Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017
1,110 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   2 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH ... More

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

11/14 Applied
    11/24 Completed Assessment
    11/30 Phone Interview
    12/8 Background check started
    12/9 In-person Interview
    12/13 Background check complete
    12/14 Received offer & accepted

STAR format questions for both interviews. I don't exactly remember the questions, but you should be prepared to answer questions pertaining to time management & how to prioritize, what you learned in a situation where the outcome wasn't what you expected, how to deal with upset customers, etc. Also, research the company, they may ask what you know about it. Have questions to ask the interviewer.

When answering set it up as a story; what the situation was, what happened, your actions, the outcome and what you learned.

Be yourself during the interview. I had a great experience. Everyone I came into contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. Very positive experience!

Progressive Claim Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interview

Was invited to take pre-assessment exam online. Exam had math and behavior questions. Was not difficult. Was able to pass it and am now waiting for phone interview. Will update once phone interview is done.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Very detailed and in depth interview, however, i can definitely see why it is is necessary. I was extremely nervous. Progressive is an amazing company that I would have LOVED to be a part of. They ask about 4-5 STAR format questions on both the phone interview and the in person interview. Unlike me, try to relax and stay on topic for the question as much as possible. Overall it was a very positive experience

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were very satisfied and very dissatisfied at your job   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Columbus, OH).

Interview

I applied to this position on 12/24 and I received notice to complete the online assessment on 1/14/2016. There is a math portion but it's basic stuff. The hardest part to me was the personality and behavioral questions. It is timed and you cannot go back and check answers so make sure you take the time you need on each section. I received notification on 1/16 that my score wasn't strong enough to move forward.

Interview Questions

• You are a part of a team project rank the following characteristics from least like you to most like you   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mayfield, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

It was easy smooth from phone interview to personal interview, it took around 1.5 hours for each interview, just be prepared for a lot of questions about your owns business life

Claims Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Miami, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

Met on campus and followed up with an online assessment and then an in person interview the next day.

Online assessment wasn't too bad, some basic math questions then a personality quiz to assess how well you tackle issues, work with others and deal with customers.

The interview was about 45 minutes and had a lot of targeted questions in the STAR format. Don't try to google and memorize the questions. Just think back on your job experience and significant moments you had.

Interview Questions

• When did you have to compromise on a position at a previous employer?   Answer Question
    • How have you dealt with overwhelming workloads?   Answer Question
    • What recommendations have you made in the workplace?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied 1/23
    Received email for assessment 1/23
    Phone interview 1/27
    Onsite interview 1/30
    Received email stating the interview went well and they were waiting on my background check I would hear from them within two weeks.
    Today is the two wk date mark. I thought things went very well but not hearing from them makes me wonder otherwise. Interview process long but understandable when applying for a huge corporation like Progressive. Phone Interview was based on the STAR format, Onsite interview was very informative and they asked almost the exact same questions as they list on their site. Gentleman was very professional and very nice, asked me if I thought I could handle the job, most definitely. I thought I for sure had it walking out. No communication since. Will update if I hear anything

Interview Questions

• Talk about an experience where you had to go above and beyond your normal job duties?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2017.

Interview

STAR format questions. You can find these online on their website, they ask almost the same exact questions. Also, make sure you do your research about the company. They will ask you what you know about Progressive so make sure to do your homework on the company.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a time you had multiple projects due at the same time how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Progressive?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you dealt with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you were able to convince someone to see things your way.   Answer Question

Claims Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

You'll be asked to give examples of how you handled situations and expected to give complete examples from beginning to end. Be sure to have examples ready beforehand and be able to explain how the situation came to be, what you did to fix it and what the outcome was.