Toast Inc Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in November 2018.

Interview

The initial call with the recruiter took place 3 days after I applied. The recruiter was great—she was very knowledgeable about the company and the role. 6 days later, I had a phone call with a manager. I learned more about the company and we did a mock call. Another 6 days after that, I had my in-person with two managers and then a Q/A with a current BDR. Later in the day, I got an offer. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the interview process—it was quick and everyone was very friendly! I was especially impressed with the recruiter, Christina. Before each of the interviews with the managers, she contacted me to let me know what to expect. She even offered to call me on the weekend if I had any more questions! I interviewed with several other start-ups in Boston and Toast was by far the best experience I had. Thank you, everyone!

Associate Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview process was pretty good - it took a few weeks of follow up to get some answers, but that is to be expected in the summer months of recruiting/hiring.

The interview experience was pleasant, the office managers keen on needs during my stay. The interviewers were helpful in teaching me about the role to see if it was a good fit. Culture fit and background both played a part in the interview process.

Interview Questions

Toast Inc Response

Feb 12, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

I'm very happy to hear you had a nice experience and are now part of the Toast family. Welcome to the team!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

This was by far the worst interview process I've ever been a part of. The HR team should be ashamed of how they treat candidates and if their HR team is any indication of how the company operates then this is an ignorant, slow, sloppy place run by children. Not only was the process terrible, but the people I interviewed with here were terribly rude and had a lot of EGO which is surprising since they make a big show in their core values talking about how there's "no ego". They place a lot of emphasis is placed on silly things like free lunches, their constantly in demolition mode office space (which smells rancid btw) and doing things the "toast" way versus building a quality technical product. Many of the people I met with werent as savvy as I would expect. I mentioned that the management team i met with was rude and I cannot find a more accurate word. They're clearly drinking their own kool-aid and have no consideration for people; constantly interupting candidates after asking them a question is no way to conduct an interview. I'm sorry, but all the free bread and company parties in the world are not enough to work at this place.

Interview Questions

Toast Inc Response

Aug 22, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience interviewing at Toast and I would like to apologize on behalf of the organization for leaving you with such a bad taste in your mouth... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process for consisted of two phone screens. The interviewers were extremely nice and intelligent. They were more concerned about my thought process throughout the coding challenge than writing code to solve the problem at hand. Hints and suggestions were given and overall the process was a very pleasant learning experience. Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Easy to Medium programming problems. Similar to problems found online on sites like HackerRank or LeetCode   Answer Question

Feb 12, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for this review. Hiring decisions are made based on a number of factors and those factors change very regularly. I would strongly encourage you to keep an eye on our openings and continue... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewers did not seem prepared at all. Did not seem like they coordinated with each other on what type of questions to ask. During the on-site, all-day interview, two out of the six interviews asked questions that were only tangentially related to the position I was applying for. And incidentally, these two seemed to be the more senior employees, who seemed to not know what they did not know and, hence, a bit proud on what they did know. I'm sure they are very knowledgable in their respective areas, but that attitude of thinking what you know is the only thing that matters is NO way to scale a company.

Two other interviews seemed okay, although mostly non-technical in nature and the interviewers seemed happy to talk about Toast and themselves most of the time. Again, why would you want to spend that much time and energy to bring someone in for a technical interview, if you're going to spend 1/3 of the time not asking technical question?

There was one design question & white-boarding, and the interviewer seemed utterly disinterested. When I turned around to look at the interviewer from the whiteboard, he was on his phone, not even pretending to pay attention. He didn't even seem to be aware of different concepts and patterns I was talking about. Pro tip: have someone more experienced give the design question. Or, if your organization doesn't have someone who has the expertise in design, then recruit someone who's at least familiar with the terminology.

The one out of six interview that had the relevant technical questions was way too easy and straight-forward, as in anyway with a couple weeks of experience would have been able to complete the exercise. I did appreciate being able to use an actual laptop. I would advise, however, in having the candidate bring their own machine, as some candidates might prefer use their own keybindings + shortcuts.

