Wayfair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in January 2018.

Interview

This is for the Entry-Level Software Engineer role for the Wayfair labs programme.
    I applied to Wayfair through an Employee Referral in the first week of January.
    I was contacted by a recruiter within 12-15 days, and the whole process took 2 weeks.

Phone Screen:
    The recruiter scheduled a brief call and asked about my experience, what do I know about the company and their programme. They might throw in a couple of questions regarding your projects and how well you have worked in a team. Having PHP on your resume is a bonus as they work on that a lot.

Coding Challenge + Code Sample :
    The recruiter sends a Coder-pad link, with a question on it. You have to complete it 60 minutes. The question is fairly easy. They will also ask you to send them a code sample. It can be any project you have worked which can show your coding abilities. (Make sure its modular and well commented and follows the coding standards).

Technical Interview (60 minutes)
    Once an engineer reviews the coding challenge and your sample, the recruiter will schedule a phone interview with an engineer (60 minutes). You will work on the same Coder-pad link of the coding challenge.
    The engineer will ask you about a couple of projects you have worked on.
    He will then ask you to explain your code which you did in the challenge. Make sure you read it before the interview and analyze for time/space complexity and could you have done it with a better approach.
    He will move on to a php question. He will throw in a PHP code and ask you to explain and debug it (mostly related to an edge case) and then try to find what output it will generate.
    This part was tricky because not everyone has worked with PHP a lot. But you can ask him to explain certain syntax you aren't able to understand. This part checks your presence of mind.
    The last leg of the interview was a VERY easy array based question. Try to throw in a couple of alternative solutions and compare their time and space complexity.

Behavioral Round:
    After I cleared the technical interview, the recruiter scheduled a behavioral round of 30 minutes. The Wayfair labs programme manager will take this round mostly and will ask you all those tricky behavioral questions. They will focus on how can you work in a situation of conflict, or a difficult person.

Final call with the recruiter :
    After the behavioral round, the recruiter scheduled a call within 2 days providing an update on my candidacy.

Overall Experience:
    Very good. The recruiter was very prompt.
     The interviewers made sure I was comfortable talking to them. They were looking for a conversation than a traditional interview.

Tips/Suggestions :
    1. Try to come up with alternative solutions to the problems you solve to give them a better understanding of how you think. You should explain your solution in an easy way.
    2. Prepare your projects well and try to tell express what you learned from them.
    3. CULTURE FIT is something they really care about.
    4. Come up with the good question to ask them.
    5. Research on the company REALLY well. Follow their tech blog, learn about their work culture from the engineers working there. They appreciate it during the interview.

Good Luck!!

Interview Questions

• PHP Question. Explain the code, find bugs/correct them and show what output it will generate.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair in February 2018.

Interview

One of the directors interviewed me, started off with asking who I was and what I was interested, followed by why Wayfair. Then went into a case study given three different datasets they have, and a few business specific questions on how to solve certain issues related to competition and revenue.

Interview Questions

• If we have a class of barstools we are selling, how can we find a metric to understand how these barstools are performing in the market?   Answer Question
    • Let's say Amazon undercuts the price of a similar barstool by 10%. Should we undercut as well, and if we undercut and don't see any improvement in selling performance, what may be the cause for this?   Answer Question

Senior Recruiting Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Wayfair hiring manager and probably the worst conversation I had in my life. The interviewer was so aggressive. Wayfair needs to understand that they are NOT God of employers and also need to realize that the candidate is also judging them in the interview. The entire recruiting world has given an interview at Wayfair.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

Went through on campus recruiting, the process was about 6 weeks. There were 2 rounds of interview, a video interview and than an on-site interview. The interviews are combination of case session and behavioral session, and not too hard overall. Interviewers are friendly and HR staff are super helpful.

