American Cancer Society Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2018

2.8

Community Manager - Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Atlanta, GA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online, received an email roughly a week later to schedule a phone interview for the following week with a talent acquisition team member at a corporate location. I then scheduled a second phone interview with the team at the location I was applying for during the following week. A few days later I was asked to come for an in-person interview and was told via phone that I did not get the position a week after that. The entire process took roughly 1 month.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to apply for this position?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for ACS?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe an experience you had with goal setting?   Answer Question
    • How would you motivate/recruit volunteers?   Answer Question
    • Describe how you handled a situation where there was conflict between you and a volunteer or between two volunteers.   Answer Question
    • How would you go about scheduling your days?   Answer Question
    • How would you begin to build relationships with volunteers in your territory?   Answer Question
    • What is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you are qualified for this position?   Answer Question
    • If hired, what are the first three things you would do in this role?   Answer Question

Email Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Atlanta, GA) in April 2018.

Interview

The process was Great! Phone screen, then hiring manager, then in person/on site. It was clear that they wanted it to be a mutual process to make sure they were a good fit for you just as much as you would be a fit for them.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing you disliked having to do at one of your previous roles.   Answer Question

Director Estate and Gift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (West Palm Beach, FL).

Interview

I applied for the job of Director of Estate and Gift online via Indeed.com. I received a call from someone at ACH to set up a telephone interview. Later I had the telephone interview with generic questions, such as "name your strengths." Followed up a week or so later by an in-person interview with two representatives of American Cancer Society in their West Palm Office. They later called me to tell me that they hired someone from within the company.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2018.

Interview

Begins with online application then progresses to telephone interview. The process emphasizes how applicant handled various skill-related situations in the past. Focus on skill sets identified for the position and prepare yourself with specific examples.

Interview Questions

• To describe a situation where applicant discovered an error in their own work and how they handled it   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

The interview itself was standard. It began with a phone screen which was followed with an interview with the hiring manager. The final interview was to be a face to face with other team members. The initial two interviews went well and the HR person invited me to a final interview. After early communication with the HR department regarding times, the communication stopped from the HR department stopped. There was no follow-up, no update on my application, no closure on whether the position was filled or closed.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR followed by in-person interview with hiring manager. Submitted plan for 30/60/90 days following in-person interview. HR reached out and offered position with salary.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want this position   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application online and 1 week later I received an email from HR to set up an interview. The first interview was with an HR recruiter through Skype and we went over my resume, job description, experience with customer service and tech software, and some questions about experiences related to the job. After the screening interview, I had to take a typing test and a multiple choice test about basic technology and internet related questions. The passing rate is 50 wpm for the typing test, I believe. The next week I had an interview with the hiring manager, who explained the role further. The second interview was all based on the STAR behavioral questions format, and was about 40 minutes to an hour long. The hiring manager and the HR recruiter were really friendly and supportive during the interview, and were happy to answer questions I had for them.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with difficult individuals in your previous experiences?   Answer Question
    • How do you remain calm in a stressed situation?   Answer Question

Cancer Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted two days later for an phone interview. After the phone interview I was asked to take a technology assessment and a typing test. Both were pretty basic and easy. They are looking to make sure you can type more than 50wpm and the technology test is not timed but they the lady that interview me said people tend to finish in 10-15 minutes. I think there were close to 40 multiple choice questions on the test. After I passed both of those, I was contacted for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of me touring the building, shadowing someone already in the position, and then a Skype interview with the hiring manager. The questions were mainly situational and they expect you to use the STAR format when answering. They contacted me 4 days after my onsite interview with a job offer. Everyone I interacted with was extremely helpful, professional, and kind.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to ask difficult questions to a customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had a lot going on and how did you handle it   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work from home? Why do you want to work for the ACS?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to learn a new database, how long did it take you to be comfortable with it   Answer Question
    • How do you prefer to communicate with people   Answer Question
    • Do you prefer to work as a team or individually   Answer Question

Community Manager - Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online with Indeed. Received an email two days later requesting a phone interview. The interview was brief, 30 minutes, but seemed to go well. We discussed some challenges of the job - long hours, evenings and weekends, plus a good bit of driving/traveling in the community. Overall it was a good interview, she skipped the cliche questions and asked about my experience and how it relates to this job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give an example of when I worked in a metric driven environment.   1 Answer

Income Development Specialist Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a lower level employee reading interview questions over the phone. It totally a FORM type interview and not one where they truly wanted to get the best out of the candidate. I reviewed many of the basic customer service interview questions but was surprised by some of the more basic ones that threw me off guard. The person interviewing needed a specific answer and if you didn't have one, you were forced to answer so she could check off a box.

Interview Questions

• What internet browser to you use?   Answer Question
    • How do you notify your employer when you are sick?   1 Answer