McMaster-Carr Management Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Management Development Program Interview Questions

Updated Mar 1, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Indeed. She sent me a message giving me an overview of the management program and asked if we could connect. She set up a phone call within the next day after I responded. What I thought was a phone screen quickly turned into a phone interview which I was not prepared for but I did well as she immediately asked if I could come up for an on-site interview. I was definitely surprised that having just connected she was willing to do that but I agreed. What I did not like was how vague she was when I asked more about the company and the type of person they're looking for. I also got some off-putting questions about what colleges I had applied to (that was 8 years ago!!) and why I settled on the college I did (top 20 school). Anyway, I went along with it and they set up my interview for the following week on a Friday and all the details were completed by HR within a few hours. I was very surprised at how quickly everything moved, given that I still didn't know almost anything about the company.
I was flow in Thursday night and was taken to the office Friday morning. The HR rep was I incredibly nice and polite and handled my whole day. I was there from about 8:30-2 PM. I had a guided tour, three separate interviews, and lunch with the younger guy who did my tour. The first interview was fine, nice guy, family oriented and typical STAR questions. The second one was very odd, stern lady who asked me very specific questions about how I would reorganize their catalog (at this point I still have almost no knowledge about company), and a third guy who ended up telling me war stories of his time there.
Overall, very strange experience. During the tour, the guide stopped a couple of times and would say "how would you make this more efficient?" about something we had literally just walked over to. I was very confused since it was supposed to be informational for me. Every single interviewer and the tour guide also brought up that a lot of people leave the company and attrition is high- whether that's them trying to be transparent or not, it's still awkward as an interviewee.

Afterwards, I received a 3 sentence rejection email and when I asked for feedback, they said they don't do that. So quite honestly, I feel like they're looking for a very specific personality that will fit into their little box. In the aftermath, I'm glad I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job?
    Why McMaster?
    What colleges did you apply to and what made you choose your major?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

[TL;DR - Alright location, seemingly strong benefits, okay culture, and cohesive environment; go in with a laser focus and talk up your skills and how they fit perfectly with everything you see and you'll be fine.]

I was contacted by email by a recruiter who found me via university career development. I expressed interest in a phone interview, and it was scheduled quickly and was straightforward--largely a review of my resume and selling me on the position. I expressed my interest in hearing more and was told I would hear back in a week if the process would move forward.

The next morning I was contacted again to set up an onsite interview at their headquarters. I managed to delay it to the next week (scheduling around another interview), so they are flexible that way. For those who live a substantial distance from the site, they will fly you out and pay for a car. For those closer by, they will pay for a car service to transport you. The process began with filling out an application. By this point, my name was being floated for both the management and design groups, so focusing my work history and experiences was highly non-trivial. I would recommend being prepared with references and phone numbers if you are recruited like this. I received a final itinerary for my day, including who I would meet and when. Each person was described with their role/background, as well as the university(ies) from which they obtained their degree(s), which I thought was odd. Each interview was scheduled for 45 minutes with short breaks in between.

The first interview was with an HR staff member who was not my recruiter (in fact, I never saw the recruiter all day). The content was another resume overview but was primarily discussing the position, to sell it like in the phone interview. Some questions here and throughout the day seemed like they were trying to see how much I knew about the program and the company already, but researching the role like this is impossible with their prerogative of remaining as secretive as legally possible.

I then met a graduate of the management trainee program, who was a current manager of a few supervisors in the warehouse area. He was pleasant, but highly interested in me asking questions at every moment. It was a hurried tour of the building, followed by a hurried interview. (In general, it seemed like the combined interview day was a bad idea.) I met with a design department manager (~10-15 years experience) next, who had a great perspective about design and team structure. He didn't delve very deeply into the types of work and functions that were performed by design/development training hires, so I left with a vague idea of the job basics. This was a pleasant interview, although I thought there was a huge focus on hard skills gained from otherwise-irrelevant prior experience (e.g. R&D) that one might expect when recruiting engineers. Not enough discussion of personality and soft skills, especially for a generalist position like that for which they appear to be hiring.

My second-to-last interview was a free lunch with two recent grads of their respective development programs. They asked some questions about my career goals, and I asked some more personal questions about the jobs they did (experiences with supervisors, day-to-day tasks). This seemed to generate mixed responses: some facial expressions saying "why would you ask that?" to seemingly innocuous questions and others seemingly congratulating me on the great question.

The last interview was a strange twist. This was with a director (if I remember correctly) who didn't look a day over 25 and had quite a pretentious demeanor. Questions began without any softies, to the effect of "why should I think your name on the recruiter's desk is worth anything?". Not such a great way to end. He asked some company-aggrandizing questions (worded hypothetically, but which I was meant to answer, I learned) about why the MMC business/free returns model works. I asked a few questions after about the business, trying to appease his ego, but was also eager to leave after my day. Generally, a pleasant but bizarre experience, with quite the punctuation from young-wünderdirektor.

I ended up not receiving an offer (learned a week and two days later), and I honestly cannot say I would have taken it if I had. It would at least have been an easy decision for me (given that I received my dream offer the same day as the MMC interview) but for those out there interested in this program, think long and hard about it. I had seen the reviews going in, and while they do appear exaggerated from my experience, it is a strange place with some highly quirky personas. Applicant Beware.

