Wayfair Reviews

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
1,312 Ratings
Cons
  1. "Currently waiting to interview"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

The on boarding process has been so fast and smooth

Cons

At the moment I don't have any to share

Wayfair2020-06-03

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

Wayfair2017-05-12

Wayfair Response

November 13, 2017Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the problem, but leadership would love to learn about these issues to refine the Wayfair employee experience. We do try to create an open and transparent environment; one thing we’ve started doing is department-wide anonymous surveys. This has been helpful in identifying issues where people don’t feel comfortable speaking up for whatever reason and pinpoint where any issues may exist. As you noted, the company is growing very quickly - our Engineering team alone has grown tenfold over the past five years. I won’t pretend we get it right all the time, but we do aim to scale our teams and our systems reasonably to meet the rapid growth of our business, and we rely on employee feedback to refine these processes. To that end, we’ve put a lot of time and energy into our interview process. And, we closely track our voluntary and involuntary attrition rates to make sure we are keeping high employee retention and so that we can immediately nip any potential issues in the bud. For Wayfair Labs, we’ve made huge strides since the beginning of this program, and our average success rate is now over 90%, with several classes at 100%. We also run management trainings on giving, receiving and soliciting feedback. In these trainings - and in general - we encourage respect for all teammates and partners, communication and collaboration, and we try create opportunities for people to take on new challenges. I am very excited about the work we’re doing to solve tough challenges and there’s an exciting opportunity for our employees to do big things – our goal is to build a team that feels encouraged and empowered to do so. I’m very sorry you didn’t have the experience we try to cultivate. Once again, thank you for this feedback.

3. "Great for young adults"

Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Great benefits Fun environment Great pay Ability to move up Great overtime incentives

Cons

Shifts are not the best until you’ve been there a while. After a year or so you can get a more preferable shift but not easy to deal with when you have a family at home you never see because of their work/school schedule.

Wayfair2020-06-02
  4. "-"

Current Employee - LPS

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Great management, really cares about your well being. Good pay and benefits

Cons

Back to back calls can be really stressful. Have had to deal with really difficult angry customers.

Wayfair2020-06-03
  5. "LOVE Wayfair!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love Wayfair. They truly care about their employees, work at a fast pace, and value innovation and ideas. The growth is exciting and there are a lot of opportunities to learn.

Cons

Wayfair has grown so fast, sometimes it is hard to keep track of changes.

Wayfair2020-05-26
  6. "Land of opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Internal mobility, great team culture, downtown location

Cons

Performance review process that takes up way too much time.

Wayfair2020-05-23
  7. "Best Career Decision I’ve Made"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is an amazing company that encourages individuality. There are times when it’s going to get tough, but it is an amazing opportunity to be on the frontline of a growing company. I have the privilege of working with some of the most intelligent people every day, and am looking forward to a long career with the company.

Cons

It’s a rapidly growing organization, it will be hard at times... but it’s worth it!

Wayfair2020-05-22
  8. "Great job!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Wayfair part-time

Pros

Great environment Work from home

Cons

Low pay Hard phone calls Rude customers

Wayfair2020-05-20

"Decent company"

2.0
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are decent. Pay is good for an entry level position. In normal situations, it is an awesome place to work.

Cons

Pay is $2 higher for in office office workers than work from home or any other offices across the country. Right now, they are taking care of corporate and their warehouse workers more than they are helping their frontline sales and service agents. They are threatening that we can either work overtime or be forced to work mandatory overtime when there is no gap between calls. Their IVR when calling in only states that hold times are only 25 minutes when we are experiencing hold times of over an hour. There is currently no support for team leads or higher in management. They are holding everyone to stats that are currently unattainable. Team leads are unable to follow up with customers due to the high call volume and it is affecting stats and customer relationships.

Wayfair2020-05-23
  10. "Good for beginners"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on cutting edge technologies

Cons

Lack of technically strong managers

Wayfair2020-05-19