Texas Instruments Product Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2017

2.9

46 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The process consisted of four stages. First was a phone interview with a recruiter from TI, during which we discussed the positions available and my interest/fit for each one. I was then scheduled for a HireVue virtual interview where I recorded my responses via webcam to a set of 5 or 6 questions. I then participated in an interview with an engineer for which I was asked to present a powerpoint of a technical project, and had to respond to a few technical questions. I was flown in to Dallas, TX for the last part of the interview process - for which I spent a day having lunch with current TI members and the other candidates for the position. This was followed by a series of three interviews the next morning, with a pair of engineering managers for each interview session. They asked both behavioral questions and technical questions during the interviews.

Interview Questions

• How to approach the testing of a device if not enough input ports were available at once   Answer Question
  • Sorting algorithms for array elements   Answer Question
  • Ohm's Law Circuit Analaysis, Combinational logic-gate circuit diagram   Answer Question
  • Most diverse team that you worked in, and the challenges associated with it   Answer Question
  • MOSFET inverter logic-gate, AC/DC analysis of a MOSFET amplifier circuit, Diode questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Texas Instruments

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Instruments in December 2016.

Interview

Initial interview took place at an on campus career fair. This consisted of 4 behavioral questions and one technical question. The behavioral questions were based on prior experience. The technical question was EE related basic analog problem, not difficult. Come prepared with your prior experiences in mind, including projects and previous work experience. They want to know how you have run into challenges, and what you did to overcome them. They also asked about team based projects, and scenarios where conflict may arise and how you would deal with that. Second interview was over the phone. I shared a technical presentation describing a previous project I had worked on, they want to see how you think and go about solving an issue. Throughout the presentation they questioned me about functionality of certain components in my project, so make sure you understand ideal textbook conditions for your work. Not very difficult questions, mostly the basics. But make sure you don't talk about anything you don't know alot about, really understand what you are presenting on.

Interview Questions

• During the presentation they asked how an ideal op amp worked, what the input and output impedance was at the terminals. Second question was programming related, given integers a and I, what is the difference between a = ++I and a = I++   1 Answer

Product Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Texas Instruments in December 2016.

Interview

I applied at campus fair, made sure I had a list of recommendations on me.I think a prof may have recommended me.Started with me giving a presentation on my favorite projects. They asked good questions about the project so make sure you know your project inside and out!!!Then had a one -on -one he showed me a vague timing diagram to see if i could figure it out.Overall it was a good experience, was not hard.

Interview Questions

• guess what this timing diagram represents by looking at the axis and its behaviour   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got an email a few days later for the first-stage interview which is through HireVue. It was just some pre-recorded stock interview questions, they're just screening out people who can't talk about themselves.

A day or two later I was invited to do an online interview, again through HireVue, for which I had to prepare a short presentation on a project. I was expecting technical questions but the two interviewers, both of whom were product engineering managers, seemed sort of disinterested. I wrapped up my presentation and got some more behavioral questions.

Soon after I got a call inviting me to Dallas for the final stage interview. The dates were sort of inflexible so I had to go in November in the midst of classes, but they definitely make it worth your while. Flight, rental car, and hotel were all great and paid for. We went out to dinner with some current people one the rotation who were made available just to answer questions; they claimed that they were not involved in the decision-making process.

We were given an interview time for the next morning. Be sure to be there at noon for the complimentary lunch, which was amazing. I had two 45m-1hr interviews with two managers each. The first was very simple, with the expected technical questions. You'll probably get a basic question about CMOS and a linear circuit. The rest of your questions will also be basic and derived from your resume.

It's worth mentioning that my second interview ended up being pretty intense. I was drilled on analog design for what felt like 15 minutes until I faltered. From what I heard this is a common technique, so don't be afraid to get pushed and fail. They want and expect to see the limits of your knowledge.

Since there isn't much information about the position out there, I'll also share some of the interesting things I learned. The rotation is two one-year assignments. The first assignment is a role in product, test, or product+test, depending on the business group. It can be located anywhere. They ask about your preferences if and when you get an offer, but it's a crapshoot unless you ask for a major location like Santa Clara or Dallas (these are probably the two best locations anyway. Dallas has an insane amount of amenities and resources, whereas Santa Clara is right at the heart of Silicon Valley). The second assignment will be a non-PTE role, and here I think the decision is made primarily based on your preference and your manger's preference, with a nod to company needs. After the rotation you are expected to return to the location and role of your first assignment permanently, but my understanding is that it's common for TIers to move laterally so don't worry too much about finding out you hate PTE. My major gripe was the uncertainty of work. For both assignments, you potentially don't find out the position and location until 60 days before you're expected to switch over.

I was told a week later that I would be getting an offer, but did not receive the details and location until a month after that. That was fine by me as it gave me more time to hear back from other companies.

If you're reading this in preparation for the third stage, you'll be interested to know that of the ~12 people in the group before mine, half got offers. Not hugely useful to know without more context, but the larger point is that you have a good shot at this point, and you're not competing with your group, so feel free to relax and make some new friends or connections.

Interview Questions

• Draw an NMOS schematically and in a cross-section view. Draw an inverter and explain how it works. Solve a simple circuit that ended up being a Thevenin-to-Norton conversion. Some simple stuff from resume. Explain a project on a whiteboard.   Answer Question
    • Here I got drilled on basic Analog Design concepts since I was taking a class on it. Started with drawing an inverter. Show how you'd do small-signal analysis to demonstrate that it can produce gain. Swap the NMOS and PMOS and draw the output for a given input. Some questions about gain and the decibel scale. A really interesting question about the fastest way to turn on a MOSFET circuit (answer was due to parasitic capacitances). Full on analysis of a cascode amplifier (where I finally fell apart). It was tough and fast but friendly throughout, and I was talked through the parts I missed. Don't put Analog Design on your resume unless you can sound confident with these subjects.   Answer Question

Product Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2016.

Interview

1st round record yourself answering 5 behavioral questions, you get limited amount of time to answer each question and a very brief period to review each question. Done through HireVue. 2nd round was a direct webcam call with 2 employees, lots of technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about a lab class I was taking and what kind of circuits I was working on   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (New York, NY).

Interview

I had three rounds of interviews. The first interview on campus was mostly behavioral, with one technical question. The second round interview was conducted online. I had to put together a presentation of an engineering project, as well as answer several technical questions and very, very brief behavioral questions. The third interview was placement into a department. They went over my resume, and very briefly asked me some technical questions.

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I had a short interview with a recruiter in on campus fair. asked some question about my background and my research.
    they show interest and asked me to give them a resume but I haven't heard from them after that. The fact that my background is electrical engineering was a positive point for them, I was looking for an internship position.

Interview Questions

• 1. what is my experience in device fabrication?
      2. what stands me out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Got an email from some one in HR telling me to do an online interview through Hirevue website. Did the interview where you are given an interview question and 2 minutes to prepare an answer. You record your answer through your webcam. There were 3 questions that were all behavioral questions. No technical questions. No response from anyone at TI after the interview. Been more than a month.

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2016.

Interview

First meeting at career fair at university; contacted for on-campus interview, followed by phone interview. Did not get past the phone interview. Behavior questions and past experiences, nothing technical.

Interview Questions

• Describe experiences working in a team and demonstrating leadership.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

So far, I have done 2 interviews. I'm interviewing for two positions, and I guess for this position, they looked at my first video interview for the other position. I did a 5 question video interview. Next, I did a virtual presentation of an old project and spoke to two members of TI. It was a good experience and great talking to the two. I am now awaiting feedback and hoping that they invite me back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about this circuit and what is happening in it? (A picture was shown to me)   1 Answer