DICK'S Sporting Goods Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

1. Featured Interview

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2018.

Interview

Wonderful candidate experience, and paid attention to the details. They were thorough but not repetitive with their questions. The recruiter was very thoughtful and kept me informed during the process.

Community Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods.

Interview

Was flown out to Pittsburgh for a final interview with two individuals. Met for probably an hour before flying back home. The position turned out to be really just a sales position that they try to position as "marketing".

Interview Questions

• Lots of small talk about general sports news. I had previously worked in sports but wasn't actively following the teams they were discussing, so I was honest.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods (Daly City, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview several months before a new store was opening. The interview lasted about a hour. The person that interviewed me told me she would keep me advised and promised to call me. She never did and never returned my phone calls.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you did to increase sales at your current position.   2 Answers

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods in June 2013.

Interview

A complete waste of time. I was originally interviewed and felt I would have been hired by the Store Manager and DM. One month goes by and I am asked to interview again with two additional Managers. I then find out the original manager has left the company and I was on the short list. These two had made up their minds about me within the first two minutes. Having over 20 years experience in retail management, I felt my age was a deciding factor in my bad experience. When I asked insightful questions such as, "What department do you feel has the most unrealized potential?" These two proceed to tell me that Softlines is their top producer. What??? Maybe if I worded the question differently they may have understood. This is the top management on the front line? Both with less than 3 years in management and the company. Or how about the perplexing question I posed,"How do you deal with your work and life balance?" This resulted in simple blank stares and a shrug of the shoulders.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle an angry customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods (Lenexa, KS) in August 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with the store manager for about 15 min. Basic interview questions for a retail environment. He eventually was fired along with the district manager in my time there which was a horribly long 9 months.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods.

Interview

Talked to store manager multiple times over the phone. Was told each time that she was waiting on her staff and the district manager before she could set an person to person interview and that she was going to get back to me in a few days. I would follow up with her at the beginning of each week just to be told the same thing. Finally found out that the job was closed when I was looking at other store locations. Never received a call back after that, just that they will get back to me.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods.

Interview

I wasn't actively pursuing this job but had submitted a general resume quite some time ago, because am interested in the sporting industry in general. I was surprised and generally please to receive a call asking if I'd interview for an Assistant Store Manager job. I was intrigued and looking forward to checking the company out!

Interview Questions

• Arranged the date for the first interview and got a call the morning of the interview that it needed to be re-scheduled. On the day of the rescheduled interview I was excited and prepared. Drove the 23 miles and once I got there the interview was cancelled again.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pflugerville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods (Pflugerville, TX) in August 2009.

Interview

They called me up, I went in that day, they sat me down asked me a few questions, offered me $8.00 an hour and I started training that day.

Negotiation

I was going in for the lowest poition available. There was no negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods (Knoxville, TN) in January 2010.

Interview

Very easy. Spoke to three managers. Explained to them why I was right for the job and how my skills could improve the companies image.

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods (Novi, MI) in May 2009.

Interview

Very disorganized. I came in on one occasion and the manager that was supposed to interview me was not there. I had to call multiple times to make sure I was interviewing. After the interview, I was not even sure I had the job. I had to call to see when I was going to be trained. Overall, not a good process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to deal with a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at DICK'S Sporting Goods.

Interview

they need "bodies"- mass hires are the norm- (send them through mentality) You get called to come take an interview in a conference room with several other candidates talking to multiple "managers" and wait your turn... unless it is for a specific store location already; then you come in and go through the same multiple page questionnaire as fast as the manager can get through it and then go to a computer to answer 80+ questions dealing with mostly personality/humanity questions that will determine the type of person you are and if you are not ultimately forgiving, nieve, or willing to anything to make someone happy you will fail.

Interview Questions

• none- unless you believe picking a certain side of the spectrum is difficult. mostly "how would you handle/react to this situation scenario" questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Basically a one step negotiation where, if you do not accept the initial offer there is only one offer left and thats it or you don't get hired.