Rylem Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Kim Richardson, Mike Dades, and Guy Rosman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I only left them because I changed from contract to full-time with that company (in 3 reviews)

• This behavior creates a great culture where people want to help each other being successful (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The Management team is extremely unprofessional and difficult to work for (in 4 reviews)

• You will be asked to write a good review in your first week while you're still on that new job high (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great starting point for recruiting career"

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Taking early ownership of your own work

- Recruiting training was thorough and had structure, good environment for people who are looking to transition into recruiting or looking for a career straight out of college

- Promotes communication (selling, negotiating, diplomacy) and administrative skills

- Welcomes new ideas all the time

- Small company, promotes positivity and collaboration in what is traditionally a competitive, insular line of work

- Very goal-oriented culture, not just professional but the owners care about your personal goals too

- Encouraged to stay in touch with our candidates post-placement

- Some group activities I liked were the book club, game night, boat day & bbq in the summer

- Fast promotion and salary increases in the first year, decent benefits

Cons

- Rylem welcomes all kinds of personalities, but to be successful in agency-style recruiting, you definitely have to have driven, scrappy, and competitive. Not competitive in the sense you're racing against your coworkers, but recruiters from other agencies. This kind of mentality encourages interacting with candidates and clients before/after work hours, which could interfere with work/life balance.

- Sales (business development) is clearly the toughest area, you have to be the kind of person who doesn't mind going after thin leads and cold-calling, as well as being very persuasive in-person.

- There was a period when all we had were contests (who could call the most, who could make the highest margin, etc.) which were entertaining at first but became annoying and pushy over time.

"Great Team, Terrible Management"

I worked at Rylem full-time

Pros

All the recruiters and sales people are hardworking, dedicated individuals. I could not have asked for better coworkers while I was there. They did their best to create a supportive and fun environment where I learned a lot. The recruiters go above and beyond for their candidates and you can really tell how passionate they are.

Cons

If it hadn't been for the management team I most likely would not have considered leaving. They micromanage their employees to the point where it impedes getting work done and regularly make offensive comments that make multiple employees uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

I head that one manager recently stepped down to a non-management position. If that's true it's really concerning. She was the most approachable and helpful manager and the one everyone respected and admired. The rest of the management team needs to let go of their egos and really listen to the employees. You have some exceptionally talented and dedicated people, listen to their concerns and reward their hard work.

"Time for someone to speak the truth."

I worked at Rylem full-time

Pros

They buy food from Costco and might take you to a ball game. Cool.

Cons

If you're looking at Rylem's Glassdoor page a little weary about accepting that offer they so happily gave you, RUN. It's time for someone to finally say what goes on there. Yes, 90% of these good reviews are FAKE. You will be asked to write a good review in your first week while you're still on that new job high. Do yourself a favor and look at the replies to the reviews on here. If you write a bad review, you get a condescending "let me tell you why you're wrong" novel. They don't hire good talent, they hire people they can manipulate. And if you're not easily manipulated, you're out of the club. It is a disgusting environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves. It's time to let this dying business go.

4. "So far, so good!"

Current Employee - Assistant Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Recruiter in Seattle, WA

Pros

Management puts more of a focus on professional development than any other company I've worked for. Great culture, great opportunities, and lots of potential career growth.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind at the moment. Management has been transparent and honest throughout all of our communication. Pay could be higher, but don't we all wish for that?

"Terrible company to work for. Feels more like a cliquey fraternity."

I worked at Rylem full-time

Pros

Decent pay, fun parties. A good place to get entry level experience since everyone leaves Rylem as fast as they can, and almost no one stays there, they're usually hiring.

Cons

It isn't about the quality of your work here, it doesn't matter how well you do, if you dont fit into their clique they'll find a reason to fire you.

Jan 26, 2017 – Manager

Dear former employee, I am really sorry to read you feel that way.

Our culture is fun, inclusive and our motto is best described as "Work Hard, Play Hard." It sounds like you at least... More

"Great culture, dedicated staff, has its quirks"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rylem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was at Rylem for less than a year and I was able to learn the basics and key points of recruiting that I was able to be taken seriously and hired on at a reputable company; it's a place that fosters your motivation to grow (as a recruiter) and perfect sourcing/recruitment practices

- Great culture, fun people, awesome senses of humor (the greatest people I have had the opportunity to work with),
    - Great office (it honestly felt like a second home to me and was incredibly tough to leave)
    - Very approachable management (the owners are always down to grab coffee and chat)
    - As long as you're laid back AND have a strong motivation to work/work ethic, you'll be good
    - It's also a very team-oriented environment, so that's cool
    - Probably the best work/life balance in town (for sourcers and recruiters; can't really speak on behalf of sales)

Cons

- Management is still working out a few things, so it can seem a little disorganized from time to time
    - Some of the priorities are a little outdated
    - Very reliant on VMS, so you don't truly know the reqs or teams that you're recruiting for
    - 401k package isn't anything to write home about, but the other benefits are good
    - It's very hierarchical
    - Not a lot of room for actual career growth (might just be because it's a small company, so you can't blame em')

Advice to Management

- Need more seniority in every position.
    - Invest in a thorough, consistent curriculum design for new hires
    - Be more leadership-focused than management-focused

Jul 6, 2016 – Manager

Hello former Rylemite,

we appreciate your open and honest feedback and will take it to heart. It's so great to hear you learned everything you need to know to be able to move onto a better... More

"Former Internal Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

Pros

As a consultant, there are very few agencies in the Seattle market that will care about you and treat you as well as Rylem will. I can’t think of anyone I worked with at Rylem who wouldn’t go above and beyond to do whatever it took to do right by their contractors. Great benefits, amazing internal operations to ensure pay, benefits and other HR functions for our consultants are always running smoothly.

