Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Nov 19, 2017
1,299 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Claims Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I applied twice - a year ago for CSR and this time for a Claims Trainee. Overall the process is pretty good. Last year, I applied through Randstad - you get a phone interview first, then you are emailed assessments, then you are provided a feedback and move to in-person interview. It is easier to get a chance for an interview through Randstad. I had an interview with a Progressive recruiter and was not given an offer (received an email two days later as day said).
    This year I also applied online through Progressive website - after that I received an email with a link to the assessment, I was then informed that I passed, on the following day, I received another assessment. After that, I got an email that I received qualifying results and to wait. If you want to save some time, check the status on their website - it is updated before you receive a next email. I checked the status and it said: Phone interview will be scheduled. A day later, I received an email to schedule an interview. The phone interview lasted about 30-40 minutes and consisted of STAR questions. I am waiting for a feedback- hopefully not too long. My experience says that they are pretty fast with following up. I do not have high hopes though. Assessments for Claims Trainee were definitely more challenging than for CSR position. I always pass online assessments and if you struggle with them, use logic. Think from employer's point of view. I know that many people do not receive a chance of phone interview even after passed assessments - I have no idea how they "select" people. I will add more if I move on. Progressive has a lengthy but professional recruitment process - I appreciate that you know what's going on all the time and you are not left in darkness about the next steps which is commonly spread now. I believe they have certain picks but cannot figure out specifics. Recruiters are very friendly and helpful but personally, I am on a more reserved side so no clue. It is a good experience to go through this process - nice preparation for future interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time ...
      We will be checking your background, references, criminal history and more - do you have any questions about that?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Good process. First you get a phone interview then you take a test then you proceed to a in person interview. Then you tour the place and learn more.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interview

Applied online, two weeks later I get an invitation to take an hour long online assessment. Three days later I get another invitation for a second our long online assessment. The next day I received an email stating I had passed the assessments, was qualified and would be contacted shortly. Then about 4 hours later I get an email that states they are choosing to pursue candidates with more experience. Total BS, waste of my time. They knew my experience and masters degree etc before they even sent me the assessments. They wasted my time, and now they have lost a customer. Respect is a two way street.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2017.

Interview

Process was pretty in depth. The online assessments were more like taking sat's and may be an overkill for a job as an insurance adjuster. I could see the relevance for a government job but not for an insurance company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult customer and how you handled the situation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Salem, OR) in November 2017.

Interview

After submitting online application, you are requested to complete two online assessments, mostly multiple choice questions, with a call center type simulation in one of the assessments. If you score satisfactorily, you are requested to participate in a phone interview with a recruiter. Mine lasted about 30 minutes and included some basic Q&A and a few behavioral (STAR) type questions. If selected to move forward, you must complete a background check and then an in-person interview is scheduled. The in-person interview was similar to the phone interview and included four behavioral questions.

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2017.

Interview

Very extensive 2 online assessments phone interview background check and in person interview background check is done with 3rd party so make sure you provide all info both interviews follow the star system for answering their questions

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to complete something but was unable to meet it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

It was easy like a conversation. standard behavioral questions that must be in the star format. then they tell you about the job like you got it but then you don't get it

Interview Questions

• describe a time a customer was dissatisfied with your work and how did you handle it   1 Answer

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interview

I applied online. Within a couple days they emailed me a link to take an online assessment. A couple days after taking the assessment they emailed me again to take another online assessment. I received an email the next day stating that I passed both assessments and they would be reviewing my resume. Later on that day I got an email stating they would not be moving forward due to my skills and experience. I met the qualifications for this job which is the reason I applied. I feel like they already knew who they wanted to hire and had me waste over 2-3 hours of my time taking their assessments. If my resume did not match what they were looking for they should have never had me take their assessments. I am very disappointed in their hiring process. People take a lot of time to fill out applications. They should review the application and resume to see if you are up to their standards before making you take two different assessments lasting at least an hour a piece.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to take two online assessments that take an hour long each and pass both of them just to let us tell you that you're not moving forward?   1 Answer

Summer Claims Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Extremely professional and quick. I first had a phone interview and then a skype interview. All questions are expected to be answered in STAR format. They have a page on their website with helpful interview tips.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to juggle multiple tasks and how did you handle it?   Answer Question