3M Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 4, 2017

2.8

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Champaign, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

Talked at career fair and got an interview the next day. Easy to approach at the career fair and the scheduling and set up for interviews was organized. Overall process was good

Interview Questions

• Group experience, time had to make a difficult decision, experience on resume you are most proud of   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for 3M

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Technical interview was conducted by 6 managers and a high level process engineer. There were situational and statistical questions throughout the interview that were typical of any interview but what was most interesting was the statistical questions involved.

Interview Questions

• Draw and explain a standard distribution curve and what the first three sigmas are and what they represent.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in December 2016.

Interview

Escorted me to the interview room, very cordial low stress environment. Comfortable process generous with details about the position and the company. Good explanation of benefits answered any questions that I had about the position. Free tape

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed, I did an on campus interview first. This was very casual, mostly asking about my specific interests and why I wanted to be at 3M. Lots of questions related to culture fit. From there, my resume was forwarded to a specific department that I was interested. A manager called me to schedule an 'interview' where he essentially asked why I liked engineering, my school, etc. After a casual conversation I was offered the job, then got an email later.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in 3M? Why did you decide to become an engineer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Typical college career fair recruiting process: talked to a rep, applied online, got an interview on campus. However, I didn’t hear back one way or another for months. There was pretty poor communication. The HR processes were being transitioned to a new system at the time.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter at career fair and received an interview for the next day. I spoke with two people, one who was hired recently into the position I was interviewing for, and another who had been with the company for many years. I was asked about my research, teamwork and leadership experience, as well as challenges I faced during grad school. At the end of the interview, they also asked if I had any questions for them.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Hit it off with a rep at a national career fair. The rep and i discussed medical devices and she passed me onto another rep. This next rep signed me up for an interview with the 02 Intern program, which I had not properly read up on. Interview was to take place a few hours later, and I had another interview before it that I was prepping for, so I neglected to read much about 3M's 02 intern program.

My interviewer was admittedly cranky because she hadn't eaten lunch. She was abrupt and unpleasant. She stopped me mid-interview to tell me that I should have read up better on the position she was interviewing for. It was not a fun interview. Largely my own fault. Though I never want to interview with anyone with this woman's disposition again, even if I am properly prepared and qualified.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at 3M in August 2014.

Interview

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions

• None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3M (Irvine, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M in October 2013.

Interview

It was a very basic on-campus interview. They asked about my research and some behavioral questions following that. It was not for a specific opening. They basically just appended the notes taken during the interview to my profile in their database.