Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2018
1,404 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   4 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I originally applied for the position in late November/ early December. Within 24 hours I received the online assessment that included both a call center scenario test and an English/Math skills test. The call center scenario was fairly basic and if you pay attention and read the options carefully, you should be able to pass this with little issue. A word of advice when going through this assessment, use headphones, turn up your volume, and sit in a quiet room. You can easily miss a key piece of information which will impact how you do. The goal isn't necessarily to get through them quickly, it's to get through them in a sufficient amount of time while listening to your "customer". The English/Math assessment is a little more complicated. It takes into consideration your ability to define certain words, use the proper word in a sentence, calculate percentages, etc. Sometimes it comes down to weeding options out if you are not familiar with a word. Again, don't rush through this. You get plenty of time to complete this test.

After these two tests I received an offer to do a phone interview. I spoke with Julie who was amazing. Interviews are uncomfortable and I get extremely nervous, but Julie did such a great job setting my mind at ease. She was friendly and gave me a realistic expectation of the job, environment, and next steps.

Lastly, I had my in person interview. I prepared as best as I could by reading up on the Progressive website and Glassdoor. Although I felt ok, I was worried that I didn't answer all of the questions as best as I could. Again, I was thankful that I was provided with a realistic expectation of the work and what I would be facing in this position. I received a call two hours after my last interview indicating that they liked me and that we just needed to wait on my background check.

Today my background check came in and I got the call offering me the position! I have read reviews that indicate that people shouldn't bother if they don't have claims experience. I do not agree with this at all. I do not have claims experience, but I have other job experience that can translate into claims work. Tie your work and education into your answers. Prepare as best as you can and ultimately have a passion for the company. If you don't get through on the first try, don't give up.

Interview Questions

• Phone & In Person - Why Progressive?   Answer Question
    • In Person - Discuss a time when you were not able to complete a task and what happened?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What do you like & dislike about your current job?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What was your favorite job/position you have had and why?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Colorado Springs, CO).

Interview

Phone interview and then in person interview if selected hired right away. The interview used the Star method. That was all to the process. Overall the interview process was pretty good.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Interviewer did not seem interested in interviewing me. Did not feel I was given a fair chance. Interviewer was late, and did not even apologize. Other staff present were not very friendly or welcoming at all. The position is still vacant and it has been over 4 months.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions asked where behavioral questions using the STAR format!   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I applied in mid February and was sent the assessments next day which are very easy to pass. After that I got an email saying I would be contacted for an interview however didn’t hear anything for about a month. They is mid march i got an email to set up a phone interview the interviewer was great and lasted about 45 mins mostly comprised of STAR questions. I found out the day after I was selected for the next interview. After that i was contacted for a webcam based interview via Webex and again the interviewer was awesome and I felt so comfortable. This interview lasted roughly about 45 mins as well. The questions were in the same STAR format but were a little more difficult than the phone interview. A week passed after the interview and the recruiter said i did a great job at my interview. That Friday I got a call saying they wanted to offer me a position and the following Monday I got the call with my official offer. I am so excited to work for progressive and start my career!

Interview Questions

• Study STAR format questions and just practice responding to them.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Applied, 2 weeks later phone interview. Was about 30mins. Recruiter was informative but sounded very fake. Asked 2 behavior questions and stated I’d get a email on rather or not I’ve been selected for a face to face interview. 4 days later I was not selected and considering I’ve been offered other claims positions at other insurance companies idk why I wasn’t selected. All of them ask the same type of questions. It was Just a waste of my time. I read thru the reviews on here and I see they where true. don’t waste your time. All they do is give false hope. I’m glad I already accepted another offer so no lost here.

Interview Questions

• Discribe a time you had to go about and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

Work From Home Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Sterling Heights, MI) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Got offer to take assessment online. Passed that. Had telephone interview a week later. 2 days later received email that I was not selected. No real opportunity to explain why I would be a good candidate for this position just had to answer their “ tell me about a time when” questions. Honestly, not everyone has an answer to those situations and if it’s not closely related to the job you’re applying for then you are penalized. Almost feel like you have to make up an answer to appease what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you solved a technical issue at work.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Progressive?   1 Answer

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2018.

Interview

I applied 2/5, took a skill based assessment 2/11, had a phone interview 3/1. I noticed that the job description said "Valid drivers license required." I asked why this was, since this is a desk job. The recruiter said that they try to move people from claims adjusters working at a desk to field adjusters within a year/year and a half. I asked for room for growth and she told me "field adjuster" was the next step. I was pretty surprised, as field work is very different from a desk job. I am so glad that I asked why this desk job required a drivers license, as I have ZERO interest in being a field adjuster. I am a small young woman and do not want to take a job where the room for growth involves driving around alone, sometimes in the evenings, to towns/areas I am unfamiliar with.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Multiple online assessments that quizzed your personality and how you interact with customers. Also, an assessment to see if you are consistent with your answered and are honest in answering them and a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a time when you made a bad decision and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mount Laurel, NJ) in March 2018.

Interview

I had a great experience with progressive recruiting. At times I was worried because I was going off of eveyone else's timeline. I would say just make sure you study the STAR format if you are not familiar with it and have great energy and you will be fine. I was very lucky to have a great recruiter (phone interviewer) and also the Manager and Supervisor. Everyone I spoke with had great energy and made my interview really easy.

2/22/18 Applied online
    2/23/18 Was emailed first test
    2/26/18 Took first test
    2/27/18 Sent second test
    2/28/18 Took second test
    2/28/18 Received qualifying results on both assessments
    3/6/18 Received email to schedule phone interview
    3/9/18 Phone Interview (was told at the end that I was being passed to in person interview)
    3/12/18 Background check started
    3/12/18 In Person Interview
    3/15/18 Received email stating they liked me and was waiting for my background to clear
    3/22/18 Background Completed
    3/26/18 Offer Accepted

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question