Toast Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2019

4.1
Toast Inc CEO Chris Comparato
Chris Comparato
Pros
  • "I'm thrilled to be a part of the Toast family(in 44 reviews)

• "Unlimited PTO is real as long as your putting in work to deserve it(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "I haven't personally experienced anything that could be considered a 'con' in my time at Toast(in 27 reviews)

• "The standard growing pains of a growing company(in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The rocketship that just keeps on flying"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm thrilled to be a part of the Toast family. Since starting here, I've seen the company evolve from bands of engineers to highly disciplined, cross-functional teams. The opportunity that we have to become the leader in the restaurant POS industry is the kind that you're lucky to see even once in your career. It remains a privilege to work alongside the incredibly talented team here. Things haven't always been... perfect. The last time I reviewed Toast, I had to include a few cons: that work/life balance could sometimes be stretched, that there was no 401k matching, and that compensation relative to the industry was a little on the low side. Management here listens, and the proof of that is that a little over a year later, all of those concerns have been addressed. Compensation, including equity, feels right for Boston. The 401K match was overdue, but is finally here. The hiring of additional engineering leadership has helped make individual teams function more efficiently and plan their workloads better. We do stupid things a lot less often. For those of us who have been around longer, we are even now also offered a "Toast sabbatical", a one-month long paid vacation provided in additional to your normal annual PTO.

Cons

This is not the kind of workplace you can expect to perform the bare minimum in. Is that even a con?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The time spent addressing employees concerns has not gone unnoticed.

Toast Inc2019-02-15
  2. "The Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - BDR in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture, team attitude, no ego, work hard play hard

Cons

None it’s the best place

Toast Inc2019-09-25

"Great Product - Ok Leadership - Below Avg. Pay"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product is years ahead of most competitors. The potential upside is massive. Tons of green space.

Cons

- Far too corporate for what they tout as a place to grow your career quickly - Compensation - Limited Stock Options: act like they are already a publicly traded company and don't use this strategically to incentivize employees to stay. - Time to Pay - Atrocious - Limited Career Growth - Nothing Defined Internally - Sales Leadership is "ehhh" - not impressed - Chris CEO, enjoys the limelight doesn't really... provide much substance.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to scale from other successful SaaS companies in the area. Hire a more tenured Growth Ops Team. Be more transparent about short comings and don't present everything through a rose colored lens (we aren't stupid). Pay your sales org. Next 6 months are crucial.

Toast Inc2019-11-14

"Horrible Middle Management, Great Otherwise"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Clientele Great Colleagues (for the most part) Good Product Good Senior Level Management

Cons

Lies Work- life balance Middle Management Favoritism Credit Card Processor Posing as a POS Solution

Advice to Management

The classic Corporation mentality, even though their clientele is about family and taking care of all involved. The Founders and CEO are great along with other pieces of Senior Leadership, however the majority of management is solely focused on burning their employees out. When it comes to Field Reps that are nowhere near the Organization, there is a significant lack of understanding, acceptance, and work life... balance. Management takes the approach of what can you do for me, instead of how management is generally set up in orgs. (especially start-ups) with their focus on What can I do for you to help all parties to succeed. Toast needs to get back to the ground of "Play as a team; win as a team" not "do this or else" - as they currently stand today. DO NOT TAKE a position in the field if you have an appreciation for your own well being and life. There is no understanding that people are people and that everything is not for the org. Majority of District Managers and some of their superiors are only interested in the IPO if it comes to fruition. No care about the individuals on a day to day basis, just the overall corporate structure to make their wallets fatter at the end of the day. Steeping on one another and stabbing people in the back is a normalcy within Toast.

Toast Inc2019-11-04
  5. "Worst Company to Work For - The worst of Frat/Sorority Culture In Tech"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I worked at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to be in the movie "Mean girls", and only wear pink on Wednesdays and say "you can't sit with us at lunch" this company is for you! Frat culture and sorority culture with huge lack of professionalism. Drinking is a must to fit in. If you do not drink, you will be passive aggressively shamed as "not cool". Ageism is prevalent here. If you are over the age of 25, you are "old" and "not cool". You... will be shunned from your team in a silent passive aggressive way that doesn't get anyone doing the shaming in trouble. You feel like you are pledging Zi Beta Pi at Toast for class of 2019 and the pledge master doesn't care about how smart you are; they care about how popular you are. This is not what "tech" is supposed to be about. Complete culture miss.

