incentivize middle-management, this vision will never be achieved.

Advice to Management

Diversify your work-force (racially, and by gender and age), promote star players rather than people who have been around the longest and stop rewarding employees who lack integrity and talent.

Keep in mind - You can't change the culture of the company without removing those who are actively blocking collaboration, change and new ways of thinking. Good employees don't need a foam green chicken to reward collaborative (aka normal) workplace behavior.

Showing 1,421 of 1,657 reviews