Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2017
1,206 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (West Palm Beach, FL).

Interview

I had a phone interview and the lady was nice. I passed that stage and was called back for a face to face interview. The person they said that would interview me wasn't there so someone else had to do it and I think it was her first time. The whole process from applying to going through all the million steps took about two months.

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tallahassee, FL).

Interview

I first filled out an online application and then was sent an email to complete an online assessment, after that I was selected for a phone interview which was great, about 4 STAR questions and a lot of questions about previous work experience. Make sure to have your resume and some notes in front of you when you do the phone interview. At the end of the phone interview she asked if I was still interested in the position that she wanted to schedule me for a video interview and to complete a background check. I completed the background check and had a video interview scheduled for tomorrow. Hope I do well and get a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I applied online, got a call back 2 days later for a phone screen. After that I set up an inperson interview which lasted 2 hours with 2 different people and a 30 min sit in for the position .

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Interview

Initial standardized assessment
    Phone interview- STAR Format ( slightly hard to stick to this and not just give general answers for an entire interview)
    Background check
    In person interview-
    I have not had the last interview yet

Interview Questions

• Where did you hear about his job and have you applied to any other insurance companies?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tallahassee, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

I did a online assessment followed by two on site interviews. my first one was based of Targeted Selection and I did great I was told I would be a amazing fit. The second one was with the branch manager they just asked more questions of my experience not based on the STAR format really. I did ok. I'm currently waiting on a offer. My background check was already completed. Overall my experience was great. I enjoyed meeting everyone and everyone was nice. I was told I would here back Friday if not Wednesday of next week. I'm excited. I researched the company before hand and prepared for the interviews. Everyone was really nice and i was told the job would be a challenge but it was nothing I didn't expect.

Interview Questions

• If I asked your current supervisor, what would be your strengths and weakness.   Answer Question
    • What's your day to day job.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized. Stress time management and ability to adapt.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

The hiring processes is pretty long. They have you apply online, if they like it enough they will give you a phone interview. If that goes well, they will have you come in for many hours and speak to lots of different people who work with your boss. If that goes well they will give you a job. It's a good way to figure out who is a good fit for the job, but it does take some time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had too many things you had to do and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2017.

Interview

It's exactly like other reviewers have said:

5/11 Application
    5/13 Online Assessment Test
    5/16 Phone Interview
    5/18 Background Check
    5/25 Video Interview
    6/02 Offer

It is exactly what the recruiter said it was going to be. It took weeks, and it can be difficult with multiple job offers waiting. If you're in the beginning of your job search start here first! Everyone was very professional and was so kind. The video interview is a little different then anything I've done before, and it was a great experience!

Interview Questions

• Give a time when you were faced with an angry customer, what happened, what did you do, what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Claims Generalist Intermediate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

STAR Method. It is very important you stick to STAR when answering your questions. Feel free to take in your examples on a note card. It is best to come up with 5-6 solid examples that you can tailor to any question.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to compromise or negotiate with a demanding customer. What was the issue & outcome?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tampa, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

Very in-depth interview process. Series of online assessments & three phone interviews prior to an in-person interview. Company really wants you to showcase your ability to problem solve, take ownership, & provide superb customer service.