Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017
1,260 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I took the online assessment and went through the phone interview. That part of the process was great and I was invited to schedule an in person interview right away.
    I arrived to the meeting super excited but walked into the most hostile environment I have ever experienced during an interview. I choose to believe that this was a well planned scare tactic because the rudeness and amount of condescending questions I was subjected to were absolutely unreal. It is also quite obvious that this organization puts their profits before anybody else including their employees.
    Regardless of the scenario, there is absolutely no way I would ever agree to work for these managers.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

Interview

5 interviews and massive training. We went through many training program s. We studied to pass the property and casualty test. We were trained how to take the test and how to apply it to our position. Then after passing the test the next challenge was the ambition to sell.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult situations?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

The interview started at 9:18 am was over by 9:38 am there was about 5 questions regarding educational and work history and 5 behavioral questions use STAR method for assistance. If how the interviewer was asking the questions the questions are based off of your response because he got to one question and said no I don't want to ask you that so it should like they have a list of questions and just random chose one

Interview Questions

• How are your metrics determined at your current employer?   1 Answer
    • why do you want to work at progressive?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you were overwhelmed at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current employer?   Answer Question
    • What is a typical day at your current employer?   Answer Question
    • How are your typing and computer skills?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you received constructive criticism from you boss how did you handle it and what changes did you make   Answer Question

Legal Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied 8/9/17 and then heard on 8/29/17 they wanted to do a phone interview. 8/31/17 had phone interview and they did the STAR method as everyone says on here. They also asked my legal experience and what I did at my previous jobs. 9/6/27 I heard back that they were moving forward with me and needed to complete a background check. 9/7/17 was contacted to set up face to face interview and initiated background check. My final interview is scheduled for 9-20-17 so we'll see if I get an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Macon, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application via Glassdoor link to their site and received a request for the assessment within about 24 hours. Within 3 business days I received an email to schedule my phone interview and was then moved on to the in person interview about a week later. I received a call from the recruiter to offer me the position about 3 days after that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to de-escalate an angry customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a typical day in your current position. (To determine your ability to plan your day ahead).   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

The process is long, first you take two assessment test on different days which take about an hour each to complete.
    After this if you get passing scores you will have an interview by phone, the interview will take about 30 minutes.
    If selected you will get another interview with the manager in your area.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult costumer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2017.

Interview

8/31/17 Sent in application
    9/1/17 Was sent link to take online assessment test
    9/5/17 Received an email saying I had passed the assessment test
    9/6/17 Was emailed to set up phone interview
    9/11/17 Had phone interview, was asked to have in person interview after, sent in background check info
    9/13/17 In person interview
    9/14/17 Called and let me know they are going to offer a position but they are waiting on the background check to come back to make it official

Payment Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Phone interview, one on one. It was the STAR approach, tell scenerios from beginning middle and end results. Has to be very descriptive but straight yo the point with an end result of how you handled the situations. So if you do apply please have readily available day to day examples of what you do on the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when a teammate didn't handle a situation the way you thought they should have   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Madison, WI).

Interview

I applied for the position online, was then sent an online assessment and completed it, got a phone interview, drove two hours for an in person interview, completed background check (in which they wanted college transcripts and a complete work history from the last five years of employment), and then they called me to tell me that I wasn't getting an offer. After all of that, it was highly disheartening to not get an offer. It's a rigorous application process and I can't believe I went through all of it for nothing.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance where you were dissatisfied with your job and what did you do to rectify it.   Answer Question