Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2018
1,425 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   5 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I originally applied for the position in late November/ early December. Within 24 hours I received the online assessment that included both a call center scenario test and an English/Math skills test. The call center scenario was fairly basic and if you pay attention and read the options carefully, you should be able to pass this with little issue. A word of advice when going through this assessment, use headphones, turn up your volume, and sit in a quiet room. You can easily miss a key piece of information which will impact how you do. The goal isn't necessarily to get through them quickly, it's to get through them in a sufficient amount of time while listening to your "customer". The English/Math assessment is a little more complicated. It takes into consideration your ability to define certain words, use the proper word in a sentence, calculate percentages, etc. Sometimes it comes down to weeding options out if you are not familiar with a word. Again, don't rush through this. You get plenty of time to complete this test.

After these two tests I received an offer to do a phone interview. I spoke with Julie who was amazing. Interviews are uncomfortable and I get extremely nervous, but Julie did such a great job setting my mind at ease. She was friendly and gave me a realistic expectation of the job, environment, and next steps.

Lastly, I had my in person interview. I prepared as best as I could by reading up on the Progressive website and Glassdoor. Although I felt ok, I was worried that I didn't answer all of the questions as best as I could. Again, I was thankful that I was provided with a realistic expectation of the work and what I would be facing in this position. I received a call two hours after my last interview indicating that they liked me and that we just needed to wait on my background check.

Today my background check came in and I got the call offering me the position! I have read reviews that indicate that people shouldn't bother if they don't have claims experience. I do not agree with this at all. I do not have claims experience, but I have other job experience that can translate into claims work. Tie your work and education into your answers. Prepare as best as you can and ultimately have a passion for the company. If you don't get through on the first try, don't give up.

Interview Questions

• Phone & In Person - Why Progressive?   Answer Question
    • In Person - Discuss a time when you were not able to complete a task and what happened?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What do you like & dislike about your current job?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What was your favorite job/position you have had and why?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

If you take the personality test say that you like routine and wouldn’t try to improve procedures. I did not get the job because I like change and constructive feedback.

Interview Questions

• Would you say that you do well in a changing environment?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Submitted application and the next day was sent an online assessment via email. It consisted of two types of questions: interpreting data/mathematical calculations and situational based questions that you rate on a scale of how much you agree with the statement or how efficient you believe the proposed solution would be based on the scenario given. Notified via email the day after completing the assessment that they would not be moving forward with my application.

I agree with other reviews stating this company has rigorous screening. I have worked in customer based positions involving problem solving for 25 years. I have experience interpreting legal contracts and applying the information to real life scenarios. I have medical claims experience and negotiation skills and have excelled in all previous positions.

Using an electronic format to access customer service skills eliminates the key element of customer service-the human. There is no opportunity to explain reasoning. Every customer is different and how you handle a situation is not a cookie cutter “efficient” or “not efficient at all” answer.

Based on this type of screening, it appears Progressive does not want the employee to truly find the best way to improve the customer relationship/experience. They want you to follow protocol regardless if the customer relationship could be salvaged via alternative solutions.

I suspect many customers have terminated policies based on this style of customer service.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Monday - Applied online
    Tuesday - Received an email asking me to complete an employment assessment
    Wednesday - completed assessment
    Thursday- Received an email advising that I passed the assessment
    One week later - Received an email requesting a phone interview
    One week later - Received the call for the phone interview at the scheduled time where I was advised the position had already been filled. Then they asked if I would still like to go forward with the interview process.

It is beyond unprofessional and verges on cruel to dangle the possibility of gainful employment in front of a candidate when you’re fully aware that the position is no longer available. It would be better to cancel the interview appointment than to ask someone if they’d like to interview for an unavailable position.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to continue with the interview even though the position is no longer available?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied via Indeed. A week later I received an email to complete two surveys that were relatively easy with a few fairly difficult math problems. A week after that I received another email to set up a time for a phone interview which lasted about an hour. The recruiter was very nice and made me feel at ease through the whole process. A week later I was asked to set up a time for an in-person interview which was with the claims supervisor and the regional manager. The best day my recruiter called me with an offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to negotiate with someone and what happened?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time a customer made an unreasonable request and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Many other behavioral based questions.   Answer Question

Claims Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

The interview is very general. They ask a lot of open ended questions. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about yourself? Why do you want to work for Progressive? Etc.

Claims Estimator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Phone interview, two weeks later a face to face interview, then one week later the offer. They also had a personality test that I took online after the initial phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you solved a problem at work. What was the situation, task, action, and result?   Answer Question

Claim Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Houston, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

Didn’t even get an interview. Sent an application and two days later got a link to write assessment test. Did the test and got an email that I passed. Two days later, got an email that I won’t be proceeding to the interview stage. Apparently I don’t have the requisite skills; I have a law degree, a masters degree and 3 years combined experience as a contract analyst and a solicitor. Ridiculous!

I don’t even too upset about not getting shortlisted, but why send me a link to write an assessment test if you’re going to screen me out by merely looking at my cv. You should do all the screening before telling me to write the test; why waste my time?

Very disappointed.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL).

Interview

Applied through Innosource & was recommended to Progressive. Interview was a little intense but fair. Received offer pending background check. Background check takes a while. Be patient and follow up with any questions they may have.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you experienced at your last job and steps you took to resolve.   Answer Question