Wayfair Reviews | Glassdoor

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

1,125 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance was almost too good" (in 93 reviews)

• "Casual work culture; flexbility offered; people friendly; free snacks; fun events"" (in 119 reviews)

Cons
  • "While the work/life balance is very good, Wayfair only recognizes 6 holidays" (in 38 reviews)

• "Entry level compensation not the greatest" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Tremendous opportunity and growth potential"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is one of the few companies in the world at a significant scale (~$6.5B market cap) experiencing tremendous growth (~40% in Q3 2017). This creates a ton of opportunity for people who are smart and eager to grow.

We also have teams working on interesting and difficult problems across the business, including a large team that is focused on reimagining large parcel delivery. Wayfair has the chance to become the best in the world at shipping big, heavy, fragile products, and will completely change how people shop for furniture in the process.

It still feels like Wayfair is in the early stages of capturing the market opportunity in front of it, and it is extremely exciting to be a part of that.

The senior leadership at the company is very strong overall, and I have a high degree of confidence in the direction of all of our teams.

Cons

Base compensation is lower than some key competitors for talent, but all-in comp with bonus + equity is strong. We don't always communicate this very well, which hurts the business.

The rapid growth creates some painful situations. People changing managers 3+ times in 6 months, many folks reporting to first time managers, frequent re-orgs, etc. I don't mind this, and I've learned to roll with the punches, but if you are someone who hates change you will not be happy at Wayfair.

Broadly speaking, benefits are worse than places like Facebook/Google/HubSpot/etc. Wayfair is a frugal company, and you won't find free lunch or massages or daycare here. That said, this enables us to reinvest in the business and continue to grow, which over time will make your equity valuable enough to more than make up for the inferior benefits.

Advice to Management

Move bonus into base salary. Increase paternity leave and some other key benefits that people really care about.

Wayfair Response

Dec 28, 2017 – Engineering Director

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We're glad you think Wayfair offers meaningful challenges and opportunities for growth.

2. "Case Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company with incredible opportunity for growth. Amazing managers and fun atmosphere. Great benefits, paid vacation.

Cons

You may begin with a shift that includes evenings/weekends. It doesn’t not take to long to move to a better schedule

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk.

The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read.

They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy.

The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this.

Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment.

So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars.

Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever.
    Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness.
    A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear.

It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Wayfair Response

Nov 13, 2017 – Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the... More

4. "Exciting place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wayfair is teeming with smart and enthusiastic people who really want the company to succeed. There is a lot of opportunity to learn, grow, switch teams, try new things etc. It isn't perfect, but if you land a job at Wayfair, take it! It was an amazing place for me to start my career in marketing.

Cons

The culture is fun but also becoming a little too cut throat. You are essentially pitted against your coworkers during reviews, which can create a stressful and unpleasant work environment.

There is also a lot of pressure to work long hours. The people (and the beer taps and snacks) made the hours bearable (most of the time) but be ready to work your butt off if you get a job here.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees and be careful with the competitive environment you are creating. A little competition is great - but too much can make for very unhappy and unmotivated employees.

5. "Warehouse team lead"

Current Employee - WAREHOUSE TEAM LEAD in Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - WAREHOUSE TEAM LEAD in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, room for growth, benefits start right away, decent pay, employee night outs

Cons

Nothing really. No tuition reimbursement/assistance

6. "Great"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Its a great company, very young and growing extremely fast

Cons

It's growing so fast that your team will change almost monthly

7. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - QA Analyst
    Current Employee - QA Analyst

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Unlimited potential for career development. They hand you the tools and you are the deciding factor in your progression.
    2. Encouragement of ideas from all levels and departments in the company.
    3. Working for a smart company that is always innovating to be the best.
    4. Excellent corporate culture that encourages inclusiveness, community outreach, and being yourself.
    5. Excitement, the company/organisation structure/roles are always changing. People are never left behind when this happens.

