Centene Reviews | Glassdoor

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • A lot of overtime without pay, work/life balance is not a top priority here (in 58 reviews)

• Vacation time was hard to come by and limited work from home options (in 21 reviews)

"It was great! And then HealthNet came along."

Former Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the work and for 6 years was happy with what I did. I knew I made a difference and did my job well. Not many has the same skill set I did and there was always work to do.

Cons

1. It's an old white boys club. I say that as a white individual. It sucks that's how MFN rolls. They say they value diversity but they don't. They will have a token diverse person in an exec role but they're there to be a face, not make any changes or impact.
    2. They pay really well but that hurts when you leave.
    3. They layoff the good people and keep the undereducated white males. Why? See #1 above.
    4. They don't want you if you are female and over 40. Think I'm lying? See the number of females 40+ who got hit in the January "reorganization."
    5. HR is a joke. Talent acquisition couldn't find their rear ends with both hands and a map. So many excuses on why they didn't do their jobs.
    6. MFN said the HealthNet employees needed to learn the Centene way and the Centene way would prevail. He lied.
    7. They never entertained the idea of working from home. At all. Even a 25% WFH option would cut costs and improve morale.

Advice to Management

Read the list of cons and actually take action to make this more than a joke of a company. And think twice before you get rid of the good people.

"Growth is good,, but not prepared for success"

Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, opportunities for advancement, and diversity . The people who here for the most part genuinely care about the populations we server

Company may also be referred too as it's subsets: ECO, CBH, Nurtur

Cons

Nothing is being one retain excellent veteran staff.

In reorg fur almost 3 years.

annual merit increase. Only 3% at max.

When you recognize s problem, you are asked to run a work And find a solution, even if it's not an area of expertise for yourself .

of getting timely. responces , But I choose to thibk this is due to yhrm bringb
    we do get them, being overworked.

Ok lackck salary reviews, for those which have proven their worth. servers out atvkeast once aweek, ch simply has no control over, but the outcome expectations are the same. Staff are not fully trained, before expected to do certain types of work many

Advice to Management

Review all salaries and make fair adjustments. (many managers of staff have not had one since hire date), Or at the annual merit raise of 3% or less.

The range to the salary is not given or available to employees. Recently hired staff Make more than their experienced peers & sometimes 5K less than their own manager, who has years of experience .

The company' value system is not demonstrated by upper Management(sr directors & above). However, employs are not well-informed of these expectations and are penalized when they do not follow them.

Obtain a network server system that does not become overloaded & up to date software in order to cut frustration down and allow that they may do their work.

Hire enough persons in human resources , In order For them to be able to effectively And efficiently do their role .

Train staff prior to a go live date, so that those already in established positions, do not have to pick up the slack .

3. "Care Manager"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful staff, flexible work environment.

Cons

Workload can be high at times and difficult to manage. Management is supportive.

4. "Good Job."

Current Employee - PROVIDER Services in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - PROVIDER Services in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

management is amazing. the benefits are good.

Cons

time off is by calendar availability and sometimes causing you to loose you vacation time.

5. "Application Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Easy environment.
    2. Long Term Career Growth for employees.

Cons

1. Poor IT infrastructure.
    2. No proper Training provided for IT skills. If training was for provided to the employees on IT skills which the company requires, it would make Centene a top place for IT and would save the company millions of dollars.

Advice to Management

Centene needs to catch up on IT. Train your IT employees to expert levels. This would make them extraordinary resources.

"Head down, mouth shut, and you just might succeed."

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a good colleague here and there that you could trust. decent pay. full time hours. great insurance benefits.

Cons

cliques. you could tell who was teacher's pet. HR seems to be fully invested in kissing the backside of management.
    I had read reviews on working here prior to accepting the position (which, sadly, I was expected to accept THE DAY IT WAS OFFERED. Because, of course, you are to show respect only to your new boss. They aren't invested in any of the professional relationships you have and therefore don't understand what giving notice even means.) And I was told to run, don't look back, et cetera. And I thought perhaps it was all because of some disgruntled ex-employees who couldn't run amock.
    Little did I know the reviews were _solid_.
    You'll only survive in this mess if you're ok with things proverbially blowing up all around you. If you are good at turning the other cheek, you're gonna go far, kid.

Advice to Management

Get out. Replace yourselves with someone worth reporting to and someone who understands what it means to manage.
    Also, let's not pretend that some of the technology being used is complete trash. Stop using employees as scapegoats for the "numbers" you can't produce. (Or comprehend, for that matter) Despite you're saying otherwise, it IS the system. FIX IT. Before you sink your ship.

7. "Good company but doesn't promote internally"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Good Pay
    2. Tuition Reimbursement
    3. Great Hours
    4. Great colleagues to work with

Cons

This company does not believe in hiring internally from a pool of qualified candidates. I along with several other individuals have gotten to the point to where when we apply we wait for the "Dear John" denial letter.

Little small office gossip but that's every job you go to.

Advice to Management

Do not pigeon hole your employees, at least give them the opportunity to interview for a position if they meet the basic requirements. You will lose a lot of good workers that way. Honestly right now I don't feel motivated to come to work because I feel stuck.

8. "Growth is a challenge and an opportunity"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I have seen career growth in 4 years at Centene that would have taken me 15 to 20 years anywhere else. Centene is very fast paced and rapidly growing. There are fires that need fighting and lots of growing pains, but this brings as much opportunity as challenge. Make yourself useful in the right area and you will go far.
    - I have been blessed with some incredible leaders, although not all areas of the company seem to be as lucky.
    - Good benefits, good pay.
    - Acceptable hours. This may not be true for all of IT, but in my area it's not common to work more than 45 hours a week unless someone just likes to do that.

Cons

- Changing culture since the Healthnet merger. The values of the company overall have declined in the aftermath.
    - Some internal teams are very difficult to work with and take up to 6 weeks to respond to very simple requests or inquiries.
    - Competing direction given from upper management in IT. While some are embracing Agile and even DevOps, others are being pushed to enforce restrictive, regimented processes and things that oppose the very nature of Agile and DevOps.

Advice to Management

Don't give up on the values of Centene that made this a great place to work for many. Empower employees, trust them, equip them, reward them. Free them to accomplish great things and help them push back against some of the unnecessary bureaucracy taking root in IT. Demonstrate servant leadership. Share in your team's joy AND suffering in real time.

"CSR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Traffic is horrible in Baton Rouge.

"Program Specialist II"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Centene ( Illinicare) has great benefits, pay and work life balance. Co-workers are great and always willing to help out when asked. Location is convenient with two office locations (Westmont and downtown Chicago). The work for the most part is easy and the membership is great.

Cons

Some of the worst management, HR and upper level management I have ever worked for. Upper management makes decisions based off a spreadsheet not know how it really effects staff or members on the plan. Managers are hired with little to no management or people skills. And the ever changing processes on how to properly perform your job only to be audited on it from 3 months ago when the new process was not in affect.

Advice to Management

Pleas hire managers that have a skills set and not just a degree or at the very least provide training.