American Cancer Society Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Cancer Society Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2017

2.8

Community Manager - Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online with Indeed. Received an email two days later requesting a phone interview. The interview was brief, 30 minutes, but seemed to go well. We discussed some challenges of the job - long hours, evenings and weekends, plus a good bit of driving/traveling in the community. Overall it was a good interview, she skipped the cliche questions and asked about my experience and how it relates to this job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give an example of when I worked in a metric driven environment.   1 Answer

Community Manager Role Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied for the Community Manager role earlier this year. About a couple days later a recruiter reached out to me and scheduled a phone interview. The following week I had the phone interview with the recruiter. The recruiter answered all my question. Shortly after the phone interview I made it to the next round of in-person interview. The second interview went extremely well. I was told by the staff that they would make a decision and pick their top 2 candidates would be asked to do a final interview in-person. I didn't hear for THREE weeks that I made it to next round. I was told in the pervious interview that it was going to be an in-person interview, but it was changed to a phone interview. I thought it was strange it was going to be a phone interview for their final round of interviews. The lady who did the phone interview was kind and answered all my question. Although at the end of the interview I was told to come in for ANOTHER Interview in person.I gladly accepted although something did not sit well with me that the fact they needed to interview for the fourth time. I went in for the fourth interview and I got mix signs. I just knew by the end of it that they did not know what they were doing.
    . At the end of the interview I asked when I would be hearing back or what their time-line was. Both the interviewers awkwardly looked at each other and said they were not sure what their time line was. At that moment I knew right then and there they had no idea what they were going and I was being dragged along. The next day I found out I did not get the interview from two separate sources. I received a voice mail saying they decided to not fill the position. Shortly after I got an e-mail saying they decided to go with other candidates. It was TWO different reasonings. Shortly after I called the recruited to clarify on why I didn't get it, because I got two separate messages. The reason I am writing this review is for others to learn from my experience. If you have a bad feeling about a company while you are interviewing with them- listen to it. I was very disappointed how the American Cancer society handled the interviewed process. They were inconsistent and not communicative through out the whole interview process. This was a two month long process.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Phone interview with questions relating to job description and talked about details of the position including travel and working odd hours. The interview was set up after I was contacted by email.

Cancer Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX).

Interview

1. Apply online
    2. Short conversation over the phone with recruiter
    3. Computer skills assessment
    4. 1.5 hour onsite interview and shadowing of current front line staff
    -- Interview is heavy with situational questions. Know the STAR method and be well prepared with many professional anecdotes to use with your answers.

Interview Questions

• When's a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Tell me about a time you handled an escalated issue independently.   Answer Question

Coordinator Community Events Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position online, a few days later a rep from HR contacted me to set up a phone screening. The phone screen took place 4 days later (there was a holiday in the middle of the week) and lasted 30 minutes. Next, the hiring manager contacted me, about a week later, and set up an in person interview with herself and another manager. I was called back the next day and ask to come in for a second interview the following day.

State Grassroots Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (San Antonio, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Central HR department conducts initial phone screen interview and then makes recommendations to hiring manager. Hiring manager selects candidates for second round interviews. The flaws in this process: The ACS does not clearly define timeframe for next steps, candidates receive no further word from ACS regarding their progress and HR department does not respond to follow-up efforts.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

It took about ten days to get the initial interview from the recruiter. It was very conversational based and relaxed. Described the position very well and excited me about the position. I've moved on to the next interview (phone with a senior community manager)

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate volunteers?   1 Answer

Senior Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Atlanta, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me within a week of submitting my application to set up a phone screening. After the phone screening I had a Skype interview with the hiring manager and the department team, with a 30 minute timed test at the end of the interview. Afterwards I was invited to the corporate office to meet the rest of the team in person, including directors/higher-up managers. The overall interview process took place over the course of one month.

The phone screening consisted of mostly situation-based questions. Be sure to have a couple of success stories on hand that describe a time you overcame a challenge, contributed a new idea, worked with stakeholders, etc.

The Skype interview focused on strengths and weaknesses in all of my past positions. Be prepared to describe your job duties and any applicable success stories.

The in-person interview went over my past experiences and how they can apply to the position you're going after. Be prepared to discuss your work strategies and problem-solving capabilities.

Interview Questions

• What made you apply for this position? Why ACS?   1 Answer
    • How would your previous supervisor describe your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with a stakeholder to achieve a business initiative.   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Fort Worth, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Fast and informal. I was told I would have 3 interviews, got a phone call that skipped one of them and then was asked the same questions in my in person.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for a non profit?   1 Answer

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Apply online, several forms to fill out, upload resume. Recruit calls and screens you if your qualifications appear to match - note that education and experience are really requirements.

Interview Questions

• They validate your education, ensure that you will pass a background check and physically can do the job - commute, travel if required, work from home if appropriate, and can back up the requirements you have on your resume.   Answer Question