Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Capital Group President Philip de Toledo
Philip de Toledo

1,016 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance but little flexibility in work hours" (in 116 reviews)

• "Great benefits and a great culture" (in 152 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company emphasizes work life balance but it was not the case for me" (in 23 reviews)

• "Misguided senior management focused on change for the sake of change; lower salaries than other companies; death by consensus; too many meetings" (in 50 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I ever worked"

Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Capital has a strong culture that values collaboration and how associates deliver results not just what they deliver. Highly ethical. Our fellow associates are friendly, smart, care about each and the work they do each day. Some of the most inspirational and interesting people work here. In addition to the work they do here everyday they are musicians, artists, former professional athletes, yoga teachers, chefs, race car drivers, parents and community leaders. The interests outside of their day jobs goes on and on.

Cons

As with any company there can be annoying things that get in the way of getting work done or slow down results. Our industry is going through alot of change our company has to also - we are keeping up but it does require alot of our associates to do that.

Advice to Management

Continue to value all the awesome and unique people you have working here. Don't underestimate what they can do! Keep the good stuff coming - new benefits, new technology, new ideas.

Capital Group Response

Oct 18, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We take great pride in our values and employees and believe it is what truly sets us apart!

"15 years and counting!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the physical work environment (including amazing artwork).

Cons

The pace of change these days can get tiring.

Advice to Management

We are bringing in a lot of new senior managers these days and there isn't as much training on our Core Values and Culture. I think this is a miss since it is one of the best parts of working at Capital. If you continue to do that without training them on our Culture and Values, we'll become like every other Financial Services firm.

3. "Always Looking to Improve"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits and facilities. Always looking to improve how we are positioned in the market, how we do our work, how we engage/treat our people, and how we work with our clients.

Cons

Sometimes there is limited upward mobility depending on the area of the business you are in.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on associate engagement so that the associate base will continue to support the strategic strides the company is making.

4. "Retirement Plan Specialist"

I worked at Capital Group full-time

Pros

Professional Environment, Great Employees, Yearly Bonus

Cons

Little to no opportunity for promotion once you have worked in the service center. Company hires external employees instead of promoting internal associates.

Advice to Management

Do not overlook quality candidates that are already employed by your company. Provide more opportunities and guidance for associates wanting to change roles.

"Politics over competence"

I have been working at Capital Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits, access to research.

Cons

The company focuses more on promoting brown nosers than competent workers. I’ve worked in a few corporate environments and this is an extreme.

Advice to Management

You received horrendous employee engagement scores this year - change your priorities/culture.

6. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Capital Group full-time

Pros

The hiring experience was AMAZING. Capital Group moves quickly!!! The employees are all kind and majority have been there for quite some time which says ALOT of the company... besides the competitive pay, (which is also a plus!!) They have sooo much community outreach programs as well as personal and professional development... I'm excited to be working here ..

Cons

The office looked a little bit dull. Finance is changing and alot of offices are becoming more chic and aesthetically pleasing so a pop of color would be Nice! Other than that it's pretty cool they grow their own plants and prepare the meals from them

Advice to Management

N/A

Capital Group Response

Nov 8, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear that you had an amazing hiring experience and that you share in our love of community involvement and outreach. We are so happy to have you here!

7. "Client Services Specialist"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GREAT benefits! Benefits start the first day of hire - great training for those not familiar with mutual funds or the industry!

Cons

Management needs work. In my experience with large corporations, they were particular on who were managers, leadership qualities were a must.

Advice to Management

Don't let the title make you a different person.

8. "Client Services Representative"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

15% Profit Sharing, Annual Reviews/Raises

Cons

Hard to advance, cutting a lot of corners lately to the detriment of employees, low salaries, mid-level management inconsistent and often creates adversarial work environment, lack of advocacy

Advice to Management

Allow for more job rotation and deliver on promise of being able to advance or experience different workflows when ready, reward skill and productivity rather than who brown noses the most, survey and check pulse of employee satisfaction more often

9. "great benefits"

I have been working at Capital Group full-time

Pros

great benefits and work life balance

Cons

they are slow to promote

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Product Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

generous benefits, firm contributes 15% of compensation (salary + bonus + overtime, if applicable) to retirement plan with just 6 year vesting schedule

Cons

quite a few unskilled middle managers

Showing 1,016 of 1,092 reviews