Avalara Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Avalara

2.9

Software Engineering Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA) in January 2020.

Interview

I was approached by one of their recruiters, had the usual questionnaire, then started the formal interview process that involved 10 different people (back to back), starting with the hiring manager.

While Avalara treated me well, I just wasn't comfortable with few things:
    * Hiring Managers don't tell you the truth, for example my prospective boss told me they recruit top Engineers from Microsoft, yet when I researched the info, I didn't find anything to back up his claim.
    * They hire people not because the Hiring Manager believes in them but because there is a consensus on the candidate, that means your manager will review your work based on other people's opinion and not what you actually did

At the end, I had a competing offer and while it was slightly less in $$$, the false claims I heard from management at Avalara made me take the other offer as it was much more credible in nature.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA) in November 2019.

Interview

Standard HR phone interview then phone interview with the hiring manager. Seemed to go well. Followed up with the hiring manager after the weekend as he had requested, but didn't get a reply. Tried reaching out to HR a couple of times to ask about the status, never received a response.

Strategic Alliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Avalara (Raleigh, NC) in October 2019.

Interview

More than anything it was a "conversation", which I really appreciated. Instead of a top-down approach, where I was the peon that had to prove my worth, I felt like the entire interview process was an exploration of the role, my experience, my strengths, and how they would align or not.

Interview Questions

• As a Strategic Alliance Manager, where do you feel like you can add the most value to the role?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avalara.

Interview

I had to do a presentation regarding anything I'm passionate about. I received a verbal offer from the hiring manager. When I asked if it's possible to counter, he asked me to send him the range I'm expecting. I asked him to send me something in writing first but he insisted that I send him an email with my expectations but when I did he then completely ghosted me after he had mentioned that he will send my letter to the recruiter and come back with their best offer. I thought that's extremely unprofessional.

Strategic Alliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avalara (Irvine, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

Recruiters would respond to my questions 7-10 days after I email them. Made it to an in-person interview and then never heard from them again... even after following up a few times. Very disappointing because I really like the company :(

Interview Questions

• What would you do differently to make Avalara stand out from other Partners at Oracle?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avalara (Durham, NC) in July 2019.

Interview

The on site interview was a marathon of too many people and too many whiteboard exercises. After three and a half hours, in my fifth group of interviewers, I was treated to a forceful line of questioning by a developer that bordered on inappropriate. I made it clear I was uncomfortable with the line of questioning and he persisted anyway. It was disrespectful and offensive. At that point I was exhausted and declined to do the last whiteboard exercise and withdrew myself from consideration. While there were a few things regarding team structure and management that raised flags and influenced my decision, my interaction with this person was the tipping point. I have never been treated in such an unfriendly and disrespectful manner in an interview before.

Interview Questions

• Algebra, fizzbuzz, sql joins. They want you to whiteboard code and write code on a computer in the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avalara (Durham, NC) in July 2019.

Interview

The first interview was about 20 minutes long with one of the corporate recruiters, and it turned me off real fast. He repeatedly referred to me as a "Junior", although I never once refer to myself that way. With two years of industry experience and a job that promoted me beyond the title of "Junior", I felt that was incredibly presumptive and rude, regardless of how they might classify someone with my experience-level at their company. It speaks of corporate formulas to determine worth. The recruiter seemed to think I should be grateful they'd consider someone of my experience level.

The recruiter was also not well versed on the team's technical stack. Simply said it was "PHP and Postgres", but couldn't verify what the Frontend tech was (yes, I know PHP can be used for Frontend technology, but the recruiter didn't know enough to confirm or deny this).

The last and final offense was how difficult it was to reschedule the technical interview. It took two full business days before I got a response back from the recruiter confirming they'd received my message to reschedule. At this point we were less than 24 hours from the original interview time. I had to follow up twice before I got that response. When the recruiter finally did respond, he rescheduled the interview for a time the following day without asking me if I was available during that time. I was not.

After all of this, I determined Avalara would not be a good cultural fit so I withdrew myself from the interview process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avalara.

Interview

First round was a phone interview with the corporate recruiter. Second and final round was in-person. In-person interview was relatively informal. Interviewers asked mostly about professional background. Interviewers spent time discussing the company, the job, and culture. There were about four different interviewers from different departments.

Tax Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avalara.

Interview

Phone interview then in person interview for 2.5 hours. Overall, it was a very fun enjoyable process. The office staff was pleasant and very helpful. Hope to hear back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avalara.

Interview

meet in the office with several of the managers and then shadowed one of the SDR's; questions were pretty standard interview questions, though one person asked about goal within 12 months and 3 years and then someone else asked about 5 year goals;