Centene Reviews | Glassdoor

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"It was great! And then HealthNet came along."

Former Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the work and for 6 years was happy with what I did. I knew I made a difference and did my job well. Not many has the same skill set I did and there was always work to do.

Cons

1. It's an old white boys club. I say that as a white individual. It sucks that's how MFN rolls. They say they value diversity but they don't. They will have a token diverse person in an exec role but they're there to be a face, not make any changes or impact.
    2. They pay really well but that hurts when you leave.
    3. They layoff the good people and keep the undereducated white males. Why? See #1 above.
    4. They don't want you if you are female and over 40. Think I'm lying? See the number of females 40+ who got hit in the January "reorganization."
    5. HR is a joke. Talent acquisition couldn't find their rear ends with both hands and a map. So many excuses on why they didn't do their jobs.
    6. MFN said the HealthNet employees needed to learn the Centene way and the Centene way would prevail. He lied.
    7. They never entertained the idea of working from home. At all. Even a 25% WFH option would cut costs and improve morale.

Advice to Management

Read the list of cons and actually take action to make this more than a joke of a company. And think twice before you get rid of the good people.

"Good company. Decent pay."

I worked at Centene (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and I liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Too much coportate thinking and structure. I didn't necessarily work in that environment but I had to follow parts of it which was totally stupid.

Advice to Management

Let's stop trying to control people and give them good salaries, benefits, and feel like they are invested in what they do. CEO's don't need to be millionares. Let's get back to a democracy in this country. Shareholders aren't more important than the employees.

3. "Product Manager"

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

More up-to-date technology. More structure and accountability.

Cons

Working remote is not favored.

Advice to Management

Need better work/life balance.

4. "Great management team and great pay!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and bonuses! Room for advancement and they promote internally first before posting jobs outside the company. Good management team

Cons

Training is not the best. Management should involve everyone equally and be extremely transparent with information pertinent to ones job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees ideas if they are on the front lines in servicing the inquiries. They will be your greatest asset.

5. "Summer Intern"

Pros

Well paid
    Well developed intern program ( get to go to a Cardinals game on the company dime)
    Understanding/Flexible Managers

Cons

I was essentially lied to about the job I would be doing.
    Interview Process (They have you talk to as many teams as possible in a whirlwind day then you have to try and remember which person you actually wanted to work for when they offer you a job.)

"Very good company"

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay. Excellent opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The work can be a bit boring at times. Training seemed disconnected and could have been presented in a more linear manner.

Advice to Management

Computer systems used by the company are highly vexing. Confusing to have so many managers--many of whom I have never met or spoken with.

"Good pay, benefits, and job security. Poor culture."

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

On paper it is one of the best companies to work for in the area. Great benefits including free employee health clinic, event tickets, and competitive time off/holiday/benefits/401k match. Hours are very reasonable in most departments. Rapid growth means job security, opportunities for advancement, and transfers to learn new disciplines.

Cons

Company culture is poor. Managers, Directors, and Executives micro-manage and don't empower staff to make decisions. No accountability for poor performers, bringing down the morale of hard workers. It pays the bills and affords a nice work/life balance, but does not progress your career or provide any fulfillment from the work day.

Advice to Management

Empower staff at all levels to take ownership of their job responsibilities and hold accountable those who aren't carrying their weight.

8. "Excellent tax department"

Current Employee - Director, State & Local Tax in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director, State & Local Tax in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic, growing company that operates in lines of business that result in lots of interesting multistate tax issues. The culture is high-performance but the work-life balance is good. There are many smart and experienced professionals so it's a good place to learn and develop. Ideas are welcomed and considered. The company is growing so job security seems good. The company also does excellent work in the community; for example, listen to the story on NPR about the facility the company opened in Ferguson after the unrest there.

Cons

If you want a job that never changes, and you do the same thing every day, and doesn't present challenges, this may not be the place for you. Also, sometimes the hiring outpaces the office space.

Advice to Management

Ensure that there's enough office/cubicle space available in advance of hiring so that sharing of cubicles is limited to a few weeks, or eliminated altogether.

9. "Good company"

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary is offered to employees.

Cons

Not enough positions to offer for next contract.

Advice to Management

Keeping experienced employees is key.

"Senior Enrollment Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Good benefits
    -Overall decent management
    -Great company culture. There's a "champion team" that really tries to do cool events and keep employees engaged.
    -Diverse work environment

Cons

-Lack of organization (sometimes people just seem lost. From management and down)
    -Terrible project management. No forecast of work demand whatsoever, so thursday or friday you'll be told that there is an urgent need for saturday work
    -LONG hours during open enrollment (but you can't be mad at that, they tell you up front)
    -Ignorance of internal talent. Always hiring management externally
    -Kind of a lateral playing field. No clear options for advancement or growth
    -Zero percent professional development. Long orientation and then you are thrown in to learn as you go and these are people's ACTUAL HEALTHCARE FILES THAT WE ARE HANDLING. that is frightening.
    -Numbers driven. Emphasis on processing a certain amount of files. They are moving towards measuring quality. But it hasn't quite gotten there. You can fly by if you meet "tracker" numbers. MAY get audited. Scary scenario as well when talking about people's ability to access health care.

Advice to Management

-Hire from within.
    -Take time every couple of months to review knowledge
    -Specified training. Not just an intro to Softheon
    -Senior Enrollment Analysts and Business Analyst 1s LITERALLY do the same thing and the pay gap is WIDE. Employees are starting to notice. Get rid of that role or specify duties clearly
    -Hire management internally for the people that actually hang around, there is some real talent. They know the stuff. Allow them to lead
    -And from that, FIND A WAY TO GET PEOPLE TO HANG AROUND. Turnover is kind of ridiculous
    -You have a great business in your reigns and you are running it into the ground. Take suggestions from people in the trenches. Ensure that urgency and accuracy is a priority. And simply care about your employees and their work/life balance.
     As long as "putting out fires" and "meeting numbers" is the priority, no one is gonna wanna stay there. And Centene as a whole is a great company. Sad. (Specific to the Little Rock- Remington Location)