US Postal Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Postal Service Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2017
1,604 Interview Reviews

1.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2015.

Interview

The entire process took just over a month, and about a month and a half till the start of orientation (Remember this is a government job so there's always extensive screening processes). I did an online application on December 10th, 2014. Following my submission, I was emailed a link to complete an online assessment. They both were fairly easy; it seemed more or less to see if you were competent (the second was more personality based questions).

A week later on December 17th I was emailed a link to sign up to do a proctored exam. This you have to complete within x amount of days (I think it was complete it within 5 days). I was worried since I obviously was working a different job and it was a week before Christmas. Luckily there was a date and time that I was available for. I signed up for Exam 473 Delivery, Distribution and Retail and took the exam on the last available day: December 22nd, 2014. There's plenty of practice exams and examples online so research it! Its not a typical exam and not a good one to walk into blindly. They will email you your results before you get home from the exam. I think the passing grade that qualifies you for the CCA position is 82%

A week later on December 29th, 2014 I was emailed an invite to interview face-to-face. Along with this email, they also send you links to complete a background check and to go in to a place to do a drug test (urinalysis).

They do mass interviews/orientations so they tell you a date and time and there's not much leeway. Mine was for January 6th, 2015. I walked into a conference room with 50 other people there for the same position. (I live in a large city with many cities/post offices so there were plenty of positions open). We filled out paperwork (In case we were offered a position it would be done already) and then the HR rep gave more details about the position to weed out any weak ones (which some people actually got up and left). Then we all were individually interviewed (5 at a time and my luck I was the last round of interviews...it took over 2 hours until my turn).

On to the actual interview:

It was easy...really easy. Whenever I do any job interview I always find something to connect me with my interviewer. Luckily this happened immediately. I like finding a connection because then you can mostly talk about that (instead of the job) and build a relationship getting them to really like you. My advice: be the one to ask questions and lead the interview. Anywho, the questions were so simple, mostly just to see if you are willing to battle the weather. Since I live in a region that gets bombarded with blizzards in the winter and extreme humidity in the summer, they just wanted to see if you were up to being outside and walking in the extreme conditions. It was basically just a compatibility interview to see if you grew up with a strong work ethic and if you can handle the outside world. At the end of the interview my interviewer told me she was going to recommend me for the position ( I don't know if they typically tell people that; I was just the last one of the day and we had good report so I think she told me to lessen the pain of being there all day).

2 days later on January 8th, 2015 I received another email giving me a conditional offer for the position contingent on passing a medical assessment. The medical assessment consisted of 3 questions just asking if you're on any current medication, if you have any current injuries, and if you have any past injuries that will prevent you from doing any functions of the job. I printed it out and emailed it back within 5 minutes.

Then on January 13th, 2015 I received my final email congratulating me on the position and confirming that I was actually being hired. In the email I received instructions on my week long paid orientation that starts January 26th, 2015.

Hope this helps. I will post another review after my orientation!

Interview Questions

• Have you had a job requiring you to work outside before?   21 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

PSE Mail Processing Clerk Interview

Interview

On July 1st I took my exam passed that with a 79.60 soon as I got in my car I receive the results on July6 I received an email to do a drug test and background today I called Gis and they told me that my background check and drug test were completely clear just waiting on interview I hope I don't have a long wait for that

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (King of Prussia, PA).

Interview

It takes a very long time to go through the process. You must apply online, and then you will be asked to take a test. If you score high enough you will be considered and asked to attend an orientation/interview along with many others also being considered for multiple different positions. This part of the process was very smoothe and simple. The people running this we're very nice and everything seemed well organized.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job?   1 Answer
    • What would make you a valuable asset to the postal service if hired for this position?   Answer Question

CCA Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

Applied via the online portal for a position listed as "City Job Fair." Was invited to attend an interview in SF which I unfortunately could not attend. Was offered the job anyway, via email.

Interview Questions

• Based on your recent interview with the USPS (non-existent), we are glad to offer you a position. Will you take it?   1 Answer

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

I was given a look around. Went through a couple points the interviewer had on paper. Not a bad experience, but seemed the guy just wanted to give me a look and quick rundown rather than personally evaluating a potential employee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Van Nuys, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Van Nuys, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Cattle call to tell you about the job and then individual interviews. I knew as soon as I got an older white man (who kept telling me he did the job at 20 and it was hard he couldn't do it today) he'd put me in the No Select (NS) file. Felt very discriminatory

Also, the process took about 4 hours of my time.

However, after reading how horrid the managers are (I assume he was a manager or a post master), how badly CCAs are treated, and how high the turnover rate is (over 65% I believe) guess I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• The Interviewer kept going on about when he was 20 he could barely do the job (I'm assuming he was late 40s/50s) The few questions he asked are below.

Asked if I would feel comfortable working outside and for long hours.   1 Answer
    • Asked if I could take direction from my employer.   1 Answer
    • Asked if I would be comfortable wearing a uniform.   1 Answer
    • There's a lot of walking and heavy lifting do you think you'd be able to handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Brought to a room with 80 other people watched a video about being a cca and then we were pulled aside for a one on one interview took a long time

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williston, ND

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Williston, ND) in August 2017.

Interview

This was the easiest and most comfortable interview of my life. The Postmaster is a very nice man with an easy-going but very professional attitude. He is personable and doesn't need your whole life story to get to the job requirements. He is open about the job and answers all questions. I will be in training for 2 weeks, about 5 hours away, so the USPS is paying for that time and trip. Once Hired, the process gets moving.

Anonymous Interview

Interview

they hire anyone long as background and drug test is good for seasonal very process but for the pay your not treated like the perm people. I would go back depending on where i am placed

Mail Carrier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

Walk into the office with other people applying for the job. The postmaster tells everybody about the job and what is expected of them. The packages and mail would be heavy or light and expect to be called at any time.