Wayfair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

2.8

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Process was very disorganized.

The first recruiter (outsourced) who contacted me blew off our first scheduled call and then contacted me again a month later. He scheduled another try but then called me a day early. Phone interview with him was straightforward, but the questions were clearly being read off a list and didn't "flow" together very well.

I was contacted separately by two recruiters a few days later to schedule an on-site and another phone interview. Neither of them seemed to know that the other was also working with me and told me to go ahead with both but then apparently actually spoke to each other and only scheduled the on-site.

The actual on-site interview was probably the only positive part of the process. The people I interviewed with did a little more talking at me than asking questions, but everyone was very friendly and professional and everything moved smoothly.

After a few days I hadn't heard anything, so I emailed the coordinator who had scheduled the interview and received no response. A few days after that, I emailed the other one who tried to schedule the 2nd phone call and she immediately responded to apologize and let me know that someone told her they were moving forward with another candidate.

Overall disappointing experience, particularly for a company that claims to take pride in the "candidate experience."

Mac Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

Fairly easy, standard questions for the field. One phone interview with HR and then an in person interview with associated team. Offer was received and accepted. Full process took roughly 1 week

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

The in-person interview was two 45-minute interviews. Be aware that they do not reimburse for transportation if you're "local" (and did not inform this beforehand), while other similar sized-companies in same industry in the Boston area do reimburse.

HTML/Css Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

The initial interview was over the phone. After the recruiter clarified if I applied to the position she jumped into the technical questions without warning, but not without admitting that she didn't look at my resume until just then. With that in mind, it also revealed that she didn't bother taking a look at my website portfolio to see my past work. The abrupt pop quiz threw me off, but technical questions aren't new for the interview process (it was just a lack of warning). The unfortunate part was the lack of clarification on the questions she was reading over the script. Each time I asked a technical question or asked to clarify her questions, she wasn't able to respond appropriately and referred to the answer, "You're going to have to ask the guys in the department". This doesn't quite help for both parties when the recruiter doesn't understand the questions she's asking. The situation ultimately ended up with me assuming what she was trying to ask, which again doesn't bode well for the employer and candidate.

In the end, it seemed like she wanted the process to be over as she kept asking, "Is there anything else?", after each question, I asked. The pushy cadence by the recruiter had me wondering if that attitude was a reflection of the culture within Wayfair. If that was the purpose of the brashly formatted interview, then I'm glad I found out early on.

Despite a courtesy reminder about a follow-up, the recruiter hasn't contacted me back.

Interview Questions

• What is the Box System?

How does an inline-block work?

What does visibility do?

*There were more questions, but I do remember the above more clearly.
      1 Answer

Vendor Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

2 phone interviews: Both very investigative interviews, trying to identify interest, technical capabilities and fit. First with recruiter and second with VP. Both very well conducted.
    1 case interview: On this one, I felt like I was interviewing for a different position and was asked several questions related to inventory management, and not vendor management. Very serious.

Overall, the first two interviews were great and although I left with no offer, I still have a great impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• - Tell about a problem you faced.
      - Inventory problem case
      Answer Question

Wayfair Labs Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was phenomenal. I got a request for an initial phone screen two days after I sent in my application online (I applied on a Saturday, they got back to me on Monday). The technical recruiter was extremely friendly and kept me updated through the entire process. After the phone screen, I received a coding challenge. Upon completion, I was invited for a technical interview with one of their software engineers. That was about an hour. After that, I had a cultural interview with the manager of the program a few days later. Again, an hour. Between each of these interviews, the technical recruiter kept me informed and up to date, checking in with me to see how I felt about each step. Not even a week after the cultural interview, I received an offer. (All of the interviews were conducted over the phone. The technical interview was on the phone and through coderpad.)

Interview Questions

• Technical Recruiter: Basic questions (how did you get into tech, tell me about your experience, what are you looking for, etc)   Answer Question
    • Technical Interview: Balanced Brackets, looked at some PHP code (which I had never worked with), random selection of an array   Answer Question
    • Cultural Interview: Tell me about yourself, Why Wayfair****, Tell me about a time when.... (few of these)   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

First I applied online. I received an email to set up an online phone screening. After the phone screening, I was given a test to complete over the weekend as I interviewed on a Friday afternoon. After the test, I heard back from the initial recruiter about how the Hiring Manager wanted to speak with me. Another phone call was set up. I did the phone call then 2 weeks later I heard back from the recruiter who wanted to set up another phone call with her. I went through this. It was basically asking me what I thought of the process thus far. We set up an in-person 3-hour interview. After this, I didn't hear back. Finally, after I reached out 2 times I got an automatic response that said I wasn't experienced enough.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and experience?
      What made you pursue this career?
      Why Wayfair?
      What is one thing you feel you could improve on?
      Walk us through your resume.
      Answer Question

Operations Analytics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

3 Rounds:
    1. Phone Interview by someone from Recruiting Team( 25 min)
         Interviewer shares background with Operations team, should hear back in a day or two
    2. If they're interested, a phone interview with tech team, hear back in a day( 45 min )
    3. On-site interview with the whole team, hear back in a day (3.5 hours)

It was Round 1 for me. It was simple. Friendly interviewer. Did a quick background check on LinkedIn, and learned that he had a masters degree in Theater, so I somehow expected more behavioral questions. He did describe the technical responsibilities of the team, but he did not ask technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your background   1 Answer
    • Here's what we do at the Operations team (explained the job functions from the Job description). Is this a role that sounds interesting to you?   1 Answer
    • You mentioned you're interested in the Data Science field. I just want to make sure you understand the exact analytics part we do at the Operations team.   1 Answer

Procurement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Took about 3 weeks, included 2 phone interviews and one long skype interview with 4 different people. Questions were mostly behavioral, and it seemed like they were more concerned with how a new hire would fit into their culture rather than technical proficiency regarding actual job requirements. Every single person I talked to asked me the same questions, including one person I talked to twice who asked me to run them though my resume both times.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through your resume   Answer Question
    • What stakeholders do you think are important to notify when making decisions on contractors?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair in April 2017.

Interview

Heard beard from recruiter a few weeks after applying online requesting for a phone screening. The plan was for Friday morning the following week. Recruiter emailed within minutes of scheduled time that she wanted to reschedule for following afternoon that same day. Attempted to set up a time for that Friday afternoon, but recruiter did not respond back until Monday, asking to set up a day and time for that week. Once again, the plan was for Friday morning, but the recruiter did not call at all, even after more than half an hour after the allotted time. Emailed the recruiter attempting to set up a phone screening a third time but have not heard back since.

Either the recruiter has ghosted me or they have moved on with the application process, but even so most companies will have the decency to tell one if they did not make the cut.

Overall, a very negative interview process not because of the questions they asked, but because the recruiter was being very difficult to work with and to put lightly, very unprofessional. If HR and talent acquisition are supposed to be the face of the company, then this reflects very poorly on Wayfair as a whole.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of this interview was trying to get the recruiter to call the applicant on the scheduled day and time like they had planned.   Answer Question