Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2018

3.6

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

One puzzle followed by "do you have any questions". I did not see the puzzle online before. The interviewer seemed to be nice, but I was too nervous to answer well.

Interview Questions

• One hundred doors, one dollar after each door. Roll a one-hundred dice for one hundred times. You can take the dollar after the door whose number is rolled out. What's the expectation? Why?   1 Answer

Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

There were three rounds of phone interviews, each one longer than the last; mine went from 20 minutes to 45 minutes to 60 minutes. After this, I was invited to their office for a final round of interviews. There were three interviews of one hour each, along with lunch with one of their traders and a tour of the office.

For the on-site interviews, they give you a stack of poker chips, then present you with games of chance (of various complexity) and ask you to place bets on the outcomes. Then they actually roll the dice, deal cards, etc. and pay you if you win.

I should note that they were upfront about their reticence to hire people that hadn't already had internships with them. True to form, they didn't hire me.

Interview Questions

• Specific interview questions are confidential; I will only note that they were probability problems and some basic game theory. No fancy math, though some problems did require a trick as the straightforward approach would take way too long.   Answer Question

Quantitate Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I was called on the phone and the interview was conducted by a current employee. They asked me technical questions and then I did my best to answer. The interviewer was very patient, and gave help. He had a lot more to do but I took a while so it was cut short.

Interview Questions

• Given two integers a,b and a/b is in some interval (forgot what interval they gave) give all possible values of b   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Similar to most recruiting. technical round, phone screen, 1-2 rounds on phone. The recruiter was very friendly and awesome! Very difficult interview however. It consisted of both personal and technical, and was very thorough and integrated.

Interview Questions

• posed very interesting estimation questions and very intriguing concepts. The role was similar to a PM interview so very insightful for me and great learning opportunity. Personal screening as well was in this round.   Answer Question

HR Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

So I emailed them about a job and they so happily emailed me back no feedback, just telling me I can't. They don't seem to let you know why you don't get the job or even a possible interview. They just rejected me.

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

1st round is Excel exercise where you must find an error in a stock trading sheet, I answered well but they told me they would not be getting back to me.

Interview Questions

• To find a trading error within an excel document of up to 1500 rows   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied Online with resume and basic questions. Got called in for in person interviews. Straightforward process.Difficult questions. Will try again next year. Great company. Environment is very friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• Basketball player makes first free throw and misses the second. Thereon after, the probability of making the next free throw is the proportion of previous shots he has made. What is the probability he makes 50 of the first 100 shots?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied to be a Trading Intern online and received a technical phone interview. Just did a few probability problems with my interviewer over the phone. Interviewer was very nice and helpful whenever I was stuck and gave tips on how to work on the problems.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online, interviewers were backed up so I didn't get an interview until I told the recruiter I had other onsites coming up. Interview was an hour phone interview with a relatively straightforward question, followed by some time to ask about the company. Interviewer was very good.

Interview Questions

• A question related to evaluating arithmetic expressions with a twist.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the website. Received a request for a phone interview the same day. Phone interview was about 40 minutes and consisted of one programming question conducted over coderpad.io. Interviewer was pleasant and helpful. Received a rejection back a week later.

Interview Questions

• Implement data structures and evaluation function for a stack machine given certain instructions that operate on a stack of data (ints and strings).   Answer Question