Fiserv Reviews | Glassdoor

Fiserv President, CEO, and Director Jeffery Yabuki
Jeffery Yabuki
1,015 Ratings

1,938 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Very proactive in creating a positive work/life balance (in 202 reviews)

• Ability to work from home for a Fortune 500 company (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • difficult work/life balance, no bonus for employees (in 60 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't work closely with associates to better understand roles" (in 67 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Getting better all the time"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fiserv's management cares. I mean - really cares. About employees as people, about the work and takes pride in it, about its customers and its ability to service them in a forward thinking, competitive way. Do they get everything right every time? No, but who does. Salaries are competitive, promotion avenues are plentiful and exercised regularly, career paths have multiple growth opportunities, and many positions come with bonus earning potential. Standards are flexible and logical, and largely adhered to. Input is freely asked for and accepted from the workforce to management, and historical tribally accepted directions are questioned for validity when appropriate. Work from home opportunities abound, both partial and full-time at every level. And people are generally nice, hard working, and desiring to get the job done. Fiserv stock options available within the benefits package as well at discount. Employee appreciation program can be quite lucrative too, offering a gift card based thank you system ranging from $50 to $1,000.

Cons

Medical/dental package - leaves something to be desired, but what large scale employer has a good one with what has happened in that industry the last 5 years? High deductible + HSA is the only one with a somewhat reasonable premium.

Fiserv will take whatever you give it. The careers here are demanding. Maintaining a work/life balance is YOUR responsibility, not Fiserv's.

Advice to Management

Let's continue to keep the reorgs to a minimum so employees can get acclimated to their role and thrive within it. We did well at that this year. Communication from the top down is also getting so much better. Can we find a better medical & dental package though? And please, please, please, let's get rid of Red Brick.

Dec 27, 2016 – Recruitment Manager: Social Media & Candidate Experience

We truly appreciate detailed feedback - your summary and specific insights are valued for their accuracy and transparency! We will make sure this gets shared with the appropriate internal resources ... More

2. "Senior QA Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fiserv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ESPP benefits education opportunity for advancement

Cons

Disjointed corporate culture, frequent layoffs.

3. "Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have to be a self-starter at Fiserv. The bar is high and is constantly raising. This type of environment is not always meant for everyone. I have found it to be one that is very rewarding - there's always a new challenge and the hard work pays off. Leadership values their associates which is demonstrated in strong raises, promotions, lots of R&R, and flexible work arrangements.

Cons

The company was built through acquisitions. This has its challenges - systems that don't talk to each other, silos at times, etc. Currently, Fiserv is transforming to overcome these obstacles which makes it an exciting and challenging time to be apart of the company.

Advice to Management

More investment is needed in unified systems

Jun 13, 2017 – Recruitment Manager: Social Media & Candidate Experience

Thanks for the kudos! We agree, the mission is to One Fiserv, and we appreciate each and every associate whose efforts are pushing us closer every day.

4. "good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Fiserv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good work culture , work life balance

Cons

everything is good. no worries .

"Everyone is looking to leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Fiserv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally good comradery with team members, good pto time, decent benefits

Cons

Direction of the company is focused on share holders, no regard for working level employees, company has gotten too "big". Salary is far below industry. Tenure means nothing. No loyalty to the people that have stuck with the company for 10+ years.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people that keep this company functioning on a daily basis and less on making campus "pretty". No one cares about a t.v. screen displaying the time and weather being hung in the stairwell, they'd rather see a bigger paycheck and feel appreciated. Everyone feels expendable, fears for their jobs being shipped to India, or knows their opinion means nothing to the corporation.

"Typical corporate environment"

Former Employee - Grunt Worker in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Grunt Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Fiserv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some really fantastic people. I wish I had more positive things to say about working here, truly I do.

Cons

Runs lean, doesn't adhere to it's own policies, upper management is clueless about what goes on day to day to it's employees who work beyond reasonable hours. 24/7 shop should have shift workers even for customer service positions.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and don't run them into the ground.

7. "Fiserv takes without giving back to its employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Nice office
    2) Good coffee
    3) Casual dress-code

Cons

1) There is an expectation to work evening, weekends, and holidays without compensation
    2) Unequal pay for women
    3) Little opportunity to advance
    4) Not LGBT friendly

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, pay fairly, if you take a lot from your employees you have to at least give a little.

Jun 22, 2017 – Recruitment Manager: Social Media & Candidate Experience

Fiserv is committed to fair employment practices and to creating a positive and diverse workplace free from discrimination. If an associate feels that we have not upheld our responsibilities in this ... More

"Laid-off After 22 Years Service With TotalPlus Group, 4 Years To Retirement"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst, Senior in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst, Senior in Austin, TX

I worked at Fiserv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexible hours, remote from home, many training sessions available on a variety of topics.

