Rylem Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 3, 2019

3.5
Mike Dades

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Back in 2014, great people took a chance on me and hired me" (in 4 reviews)

• "Welcomes new ideas all the time" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is a decent amount of turnover but similar to other staffing agencies in the area" (in 3 reviews)

• "You hear bad reviews more than you hear positive ones" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Loved it!"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong Winning Culture. Great Pay and Benefits, Lots of fun at work, Really good commission plan, Lots of support from my peers and boss, Great location, Huge client list to work with,

Cons

Every company I've worked for has had it's flaws. There wasn't anything that really stood out to me here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Special place. Great team!"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in South Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in South Seattle, WA

I worked at Rylem full-time

Pros

I consider my time at Rylem very special. It was a great place to work and I enjoyed it immensely. We were provided with ALL the sourcing tools I could ask for...LinkedIn Recruiter, Indeed, CareerBuilder, Dice, Monster...internal training. In my 20+ years in the industry, I've never worked for an org that supplied me with this many tools! It really made a difference. I was able to leave no stone unturned in my search for top tier tech talent. Owner is very generous and always treated me fairly. We worked hard and played hard and it paid off. It's hard work, but it's also great fun. Stressful at times but that's agency life. Great team. Great place to work.

Cons

I don't really have too many cons. Most people who post bad reviews probably didn't have the work ethic to hack it at Rylem. Work hard and you will do well. Only con would be maybe not a path to management but a great stepping stone into the PNW tech staffing world. You will learn a lot...fast.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

3. "Best recruiting company I've worked for"

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The owner of Rylem knows recruiting inside and out. If you're willing to raise your hand and ask for help, you'll definitely get it. Really strong client base and uncapped earning potential. Not willing to take advantage of a client to make a quick buck.

Cons

It's a company built for star performers. Negative employees could have been removed faster. These dissidents kill our vibe.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction you are. Don't put too much weight on negative Glassdoor reviews. We all know it's only the down-cast, who write nasty reviews.

"Fun, at a cost"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Owners liked to have offsite events and they weren't in the office much
    Gave people without experience a chance
    Fun environment

Cons

When the owners came back from long lunches you never knew what would happen
    Decisions could be different depending on the day
    Wouldn't allow people who wanted to work and not party the opportunity

Advice to Management

It was best when you let someone else run things who had management experience.

5. "Great Company, Newly Developing Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I recently left my position at Rylem, but have spent the last 3+ years with the company.

Rylem is a genuinely fantastic company to work for. At Rylem, your coworkers, supervisors, and (maybe most importantly) the owner, genuinely care about you and your success.

Agency staffing isn't easy, but Rylem will give you all of the tools you need to succeed.

The culture has changed and evolved a lot over my time at Rylem, and it is admittedly, in flux at the moment, but the company has a great core of young salespeople and recruiters that are driven and excited, and will make great mentors for you if you're looking for your first step into the world of agency recruiting.

The owner is also fantastic about working with you directly to find ways to evolve your role and take on more responsibility.

Compensation and benefits are also just as good, if not much better, than competing companies.

Cons

Agency staffing is tough, and it's definitely not for everyone.

You're much less likely to succeed at Rylem if you're the type of person that needs a ton of direction and hand-holding. This is an environment that lends itself well to "go-getters" and people who can be very self-directed.

The company is also pretty small, but you will still have access to more tools and resources than you will find at many much bigger staffing agencies.

Advice to Management

Continue to build Rylem's culture around the positivity and energy that our newest hires on the sales side have brought. Rylem has been amazing to work for when everyone is passionate and excited about what they're doing. Lean into that!

"Starbucks Perks"

I worked at Rylem full-time

Pros

Offered lots of perks with unlimited food and snacks and Starbuck's visits; game room with giveaways every Friday; an overall fun place to work

Cons

Some members of management should not be involved in daily operations

7. "I refer friends to Rylem. That's how much I liked my time there."

