Wayfair Reviews

3.5
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
1,704 Ratings
Pros
  • "They offer free snacks and coffee in the breakroom everyday(in 196 reviews)

• "Excellent positive work environment(in 113 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is not a company to work for if you want a work life balance(in 93 reviews)

• "Upper Management is not well structured(in 73 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Wayfair and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great Place!

Apr 22, 2021 - Senior Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work !

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A perfect place to keep your head down

May 12, 2017 - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

652 people found this review helpful

Wayfair Response

Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the problem, but leadership would love to learn about these issues to refine the Wayfair employee experience. We do try to create an open and transparent environment; one thing we’ve started doing is department-wide anonymous surveys. This has been helpful in identifying issues where people don’t feel comfortable speaking up for whatever reason and pinpoint where any issues may exist. As you noted, the company is growing very quickly - our Engineering team alone has grown tenfold over the past five years. I won’t pretend we get it right all the time, but we do aim to scale our teams and our systems reasonably to meet the rapid growth of our business, and we rely on employee feedback to refine these processes. To that end, we’ve put a lot of time and energy into our interview process. And, we closely track our voluntary and involuntary attrition rates to make sure we are keeping high employee retention and so that we can immediately nip any potential issues in the bud. For Wayfair Labs, we’ve made huge strides since the beginning of this program, and our average success rate is now over 90%, with several classes at 100%. We also run management trainings on giving, receiving and soliciting feedback. In these trainings - and in general - we encourage respect for all teammates and partners, communication and collaboration, and we try create opportunities for people to take on new challenges. I am very excited about the work we’re doing to solve tough challenges and there’s an exciting opportunity for our employees to do big things – our goal is to build a team that feels encouraged and empowered to do so. I’m very sorry you didn’t have the experience we try to cultivate. Once again, thank you for this feedback.

3. 4.0

Benefits are amazing!

May 11, 2021 - Senior Service Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. Very diverse culture. You can rise through the skill levels very quickly. Rate of pay matches the work you are doing.

Cons

Due to COVID the need for Wayfair to hire to keep up with the demand did create agents that were not trained properly as well as the need for team managers. Bad team managers can make or break your job quality as well as your position with in the company.

4. 2.0

Top 5 Worst Jobs I’ve Ever Had

Apr 14, 2021 - Customer Service Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote Equipment provided Employee discount Did I mention I’m here because it’s work from home?

Cons

This is probably the worst job I’ve ever had. Employees in other departments are snooty & do not know the meaning of constructive criticism. It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it but I suppose no one here learned that growing up. I bet you’re wondering why I’m still here? It’s extremely hard to find another remote role right now, but as soon as I do I’ll be gone. All this company seems to care about is their metrics, and on top of this some of the metrics make no sense when it comes to ACTUALLY HELPING the customers. In my interview, the recruiter sold so many dreams about how the company promotes from within. NOT HAPPENING unless you want “skill up” within service. I’ve applied to at least 3 internal roles and have yet to receive a response. Doesn’t an employee at least deserve a rejection letter? Instead, I’ve been left in the dark. A lot of people come off as so condescending. This experience is truly not what I was expecting. I had such high hopes for this company & I am totally let down to say the least. Apply with caution.

11 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stable but Stingy

May 4, 2021 - Senior 3D Artist in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stable and steady job for people based in the Boston area. The culture is inclusive, if not a bit cultish at times. The people are great, I've very rarely had a bad experience with any of the teams at Wayfair, even after 4 years.

Cons

Very low in the industry pay ranges, very little room to grow if you're not looking for management. Tends to be quite the echo-chamber and the bureaucracy makes change very slow and painful. The culture is pretty damn cultish; from day one they start trying to feed you the cool-aide. The performance reviews are likely the most despised feature of the company. The entire system is built to induce year-round stress to ensure employees are getting better, lest they get a bad review. A few bad reviews can lead to a downwards spiral, depleting morale and leading to a termination.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

You actually sell your soul

Apr 20, 2021 - Product Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money...... yeah pretty much the money and benefits. Location was awesome before this mess. There are some other smart, motivated people hiding amongst the garbage and they're all really depressed.

Cons

I could write a book, but I'll keep it succinct. As soon as you take away the awesome location in the center of Boston, the great interior design that makes you feel important, the pod outings and the snacks, you end up with a ton of sad, angry, work-life-balance-less zombies who dread logging into work every day. The amount of incompetence, butt covering, point blank lying and crazy (CRAZY) gaslighting is enough to make your head spin. I wanted to stay for at least 4 years for the lovely, lovely stock, but this place literally broke my soul. And it's broken a laughably high percentage of my colleagues' souls to the point where people are seeking therapy and medication, or quitting without notice. In a word, it's lunacy. And they know it, because Voice survey results are abysmal enough to bring in consultants.... who haven't accomplished a thing.

11 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overall great experience and fair company

May 10, 2021 - Specialized Sales Consultant in Bryan, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great training for future inbound roles - Fair compensation if you are willing to put in the work - Really fun culture and loved & respected all my managers

Cons

- Bonuses were very competitive and ranked you according to your peers. This is common in Sales, but took away from the team aspect in some ways. - Unfortunately in the news a few times which was kind of annoying.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a place to build a long-term career

May 7, 2021 - Manager Supply Chain in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stable and steady job for people in the Boston area. Enough flexibility to manage your work-life balance. Inclusive culture and Great people

Cons

- Resistance to new ideas or methods at least in operations - Poor downward management and lack of transparency - Performance Reviews are questionable - more than an encouragement it is an impediment to progress and to do your best work

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's a step in the door, not a place to hope for a career

May 5, 2021 - Rather Not Say
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many opportunities to move in different departments. Free swag. Stock and benefits.

Cons

This company destroys drive and ambition in the best employees. Working hard gets you little recognition unless you are the "right" people. Your wages aren't reflective of the work or hours you put in but what they want to pay you. Be careful about wanting to be an individual, that is frowned upon here. If you don't have the herd mentality and believe as the company or many of the workers do, you are an outcast. Things change so much within the company that no one really knows what is going on and everyone is always trying to figure it out. Leadership is mediocre at best all the way to the top. There may be a few great ones but they have either been fired, left of their own free will or are slowly falling to the wayside.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Great

May 11, 2021 - Associate in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

company culture, benefits, technology, innovation

Cons

NA NA NA NA NA

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,875 Reviews