Vanguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 16, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Basic phone interview first. In person 2nd interview with a case study. Questions regarding what you know about the company and general financial markets. Questions regarding career goals and what you're looking for. Trying to see if you'd fit with the culture

Business Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

45 minute phone interview with one of the head recruiters. The lady I interviewed with was very nice. The first thing I did was walk her through my resume. Then she asked why I wanted to work at Vanguard and what I can bring to the table. Finally it ended with 3/4 situational behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What is a weakness that you have and how did you overcome that weakness?   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

I applied online through my school's job portal and was contacted to have a phone interview. That was loaded with the standard questions: why your major? what are your goals? what do you know about Vanguard?. After that I was invited for an interview for any of their 3 campuses. Chose the closest one and was provided with a hotel room for the night before. The in-person interview consisted of a Vanguard presentation (expected to be in the role for 1.5 years top), then a role playing exercise with a distraught client, then a 2 on 1 interview where they asked standard behavioral questions. STAR- describe your Situation, what Task did you need to do, what Action did you take, and what was the Result.

Financial Analyst, MBA Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

They flew me up to Malvern for the night and had me go through a day long interview process.

Prior to arriving, they emailed asking that I prepare to speak about ETF’s and their potential and what opportunities they present to Vanguard.

When I arrived the next morning, there were about 10 - 12 candidates there that all turned out to be interviewing for the MBA internship and I was the only one applying for the full time MBA position.

They brought us in a room and introduced themselves and spoke a little about Vanguard. Pretty routine stuff you can find on the internet, so if you do your homework then about 85% of what they say is no surprise.

Afterwards, one of the managers or senior level guys led a discussion on ETF’s. It was pretty easy if you just did you homework. Just regurgitate what you found reading about it earlier and make sure you get your comments in early. As any group discussion, the first couple answers are always free be’s. The senior guy did fight back with some follow up questions just to make sure people were able to actually understand what they were talking about.

One guy got hit hard on a follow up question and didn’t have a response. We all literally just sat in silence while this candidate stumbled over his words and couldn’t validate his point. So make sure you can back up your comments!

They then broke it up into 2 behavioral 1v1 interviews with senior management and an excel tech test. Just as any other behavioral interview, make it into a normal conversation is what I did. Depends who you get but 1 guy was very formal/structured/ robotic and the other guy was very relaxed and eager to talk.

The tech test is pretty basic. Calculate the growth of stocks and costs, etc.

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Vanguard in December 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application through my university's career website and received an email from a recruiter the same day asking to schedule a phone interview. The phone screen lasted 30 minutes and included some basic questions on Java and Object Oriented Programming.

Investment Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2017.

Interview

Delightful experience. They used the STAR interview method and utilized situational role play to get a feel for your real-time critical thinking and problem solving skills. I enjoyed the interactive nature of the process and felt that it gave me every opportunity to showcase my skill set.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a client how exhibited some hesitation with following through with a given recommendation?   Answer Question

Accelerated Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter who urged me to apply for the position. After submitting application I was notified a few days later that the company would be pursuing "more qualified" candidates

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

30-45 minutes interview, behavioral questions and details about your past experiences. Make sure to know about the company website and their products. Practice all types of STAR questions and look interested.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

With Vanguard's below average salary, I applied for this position as a back up thinking I'd definitely get the position. Basic questions about why you're interested and some STAR based questions having to do with customer service. I've never worked in a customer service role so I bombed the interview. I guess it's for the better - I don't wanna be answering phones all day every day anyways.

Fund Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Had a phone interview. Asked few behavioral questions. Then, got invited to headquarters for interviews with four managers, two hours long. Mainly behavioral based questions. Use Star Method.

Interview Questions

• What do you do to keep up with current events and news?   Answer Question

CSS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

Did one phone screening with a recruiter then came into the office for an in person interview. During the in person interview, there was a half hour role-play and a half hour of behavioral questions. Vanguard loves when you use the STAR method to answer their questions. Role-play was a customer calling in and you had to resolve an issue for them. Very customer service focused. Do not worry about not having a financial background. Just know some basics for the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 on your role-play?   1 Answer