3M O2 Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.8

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Tonawanda, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter by phone for an interview. This went well (mostly behavioral questions, why the position, why the company, applicable experience, etc), and I was invited onsite the next day or so for an interview about two weeks later. There was no warning, but a few other candidates for the position were interviewing the same day. The day was composed of a lunch and plant introduction, followed by (depending on your schedule among the group) a plant tour, a process-specific tour and interview, a peer interview (EHS and QC engineers), and a behavioral interview (recruiter and plant manager). All the interviewers were very open to discussion on specific topics and appeared generally engaged and friendly. They responded very well to good questions. Being personable and interested along the way seemed to help in the process and helped me make a good impression. I received an offer by phone the day after.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example of a time when you had to adapt to a change in the end goal of a project, and how did that happen?   Answer Question
  • Why are you applying for this position?   Answer Question
  • Asking about resume points, teamwork experiences, leadership qualities like people management and influence, and explaining any oddities (e.g. different backgrounds).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not attempt to negotiate. 3M typically gives a standard rate and is hard to budge.

Other Interview Reviews for 3M

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cordova, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Cordova, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Round 1 was a phone interview with basic behavioral questions.

Round 2 was on-site. They let you know beforehand that you'll see your competition, which was only one guy. More on him later.

There's 2.5 interviews and a tour. Both interviews are with plant managers. Standard behavioral questions. The interview after that is with a couple guys who recently went through the O2 program and there's no set questions they ask. They take you on a brief tour.

Up to this point I had no problem with the interview process. But what happened afterwards, not so much.

The interview was on a Friday. They told me I'd hear back from them next Monday or Tuesday. This never happened. I followed up with an e-mail a week after the interview, and no response. It wasn't until almost a month later that I got an e-mail saying that I didn't get the job.

This part I'll try to say with as little ego as possible: I was able to talk to my competitor before the interview and he had a master's degree with (as far as I could tell) no experience. I have a bachelors, two internships including one in manufacturing along with five years experience in another industry. My non-technical skills also blew his away. I'm not sure it's relevant, but he was a middle-eastern guy (I think) while I'm just a white guy.

So the guy with better academic credentials who could tick the diversity checkbox beat the guy who had tons of actual job experience.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a difficult problem you had to solve, and how did you go about solving it?   Answer Question

O2 Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M in March 2016.

Interview

I applied in a job fair. I did a first phone interview (Behavioral Questions) with an O2 manager. after that I did a second phone interview with 2 managers (since I was unavailable for a personal interview)

Interview Questions

• typical behavioral questions
      talk about yourself
      describe a time when you had to go above and beyond
      describe a time when you took initiative
      ...   Answer Question

O2 Engineer Interview

Interview

Hired out of the intern program. There was an interview with the hiring manager as well as the engineers within the group. Overall the process was pretty informal. I found out the day after I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• When did you have conflict in the workplace and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

O2 Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview

First was a phone interview. Second was an in person interview. Two part interview. First part was behavioral with managers. Second part was peer interview with engineering team. There was also a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you successfully utilized skills or information to motivate or influence others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nevada, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at 3M (Nevada, MO).

Interview

I first met with 3M through the career fair at my University. I was then given an on campus interview. The on campus interview consisted of interviewing with two engineers from the Nevada, MO, plant. Approximately 4 weeks later I set up a plant interview. The plant interview consisted of two interviews. One, was with the plant manager, HR, and the hiring manager. The second interview was with an engineer who works at the plant. A week after the plant interview I received a phone call giving an update to the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were the basic situation interview questions when I was being interviewed by the plant manager. When I was being interview by the engineer, the questions were more general in nature.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Springfield, MO) in April 2011.

Interview

First we met for breakfast at the hotel with one of the Supervisors. Then after that we headed to the plant where we were given a brief presentation about 3M and the city of Springfield. After that I first did a panel/peer interview with some of the engineers currently working there. Very easy questions, typical behavioral questions. After that I went on a plant tour. Finally I did one last interview with the head Supervisor. Again easy questions. After that we all went to lunch. Everyone was very nice, easy to talk to, and answered any questions I had. It was a great experience and why I accepted their offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were presented with a difficult situation. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • What are some leadership experiences you have?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not given the opportunity to negotiate, but offer was very good and their benefits are pretty good too.

O2 Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

great communication and process, treated very well

Interview Questions

• situation where you had to tell someone something awkward   Answer Question

Negotiation

flexibility with location and projects but not on salary