Boeing Reviews | Glassdoor

1,432 Ratings

5,894 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge in some jobs but not all jobs fall into this category (in 116 reviews)

• Upper management not doing enough to value long-time employees that work hard (in 107 reviews)

1. "Great place to grow your career."

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn new skills or grow your technical knowledge

Cons

No production support in Oklahoma City

2. "Programmer Analyst review"

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

Different projects you can work on.

Cons

Typical big enterprises and organizations problem.

"Material Process and Physics Engineer"

Current Employee - Materials, Process, & Physics Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Materials, Process, & Physics Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. They automatically put 3% of your salary into a 401k and you are fully vested right away. They then match the first 4% that you put in, and then they match 50% of your inputs up to 8%. So, if you put away 8% of your salary into your 401k, Boeing will put 9% of your salary into your 401k.

Flexible work hours. This depends on your manager and your function, but there is the option to flex time. So, days when you have other things to do, you can work less and make it up later in the week.

Education payment. After working with the company for a year, you can begin to take classes towards a college degree.

Cons

The work is not very challenging. If you are looking to work on the guts of cutting edge technology, Boeing is not the place for you. You may get to play with cool toys, but it is unlikely that you will develop it. Most work involves integrating systems into a manufacturing environment and defining functional requirements.

There is way too much bureaucracy. It is extremely challenging to get anything done. Everyone needs to have a say and there is oftentimes a notion that something is not their statement of work, even though occasionally it is no one's defined statement of because of its novelty. So, there are instances where groups won't help you and also won't let you do it yourself.

Too vertical of a company. There are way too many layers of management. There are so many managers that just manage managers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers' advice and be able to accept bad news. There is a culture of providing BS to leadership because of arbitrary deadlines and the fear of saying no to a manager, even though their idea does not make any sense from a technical prospective. Leadership will lash out instead of understanding why there idea wouldn't be feasible.

4. "Customer Coordinator Inspector"

Former Employee - Inspector in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Inspector in Renton, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very Rewarding Company to work for, Job Training, Benefits,

Cons

I had a very good Career, None

Advice to Management

Try to give Every one a chance to Experience a great life at the Boeing Company

5. "Boeing for managers"

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

Great collective set of benefits, market comparable salaries

Cons

Forces managers to an average, bell curve performance review

6. "Power Tool Set-Up/Tool Room Clerk"

Former Employee - Power Tool Set-Up/Tool Room Clerk in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Power Tool Set-Up/Tool Room Clerk in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good working conditions, good pay, variety of people from all areas of the world work there, lucky to have a good management team

Cons

Forced overtime, parking situation, mgmt. is poor at training people but overwork their good people instead

Advice to Management

Train at least 3 people in key positions.

7. "Data Scientist"

Former Employee - Data Scientist
    Former Employee - Data Scientist

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Support of a large organization with access to paid training and educations opportunities.

Above average benefits, in comparison to other companies of similar size and complex structure.

Above average salary, relative to other large companies.

Stability, with few layoffs for engineering staff.

Many opportunities to grow and expand the careers of ambitious employees.

Cons

Politics, but this can't be avoided in a large company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Office administrator"

Pros

Great place to work!

Cons

None that I can think of at this time!

"Stable, Professional, Rewarding Work Environment"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I think of Boeing, the best things I think of are how stable and interesting the work is. There is a real respect among my peers for developing each other's skills on the job, and encouraging employees to grow. For technical employees, the Technical Fellowship program opens opportunities across the enterprise to contribute to product development and analysis. My team(s) are some of the best people I know from industry or outside of work. Boeing does a great job in the hiring process of filtering problems before they get a chance to be employees.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to get needed support during periods of high demand. Aerospace in general is a "feast or famine" industry, and working in bid and proposal or research and development one tends to suffer from uneven internal funding and hence support can be a problem. Successful employees (who work B&P or R&D) learn to develop strategies to cope with this, but it can be costly to work/life balance. I don't have any particular negatives... I feel like Boeing does a good job of measuring my worth and compensating me fairly... but that's why I'm on glassdoor (to see if that's true).

Advice to Management

Largely, stay the course. If there's something that could be improved, I'd say it's in mechanizing and automating the relationship between skills in demand and skills of employees. I'm not a manager, and I know there is such a system, but it needs to be less provincial. Mobilizing technical talent across the enterprise should be a priority. With virtualization, more people should be able to request and receive aid from experts across Boeing. I see a company leaning forward, but sometimes with inefficient or outdated IT support. This skill management function is one example. Another is in providing computer and software support. There should not have to be so many hoops to jump through to get computer hardware upgrades, or to use open source software tools. Linux should be an option on user workstations.

10. "Procurement Agent"

Former Employee - Procurement Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Procurement Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong support system for all employees. Competitive pay and the Benefits are second to none. Would return to Boeing without a second thought.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge in some jobs but not all jobs fall into this category. Big company that takes awhile for changes to happen.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to align pay scale to the outside market

Showing 5,894 of 6,435 reviews