Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2018
1,441 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   5 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I originally applied for the position in late November/ early December. Within 24 hours I received the online assessment that included both a call center scenario test and an English/Math skills test. The call center scenario was fairly basic and if you pay attention and read the options carefully, you should be able to pass this with little issue. A word of advice when going through this assessment, use headphones, turn up your volume, and sit in a quiet room. You can easily miss a key piece of information which will impact how you do. The goal isn't necessarily to get through them quickly, it's to get through them in a sufficient amount of time while listening to your "customer". The English/Math assessment is a little more complicated. It takes into consideration your ability to define certain words, use the proper word in a sentence, calculate percentages, etc. Sometimes it comes down to weeding options out if you are not familiar with a word. Again, don't rush through this. You get plenty of time to complete this test.

After these two tests I received an offer to do a phone interview. I spoke with Julie who was amazing. Interviews are uncomfortable and I get extremely nervous, but Julie did such a great job setting my mind at ease. She was friendly and gave me a realistic expectation of the job, environment, and next steps.

Lastly, I had my in person interview. I prepared as best as I could by reading up on the Progressive website and Glassdoor. Although I felt ok, I was worried that I didn't answer all of the questions as best as I could. Again, I was thankful that I was provided with a realistic expectation of the work and what I would be facing in this position. I received a call two hours after my last interview indicating that they liked me and that we just needed to wait on my background check.

Today my background check came in and I got the call offering me the position! I have read reviews that indicate that people shouldn't bother if they don't have claims experience. I do not agree with this at all. I do not have claims experience, but I have other job experience that can translate into claims work. Tie your work and education into your answers. Prepare as best as you can and ultimately have a passion for the company. If you don't get through on the first try, don't give up.

Interview Questions

• Phone & In Person - Why Progressive?   Answer Question
    • In Person - Discuss a time when you were not able to complete a task and what happened?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What do you like & dislike about your current job?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What was your favorite job/position you have had and why?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

They took over two months to invite me to have a phone interview with no communication in between. I feel like this took way too long and is simply unprofessional to not provide any updates on my application status. Be aware that they will no get back to you right away in most cases.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Milford, CT).

Interview

I applied on February 14th
    First Exam : February 15th
    Second Exam: February 19th
    Qualifying Results: February 22nd
    Then I heard nothing back from them for about a month and a half.
    April 10th: I received an email saying progressive had a job match for me. I
     re-applied
    April 16th: I scheduled an interview for April 18th. They use the S.T.A.R method. It stands for situation, task, action and result. They ask you a question and you have to use this format to answer the question. They want a detailed response and if you can think of a complex problem I think it might help.
    April 18th: Phone interview. The recruiter was very professional and kind.
    After the phone interview, they send me a link for background verification. (the same day)
    May 4th: In person interview
    May 15th: Received a call saying that I did a great job at the interview (so I thought yay!) but then the recruiter says with my job history they need someone who they believe will not quit after a year, but I should apply again in a year. My resume clearly demonstrates my work history why waste my time progressive?

Interview Questions

Interview

Phone interview :
    The recruiter was over 10 minutes late calling me. She also had her phone on speaker, or was wearing a headset because the call quality was very poor. It was extremely difficult hearing the questions. I didn't want to be rude by continually asking her to repeat herself.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Houston, TX).

Interview

Basic interview with typical interview questions. You should have different job scenarios in place that you can explain. They are looking for people who can multitask and handle large workload while dealing with difficult situations. Must be willing to work a lot of overtime.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a difficult customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Monday - Applied online
    Tuesday - Received an email asking me to complete an employment assessment
    Wednesday - completed assessment
    Thursday- Received an email advising that I passed the assessment
    One week later - Received an email requesting a phone interview
    One week later - Received the call for the phone interview at the scheduled time where I was advised the position had already been filled. Then they asked if I would still like to go forward with the interview process.

It is beyond unprofessional and verges on cruel to dangle the possibility of gainful employment in front of a candidate when you’re fully aware that the position is no longer available. It would be better to cancel the interview appointment than to ask someone if they’d like to interview for an unavailable position.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to continue with the interview even though the position is no longer available?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tempe, AZ) in June 2018.

Interview

It was very fast. Too fast I felt they are not paying attention to my answer. They don't respond to your call or email at all, so don't try to call or email just wait for them to contact you.

Interview Questions

• What would you do when you dealing with upset customer? You must use STAR method.   Answer Question

Inbound Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in June 2018.

Interview

Interview process took a little less than a month.
    Applied for customer service position or in bound sales. I was then sent an online assessment with basic math and customer service skills.
    Was schedule for a phone interview after learning I had passed their assessment.
    Phone interview was about an hour, with S.T.A.R. Questions. Was given constructive feedback about my answers and to really paint a picture for the interviewer. She was very sweet and let me know that she was moving me forward in the interview process and starting my background check and sent me an email to schedule my in person interview with a manager. I ended up interviewing with someone the I was not scheduled to interview with (maybe she was out sick). I was given the tour on the way to her office and had many S.T.A.R. Questions. I was told they would reach out to me “in a few days.” I heard back via email the VERY next day saying it went well and they would contact me within 2 weeks. It did not take two weeks, the same day (the day following my interview) I was called and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to deal with a high stress environment and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Albuquerque, NM) in June 2018.

Interview

I made it through the initial application process and examination. They scheduled a phone interview, sent me an email reminder a couple days before and then never called! I received an email for the designated interviewer about 10 minutes after the interview was supposed to start stating that he had tried to call me twice but that only experienced "dead air." I emailed back requesting he please try to call me again since I had been siting by my phone and never received a call. Finally after hearing nothing, I called the interviewer. He was caught of guard at first and then told me that the position had been filled that morning so they did not need to interview anyone else! The interviewer did not seem to be very concerned that I had expected the interview and waited for the call. After listening to the interviewer state that they might have some openings in the future, he finally "apologized for the inconvenience." I have very little respect for a company that has zero respect for my time. I set aside valuable time to prepare, practice and review their website which gave pointers on how to prepare. This is not a company that I wish to work for.

Interview Questions

• I did not even get to this stage (see explanation above)   1 Answer