As far as internal operations go (Sourcers, Recruiters, Sales)- Rylem is a great place to be, but is not without it’s flaws. Rylem isn’t perfect, but what company is? Above all else, Rylem is a great place to be if you want to enjoy being at work, make great money, and build a career if you’re new to staffing/recruiting. Rylem’s training and development program is second to none. Probably it’s biggest problem is retention, due to large tech companies like Google and Amazon poaching all of it’s employees. But management has done a great job at making Rylem a place that’s hard to leave, for me at least.

Rylem isn’t for everyone though. Personalities can definitely clash, and there have been a lot of negative experiences here, as some of the feedback below shows. There’s a lot of criticism, much of which is true, or somewhat true. But a lot simply comes from disgruntled employees who probably didn’t perform well, or didn’t work well with others. There certainly is a lot of room for improvement at Rylem, but management truly does make a concentrated effort at always hearing out its employees, and making improvements to the business, the culture, the policies, and anything else it can. They want you to enjoy working there, and they want you to be successful.

For me, leaving Rylem was tough, but that wasn’t the case for all people. As I said, it’s not right for everyone. But it’s a great place to learn, develop, and/or make a lot of money, in place that for me was fun and down to earth.

Pros:
    - Management that cares about you personally and professionally, and is always striving to find ways to improve.
    - Exceptional training and development; if you are a young professional looking to get your start in recruiting, look no further.
    - Highly competitive commission structure and base pay
    - Very laid back, energetic and down to earth culture (which will probably not be right for a lot of people)
    - “Work hard, play hard” mentality (I know everyone says that, but it’s really the culture at Rylem)
    - Amazing clients to work with a recruit for (Amazon, Expedia, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Microsoft, and more)
    - Free food and drinks
    - Awesome office space (think techy industrial look)

Cons

Cons:
    - Increasing lenience on VMS accounts, which can make it hard to find opportunities to redeploy contractors at the end of their contracts
    - Consistency and follow-through with new ideas and policies is not strong, to stay the least
    - Somewhat prescriptive policies in terms of how to do your job (although metrics and numbers at Rylem are a lot less intense than most staffing agencies, from what I’ve heard)
    - The culture could be a con to some people; if you’re an extremely buttoned up and serious professional who strives to separate work and personal life, Rylem will not be the place for.

Advice to Management

-Continue building up the sales team to bring in new clients and more jobs
    -Hire one or senior recruiters who will bring more innovative and outside of the box sourcing and recruiting strategies to the business

8. "Got offered different rates for the same position at the same time"

I worked at Rylem full-time

Pros

The Location is cool, there is a Dog in the office, and the Office decor is different

Cons

They have a High turn over, definitely the lower (lowest) end of the spectrum in regards to staffing agency performance, success rates, as well as professionalism.

Example:

Got offered different rates for same position when they reached out to me and the guy who literally sat and worked right beside me for the same role and offered him less money when we had similar work experience and educationIn the same 30 minute span might I add

Advice to Management

Make sure to offer the same pay rate to your candidates for the same roles. you never know who works and sits with who else and everyone talks.

Jul 6, 2016 – Manager

Hello former employee, we take all concerns very seriously and I would like to take a moment and respond, assuming you were a permanent employee with us, because that is what it reads like.

As... More

"Rylem: Great Culture! Great Work and Awesome People!!"

I have been working at Rylem full-time

Pros

I have worked with other recruiting companies in the past, and this has by far been my best experience! Working at Rylem is not Just about the amount of work we do but also the quality of work, the relationships we create- both in house and with our customers and candidates. Adding the little fun moments every now and then in between the work just makes it an awesome place to work!.
    - Great work environment
    - Very friendly and helpful people
    - Decent pay
    - Lots of fun!
    -Great Work ethics!
    Mike, Kim and Guy are really supportive and even though they are the owners, they are always available to be reached out to.

Overall great experience!

Cons

I have not yet found the cons so far.

Apr 19, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you very much for your kind words! We will continue to provide the great environment and try to improve whenever possible.

"Sourcing Boot Camp and more"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Rylem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rylem hires people people who are not employable in the industry and trains them to be great Sourcers and Recruiters. They give all the tools, teach techniques and strategies to be successful. To my knowledge, no other agency invests so much time and effort.
    Sourcers and Recruiters work hand in hand and new employees have lots of opportunities to learn from Sr. employees & ask all the questions. This is unique.
    This behavior creates a great culture where people want to help each other being successful. I personally really enjoy that and learn something new every day.

Cons

Some employees don't see the value in "powered by the people" and chose to not participate. This isn't really an issue on a daily basis, but appears to be a problem once in a while and is simply distracting. Get everyone on board!

Advice to Management

Be a united front, sync on daily basis and treat everyone fairly. There can't be any favorites or a different treatment based on feelings that could get hurt.

Also, create incentives for people to stay 2+ years. Because they are trained so well, they can go recruit for other companies and people get recruited out of Rylem a lot. Try and stop that!

Apr 19, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for the constructive words and feedback!