Ciber Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Madhava Reddy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I am extremely comfortable with the work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• Company is providing lot of work from home option (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees have gone without salary increases and bonuses as senior management filled their pockets (in 23 reviews)

• No growth or promotion opportunity (in 18 reviews)

1. "Good pay and supportive managment"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ciber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Pay and Benefits
    *Management is great and supportive

Cons

*Project Release could be tough if you are doing good in current project
    * I wanted re-allocation, but limited clients and openings made me eventually look for another option

Advice to Management

None

2. "Good work life balance"

I worked at Ciber full-time

Pros

good employee benefits with opportunity to travel and learn

Cons

Employee benefits were delayed and wasn't paid out in full.

3. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

benefits were low, Commissions, fast paced

Cons

long hours, long commute, pay to park, no breaks

4. "Great company to work"

I have been working at Ciber full-time

Pros

Very supportive and accommodating to employee needs

Cons

Business is dispersed all over US

"STAY AWAY - you can probably do better (at least in Orlando)"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Ciber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can work here to get experience.

You are left alone as long as your client sponsor doesn’t complain - basically if you are decent and want to just hide out and get paid reasonable this is a good place.

You aren’t really a “consultant” like they tell you - clients/sponsors don’t care what you think (usually). Ciber is really a staff augmentation firm - nothing wrong with it just don’t get delusions based on an inflated title.

I worked here for 5 years and bounced around, got good assignments for my resume to land a real career job.

They toss you $50 visa gift cards from time to time to say “thank you” and they will pay towards your mobile phone bill if you press for it.

Some people may like that Ciber employees are allowed to have beer and cocktails while on the Client clock during business hours as long as the Client isn’t aware, doesn’t complain, or is with you while you consume. I personally do not approve but listed as a pro as there are different opinions on this topic.

Cons

No growth or promotion opportunity. I was passed over for a “secret” unposted promotion (the 2nd of such made available in the 5 years I worked there) and told “it wasn’t local management choice who was promoted, everyone was selected by corporate” so I received no feedback to improve. No clue what the people promoted did differently from me. Side Note: I suppose promotions aren’t real at Ciber anyway as you can title yourself whatever you want in your signature blocks and notify parties of the new role you just made up. Worked with a BA who fancied/titled herself a “Delivery Manager” and told select individuals she was now suddenly their superior over them “and 40 other people.” Another example was a BA who decided to change her title to “Project Manager” and informed her real Project Manager, the Client, and project team members. Yet a third example is a Project Manager who told me she was my superior and I had to begin working through her for Ciber-related questions and concerns and that now I needed to schedule weekly 1:1 touchpoints with her. None of these examples were actually true per my confirmations with Ciber corporate. Zero consequences from Ciber for any of these individuals and they were admittedly permitted to keep and communicate out their made-up titles and false “claims of superiority” over people “to not disturb the Client relationship.” Frankly immature, absurd behavior and unprofessional all the way around. Imagine the confusion, embarrassment, and liability to be working with these individuals knowing Ciber supports this type of nonsense. There’s a suprising number of these examples - far more than just these 3. Not everyone understands these are simply creative individuals who landed at a company oddly willing to support their fantasies.

No employee performance review process.

Client/Sponsors are permitted to work you 50+ hours every week (not every once in a while, every week) and to give you horrid lowest-level assignments (such as proofreading for weeks at a time). Nothing is done to protect you from this type of abuse - you’re stuck until assignment ends or you resign. Basically there’s a risk of expansive black holes your resume where you aren’t doing activities relevant to your profession.

No overtime, expected minimum work week is 50+ hours.

Ciber doesn’t respond to employment verification requests. Not a huge deal, but know this if you ever buy a house or start exploring other opportunities.

Don’t give notice - I was called and told to not come in after giving notice (cut off insurance and pay same day) under “employment at will.” Wasn’t under any kind of performance plan, was repeatedly told “everything is great they love you.”

There’s no bench time to bridge you between assignments. Don’t believe what they tell you about this. You will be let go if you aren’t picked up - you are really more like a contracter with a W2 instead of a 1099. Even with this huge risk you don’t get paid over 40 hours - ever.

Ciber will allow poor employees to linger as long as a client is willing to pay for them: A Ciber employee was harassed and called “racist” by another Ciber employee to the extent of she was leaving articles on her desk and sending her “reasons why you’re racist” via Facebook. Even scheduled a meeting to sit us all down to explain why the other employee was racist. Just unbelievable actions that were all reported. The victim (and the rest of us) were told to tolerate this behavior and “work it out” with the other Ciber employee to “not disturb the relationship with the client.”

5 years of service and my only 2 pay raises received I had to either resign and receive as a counter offer or demand and fight for.

When you leave, vacation isn’t paid out and if you “owe” it comes out of final paycheck. Speaking of vacation, don’t expect much. You have to burn PTO on days your client is closed if Ciber doesn’t recognize the holiday. With only 6 paid holidays from Ciber, this means burning a lot of your measly 10 days - even burning before you earn them is beyond your control.

Benefits have been consistently cut over past 3 years - insurance and programs aren’t great but could possibly save you from bankruptcy if your appendix explodes.

401K - not worth even mentioning really: 50% match up to 6% of your salary or it caps at a couple thousand. FIVE year vesting.

Because drinking alcohol during business hours while on the clock is permitted and frequently done by some employees, I’m concerned that safety isn’t a top priority for employees of both Ciber and Ciber Clients.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your people. Defend them when they ask for help. If you allow your people to be mistreated then your actions are saying “we just need you in that seat billing.” Eventually we don’t see you as human either.

Be reasonable with people. Cutting my notice short by 1 day... Cheating me out of 1 day of pay after I gave you ~1,700 days of my life? That’s 5 years you MADE money off my back. Really? 1 day? Classy.

Give people feedback. REAL feedback - where you sit down in a room and really talk. Not just quick hallway conversations.

Not so great benefits can be overlooked if employees feel as if they are valued and treated well. But you can’t be poor at both and expect folks to stick around. One or the other should be addressed as soon as possible.

The client isn’t always right.

Focus more on employee safety.

There’s more important things to running a quality organization than number of billable seats. If you do and act right, there will be more billable seats out there than you can manage. Billable seats are the result, not the input to a great operation.

"Decent"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Ciber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits weren't great. Better than nothing. 401K is below par.

Cons

You are really a contractor, not a consultant. You can get let go once your work is done. No planning, no career growth, better than 7-11. US employees are slowly being replaced by H1Bs from the HTC buyout.

7. "Good company with work to do."

Current Employee - Account Partner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Partner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ciber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people trying to do the right thing

Cons

A long uphill climb to get where they need to be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work you will eventually get there.

"Senior Business Analyst"

I have been working at Ciber full-time

Pros

Contracts and relationships with well-known companies

Cons

Company doesn't care for employees; care only for the client

9. "Better now"

I have been working at Ciber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In rebuild mode! Lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

A bit chaotic as we settle, but getting there.

"Sinking ship, get off while you can!!"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Ciber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NONE the company is a total mess, just look at their stock price!

Cons

Management is a group of people that combined could not scope or manage an IT project it their lives depended on it. Full of hot air and NOT remotely connected to the industry.

Advice to Management

Resign