Wayfair Reviews | Glassdoor

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

1,047 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance was almost too good (in 93 reviews)

• Casual work culture; flexbility offered; people friendly; free snacks; fun events" (in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • While the work/life balance is very good, Wayfair only recognizes 6 holidays (in 38 reviews)

• Entry level compensation not the greatest (in 45 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Tremendous opportunity and growth potential"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is one of the few companies in the world at a significant scale (~$6.5B market cap) experiencing tremendous growth (~40% in Q3 2017). This creates a ton of opportunity for people who are smart and eager to grow.

We also have teams working on interesting and difficult problems across the business, including a large team that is focused on reimagining large parcel delivery. Wayfair has the chance to become the best in the world at shipping big, heavy, fragile products, and will completely change how people shop for furniture in the process.

It still feels like Wayfair is in the early stages of capturing the market opportunity in front of it, and it is extremely exciting to be a part of that.

The senior leadership at the company is very strong overall, and I have a high degree of confidence in the direction of all of our teams.

Cons

Base compensation is lower than some key competitors for talent, but all-in comp with bonus + equity is strong. We don't always communicate this very well, which hurts the business.

The rapid growth creates some painful situations. People changing managers 3+ times in 6 months, many folks reporting to first time managers, frequent re-orgs, etc. I don't mind this, and I've learned to roll with the punches, but if you are someone who hates change you will not be happy at Wayfair.

Broadly speaking, benefits are worse than places like Facebook/Google/HubSpot/etc. Wayfair is a frugal company, and you won't find free lunch or massages or daycare here. That said, this enables us to reinvest in the business and continue to grow, which over time will make your equity valuable enough to more than make up for the inferior benefits.

Advice to Management

Move bonus into base salary. Increase paternity leave and some other key benefits that people really care about.

Wayfair Response

Dec 28, 2017 – Engineering Director

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We're glad you think Wayfair offers meaningful challenges and opportunities for growth.

2. "Fast paced, exciting, huge growth story"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, also lots of really good people
    Where else in the Northeast can you find a company at this scale growing this fast?
    Dynamic, nimble, and TONS of opportunity to have an impact.

Cons

If you're looking for something predictable, Wayfair isn't the place for you!

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk.

The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read.

They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy.

The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this.

Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment.

So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars.

Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever.
    Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness.
    A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear.

It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Wayfair Response

Nov 13, 2017 – Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the... More

4. "A startup that made it"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

I've been at a number of startups, and had my reservations of working at a big company, but one thing that felt instantly familiar about Wayfair is that creative, intense, "get stuff done" vibe that many of us at small companies have grown to love. This is a small company that grew into a big one but hasn't forgotten its past along the way. There have been a number of challenges and bumps in its growth curve, but it's kept creativity and ambition as its north star, which has been reassuring.

The company's growth rate is crazy, but it means that there's room for anyone with a smart idea to move up.

Cons

The office is everything we love and hate about open offices -- lots room for communication, but also lots of noise that can make it hard to focus. There are ways to work around it, but it can be pretty offputting in the outset, esp. if you're coming from a smaller company with a less dense office.

There is one company culture, but as you may imagine in a 7000+ person company, each team and department is going to be a little different, and some are more functional/high performing than others. Take company wide reviews here with a grain of salt, both pro and con. If you do interview or dip your toe in, dig in to how your group or team operates and what they value.

Advice to Management

Consider more flexibility in compensation arrangements. The stock is doing well and is a nice benefit, but there are probably a lot of people who would be willing to forego the RSUs in favor of a little more in their paycheck.

5. "Overall Casual, Collaborative & Friendly Environment"

Current Employee - Account Operations Analyst in Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Account Operations Analyst in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people who care about learning and development of their employees. Outstanding benefits and incentives (free snacks, coffee and monthly pod outings). Paid time off is a nice bonus.

Cons

Pay is fairly low and the climb to higher pay is a long journey. Work can sometimes be monotonous, performance based almost entirely on metrics.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Freedom to be creative
    - Great perks
    - A lot of opportunity for career growth
    - Strong teams and relationship building

Cons

I don't see any cons at the current moment!

7. "Fantastic company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orem, UT

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved wayfair. Such a fun company.

Cons

Hard to stick to a diet with all the free food! This could be a pro or con!

"Wayfair pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid work life balance. Decent company to work for.

Cons

Management is too young. Poor base salaries for extremely talented employees. No structural organization within the company itself. It prides itself on the virtue of never ending new protocols for streamlining work. But in reality it's the blind leading the blind. If they want to compete and retain top talent then they need to think about adopting best practices within the company as well as fixing the huge pay gap between what they expect out of employees and what they actually pay.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring children straight out of college. Perhaps look for people with proper management training and experience. Pay people what the job is actually worth.

"Great Place to Work and Grow"

Pros

growth opportunity, ability to be creative and take risks, ability to have a big impact on the business

Cons

differing thoughts/rules on working from home across different teams

Advice to Management

keep up the transparency

"Associate Product Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly culture. Some autonomy. Very collaborative. Open work environment. Work/life balance is amazing.

Cons

Company does not like to take big swings. Hierarchy usually wins. Not fully customer obsessed. Not fully Agile.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees well or else they will leave. Path to promotion needs to be outlined

Showing 1,047 of 1,116 reviews