Paychex Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Paychex

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Thorough. Math test and aptitude test and all.

Interview Questions

• The where do you see yourself question. Wasn't sure of it at the time, so didn't give a good reply.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Through phone and it was a verbal consent. Not too hard to ask for 55k. May have been able to ask for more, based on experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Webster, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Started with a telephone screen. Was short and non-technical. Really just to say hello, brief me about the position, and then inform me about expecting a follow-up email with schedule for the in-person interview.

The formal interview started with a conversation with the position's manager to be. He expressed he was fine with my limited experience with the required technologies so long as I was a smart person who could learn on the job, and that I would fit in with the group.

Next I was given a "math" test. I was told to focus on getting correct every answered question, rather than worrying about finishing. The questions were VERY basic. For example, "If 40 apples cost $5.00, how many apples can you buy for $3.00?" I was given 16 minutes to answer 55 questions of this sort. A calculator was provided, although completely unnecessary. About 8 minutes in, and 75% of the way through the test, a man entered my testing room (just of the main lobby) and started asking me questions - he was looking for someone. I wasted 3-4 minutes helping him find the receptionist, and by the time I got back to the test, I only had enough time to complete 52 of the 55 questions. To this day I question whether the interruption was part of the "test" or not. I wasn't concerned about not answering 3 questions though, as the interviewing manager told me he didn't finish when he was interviewing.

Next I spoke with someone that was not on the itinerary. He spoke at me for about 90% of the 15 minutes I was with him, then finally asked me for a 1 minute summary of my work experience and to also describe a situation in which I was required to learn new skills and how that worked out.

Finally I spoke to the last person on the itinerary who was the boss of the previous to gentlemen. He asked the same "brief overview of experience" question, talked mostly about the company hierarchy and "agile" management policy, then allowed me to ask questions.

The whole thing took ~2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you were required to learn a new skill and how that worked out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

The first day I had a group interview with the people I would be working with, then with the 2 department managers. 2 weeks later I returned to take an aptitude test and for an interview with their manager. I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks, then I got a call from HR with an offer.

The interviews were fairly standard fare. The group interview was mostly about team fit. I had previously interaction with the managers on a contract gig so the interaction with them was casual. The interview with the next level manager was to confirm their choice.

This department changed to an programming aptitude test instead of the Paychex math test so often talked about. It was logic based and I thought it was a fun diversion. A couple of sample questions:
    - here's a list of steps and a desired outcome - order the steps
    - here's a list of business rules and several scenarios - how should the scenarios be processed