Boeing Reviews

3.8
Boeing President and CEO David Calhoun
David Calhoun
1,785 Ratings

What people are saying about Boeing

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are Great and are the main reason Boeing gets away with how they treat employees(in 2233 reviews)
  • "This is especially true if you're a good listener and pay attention to what they have to share.(in 760 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and lot of oppurtunities to explore(in 713 reviews)
  • "There are a lot of great people that are very down to earth that I enjoyed working with.(in 644 reviews)
  • "Good salaries and work schedules(in 294 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management and very bureaucratic.(in 573 reviews)
  • "Don't worry if you get a good or bad manager because it will change in time.(in 359 reviews)
  • "Periodic and frequent layoffs during first 7(in 338 reviews)
  • "Management promote a toxic culture within the production team in particular.(in 221 reviews)
  • "value added layers of management between programs and senior leadership (such as division / business unit sectors).(in 169 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Boeing and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great company

Apr 1, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment to work in

Cons

No downside to work for Boeing

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for but some sites are underpaid

May 16, 2022 - Senior Propulsion Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. I've had excellent managers. Flexible work hours. Lots of PTO and paid holidays. Leadership is accommodating of work-life balance as long as you perform. Long list of programs and fields that you can work but the company will prefer to transfer you without a raise/promotion.

Cons

Typical bureaucratic defense contractor mindsets: "customer implied that we need to do this mindless, non-applicable task so by-God we're gonna do it and ask questions later!". Win at all costs to long term reputation and product capabilities. Company does not make great aircraft, they make aircraft that meet the requirements and not a thing more (and those requirements are usually not well thought out). Boeing is transparent enough to publish what they deem you to be worth (market reference). Ridley Park (Philadelphia site) is grossly underpaid as a whole. Have been told by leadership that "no one at this site makes market reference". Consistently called a high performer, hand-selected for multiple high profile programs, yet paid ~80% of market reference because "the job is exciting". Suppose I need to work a more boring position to improve my salary.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good workplace. Broken but Fixable Processes.

May 5, 2022 -  in Oklahoma City, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture/environment is fairly good, better than what is depicted in the media, at least in OKC. Benefits/retirement package is excellent.

Cons

It's really tough to get a significant salary bump. To get a significant increase in pay, be prepared to not only exceed/far exceed expectations, and do so for consecutive years, but you'll also have to get other offers in hand for higher compensation and demonstrate an impact to the business if you were to leave. Easily the most annoying thing about working here since OK doesn't have unions like Seattle or STL. The other con is, because these programs are generally pretty long, and attrition rates are significant, the knowledge transfer process is almost non existent. Be prepared to not know what you do for several months or even longer depending on the position.

4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

This is not an engineering job like I thought...

May 15, 2022 - Production Assembler
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not seasonally dependent or weather dependent. Not customer service based. Overtime available to those who can work that much. Holidays have team lunch. Most people are nice there. More or less autonomous.

Cons

Benefits: Are not benefits. They are ways to siphon your paycheck and pay health insurance companies. Which they conveniently switch at 6 months to completely different companies, so if you are going to apply here, elect to not do any benefits at least until 6 months are over (as you won't see any benefit and will just lose money). # Class Action? Environment: Hot with little to no airflow. Very noisy--in fact deafening without earplugs. Toxic gases from burning plastics etc. and otherwise sanded parts dust everywhere and acetone. Close quarters. Loud bell-whip that goes off like every other hour at random times when workers stop moving or talk too much. Mobility: No opportunity for advancement or pay raises. Moving to other departments is not inherently better. Hiring Process: Took a long time with a bunch of redundant paperwork. Two drug screens, and harassment over Covid agenda (at the time of hire). Pay: $15/hr doesn't cut it in So Cal. Periods switch from weekly to bi-weekly after 6 months.

5. 5.0

Good Company to Work for

May 26, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Boeing hired me on fresh out of college. Through them I was given the opportunity to develop a lot of skills. The Boeing people I work with all have the desire to mentor in some way whether that is just teaching you some skills or more.

Cons

Like any company that will attempt to pay you less if they have the opportunity. I think this has caused Boeing to loss some top notch talent over the years.

6. 4.0

Amazing people and capabilities

May 13, 2022 - Systems Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Boeing I love the people I work with and that I get to contribute to projects that are pushing new limits and are bigger than myself. Boeing's capabilities change the world. I love that there an endless number of opportunities and incredible variety of programs to work on across air, land and see.... and from R&D to optimizations and fleet services.

Cons

Because Boeing is a huge company, it can be challenging to navigate in organizations that are vast. It can be difficult to deal with public perception of a large, long standing corporation. From the outside (and even from within) it can be hard to understand what opportunities exist. Sometimes Boeing's large, slow nature can drown people so it takes a lot of personal initiative to get out of an area if isn't the right fit.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for IMO

Apr 30, 2022 - Software Engineer 3
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Work on bleeding edge technology - Very meaningful work. The job comes with a lot of responsibility. Whether in the commercial or defense sector, people's lives are in your hands. That's something I take very seriously and use as motivation. - I've always had great bosses, laid back work atmosphere, have gotten along with almost all my coworkers - You'll work with a lot of smart people - Boeing is huge, so there's _always_ something new to work on, all over the US and world, if you're looking for an internal change. - PTO seems generous. You earn more at a faster rate as you become tenured.

Cons

- From what I understand, at least for software engineers, the base-pay compensation is lower than industry average (as of spring 2022). Boeing even admits this. Changes may be coming this year to correct that. They've also recently began offering RSUs to close the gap. - Boeing is huge, so there's a lot of red tape, lots of bureaucracy. This is also something they're aware of and are striving to be more agile.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Bad for long term career. Low raises

May 24, 2022 - Manufacturing Engineer in Ridley Park, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits, no longer industry leading though. Good PTO.

Cons

Bad for long term career. Not the company it use to be. You will be paying a price for being loyal to the company. Low raises & pay if company/industry not doing well. Poor retention, very few senior engineers with almost no people that have 15-25 years since they were all laid off or left throughout the years. Management doesn't seem to understand that you can't design & build the products without experienced engineers.

9. 3.0