Costco Wholesale Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2018
1,106 Interview Reviews

2.5

Stocker Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

After applying online, and pass the personality test, you are interviewed by two employees, they ask a series of questions from the list below ( 3-4 from each category) and if done well are called back for a 2nd interview. If you pass the background and drug test then good to go.

Interview Questions

• Communication
      o Tell me about a time your manager gave you feedback or coaching
      o How do you communicate with supervisors and managers?
      o Tell me about a time you were successful due to your ability to communicate.
      o How do you handle misunderstandings with co-workers?
      o When you fell you have an important point to make, how do you communicate it?
      o What do you define as ethical behavior, and how do you incorporate it into your work?
      o Give me an example of a time when you had to make an ethical decision.
      o When faced with a difficult decision, how do you resolve it? Example?
      o Give me an example of a conflict you’ve experienced, and how you resolved it.

Member Service
      o Tell me about a situation where you handled a difficult customer, and explain how you resolved it.
      o How do you define great customer service?
      o Describe a time when you exceeded the expectations of your position.
      o Have you ever served multiple customers simultaneously? How did you prioritize your attention?
      o Give me an example of a time where you wished you had handled a situation differently with a customer.
      o How do you maintain a positive attitude in a fast-paced, often hectic environment?

Self-Motivation
      o Tell me about a time you completed a major project.
      o Tell me about a time you volunteered for a learning opportunity.
      o Describe a time when you worked on a difficult task.
      o Tell me about a time you had to do an unfamiliar task.
      o Describe a situation where you worked without supervision.
      o Tell me how you motivate yourself to complete your tasks.
      o Describe new things that you are learning in your current position.

Team Player
      o Give me an example of when you worked on a team to accomplish a goal.
      o How do you deal with an unproductive teammate?
      o Tell me about a time when you were part of a team that did not get along.
      o How do you divide tasks when working on a group project?
      o What role do you think communication plays in promoting good teamwork?
      o Describe a time when you had to work outside your normal duties.

Flexibility
      o Do you have experience working a varying schedule that changed on short notice? How did you respond?
      o Give me an example of when your schedule changed.
      o Describe how you manage your time.
      o How do you manage changing priorities or interruptions to your schedule or job duties?
      o Describe a time when you made a compromise to achieve a goal.
      o Give me an example of when you asked a co-worker for help.
      o Describe a situation of when you did more than one task at work.   3 Answers

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Houston, TX).

Interview

Went for 1 in person interview with regional on the phone and another manager in person. Got the feeling one was more interested and the other seemed concerned I was too sales focused coming from other employer and not slow paced enough to like a junior role there. I was fine with the position but concerned about working most weekend shifts and so late weeknights. She seemed done after that and I felt ruled out because I voiced concern and wanted to make sure I could commit to that while having a small child,

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer tried returning after trial period?   Answer Question
    • What software have you used before?   1 Answer

Meat Cutter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Aurora, CO) in May 2018.

Interview

Met with two HR people, no one from the meat department was there at all. The interviewers were rude and condescending despite my high experience level. They "pulled" my resume for meat cutter and then said there were no openings in the department. Apparently, they only promote from within, so don't bother applying unless you want to spend however long washing floors until they think you're "good enough" to cut warehouse meat.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work in any other department? (multiple times)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Ontario, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

At first I was interviewed by two people (so this counted as first and second interview) then after a series of questions they told me they need to talk things over and to wait in the waiting area. About 20 minutes later a store manager interviewed me which I’m guessing is good news since I moved on to the “final round”. She said she will call in a couple weeks and that there were over 5k applicants since it is a brand new warehouse. Everything probably took about an hour. Everyone else i saw waiting for an interview was dressed pretty laid back. The warehouse manager did say that there is seniority for transferring employees such as early shifts and cashiers. The shifts can range from 4am-11pm starting at $13/hour.

Interview Questions

• Do you have open availability?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a mistake you’ve made at a previous job and how did you fix it?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle multiple customers at once?   1 Answer

Deli Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Met in the food court. Asked a few questions and couldn't keep eye contact with me. There were two employees interviewing, nice guys just really uncomfortable. Waited for 20 minutes and the interview took less than 10.

Cashier Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Two persons interview me, it was a pretty laid back interview. They ask lots of question about you being responsible and are you punctual. They also want you to dress up nicely for the interview as well. Such as, button up or collar shirt with khakis.

Any Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

First was a phone call, second was an in person interview, third was an interview with the assistant store manager. They really want to hear that you have experience with customer service. They get 60-80 percent of their profit from membership. If you don't have direct customer experience I would recommend that you explain how you would help someone, or how you've helped someone at school or at home. Maybe you give people the benefit of the doubt when dealing with an unhappy person. Maybe at home you are the natural diffuser of conflict. Sometimes people just want to talk to people and they go grocery shopping to fulfill that need.

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Manassas, VA).

Interview

The interview process was geared towards my interest in the company and volunteer experience. I was hired right out of high school, so this was a very novice interview. The interviewer was very open and talkative. I think they were focused on how I would have been able to engage their customers and my level of work ethic.

Cart Pusher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Portland, OR) in April 2018.

Interview

I would like to apply for this job as cart pusher because I really need a job, need to earn my own money, need to do my own savings, etc. And need to but my self a car.

Front End Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

It's a two step interview process, but if you do well and they're busy enough, they'll tell you at the end to consider the first interview your first and second.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer
    • How do you use ergonomic practices in your everyday life?   1 Answer