W.W. Norton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Norton Interview Questions

Interviews at W.W. Norton

2.9

Sort:

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

Interviewed by Creative Director, Marketing Director, and Editor-in-Chief. Questions were very thoughtful and job-specific, and focused on fit more than on expertise.

College Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

Started with a phone screen from the regional sales manager, then an in-person interview with the same manager. After that, I was flown to New York for a full day of interviews at the main Norton office. I met with editors, marketers, digital marketers, the head of the college department, and even the president. Lunch was an interview with editors and the national sales manager.

Interview Questions

• "What have you been reading lately?"
       "What does a sales job mean to you?"
      Normal behavioral interview questions ("Tell me about a time when..." etc.).
      "Sell this pen to me"
      "If you were to be talking a professor in X field, how would you engage them in a conversation?"   1 Answer

College Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

There was a 4-part interview process - mine took over 9 weeks and 10 individual interviews.

First, the region manager called me for a phone interview. Next, there was an in-person interview over lunch at a local restaurant. Next, I spoke with two other regional managers in individual phone interviews. Finally, I was flown to NYC for an all-day interview process. There were 6 people I met with (up to and including the National Sales Directior and National Marketing Director.) Each NYC interview was 30 minutes back-to-back with lunch in the middle. W. W. Norton reimburses for travel/food expenses accrued during the one night in NYC, they covered hotel and flight costs.

Interview Questions

• Multiple times I was asked, "Why Sales?" since I had no direct sales background and was an English major/previous marketing and videography experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview. Pretty brief only took about 15 min or so. Make sure you have questions to ask them at the end too. Mostly went over things she found interesting or pertinent on my resume and then asked what kind of lit I would enjoy reading and working on. Gave a day to day rundown of intern responsibilities.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed with two assistants, who were super lovely and easy to talk to. They asked about my past experience, particularly anything that related to books. About a week later, I was offered the job.

Intern Interview

Interview

After submitting my resume, I was promptly reached out to and given some potential interview times-- all very cordial and required little effort. Despite not getting the offer, I left feeling that the company culture (or at least what I saw of it) was professional and ambitious yet it seemed to promote a sense of ease in its environment and employees.

Interview Questions

• Why go with publishing over [another field I am interested in]?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I had a phone screen interview first. Group interview with a bunch of entry level employees. The interview was very short and they asked about what tools I'd used before. They asked if they could pass my resume onto other departments but I never heard anything after that.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

I applied for an intern position at W.W.Norton and heard back from the company about a week or two later. We set up a one on one interview (no phone screen) for the next week. It was all quick, easy and my interviewer was really nice. The rooms are really small/no windows, which can be a killer for some people, but it's quiet, professional and "solid" from what I gathered.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into publishing, rather than editing? It's not a hard question, but they really want to see your passion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Was talked at by one person for about twenty minutes. She told me all about Norton, showed me work in progress on a draft of a book, and explained how she got to her current position. I had a chance to interrupt a few times and express interest in what she was talking about/show her that I had some knowledge, but didn't really have an opportunity to talk much about the position. She passed me off to the next person, who didn't really ask me many questions/wasn't very personable. All in all, not the greatest interview experience.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton in November 2014.

Interview

After I sent in my resume and cover letter, I was contacted about a week and a half later via email. We set up the interview for three days later. The interview was in the conference room, just myself and the interviewer. It was very relaxed. The interviewer was nice and responded to many of the points I made which made me feel more comfortable. The whole interview lasted about 40 minutes. A week and a half (plus a follow up email) later I received there decision, also via email.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite task to do and why, and, also, what is your least favorite task to do and why?   1 Answer