Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2017

3.7

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied through career center, interview on campus about two weeks after I applied. All quantitive questions, there was a chance at the end to ask questions. They really want you to think out loud and explain your thought process since you aren't allowed to use pen and paper.

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Excel problems that were e-mailed to me; then I sent them back with the answers.
    Then got scheduled for a phone call. Took the phone call and they asked me the following questions. I felt the interviewer was upset with me, and somewhat dry when it came time to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• The bus question and the angle of a clock.
      Then mental math: 37^2, 15% of 130   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Round One 30 minute Phone Interview. Interviewer mentioned Jane Street interviews focus on problem solving and dove straight into them. She asked 3 questions, and leading questions that helped me out throughout. She asked me to clarify my answers each time. I was allowed to use paper and pen, but no calculator or computer. I had about 5 minutes to ask her questions about the compamy.

Interview Questions

• A man is on a 1/4 on a bridge. A train is coming the same direction he is going. The man can run across the bridge in the same direction and make in barely in time. He can also run backwards towards the train and also barely make it. How fast is the train going relative to the man.   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted my resume via the school's job board, then I received a online quiz which consists of excel questions. After that, I had a phone interview where the interviewer asked math questions and asked me not to use pen, paper and calculator.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Four rounds, three on the phone one in person, got to the second round, all tech questions. Everything is probability or game theory, nothing that requires serious previous knowledge but must have strong intuitions for these and be able to explain thought process well.

Trading Interview

Interview

Initially talked with HR. first round consisted of simple math brainteasers and probability questions, most were pretty simple (3 questions total). second round consisted of more difficult math questions (contest style). Also 3 problems .

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Lot of probability questions and quantitative concept checks. Got to second round phone screen, but messed up on questions that were not too diff. Would recommend this company, make sure to have a decent handle on probability and expectation beforehand though

Interview Questions

• Probability questions regarding expected values and permutations   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

two rounds of excel and vba quizzes, then i went in for an in person interview, then met with two groups of two people from the operations and development team. they each asked me to solve a puzzle/logic questions and asked if i had any questions.

Interview Questions

• they described their trading process to me and asked me to map it out   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Emailed an excel assessment and a case study about applying regulation snippets for haircuts. (You don't need any background research for this). Please notice virtually ALL their interviews on glassdoor have "no offer". I think this is a small company that sends out these assessments with no real jobs available. I spend 2-3 hours on their tests when i was pressed for time and in retrospect that wasn't worth it. (I'm an expert in excel and am 100% confident i got everything right - and still no offer).

Interview Questions

• Applying haircuts, using sumifs, countifs, and sumproducts formulas.   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

My interview only lasts 15 minutes. The HR introduces the role and then jump right into three mental math questions. The questions are pretty easy. I spent about 10 minutes on that.