Texas Instruments Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Texas Instruments Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

One phone interview with a manager that asks about your work experience and coursework in school. The on-site interview is two 1 hour interviews with three people where they asked all technical questions. There were no behavioural questions. They will ask you about what you know and then go in on that topic so don't lie and say you know something. The groups that interviewed me work in CPU and digital design. They asked software and hardware questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design flip-flop using transistors.   Answer Question
  • 2. Write a function in C and then convert it into assembly   Answer Question
  • 3. Explain setup time and hold time and how it contributes to the data path   Answer Question
  • 4. Design adder and then convert into subtractor   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Texas Instruments

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Talked with recruiters at my university's career fair, and they set me up with an on campus interview for the next day. This interview was mostly behavioral with one or two relatively easy technical questions.

A month later I was contacted about a phone interview. For this interview I had to create a presentation about something I had worked on in the past. After this interview I was flown to Dallas for the final round of interviews.

The Dallas interviews consisted of 4 separate interviews with mostly technical questions of moderate difficulty.

Interview Questions

• What is a problem you have had with a project in the past, and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Gainesville, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

A group of UF alumni came to Campus and gave some on campus interview opportunity. The interview took 30 min per person. The questions shown in the interview were based on a simple circuit and let us analyze the circuit function.

Interview Questions

• a voltage to current transfer circuit, basic circuit analysis   Answer Question

Design Engineer () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (El Paso, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

It was my first job interview outside my school environment, i was nervous and anxious, i answered the questions based on my abilities but i guess i was not too prepared because of time (2 hours) notice. I hope to be called again for another interview soon.

Interview Questions

• What failures have you ever had at work   1 Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.I got an on campus interview at the carrier showcase. The next day interview was relatively easy and I was told that they will contact me for a second round of interviews through email. but the next day I got an email that I was not selected for further interviews. guess they changed their mind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Tempe, AZ) in October 2015.

Interview

I got the basic interview through career fair where they just checked the resume and asked few simple questions. They scheduled another face to face interview the next day. The interviewer was friendly and the interview lasted for half an hour.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly regarding the basics of MOS transistors, design of amplifiers etc and about the projects in resume.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments in September 2015.

Interview

Applied after speaking with a recruiter at a university career fair, had an on-campus behavioral interview, and then was contacted about a phone interview involving a screen-sharing technical presentation. The technical presentation was about a project on my resume, and the interviewers asked a few questions regarding my presentation and the design behind it. The second interviewer had a feeling of behavior gauging that extended a bit further than that of the on-campus behavioral interview. Follow-up e-mails were quickly responded to, and I was kept updated on the status of my application.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time?   Answer Question
    • Given X design (from a project), would you want to use an op amp capable of operating well beyond the needed voltage range?   Answer Question
    • What is the purpose of a diode with relation to the motor in Y design?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Started by getting an interview on campus in early September after talking to TI at a job fair. Interview consisted of very simple electrical engineering questions and a couple behavioral questions. The interviewers had a fairly positive response and all but guaranteed me a second interview over the phone.
     A few weeks later I was contacted to set up a phone interview using a screen sharing software. I was told to make a presentation, so I made one about my masters thesis. After giving the 15 min presentation, the interviewers asked more in depth technical questions on the project and some other things based on the skills listed in my resume.
     A week after this I was invited to an on site interview at TI in Dallas. The interview was split into two 1 hour interviews with 2 different interviewers in each, one focusing on analog and the other in digital. The questions in this interview were similar to the ones in the phone interview along with some more behavioral questions. After the interviews they said that they would get back to us within a week if we were not going to get a job or a bit longer if we were as they would have to find a place within the company to place us.
    After hearing nothing for 2 weeks I emailed and asked for an update. They replied quickly saying they had found a possible position for me at another location, but I would have to do another phone interview. I had this fourth interview in the middle of November, and it was eerily similar to the first phone interview I had, although I wasn't required to do another presentation. Thinking I had nailed this interview since it was the second time I had done the same thing, I figured I would surely get the job.
    Another two weeks later I emailed TI again asking for an update. The person in HR I was in contact with responded promptly, saying the person I interviewed with wanted to fly me out to his location for a fifth interview and the HR person was trying to prevent that. I responded saying I was still interested and would do anything to help the process along.
    I ended up having to take a much less desirable position at another company because TI was going too slow and the other company offered me a position in 4 days. I informed the person in HR about the other job and asked for them to continue searching for a position within TI for me, but I suspect they are no longer looking.

supremely frustrating

Design Engineer Interview

Interview

First I interviewed with a TI recruiter on my college campus. Then after that had a phone interview where I had to give a technical presentation and answer a basic opamp question. Finally, I was flown down to Dallas for an on-site interview. The interview process was fairly smooth and the recruiter was very nice; she coordinated everything well. On-site I was asked behavioral questions (Why do you want to be a design engineer? What skills do you have? etc) as well as technical questions.

Interview Questions

• 1) Draw the cross-section of a MOSFET, the I-V characteristics and describe nonidealities
      2) Voltage waveform of an RC circuit across the resistor and capacitor
      3) D flip flop configuration
      4) Some tricky circuit analysis questions
      5) Design a comparator at the transistor level
      Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

It was an in-person interview from referral. I was asked about the project I've been working on, and my experience on IC design. They also mentioned several different positions, and asked my preferences. Questions were not difficult.
    Follow-up emails never got replied. Never heard from them for a couple of months. No offer.