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, Autonomy, commission, fun, good clients, co-workers, opportunity

Cons

some negative co-workers, indecision, unorganized,

Advice to Management

Rylem has allowed negative or unmotivated people to stay employed there longer than they should (hoping they'd improve?) You're either positive or not, you're either motivated or your not. If not, move them out and protect the rest of us.

"Beware and good luck!"

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the team I worked with and the mentors I have gained from working at Rylem!

Cons

Training is non-existent at Rylem. They may even try to sell you on how amazing their training program is, they’re lying. You will learn everything on your own and then soon be training the people that are hired after you!

Performance is measured by metrics but metrics aren’t enforced and have been the same for years. They may scare you with a PIP but don’t worry, nothing will happen to you and you may even get promoted!

They have meetings for everything.. You'll have weekly 1-on-1 meetings with management to "discuss your metrics" but they'll talk for 90% of that meeting about nothing important. You'll also have weekly recruiter meetings for "training" that are led by recruiters or sales managers because there isn’t a recruiting manager. On top of that, you may have another company meeting just because! Stand-ups happen every morning and typically take 15-20 minutes.

The commission structure is terrible! You get your commission at the end of each month for the previous months work. Most agencies aren’t structured this way and you’ll constantly be thinking about where 92% of your commission is going.

Management continues to have “favorites” and seem to only recognize these workers as top performers even if they’re not. They are the definition of micromanagers who do not listen to their employees and react negatively to new ideas!

Advice to Management

Talk less, listen more.

"Former glory, but now please turn around and run!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let me get this straight: I will forever be grateful to the people who helped me become an outstanding Recruiter and invested in me. Back in 2014, great people took a chance on me and hired me. That was the definite starting point for a successful career.

Cons

However, all of those amazing mentors and leaders are gone. They were the heart and soul of Rylem, the real backbone. Two of the original three founders split up and left their life’s work behind to the now CEO and sole-owner. They didn’t want to bet there anymore!

Rylem used to be a ‘work hard, play hard’ place with a great culture and fun stuff going on all the time. Unfortunately, it developed into a micro-managed environment with strict hours, no flexibility and toxic leadership. Fun activities or happy hours feel forced, and alcohol seems to be the only way they know how to do ‘fun’.
    There is no consistent training. There used to be a great program for sourcing and recruiting, but both leaders in charge of that are – you guessed it – gone. Sales training is and has always been very inconsistent.

If you think about joining, think twice and ask yourself: Why would the CEO of the company advertise attending an elite college when in fact, he never did. Turn around and RUN.
    Rylem has become a prime example of a terrible workplace. If there was an award for ‘Worst Place to Work at in Seattle’, they’d be competing for it.

Advice to Management

Look at other companies and how they do it. Finally, learn from your mistakes, don’t just say you did, but do it. Or step down and let professionals run the company back to its former glory.
    You can’t make people trust you. In fact, if you try to make people trust you, they’ll end up trusting you less! Maybe think about that for a minute and let it sink in deep.

"Great starting point for recruiting career"

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Taking early ownership of your own work

- Recruiting training was thorough and had structure, good environment for people who are looking to transition into recruiting or looking for a career straight out of college

- Promotes communication (selling, negotiating, diplomacy) and administrative skills

- Welcomes new ideas all the time

- Small company, promotes positivity and collaboration in what is traditionally a competitive, insular line of work

- Very goal-oriented culture, not just professional but the owners care about your personal goals too

- Encouraged to stay in touch with our candidates post-placement

- Some group activities I liked were the book club, game night, boat day & bbq in the summer

- Fast promotion and salary increases in the first year, decent benefits

Cons

- Rylem welcomes all kinds of personalities, but to be successful in agency-style recruiting, you definitely have to have driven, scrappy, and competitive. Not competitive in the sense you're racing against your coworkers, but recruiters from other agencies. This kind of mentality encourages interacting with candidates and clients before/after work hours, which could interfere with work/life balance.

- Sales (business development) is clearly the toughest area, you have to be the kind of person who doesn't mind going after thin leads and cold-calling, as well as being very persuasive in-person.

- There was a period when all we had were contests (who could call the most, who could make the highest margin, etc.) which were entertaining at first but became annoying and pushy over time.