Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2018
1,364 Interview Reviews

3.2

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   4 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I originally applied for the position in late November/ early December. Within 24 hours I received the online assessment that included both a call center scenario test and an English/Math skills test. The call center scenario was fairly basic and if you pay attention and read the options carefully, you should be able to pass this with little issue. A word of advice when going through this assessment, use headphones, turn up your volume, and sit in a quiet room. You can easily miss a key piece of information which will impact how you do. The goal isn't necessarily to get through them quickly, it's to get through them in a sufficient amount of time while listening to your "customer". The English/Math assessment is a little more complicated. It takes into consideration your ability to define certain words, use the proper word in a sentence, calculate percentages, etc. Sometimes it comes down to weeding options out if you are not familiar with a word. Again, don't rush through this. You get plenty of time to complete this test.

After these two tests I received an offer to do a phone interview. I spoke with Julie who was amazing. Interviews are uncomfortable and I get extremely nervous, but Julie did such a great job setting my mind at ease. She was friendly and gave me a realistic expectation of the job, environment, and next steps.

Lastly, I had my in person interview. I prepared as best as I could by reading up on the Progressive website and Glassdoor. Although I felt ok, I was worried that I didn't answer all of the questions as best as I could. Again, I was thankful that I was provided with a realistic expectation of the work and what I would be facing in this position. I received a call two hours after my last interview indicating that they liked me and that we just needed to wait on my background check.

Today my background check came in and I got the call offering me the position! I have read reviews that indicate that people shouldn't bother if they don't have claims experience. I do not agree with this at all. I do not have claims experience, but I have other job experience that can translate into claims work. Tie your work and education into your answers. Prepare as best as you can and ultimately have a passion for the company. If you don't get through on the first try, don't give up.

Interview Questions

• Phone & In Person - Why Progressive?   Answer Question
    • In Person - Discuss a time when you were not able to complete a task and what happened?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What do you like & dislike about your current job?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What was your favorite job/position you have had and why?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Jan 5- Applied Online
    Jan 8- Received assessment Email
    Jan 9- Received Email saying I qualified to move to the next step
    Jan 10- Received Email to schedule phone Interview
    Jan 17- Phone interview and background check started
    Jan 18- Received phone call to schedule face to face interview
    Jan 24- Face to Face interview
    Jan 25- Received phone call to inform me that the background check was almost completed and that once complete, they would make an official job offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when change was implemented and what you did to adapt to it   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Communication was fair throughout the process. Submit app, take 2 tests, phone interview, then in person interview. I think they are VERY picky about how you answer the STAR format questions. Don't you dare miss one of those steps in your answers. I asked about turnover and was told they have high turnover due to micromanaging. Hmm. I would have passed anyway.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where your job did not align with your values.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time someone made an unreasonable request and what did you do?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

They scheduled a phone interview about a month after submitting my application. It was supposed to last 30 - 45 minutes. All behavioral questions. Lots of behavioral questions. Every one you could imagine. I found it surprisingly difficult as I was very nervous and this is the job I wanted. Interview actually only lasted 22 minutes but I left feeling decent. I was told I’d hear back by the end of the week if I was moving on and that in person interviews are in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied and received email that they like my resume. Revived invitation to take online assessment. Completed moved to second assessment Completed. Invited to a phone interview for 2.20. Very excited fully aware of long office hours but more than willing to accept the challenge. Studying for the phone interview currently.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY).

Interview

Experts at wasting time, avoid at all costs unless desperate for work...2 part online assessment takes way too long and is quite pointless and is very impersonal. Phone interview afterwards if cleared by their hr team...phone interview was more impersonal...just avoid at all COSTS!

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied on Indeed and received an email asking me to take an online assessment a week later. Next day, got an email wanting to schedule a phone interview. I passed my phone interview and scheduled a f2f 3 days later.....also initiated background check. Went to on site interview and was very disappointed. The interviewer was great, but in the job description they failed to mention this job is also a sales job. If you don't make quota, they will be all over you! I got the feeling they listen to your phone calls and if you don't follow their guidelines, they give you what they call "feedback". Very micromanaged! The pay and benefits are great, but not the kind of work environment I want to be in.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interview

The interview had a lot of steps, and every step of it was pleasant. My phone interviewer was nice, as was my in person interview. Unlike a lot of the people here, I had to only take one test- I don't know why. Both interviews are in the STAR format, which I suggest you practice. They explain the STAR format in the interviews, as well as on their website. I believe I didn't get the job because I could not submit my background check in time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interview

Took two tests, which I enjoyed taking. "Not selected" for an interview. I have over ten years of experience in customer service and I actually enjoy working with the public. I will NEVER use Progressive for insurance.