Interview Questions

• Why should I consider hiring YOU out of everyone we have?   2 Answers
    • What was a good experience you had at a former job, and what was a negative about the same place?   Answer Question
    • What interests you in this position (for both the management and design/development positions)?   Answer Question

Management Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter saying she saw my resume on my university's career portal and was interested in connecting over the phone. The email was very vague and included no information about the position, allowing for minimal research on the role prior to the phone conversation. The phone conversation began with the recruiter asking me about my goals and interests to see how well they aligned with the job. I believe this a great way to start an interview. What was strange to me is that after I described my interests, the recruiter replies with a description of the job role and then mentions that our descriptions don't seem to match up and that I probably am not be a good fit, although both descriptions were actually very closely related. Note that this is about two minutes into the conversation. I described my management role, then the recruiter described a management role; the only difference was our wording. The recruiter's inability to see that was the first red flag, as it showed a lack of understanding of the inner-workings of managing a team. The other part of the interview that was a red flag for me was when I asked, "What's the best part of working at McMaster-Carr?" and the recruiter's response was the work-life balance. When asked to elaborate on what the best part of actually being at MMC or to describe the best parts of the MMC work culture, the recruiter was speechless. While anyone can surely appreciate a steady work-life balance, the question was about why someone would enjoy working at MMC. The work-life balance response just says to me, "The best part of working here is getting to go home at the end of the day," particularly because the recruiter wasn't able to say anything good about what happens during the day.

As Ivy Leaguers exiting college, many of us are looking to a) be challenged b) genuinely enjoy our jobs. My advice is, if you're looking to recruit Ivy Leaguers, you need to be a little less bland, a little more open-minded, and maybe less transparent about the fact that working at MMC isn't all that enjoyable.

Had I received an offer, I would not have taken it.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about yourself
      -Why did you choose your university
      -Tell me about your community involvement on campus
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online through my university's career center. I submitted only a resume, no cover letter. I had a 30 minute phone screening with a very friendly HR recruiter, and then was invited for an on-site interview. The HR team there was one of the best I have ever dealt with, and they were extremely friendly. I had three 45 minute interviews with managers, all that were different in format. They ask you a lot of questions about what you are seeing, what you think about the catalog, etc. All in all, I had trouble being excited about the company as it was something completely different from what my background is in, but most managers that I spoke with did come from many different fields - and this is what makes the company and environment interesting. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

First interview was more like a informational interview. The recruiter was very awkward, I felt like I was leading the interview. Second interview was offered to me right after the first interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you select the school you selected? Why this major? What us? How your previous experiences relate to the Management Development program.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

The phone interview was a 45 minute process. They asked basic interview questions, and the interviewer did a thorough job of explaining the hiring process, the job description, and the qualities that they were looking for in a candidate.

Management Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through my campus website and was notified about the on-campus interview a few days later. It was a 30-minute behavioral interview. My interview was scheduled late in the day so my interviewer was noticeably tired. Not a disaster but I didn't feel great about it. A few weeks later I heard that I was not being considered for the position further.

Management Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

On campus interview. One interviewer who asked mostly behavioral questions. After first round, the second round involves multiple interviews on site with managers who also came through the program along with a lunch interview and a tour of the facility. Heard back between 1-2 weeks. People were really nice and helpful along the process. If you're interested in applying to locations outside of your current location, this is a possibility. They are dedicated to helping you find the best fit for your career, therefore they offer good benefits as well, such as tuition reimbursement for grad school.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time which you made a decision and it was the wrong decision. How did you handle this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I first applied through my school's career center. After submitting my resume, I was contacted by a recruiter for a short 30-minute on-campus interview. All of the questions were behavioral and seemed to be aimed at getting a feel for what kind of person you are. I believe they focus heavily on finding analytical and conscientious candidates. I was told it would be a week for follow-up, but within two days I received a call that they would like to fly me to whichever office I preferred for a final round of interviews. I scheduled an interview in their Chicago area office. Flight and hotel were all paid for and easily managed. It was a seamless process.

My 2nd round of interviews consisted of a tour of the facilities and 3 behavioral interviews and lunch with a current MDP. All of the people that I spoke with were great and the company culture was great. So many people there were kind-hearted and simply enjoyable to be around. Regardless of whether I receive an offer or not (though I hope that I do) I am genuinely so grateful that I had the opportunity to meet the people that I did.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was very difficult to answer, though as others have stated, they do ask you to compare their book to Uline's. My only advice is to pick up on the subtleties.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me as I just got my MBA from a Top 5 business school and my resume is posted to my school's database. I asked her for a job description, but she didn't have one (kinda strange, no?). We had a phone conversation a few days later where she told me a little bit about the company and position and asked what I was looking for. Then, we went through my resume in detail for about 30 minutes. She said she'd get back to me in about a week.

Two days later the recruiter called me to schedule an in-person interview with the team. The company doesn't give out who you are meeting with before you arrive and it's hard to find information on it in general (they do this on purpose). I was to arrive at the location at 8:30am to fill out paperwork for 30 minutes. Then, I had a 90 minute tour of the whole facility including the warehouse - they basically take you on the path an order takes when it arrives through when it goes to the customer. Then, I had two 45 minute 1:1 interviews with various employees. Then, a 90 minute lunch followed by another 45 minute 1:1 interview. The recruiter said she'd get back to me within about a week. I was contacted a little over a week later via email saying I did not get the position.

You are encouraged to ask questions during the whole process. The people that interviewed me were smart and had strong educational backgrounds, but I clicked with some and less with others (ie one of them asked if I was an athlete in college b/c of my major - rude).

Interview Questions

• None of the interview qusetions were hard and you don't really need to prepare other than knowing your resume and being able to talk to projects you've worked on.   Answer Question