Cons

1. Rigorous entry process. Recruitment is slow to respond.
    2. See below.

Advice to Management

Senior management increase the expectations of all managers. While some managers work diligently behind the scenes, the perception is that most managers are only socializing. This isn't helped by the fact that they only tend to socialize with each other. This isn't always the case, but from the perspective of someone who is taking back to back calls in queue, a group of managers discussing their weekend plans around their desk hardly seems productive or helpful. This builds a barrier between management and employees, and makes them seem unapproachable when needed. Senior managers can improve this by setting clear expectations that managers are there to support their own teams.

"Not the same"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, work from home option, benfits, incentives and great people who care.

Cons

This place is changing and growing so fast that we cannot keep up. Daily our emails are filled with changes that we cannot keep up. The call volume is insane an we are constantly back to back. People leaving and or getting canned for using all their time off because they need the emotional break. They need to hire more people. They were not prepared for this type of growth and its the call center employees taking the hit for it. Its bad... some of us are medicated to work. We love our company truly, but its not fair to us.... we are not machines. A year ago I would have rated 5 stars across the board. Not any more, too many changes and not in a positive way except to increase the owners revenue. I am so sad.. I love Wayfair.

Advice to Management

You need to move Tier 1 up faster to relieve us on the higher levels. Its too much. The fun and good pace and positive is gone. Most I know are hating their jobs and a year ago this was NOT the case. We WANT to keep our jobs, help us!!!!

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good company

Cons

It was an okay experience

"Relaxed Environment, but hardworking"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company does a really good job of getting entry level employees (like me) invested in the business' health and profitability. Data about daily/hourly/etc revenue is available to nearly everyone so you can see how the business is doing on a day-to-day basis. This helps put more meaning into your work and feel more invested in it
    - Office is great (good location near lots of food, snack walls everywhere around the office)
    - It has a good tech company culture. A little bit of the east coast vibe is built into it though. The dress code is relaxed, but they do expressly forbid things like basketball shorts, so not quite like working at a silicon valley tech company

- Lots of cross team communication. My team gets fairly regular presentations from other teams around the business (from pricing to marketing to supply chain to finance) about what they're working on and how they approach problems they have. These are really cool because you get to learn about and get exposure to areas of the business you otherwise wouldn't know anything about. It also helps keep you in tune with how the business is doing as a whole and what areas they're trying to grow

- It's fairly easy to move around from team to team in the company so you don't get bored working on the same thing for years at a time. If you like what you're doing they don't force you to move, but they also have a philosophy of 'people get bored working on things for too long, so we'd rather move them around within Wayfair than have them leave'. Does a really good job of keeping things fresh and exciting

- Monthly and quarterly team meetings with various levels of senior management provide really good opportunities to ask frank and tough questions (anonymously if you'd like) to senior management

Cons

- The onboarding process for people in BI can take a long time and be a bit unstructured. They make you take 6 weeks worth of "courses", a handful of which are incredibly helpful, but the majority of which are either a waste of time (going over very basic SQL when I'm almost sure everyone who gets hired into BI must know at least some SQL already) or poorly done. These also get spaced out over 6 weeks so you have to be really proactive in finding things to keep yourself busy in that time period even though they haven't taught you things you really need to know in order to do your job yet (like their internal data visualization tool which people use frequently but doesn't get taught to you until your 6th week)

- Hours are a bit longer than 40/wk. I think this varies by team a lot, but everybody on my team is working closer to 45-50 hrs/wk.

- They're hiring at such a crazy pace that I wonder how they could possibly navigate a macroeconomic downturn like a recession without having to lay off hundreds of people. The CEO is on the Boston Federal Reserve Board so he is obviously in tune with macroeconomic trends to some extent, but at the end of the day the company isn't profitable yet and if a recession comes the furniture business is going to be one of the first and hardest hit

Advice to Management

- Keep finding ways get people at all levels of the business invested in the success of the business

- Be more transparent about how Wayfair is working to ensure as much job security as possible in the event of a market downturn. The answer I've heard so far is "we're keeping an eye on the macroeconomy", which doesn't instill much confidence. Give us a concrete answer please.

Showing 1,125 of 1,201 reviews