Site Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone screen. Fun call with energetic recruiter who said she was super excited and definitely wanted to move me to the next stage in the process. A week passes, and nothing. No response to two direct emails. If I'm no longer a candidate, why not let me know? Leaves a bad taste in ones' mouth about them as a prospective employer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you improved performance in a contact center.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

Reached out by HR, and had a phone interview with a DS manager. I was ask to explain my current situation and followed asked to explain my most proud of project to him. The whole process was pretty nice, but I did not prepared good enough

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

referred by a friend who is working in there now. Got rejected less than a week. I applied for the entry-level position which I thought was very match my background but however, the recruiter didn't think so....sad

BI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in May 2018.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter for a Data Engineering position, who then set up a tech screen (coderpad). The manager who administered the tech screen provided some feedback that I would probably also be interested in working on another team (it was very unclear what that meant). The result was that the recruiter had the Analytics organization reach out to me about an additional BI role; the initial recruiter stopped talking to me altogether with no communication as to why.

I was then asked to take another phone screen with a manager in the BI space. This was not a proper tech screen but more of a discussion about technical experience. Eventually I was contacted again and invited for an on-site interview.

The on-site had three rounds and about 3-4 hours in total. The first round I met with one of the directors in the Analytics organization; this was more or less a standard behavioral interview. In the second round I met with two people at the same time. They provided the 9-step model mentioned in other reviews. They gave me 25 minutes to work through the model on my own and then explain it to them when they return. Realistically this means providing the mathematical explanations to each step and also translating that into real-world importance. In my experience this is not task representative of typical BI work and I struggle to see the value posing this challenge. The final round was a set of math problems related to marketing campaign value. The math was basic algebra.

At the end of the interview I was told I would have feedback in about 1 day. 4 business days later I followed up with the Analytics recruiter. The following day I received a call with saying that they debated my candidacy for quite a while and elected to pass on me. The reason I was given was that there was concern that I did not demonstrate experience in managing stakeholder requests/expectations. I was told that my technical ability otherwise exceeded expectations for the role. The recruiter told me that they still consider me a candidate for the Analytics organization and that they will circle back with me in 6 months.

The final result of this process is frustrating to say the least. The reason they gave for rejection seems extremely vague and the recruiter did not seem to receive any specific examples of where this attribute was being tested nor my insufficient responses. It is doubly concerning that the interviewer said she will contact me again in 6 months and still considers me a valid candidate. This combination of vague feedback and the desire to reach out to me again in the near future makes me think there is something wrong internally.

As an additional note, before the on-site I was told that there was a specific team that would likely be the best fit for me. I was told the on-site lineup would mostly consist of members of this team. Only one member of the team was present during the interview and it was unclear if they were even the hiring manager. If I was hiring someone onto my team, I would make sure to be in attendance.

I think the most frustrating part of this process was that it took over a month to be told I am great fit but I will not be extended an offer of any kind. I feel the interview process to which I was subject does not allow candidates to demonstrate ability with relevant skills. The final reasoning for rejection makes little sense in the context of the process, which lends me to believe there is something else going on.

I was told by multiple sources to avoid interviewing with this company and my experience has certainly reinforced that sentiment.

Interview Questions

• walk the interviewer through a 9-step predictive model and explain the math and business value.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in May 2018.

Interview

2 rounds of Telephonic interview, then 4 interviews in person on 1 given day.

4 rounds of back to back case studies.
    The 4 Associate DirectorS interviewed from different verticals interviewed.
    Overall it more like a learning curve.

Interview Questions

• I had back to back 4 round of case study interviews - it was intense.

Interviewers never asked any behavioral questions.
      Interviews kept on pushing different numbers and scenarios and due to continuous push, I wasted my time in explain my methodology and explain the assumptions and never reached to conclusions.   Answer Question

Virtual Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita Falls, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Wichita Falls, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

The person I interviewed with did not have very much information other than their WAH program is very new and not a long term project. Their responses to specific questions regarding how many employees they currently have working from home was very evasive.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work from home   1 Answer
    • From the information I gained from the person conducting the interview is that their WAH program may be an experiment and not a long term program.   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

30 minute phone interview followed by in-house interview with different teams. I was asked to run through my background and current job. I had a very hard time hearing because there was a lot of background noise on their end and it was difficult to keep focus at times.

Interview Questions

• Scenario questions requiring you to think quickly on the spot   Answer Question