Dollar General Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,177 Interview Reviews

1.8

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ardmore, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Ardmore, OK) in June 2020.

Interview

I arrived and my temperature was checked. I then sat in their waiting room for only a short while. The manager interviewing me did an outstanding job making an interview feel like a conversation. I've never had an experience like it. The manager then had another manager actually give me a tour of the facility and describe their process. I liked this part because it showed me exactly what I would be doing if hired.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar General (New York, NY) in April 2020.

Interview

He told me that there wasn't going to be very many hours but he could at least get me 5 hours a week just to get my foot in the door. He was very nice and polite and I would recommend everybody to shop there because it is a good place to go. Everybody were there there's nice and it is a very clean place.

Interview Questions

• first he asked me how I was doing and how my day was.   2 Answers
    • he asked why I was wanting to work at Dollar general   1 Answer
    • he told me what they was needing help with and wasn't very many hours   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

Meeting the manager and assistant manager. Described type of work how things flow during the day as well as schedules, policies etc. Asked if the position was a good fit for me.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2020.

Interview

Short and sweet. In manager back office. Very short and to the point due to pandemic. The manager was nice and straight to the point. People are needed due to demand. I was dressed very professionally and was commended on that.

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Chattanooga, TN) in March 2020.

Interview

Over the phone with district manager then in person at a store with a store manager
    It was easy for me because i have been a manager in the past

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

Dollar general is a great fit for me because of the company's success and stability. I enjoy putting forth my best efforts in anything and everything that I can do. I always try to look for the best opportunities to do more for those involved and in need.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel Dollar general is a good fit?   2 Answers
    • How would you be a good asset for the company and it's customers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Dayton, OH) in March 2020.

Interview

I applied online with Dollar General's career page (side note: they have the least organized career page I've ever seen-- took forever to even find locations close to me). Got a call from two different places two days later. I followed up with both. The first lady pretty much wanted to interview me over the phone and seemed overly eager to hire me. She told me to come in the following Monday with IDs. Sounded desperate, which was a huge red flag.

Second lady was rude. She put me on hold but did not mute the phone. I could hear her talking to another manager about me. She told me to come in "whenever" the following week and barely said good-bye as she hung up. Also a red flag.

Fortunately, I got hired elsewhere. This is not how you pre-screen potential employees.

Interview Questions

• You will not just stay at the cash register the whole shift. You will be all over the store. Is this okay?   1 Answer

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General (Mobile, AL).

Interview

It took 15 mins to complete interview not allot of questions. Ex. Have you worked in retail if so what was your weakness and what was your strengths. Very easy

Interview Questions

• what can I contribute to this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Milton, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dollar General (Milton, FL) in February 2020.

Interview

He asked what experiences I had and told me about the hire packet. I got the hire packet the next day. I start in a couple days. Interview went quick as well

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted my application online through Indeed.com. I got a call a few days later from human resources. They tell you what to expect from running a DG store such as high employee turnover, working 50-55 hours per week, minimal payroll hours etc. I assume this is to make sure you're OK with the general structure of operations. If you're a good candidate Dale pass your information on to the district manager and mention you should get a call within a few days. I got a call from the district manager within 20 minutes and she asked me to meet her at a store just to talk. She walked me around the store and explained a few things about operations and then offered me the job.