Pocket Gems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pocket Gems Interview Questions

Interviews at Pocket Gems

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very friendly asked to implement a binary search tree using specific methods which caught me off guard as I wasn't familiar with the printing method requested so it took me more time to sole the question

Interview Questions

• Binary Search tree implementation using built in methods   1 Answer

Aug 14, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on our interview process! We’re glad to hear that you had a positive experience!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in August 2020.

Interview

Waste of time as others have said. I had two phone interviews and the questions were normal algorithmic questions. One on binary search trees (first round) and other on arrays (second round). Questions were mostly what others have mentioned in other reviews. I gave two optimal solutions in the second round and the interviewer was happy and told me to look out for an email from the recruiter within 1-2 days for the next steps. Got a reject on the second day without any feedback.

Interview Questions

• One variation of BST to find the next largest node and another one on arrays   1 Answer

Sep 2, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for providing insights on your interview experience. We understand that providing feedback on our end is important and will work with our team to continue improving our process.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

Started with an interview chat with a recruiter, followed by interviews with hiring managers in finance and a project assessment. The company responded within a few days with the result. Process overall was clear and well communicated.

Interview Questions

• Why pocket gems? What do the next 5-10 years look like? Tell me a time where you implemented a process?   Answer Question

Jun 12, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re happy to hear that you felt our process was clear and well communicated! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

The total process takes 2 weeks:
    1) Phone interview with HR;
    2)Phone interview with the hiring manager;
    3) Take-home assignment。

The take-home assignment was a real project, which takes me 1 day to finish it. It needs to use excel to build a budgeting model (streamline services advertising). The candidate needs to explain what's the budget amount and why. Both excel calculations and explanations need to be submitted. 3 days after I submitted my assignment, the HR replied saying this position was CANCELED.

I highly doubt that they are using the interview to gather information for FREE from the candidate!! DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS POSITION. It is just a waste of time. It is already a very depressing moment for most of the people with lots of uncertainties of COVID-19. If it is not a real job posting, please stop posting fake info online and gather FREE information, or even resume! Shame on PG.

Interview Questions

Pocket Gems Response

May 5, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for sharing feedback on your interview process. We’re sorry to hear that your experience felt less than positive. The assignment is meant to gauge critical skills for the role and not real-time problems. . We understand that this is a critical time for many job seekers and sincerely wish you the best in your search.

Software Engineer (Gameplay) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in April 2020.

Interview

Started with a recruiter call followed by a very professional senior interviewer and then 2nd round by a junior engineer who clearly have no idea how to interview or how to test the candidate.

Interview Questions

• 1. 2D Grid array
      2. Dynamic programming   1 Answer

May 28, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive to provide a positive candidate experience and value your feedback in helping us continue to improve.

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

I completed an assignment and two interviews. The first interview was a 30 minute video chat with an analytic focus while the second interview was a 30 minute phone call focused on design.

Interview Questions

Pocket Gems Response

Apr 16, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and for sharing your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A take-home assignment, followed by 2 phone interviews with PMs and a 5-6 hour onsite that consisted of 6 interviews with employees of different roles. Most of the interviews were problem-solving and analytical vs. experience based.

Interview Questions

• The typical, where do you see yourself in 5 years and how does Pocket Gems fit into the equation.   Answer Question

Mar 19, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for taking part in our interview process. We wish you the best moving forward!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

I applied online through the careers website and I was contacted by the recruiter for initial screening after 2 weeks of my application. I received a hackerrank challenge after the phone screening.

Interview Questions

• 2 coding questions
      1) Related to string manipulation
      2) Graph   Answer Question

Mar 11, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re glad you began the process with us, and we wish you the best moving forward!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

The interview experience with Pocket Gems was demanding yet positive. The recruiter I was in touch with was also one of the best recruiters that I ever talked to, who cared about candidates as people and explained every step very thoroughly.

My conversation with PG started with a standard recruiter screening conversation. After that, I was given a take-home assignment that asked me to pick my favorite games and evaluate them. There was also a data analysis task, for which basic Excel/R skills could be helpful. I received the invitation to move onto phone interviews after submitting my homework. The two phone interviews I had were typical PM interviews that involve metrics and hypothetical product situations, yet with more emphasis on math. A couple of brain teasers were given. They then moved me onto the final day, which was done virtually due to COVID-19. I met six different people from various functionalities that day, and our conversation spanned across game design, metrics, production, story narration and user interface. The chats were challenging yet exciting. Another interesting fact is that PG has two product tracks: core gaming and casual gaming. The core gaming track will ask more math and game design questions, while the casual gaming track is more like standard app management which focuses more on metrics and user behavior.

Interview Questions

• Your player engagement decreased in the last quarter. What do you do about the scenario.   1 Answer
    • Design a new unit for StarCraft II ( I choose SC in my homework)   1 Answer
    • Brain teaser on probability   Answer Question

Jul 6, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for sharing with us! We’re so glad that you had a positive experience with our team and we’re super excited that you decided to join PG!

Senior Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

I interviewed during the shelter in place order which means I did the entire process remotely. It was a fairly standard interview process, recruiter screen, hiring manager call, take home project, virtual on-site, offer.

Recruiter went out of her way to win me over as I was entertaining a few job offers. The people are really great, and I turned down a higher paying job because of the effort PG made, and the team.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about my experience, some deep dive questions as I made it further along the process - and of course a homework assignment (create a promo video for War Dragons).   Answer Question

May 5, 2020 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for sharing a review of your interview process! We’re so happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience and even more pumped that you’ve joined our team!