Cons

This is the worst company to work for. The pay is extremely low compared to market rate. The amount of work is ridiculously high. According to Toast, work life balance consists of drinking free beer in the pub and attending drinking parties sponsored by the company. The company disregards diversity (people who do not drink), and does not give back in ways a tradition employer does (401k match has a vesting cliff... for employer contribution matches). Less parties please, and put the money into the "benefits" you say you offer.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the drinking parties and invest your money in the benefits you offer, like the 401k. Low blow by providing a "401k" that has to be vested for one year before employer contributions count. That is super cheap and makes the employee feel undervalued. Vesting cliffs are for stock options, not 401k's.

Toast Inc2019-11-18

"Couldn't even put up with more than three months here"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

They had great benefits and a decent community feel amongst team members. I didn't dislike my coworkers, I thought they were all great people.

Cons

The work was trash. I worked as a Tech Expert at Apple for three years and I though THAT was bad. They sent us to Omaha to "train" when it was a waste of time and money and we sat in a classroom and looked at powerpoints. The work was beyond overwhelming in their support section, I knew a few people there in other roles who would constantly say they wanted to quit. Tier one support is treated like dogs. And they... expect you to stay in that position for at least two years. They cared more about taking on more restaurants than they did training them. An excuse I would hear often was "well sometimes the restaurants didn't want training" which is absolute garbage when you have restaurants calling in who have been live for a week and never closed their cash drawers, don't know how to log into the app, and so many other basic stuff that they should have been trained on.

Toast Inc2019-10-04
  7. "Toast Review"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started my sales career here at Toast about a month after I graduated and I couldn't have asked for a better company to start my sales career. Sales Associates (SAs) are given all of the tools and resources that are needed to be successful in this role. I'm incredibly grateful for the culture and collaborative sales environment that Toast fosters. I can't speak highly enough of the resources offered to SAs... that help to advance their careers. As someone who struggled as an SA early on, I can confidently say that if you are willing to work hard, are receptive to coaching, and have the desire to be successful, the possibilities are endless.

Cons

As with any company that is growing as rapidly as possible, there are always going to be growing pains. While there are definitely things that I think could be improved about the company, senior leadership has done a good job of being very transparent about all of the changes that are happening within the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing! Being transparent and approachable are two traits that every sales manager/executive in the organization possesses. As we continue to scale and grow, these are two things that are very important!

Toast Inc2019-09-20

"Good benefits. No work-life balance"

Current Employee - Implementation Project Manager

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

4 months of paid parental leave. The company is growing.

Cons

Highly stressful work environment. Staff are overloaded with tight deadlines and you get very little practical help from management. Very little transparency into department-level initiatives and strategy.

Advice to Management

I can the number of management who have worked directly on a customer implementation on one hand. You cannot rely on your management skills to effectively govern implementation staff and clear roadblocks if you have no idea what struggles they face on a daily basis.

Toast Inc2019-10-22

"Toast"

I worked at Toast Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits that came with the company, they provided great benefits like free snacks, beer, great PTO, sick time, maternity leave etc. Great coworkers, etc

Cons

The managers, they did not build you up to grow your career, they only cared about their careers, they cared about profit, they had a "no ego" saying but it was all about ego in the office.

Advice to Management

Teach your managers manager skills

Toast Inc2019-09-26

"Great Place, Great Growth, Great Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Toast Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Core Values, Market Vision,Product Need. Credit to the founders for sticking with the plan and executing.

Cons

Company is growing lightning fast, this means lots of work, work hours and stress, if you can't take the heat, you may not want to enter the kitchen!

Advice to Management

Core values will be shaken as you bring people in from big companies. You will need to adapt. Take a chance on some of the managers that have been there a while instead of hiring outside. If you do hire outside, prep for start up culture.

Toast Inc2019-09-25