American Red Cross Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 17, 2017

2.6

Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screening went fantastically, as did the first interview with the director and her team. The second interview totally fell apart. The position, particularly the responsibilities and reporting structure, changed dramatically between the first and second interviews and the interviewer seemed incredibly frustrated that I didn't know about the overhaul (no one contacted me to tell me about the changes, although she assured me that someone must have). The process was disorienting to say the least and I only heard that the position was filled after reaching out three weeks later, receiving a one sentence response, "We chose someone else."

I gather that the individual chapters are beholden to the ever-changing priorities of the national HQ. Everyone was pleasant enough and seemed to enjoy their work. That being said, they admitted that things are constantly in flux and I would need to be open to dysfunction. There's a stark distinction in my mind between being an adaptable employee and accepting normalized chaos. I dodged a bullet on this one; I would have accepted the position on salary alone, even if I was worried for how I'd manage the experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflicting priorities? Have you ever directly reported to more than three people at once?   Answer Question

Medical Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

The interview is a behavior interview that has nothing to do with your job experience. The questions have nothing to do with the job. The supervisor that interviewed me did not seem to know exactly what they he/she was doing. I waited a long time before anyone came for me in the lobby. I was given a tour of the lab. The equipment doesn't seem as up-to-date as other labs I have seen. It was unorganized.

Document Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Oakland, CA).

Interview

Interviewing for my old job as Document Control Specialist after a company reorganization. The interview took place via Teleconference from the new department manager and director from their location in Pomona, CA and my location in Oakland, CA. The camera was crooked (pointing at me) so I had to position myself at an angle the whole time so I looked like I was sitting up straight on camera. HR staff came in my room and started banging tables and chairs together for another meeting while loudly apologizing in the middle of interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you discovered and what were the steps you took to correct it?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with two corporate recruiters and the experience was great, they were friendly, knowledgeable. Entering into the local interview it was a very negative experience. A panel interview with three young women who for 20 minutes of the 30, spoke about themselves. I honestly felt as if I was vying for a position on the high school prom committee. I didn't leave the interview feeling excited or uplifted about the position or for working for the Red Cross. It was truly disappointing coming from a corporate background I was going into the interview excited to be part of such a great team. I left hoping they don't call back.

Development Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted by email a few days after applying to schedule phone interview with hr. Email included three questions to be answered prior to interview. Phone call was brief and asked a few questions like what overwhelms you and salary. Salary was super low at $19 hourly. Next interview was to be with Regional Manager/Hiring Manager. A week and a half after I got a generic email saying they moved on to other candidates. I had applied for another position within ARC in between that time. Got another generic email saying they moved on to other candidates with an email an hour after from a recruiter to schedule a short phone interview. Confused at the rejection emails but accepted the phone interview for the next week. Phone interview was a quick conversation and included why ARC? Salary was mentioned at a low of $19-21. After a week I had a long phone interview with the Regional Manager/Hiring Manager. She asked a lot of very detailed questions regarding experience and how it would be used at ARC and why. However, her questions must've been for the first Development position. It was confusing to say the least. They are asking for a lot of responsibilities for the position which should actually be the Director's job meanwhile the pay is basically nothing. Good luck finding someone who is willing to do that with the pay offered. After that interview there was silence.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Structured conversation. Teaching or nursing experience very helpful .you will be contacted by a recruiter followed by a scheduled interview with a hiring manager. Must have availability and flexible schedule.

Phlebotomist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

It was an average interview. Nothing real hard. Whether or not you get hired just depends on how much they need techs. It is NOT based on experience. They offer good pay and benefits to lure people in. Word of advice, must be in good physical shape to keep up with the work load and demanding hours.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever have to be empathetic towards a client and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their is no negotiation phase going in as a tech. Their is negotiation if you are applying for a management positions.

Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yakima, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Yakima, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I saw the job on-line and applied via the web. The next day I had an email telling me to go to a website and schedule a phone interview. I was able to schedule the phone interview for that same afternoon. When I got the call the first thing the interviewer asked was whether I'd be willing to work any shift any time (shifts are 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, 11pm-7am). I said no, that I couldn't do that. Then she said that it was a requirement, she said thank you, and then hung up on me. Why they didn't put that in the job requisition is beyond me.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Charlotte, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

The person that does the phone screen is very nice. I got to the 2nd interview, and they were personable. I think I said I didn't like batch records and that is part of it. Was intimidating that a mistake could mean recusal.

Lab Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

You meet with the supervisor and lead for your shift. They have a series of quesitons that they ask you from a piece of paper. You are then given a tour of the lab.

Interview Questions

• What is something you would not like in a boss or supervisor?   Answer Question