All in all, pretty appalling experience. It's evident that Toast will have a hard time recruiting talent and scaling beyond what the top of the org chart knows or think they know.

Interview Questions

• Design this thing that that's irrelevant to the job you're interviewing for.   1 Answer

Feb 12, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

I really appreciate this feedback. We take the culture of Toast very seriously and sometimes spend more time looking for that fit than we do on the technical side. Obviously both are valuable and... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

After a phone call with their technical recruiter there were two remote interviews via collaborative editor and webcam. Then they invited me out to an on-site in Boston where there we did 3 whiteboarding interviews, a conversational interview, and lunch over the course of 5 hours.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that given a series of stock prices, returns the times at which to buy and sell to maximize profit. (+ variations of the question with different details, e.g. one transaction per day/series, multiple transactions but only one in-flight at a time, etc)   Answer Question

Feb 12, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I would encourage you to keep your eye out for other roles that entice you. Our needs are always evolving and we would welcome future... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Toast Inc (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial contact - November 2016
    First Scheduled call - last week of November 2016 ( she rescheduled after calling 20 minutes late to a 30 minute call)
    Second scheduled call - 2nd week of December 2016 ( Didn't call) and no response
    today is January 17 - no response

after a couple of months of applying, they reached out to me to schedule a call that week, I selected my available times but recruiter didn't get back to me - no issues, I emailed her asking to confirm, after a week of doing so she scheduled a call for 30 minutes. she called 20 minutes late and asked to reschedule which I did and that's it- she never got back to me! no emails, no phone. I tried contacting them multiple times but never got any response. I even wrote to the Manager but never got any response.

This is the kind of experience no candidate wants to go through, I really loved what toast was trying to achieve but this is just not acceptable.

Jun 30, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your post. I’m disappointed to hear that this was your experience with us and sincerely apologize. There is definitely room for improvement here. I will follow up with the team to... More

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through a friend who worked at the company. All the interviewers were very polite. First round consisted of a technical phone screen. Second round was onsite, where I was interviewed by multiple people throughout a halfday, mostly technical, and one culture interview.

Interview Questions

• Two part question: Given a list of prices for a stock, and one buy option and one sell option, find the optimal price to buy, then sell.

then, given unlimited options, but capacity for 1 share, redo the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA) in December 2018.

Interview

I did not get a very good vibe from this place. Talked to maybe two people who seemed smart and I would have liked to work with, everyone else seemed boring and full of themselves. First of all, I've been in the industry for four years and have never been in an hour long interview where I couldn't understand what the interviewer was asking for. She was long-winded and couldn't verbalize what she wanted me to do. After that I was like, this is dumb, I don't want this job if this is the best they have to show to potential candidates. I would've left if I could but went through with the rest of the interviews anyways. The recruiter kept saying that they were deciding if they wanted to hire me, and that it was promising, and just to wait till next week. I had no intention of ever working there but wanted to see them spin their wheels for wasting my time. Eventually the recruiter asked if she could call me and I said sure. Never got a call. Overall extremely unprofessional, moreover it sounded like their software was a pile of you know what because they only hire "code monkeys". What a joke!

Interview Questions

Toast Inc Response

Mar 13, 2019 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for the candid feedback. I’m genuinely sorry that you left our interview process with a negative perception of Toast. This is absolutely not the experience we want candidates to have with... More

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Toast Inc (Boston, MA).

Interview

I received a coding challenge, then moved on to phone screen with the recruiter then a, technical Interview with an engineer.

Later told I passed my interviews but that management was no longer interested in hiring entry level engineers.

Interview Questions

Toast Inc Response

Feb 20, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing this feedback and I am sorry for your experience. As with most growing organizations our priorities can shift quickly depending on many factors. I would have preferred that... More

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toast Inc in May 2015.

Interview

2 Technical Interviews. All screen share and coding based, no stupid questions. Straight down to business and personally I think thats how interviews should be.

1st Interview - Create an sample android app.
    2nd Interview - Code Java question.

Interview Questions

• Sorry guys I can't share the question.   4 Answers