Cons

Poor management, poor planning, lack of creativity in how to best utilize employees' talent, too many meetings that accomplish nothing.

Advice to Management

1. Do a better job of matching employee talents with available work groups. 2. Do not mislead your employees regarding available assignments. 3. Before a layoff, consider asking an employee if he/she would consider a reduction in salary and/or a reduction in work hours.

"Great People, Horrible Bosses."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I will say that it depends very much so on your area. Fiserv is divided into many divisions and subareas. But no matter how awesome your team is, or your boss, if your leadership is bogus, you're going to get fed up.

I've stayed with this company because of benefits:
    - great facilities (Alpharetta) (gym, coffee, wellness center, cafeteria)
    - work from home (I get more work done at home than I do at the office)
    - decent amount of time off
    - pretty good benefits
    - flexible work arrangement/hours

I work with a lot of intelligent, hard working people who make working interesting and fun. A shared passion for problem solving means that some people take their responsibilities seriously.

My direct manager is open and honest, supportive of growth, personable, and sticks up for our team.

Lots of potential for new projects, increased efficiency, working together and growing your knowledge.

Cons

Leadership: (VP+)
    Leadership can't translate strategy down to reasonable goals.
    Constant "burning fires" and "need this yesterday" due to poor planning and communication.
    Leadership refuses to communicate or be transparent
    Is not a part of "the team" mindset. But are entities unto themselves.
    Does not work as hard as their teams.
    Promotions and raises are minimal and insulting for anyone who isn't a VP or Sales.
    That said, you have to "earn" a position before your promoted to it. (You have do do the job/level that you want before they'll consider promoting you to it.)
    There is no leadership mentoring.

Pay
    -Yearly "merit" increases are laughable - they don't match inflation, let alone merit.
    ---if I work 50 hrs a week and do excellent "above expectations" work, my coworker works 40 hrs a week and does "acceptable work", it quantifies into nothing.
    - But if you make too much, and aren't 'in the club', beware of layoffs. '

This is not a employee focused company. It's a company that asks you for blood, sweat, and tears, and then asks for more.

Inefficiencies in priorities, task assignment, and goals mean that we're wrapped up in "run work" and can't focus on getting out of the trenches. Ideally, that would be something leadership helped with. But whatever leadership does is a mystery to the people doing the work. Monthly dashboards shouldn't take 2 weeks to create and 2 weeks to work out.

Advice to Management

--Work for your people, because they work for you. You are not above them. And without them, you would not hold your position.
    --Be a leader, not a follower. Empower your people to do their best and reward them. Situational leadership is a real thing.
    --Look ahead. Put in the effort to be organized and efficient, and don't waste time. If you're not trying, why would your team?
    --Communicate your successes and your failures. We want to know what you're doing, and how what we do influences what you do. We don't expect you to be perfect, so don't pretend to be. Admitting when you're wrong is not weakness. Admitting when you don't know the answer is not weakness.

May 31, 2017 – Recruitment Manager: Social Media & Candidate Experience

Thank you, truly, for sharing these details -- while it's tough to hear, this type of transparency is very valuable, and has been shared with appropriate HR leadership. Our goal is to foster a ... More

"Crisis management, lacking leadership, no real change"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Remote work, though it's too often abused and drains teamwork and collaboration.

Cons

Everything is a crisis, and it shows in the quality of the product. Clients are constantly complaining about missed deadlines, lack of engaged product management, and business development (sales) people who vanish after the SOW is signed. Compensation is deflated far below market, so hiring the right quality of talent is nearly impossible. Unfortunately management wants to stick its head in the sand about this and not deal with it, and top management in our division doesn't hold anyone accountable. Rather than address problems they double-down and ignore those holding the division back. Lots of talk about about changing the way they do business or being a 'Best Employer', but no action. Senior management is highly political and not focused on creating the right outcomes -- they talk constantly about situational leadership, but I've yet to see anyone demonstrate it. And continued RIFs. Forget work-life balance amid the RIFs, they force more work to the same few people who are capable. It's a recipe for disaster. I wish I was being RIF'ed as staying here isn't getting any better.

Advice to Management

You've set up metrics, but you don't live by them. You need to hold people accountable to mandates. Recognize when leadership is leading by example, you got rid of someone a couple months back that was making a difference here and cared about his team. It was a huge downer when they got rid of him and the people replacing him aren't qualified. And your C-Level leadership isn't ensuring their vision is translated, so it looks like we don't have one. Start updating your products, we're running on REALLY old tech and your teams don't want to change.

Jun 6, 2017 – Recruitment Manager: Social Media & Candidate Experience

This is definitely not the type of review we like to hear, but we appreciate you being transparent about your experience, especially in the details. We have shared this review with our local HR ... More

Showing 1,938 of 1,998 reviews