Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.7

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

Took about 30 minutes, the interviewer was very friendly, but the interview is kind of difficult, like others said, you gotta be really good at maths and statistics to pass the first round.

Summer Interview

Interview

Two over the phone interviews, first coding and then problem solving. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes and I would say both were fairly demanding. A professional experience although unfortunately I did not progress further.

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street in February 2017.

Interview

Had a first round phone interview a few days after submitting my application online. The interviewer was very friendly, but to the point. He asked three or four probability and puzzle type questions.

Interview Questions

• You are given a choice between two games, each with a $1 payout, which do you prefer?
      Game 1: you are given 4 roles of a single die, and you win if you roll at least one six.
      Game 2: you are given 24 roles of a pair of dice, and you win if you roll a pair of sixes at least once.
      Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Process was good. Was rejected at first, then they reached out to me again offering an interview. A couple of basic probability questions and one very hard probability question. Interviewer was nice / friendly, offered a hint and helped me walk through the last probability question.

Interview Questions

• Min number of people to guarantee at least 5 people share the same birthday month?   3 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. There are 5 rounds of interviews, and I am currently in the 3rd round. They ask a lot of mental maths problems, mostly coin flipping games. The interviewers were very friendly and I learned a lot during these interviews.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by recruiter. They have 3 rounds of phone interviews, one onsite. They didn't ask for much experience in finance, but are looking for general learning ability instead. I messed up a distribution question and didn't get the onsite invitation.

Interview Questions

• card game questions, how different distribution will affect expectation   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Three rounds of phone interviews, in which I was asked math questions of increasing difficulty. There was a large focus on probability and combinatorics, which most of the problems phrased as trying to determine the optimal strategy for a game; however, as I indicated that I come from a CS background I was also asked to design an algorithm to solve a problem with a good asymptotic runtime. The first and second round should be relatively easy for anyone that majored in a quantitative subject, especially math, physics, or computer science; the third was vastly harder- I was unable to answer the problem correctly without significant guidance, but passed this round nonetheless (presumably, they really do care about the nature of your thought process).

Interview Questions

• (Round 2) Suppose two players play a game where Player A, then Player B, picks an integer between 1 and 30. Then, a thirty-sided die is rolled. Whoever guessed closer to the value of the roll obtains an amount of money equal to the value of the roll from the other player.

Given the choice, do you decide to go first or second? What number do you choose? What is the expected value of this position?
      Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online at the beginning of the December. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.
    For now 3 rounds of phone interviews. Already share my last 2 rounds in another post. Short interview, last about 30 mins. Only a single long question in this interview.

Interview Questions

• 200 pieces of 1 dollar coins, for each one it has equal probability to go into the pot or not. You will bid for that pot (get the money in the pot but you don't know how many coins are exactly in the pot). Anyone who offers the highest bid win the auction. What would you bid (with 1 competitor, 10 competitors)? Now if just we two bid and we are trying our best strategy, but I have the advantage of knowing how many of the first 10 coins go into the pot. What will be our strategies? How much will you bid and what is your expected payoff?   Answer Question

Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

It takes 20-25 minutes to do this interview. Interviewer asked quite simple probability questions. She was on-time, smart, and very nice. This was first round. I had a very good experience. Today, I'm invited for the second round.

Interview Questions

• If we flip a coin 100 times, what is the probability of getting even number of heads?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Submitted an application, heard back the next day with an interview offer for a position other than the one I applied to. Did the interview anyway, was rejected shortly after.