IMC Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Graduate Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in May 2018.

Interview

Very professional interview process. Great experience overall. The onsite interview didn't work out as I have expected. Three rounds before the on-site interview: OA, HR and Technical round.
    I enjoyed the onsite interviews a lot, it's fun and exciting, but unfortunately didn't make it through.

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter, 45 minute phone screen with Head of Performance, then 2.5 hour online coding test at codility.com, then first on-site interview: 2 people at a time, 3 rounds of interviews, 30-45 minutes each. My experience was in C so then they asked me to come back for a Python on-site coding test. Then after that with 2 more interviews with another manager and HR, and lastly one with the CTO.

They did a fairly good job in the process. I'm just disappointed I didn't get an offer. :)

Interview Questions

• Standard software and networking questions. And also for second interview, on-site parse text data in Python to find average trading processing times.
      Had 1.5 hours to do it, left in an office with an internet connection.   Answer Question
    • Give a 5 minute presentation on any topic to us pretending to be a 3rd grade audience. It is timed and then after will write down what was communicated and what was trying to be communicated and compare them.   Answer Question

Java Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IMC Trading.

Interview

1st screening interview was from a campus recruiter. Then an online assessment was given to me. After the assessment was passed, a Skype interview was arranged with a team lead from the company.

First screening interview touched only on my experience, and a few questions on the reasons I want to work at IMC. The assessment had some basic algorithm/data structure questions. The Skype interview is all technical and had to do with Java basics and a simple algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree, a node is visible if the value it holds is no greater than all the values along the path from the root. Write pseudo-code for an efficient algorithm to find the number of visible nodes in this tree.   1 Answer
    • In the Java specification, it is considered good practice to override .equals() and .hashCode() both together. In the context of HashMap, explain why implementing only one of the two instead of both can cause problems. You must consider both cases.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Boston, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by HR and was quickly set up with a first round, in person interview. It was a technical interview consisting of a few questions about my resume and why I want to be a trader. Technical questions consisted of analyzing a matlab function and two basic questions about options trading.

Interview Questions

• Analyzing the matlab function, even though I stated that I had never used matlab before.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Interview

a lot of nice people who seemed to enjoy the process. 3 different types of interviews, logic/trading/personal. One trading simulation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through the website with a resume and a cover letter. After a short phone interview, I was scheduled for an in person interview. At the in person interview, there was a mix of background/experience related questions and technical mathematical questions, progressing until I was no longer able to answer them. After this there were a few more background related questions and I was told to expect a response within a week or so.

Interview Questions

• For me the most difficult question was answering why I wanted to work in finance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Had a couple of phone interviews before being invited on-site. The superday consisted of several rounds. Had to price a future and then trade on it, an algo round where they asked me to solve some problems recursively, some stats and prob round, reconstruct a order book and talk with HR

Interview Questions

• 1) 52 cards draw one at at time, you get +1 for black -1 for red, find the EV.
      2) You have 100 noodles and you grab the end of two noodles randomly and connect them together, find the EV of the number of loops
      3) Why trading / tell me about a time ..............
      4) Figure out the formula for a future from scratch, price something using it, make a market on it and trade on it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Disorganized, sloppy interview process. Softball questions, technically speaking, but a clear lack of interest in getting the right answer about my capabilities as candidate. They clearly have no idea what position they're trying to fill or who they're looking for, and the end result was a gargantuan waste of time. I wouldn't try this one again.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite programming language?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Met them at a school fair, gave them my resume and they contacted me for an online assessment (through codility). I did quite poorly on that though, as I was at the very beginning of the interview process and I hadn't had time to even review dynamic programming (and for some reason many of the questions were that). I guess, look at project Euler, one of the questions was from there (something with pieces of food that you have to collect, which I didn't have time to even think about). I also felt that there wasn't enough time for the online test, but I believe it was just me being underprepared.

I also had an on campus interview (which I thought went really well) where I talked about hash maps and then DFS/BFS in a BST.

Overall, easy enough to go to the on-site, but I wasn't able to...

Interview Questions

• So there was one question which was solved with a stack that I don't actually remember (calculate the time), one BST, one linked list that had loops and was represented as an array, and the collect rice from a chessboard problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

Contacted after a job fair and was sent two screening problems via email. Next was a Skype interview and than a final interview at their offices in Chicago.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IMC Trading in February 2018.

Interview

The process has taken a couple days. I applied online and received an email a couple days later inviting me to take an online coding assessment. This was very straightforward and took under an hour and a half to complete. I haven't heard back yet

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose the questions, but they were all Leet code medium or easier   Answer Question