Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2017
1,241 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I took the online assessment and went through the phone interview. That part of the process was great and I was invited to schedule an in person interview right away.
    I arrived to the meeting super excited but walked into the most hostile environment I have ever experienced during an interview. I choose to believe that this was a well planned scare tactic because the rudeness and amount of condescending questions I was subjected to were absolutely unreal. It is also quite obvious that this organization puts their profits before anybody else including their employees.
    Regardless of the scenario, there is absolutely no way I would ever agree to work for these managers.

Payment Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Phone interview, one on one. It was the STAR approach, tell scenerios from beginning middle and end results. Has to be very descriptive but straight yo the point with an end result of how you handled the situations. So if you do apply please have readily available day to day examples of what you do on the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when a teammate didn't handle a situation the way you thought they should have   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2017.

Interview

Applied-Aug 7th 2017
    First Assessment Request- Aug 7th 2017
    Second Assessment Request-Aug 8th 2017
    Request for Phone Interview- Aug 8th 2017
    Phone Interview Date-Aug 11th 2017
    Awaiting to get results back to either move on or schedule in person interview as of Aug 14th 2017. Was told i would hear by Aug 16th.

The process for Progressive is the longest i have been in so far. Ive read other peoples time lines and was about a month. I'm at the 1 week mark. I still have the in person interview and the background check to do to see if i even get an offer for the job. The women i interviewed with was from South Carolina I believe and was very friendly. She could tell i was a little nervous. Talked about what entails in the interview. First was conversation about my employment history and why i wanted to work for Progressive. Then got into the STAR questions. Made sure to answer every part of the question and reiterated just in case she missed anything. It definitly seams like they are trying to see if you would be a good fit for the position instead of just throwing people in there hoping they can learn. Went over pay, training which is 2 weeks in office, 2 weeks in Ohio(they pay for everything she said) and then a few more weeks of training. In total she said it was 3 months worth. At the beginning of the 4th month you are moved to your own desk and given a few claims to go over. You also get paired with 2 mentors which will help you through out everything. In total we spent a half hour talking. I honestly dont think i will be moving forward in the process but if I do, I will update later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you had an upset customer. What did you do and what was the end result.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you had to implement a new procedure. How quickly did it have to be implemented?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Madison, WI).

Interview

I applied for the position online, was then sent an online assessment and completed it, got a phone interview, drove two hours for an in person interview, completed background check (in which they wanted college transcripts and a complete work history from the last five years of employment), and then they called me to tell me that I wasn't getting an offer. After all of that, it was highly disheartening to not get an offer. It's a rigorous application process and I can't believe I went through all of it for nothing.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance where you were dissatisfied with your job and what did you do to rectify it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied-6/19/2017
    Phone interview- 6/28/2017
    Background check complete -july 6
    Face to Face interview-July 21
    Offer letter -July 25

The process was about a month long and very detailed. I was nervous the entire time during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell a time when a customer wasn't seeing things your way?   Answer Question

Adjuster Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Takes about 3 weeks know the STAR format. Be prepared nothing is ever given to you go out there and get it. The company is great i have been with them 2 years.

Claims Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acme, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Acme, MI) in August 2017.

Interview

Filled out application. Four days later asked to take online test. Passed and was interviewed over the phone by a recruiter. Most impersonal phone conversation I've ever had. Guy had my resume in front of me, and didn't even know that I actually lived in the city in which the job was domiciled. Makes you think this company is too big, and you're just a number. Not to mention they had already filled the position, and didn't make me aware. Wasted my time completely.

Interview Questions

• All situational questions. You had to answer as if you were a robot.   Answer Question

Claims Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2017.

Interview

Panel interview, three people at different levels in management. Progressive always has and still uses the STAR method. There were other specific questions regarding the litigation process.

I began interviewing with Progressive in June for a litigation position. I applied via employee referral as I am already an ex progressive employee. I was ultimately passed up for the position at that time, it was given to an internal candidate or so I was told.

Fast forward two months and I am contacted directly from a progressive recruiter for the same position I previously interviewed for. At this point I already have another job however I hear them out, thinking they will just make an offer since I must have done well for them be calling so soon.. Little did I know they would ask to interview in person again, not much has changed over the past two months but ok. I ask them to out of respect my new employer and me to conduct the interview over the phone, they refused. I jeopardized my employment and interviewed with them again in person.

I was told via email that a recruiter would follow up with me within 7 days of the face to face interview. On the 10th day I reached out to the recruiter directly via email since I did not get a response. The following day I received the generic "We have decided to not move you forward" email. I will never understand where I went wrong in this process? Oh wait I didn't.

Have some decency and respect the next time you solicit a highly qualified candidate to re-interview for the same position. Shame on me for thinking this time would be different?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to prioritize between two important tasks.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tempe, AZ) in August 2017.

Interview

I found out after the fact that Progressive employs Randstad to conduct their phone interviews. After 2 online assessment tests (each one about an hour) you will receive an email for a phone interview. The phone interview was going alright until I asked about the company culture. The phone interviewer gave the false impression that they were a progressive employee. After that question the interview was abruptly ended. I though it was odd until I received a rejection email and surprise, the interviewer had a Randstadsourceright.com email. I would rather work for a company that has their own resources to conduct interviews, so when I have questions about the company it comes from an employee rather than a 3rd party. Had I known I would be speaking to a 3rd party I would have declined the phone interview. I want to work for a company that is invested in its employees (future and current) rather than one that cannot be bothered to handle the hiring process itself.