Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2018

3.6

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied other position but got interview for this position. The first step is solving some calculation problems. The only ask me to solve that in excel. But I think it's better to do more than they expected. So I solved that by using VBA. I got the next step which is phone interview.

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied online through Handshake
    First round is several excel exercises including vlookup and some calculations. Quite easy
    Second round is a phone interview around 15 minutes and will ask 2 brainstorm questions.

Interview Questions

• The first is the bus question and second is the angle between 9:15 on the clock.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I was offered on email to move forward with my application. What happened is that I applied for one position but I was suggested to apply for another, which was also great position to start with. I soon received an email for initial screening for work authorization.

Interview Questions

• Will you now or in the future require sponsorship to work at Jane Street?   Answer Question

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (Lehi, UT) in April 2018.

Interview

Reached out to Jane through a couple of channels.
    A bit over-qualified for position, but seemed like a good fit, had good hopes for their future.
    Got a fairly timely response email from the hiring manager setting up a call time.
    Call came about 30 minutes late on the scheduled day with no mention of apology whatsoever, and a clear and obvious annoyance to her schedule.
    From the very moment the call began it was clear it was a waste of both of our time. The multi-tasking in the background was so loud and the distraction so great, that interview questions and corresponding answers I gave didn’t seem to get much of response, if they were heard at all....
    She was quick to end it, and even quicker to insist “I’d hear from her by weeks end” that they were “likely going to be moving on.”
    Efficient I’ll say: interview, lack of respect, annoyed rejection, and unprofessional manner, all in 20 minutes or less.
    Wow.
    Company profile: 5.0., but Interview Professionalism far lower.

Interview Questions

• Describe your years of experience   1 Answer

Trading Desk Operation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied through the university and got an email with data tests. Excel files and 3 pdf explanations. It is pretty tough to understand the logic. The calculation on Excel is not difficult and you are supposed to know VLOOKUP etc. The challenge is to understand the question.

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, and was contacted a few days later to interview for the Trading Desk Operations position. I was asked a time and date when they could send some excel exercises, to be completed in 2-3 days. I sent them back within 3 days, and got a rejection e-mail shortly after. Exercises were not necessarily hard, but tedious and very finance-involved in terms of context, while the context needed is provided through pdf files and explanations.

Interview Questions

• Excel files on haircuts and one sheet on excel functions, lookup, etc.   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The first stage is the Excel test. They want to test both your Excel skills and your ability to comprehend a financial concept they introduce to you for the purpose of the test. If you do well on both ends, you move on to the second round.

Interview Questions

• Calculate transaction fees for a certain set of financial instruments.   1 Answer

Trading Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

First round some basic Excel functions like vlookup; Second round all about mental maths and probability, most of which were tricky problem so try bet on 50% if you fail to figure it out.

Interview Questions

• Chance of getting a odd number of heads in 12 flips.   1 Answer
    • 3 times of weighing to find the fake ball out in 12 identical-looking balls (don't know the fake is lighter or heavier)   1 Answer

Front Desk Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview was an excel sheet about all the financial terms that you need to calculate and then give them the answer and send it back to HR. The interview itself was not that hard, but remembering the financial terms and using excel sheets functions are important.

Trade Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street in March 2018.

Interview

Got to first round of phone interviews after doing a couple excel problems with basic formulas. The interview was just a couple of mental math and probability questions, nothing too challenging, just remember to take it slow.