Dollar General Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,119 Interview Reviews

1.8

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Flippin, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar General (Flippin, AR) in September 2016.

Interview

It took about ten minutes. The assistant manager interviewed me and talked about herself the entire time. I was offered the job but had to wait until the background check came back.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall any specific questions asked of me. I think I may have been asked about my availability.   3 Answers

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar General (Kansas City, MO) in January 2016.

Interview

During the interview process it went very well there were only basic questions that were required to be answered and there were minimum requirements such as high school diploma and everything that needed to be know was taught or learned by me ( employee ) in the process of getting the job

Interview Questions

• How well do you work with people ?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dollar General in July 2019.

Interview

It was less than 5 minutes, I'm not sure what else to say. My resume and personality impressed them, I work hard and I convey that. Hard work pays off.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar General in June 2009.

Interview

Received a call to setup a phone interview with recruiter for Dollar General. The phone interview was pretty easy. Basic interview questions such as tell me about yourself, what type of manager are you, etc. There were also questions as to how did you handle loss prevention in your stores and what have you learned from hiring decisions.

Interview Questions

• From past experience how have to handled loss prevention in your stores (internally and externally)?   Answer Question
    • How do you determine if you have made the right hiring decision for a potential employee?   Answer Question

Interview

Applied for the position on the company's website and received a call about 2 weeks from a store manger saying they had a position open. Interviewed with the store manager at the store in the office. My interview took about an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Dallas, GA) in August 2011.

Interview

There wasn't much of one...I took the assessment test and drug test, passed both and was hired on immediately!

Negotiation

Oh yeah! I negotiated well. Probably could have negotiated more looking back on it!

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar General in December 2012.

Interview

I had 1 interview with the district manager. I filled out all paperwork online and waited for a CORI check to come in before I was told I was hired.

Interview Questions

• In past jobs, how have you gone out of the way for a customer? Always a weird question I think.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate anything.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar General.

Interview

I went to job fair for managers and assistant managers. I was originally hired as an associate, but the position was no longer available. The store manager had asked me if I wanted a management job. I didn't but needed job.

Interview Questions

• How do you resolve employee fighting?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milner, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Milner, GA) in June 2013.

Interview

Applied through their website. Got an interview. Store manager didn't ask all required questions because I was obviously qualified =). Offered 9.50/hr. I said I would think about it. Called later the same day and declined offer. Saw that I could get paid more money as a "Fruit Picker II" LOL. 9.50/hr is not negotiable. I tried to negotiate a sign-on bonus, vacation time, yearly bonus, over-time, anything, but the store manager has no power over the pay. The district manager has all the say. There are two assistant managers at this location. If they only had one, then the pay would improve dramatically. Store manager and above get a bonus and are salaried. THE END LMAO what a joke!

Interview Questions

• Most difficult is getting offered 9.50/hr with no overtime, no this, no that,......   Answer Question

9.50/hr with no overtime, cannot negotiate vacation, yearly bonus, sign-on bonus etc... is unacceptable. This must be a job for someone just out of school or something. I never made under 12.50/hr even after graduating school.

Anonymous Employee in Antioch, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar General (Antioch, TN) in July 2013.

Interview

Very laid back interview. Fresh out of college with no management experience, however, the manager was in dire need of assistant managers to fill the spot. Nothing difficult, she just asked me if I was willing to work hard and help. Granted the position is only offering me $9/hr I'm not going to complain for the experience I can gain in management and take farther. Other than that it was just a lot of small talk and random chatting. Very easy.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. The only thing the store manager really asked me was "How have you dealt with a difficult customer in the past?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Only offered $9 but to just start out in management I'm not going to complain. It just gives me the opportunity to gain experience.