Wayfair Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Another huge plus is the work life balance" (in 113 reviews)

• "Casual work culture; flexbility offered; people friendly; free snacks; fun events"" (in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast paced - sometimes work-life balance is not taken care of" (in 47 reviews)

• "Transparency from upper management needed some work" (in 47 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company I have worked for period!"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Personable leadership
    - Fun active culture
    - Growing company with many growth opportunities
    - Clean work environment
    - Free Coffee, Juice, and Snacks
    - Pay increases
    - Daily and weekly Coachings
    - Everyone contributes to the success of Wayfair.
    - Quarterly team building outings

Cons

None - This is by far the best company I have worked for.

"Challenging, fast-paced environment with smart, dedicated colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Wayfair for 1.5yrs and it's been equal parts exhilarating and fun. I've never been so challenged at work (in a good way!) - we're growing 40% YOY which means your job, team, and responsibilities are constantly evolving to flex to meet business need. For me, this has been a huge benefit - my career has grown faster than it would have at any other company and I've learned measurably more in the same time frame than I have at past roles. I'm constantly trying to figure out how to lead initiatives that I've never done before - it can be scary but I love the challenge. If you like learning, trying new things, making mistakes and learning from them, and pivoting all the time this is the best company to join bar none. It's also an exceptional team - the company works really hard to hire bright, kind, motivated people and it pays off. I love the people - cheesy but true!

We work really hard but work-life balance is generally very good- I have a young child and leave at 5pm to pick him up every day and can completely unplug on vacation. My days are often very full as a result and I sometimes have to finish projects up in off hours, but generally I feel decent balance between work and home life.

We also have lots of fun! The company pays for team outings every month - we've done trivia, games in the office, volunteering, dunner/drinks, etc. It's social enough without being a startup party-vibe.

Net- I love working here.

Cons

The compensation structure can be challenging for people who grow internally, because there are limits to how much of a raise you get when promoted. As a result, I'm paid less than folks at the same level who were hired externally. I do feel my comp is generally competitive but it's frustrating to know that I'd be paid more if hired from the outside than I was when promoted internally. For external hires the plus side is our comp is very strong - and the equity component is a massive benefit given how well the company is doing.

It is also a company where we always strive to do better. I love this, because I don't like getting comfortable and love new challenges - but it means as soon as you do good work we raise the bar even further. For people who struggle with pressure and high standards, it can be a draining environment as a result. People who are energized by increasing challenges and responsibility do very well here.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the compensation structure for internal promotions - our compensation philosophy should mesh with the fact that you must be performing at the next level to be promoted. Since we have that policy, we should pay newly promoted employees at the median of the level they move into.

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk.

The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read.

They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy.

The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this.

Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment.

So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars.

Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever.
    Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness.
    A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear.

It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Wayfair Response

Nov 13, 2017 – Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the... More

4. "Great Culture and Growth Opps!"

Current Employee - Talent in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Talent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Team culture is great, everyone is always willing to collab and work as a team
    -Wins are celebrated, hiring can be a tough job. Especially when it comes to relocating talent.
    -Career growth, both lateral and cross-functional

Cons

-some overall goals are not realistic, but that happens in every corporation setting, in a capitalist society. :)
    -some managers expectations are different than others, I wish there was more equal alignment on that. But it's not a huge deal
    -Base pay needs to be a little more competitive. Not everyone values equity the same. Yes it's great for long-term, etc. But some people need higher base salaries.

Advice to Management

Just remember you were once an IC, and sometimes the best way to show an employee beneath you is working besides them. (Not saying my direct manager does not, I've just heard things).

5. "Fast paced rapidly growing"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allows you the freedom to grow and learn

Cons

Pays below the industry standard

6. "Great place to work, growing pains still exist"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel very supported by senior leadership. They are always willing to go to bat for you and mentor team members.
    It is a place where people work hard on very interesting challenges and the small victories are definitely celebrated. I am surrounded by smart, passionate people who give it their all everyday.
    I can definitely see myself developing my career here.

Cons

With such rapid growth happening, things move very fast so at times the business is trying to keep up with the growth and things can fall through the cracks. While senior leadership is great, there are certain managers who have no experience and are not trained well.

7. "A Place for You to Make An Impact"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are an aspiring engineer, wishing to make a positive dent to the company or even the industry, this company is the right place for you. This organization highly encourages cross-functional collaboration, the hierarchy is low, the data is abundant and accessible. Every 6 months, there's an internal hackathon to make sure you have a stage to show off your cool project, in front of company's senior leadership. If you regard yourself as a self-starter and want to initiate and own your crazy project, come to work at Wayfair.

Cons

If there's free dinner, nap room and shower, I will probably live at the company.

8. "Quickly expand company - good start to your career"

Current Employee - BI Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - BI Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

opportunities are really good. be a good start of your career

Cons

not really organized cause everything is new

Advice to Management

be consistent across different teams' management style

"Great Place to Grow"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to learn, be challenged, and develop your career. There are endless opportunities to lead projects, learn from intelligent colleagues, and develop new skills, all in an exciting, very fast-paced environment. You feel supported by senior leadership who actually want to see you succeed and grow and will give you opportunities to lead and drive strategy for the business. Wayfair also has a fantastic company culture with great work/life balance. We work hard, but we have a lot of fun as well!

Cons

Leveling/titling at Wayfair is a little interesting and doesn't always seem to match with years of experience. Most people seem to come in at the same level, regardless of the prior years of experience they have, and they tend to down-level people quite frequently from where they were at previous companies. That being said, you're given the support and tools to build your career and move up the ladder pretty quickly.

"A great place to stay and grow"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is great for a number of reasons:
    1. People are given the opportunity to grow and take on challenges that they wouldn't have gotten at companies that aren't growing. I've had exposure and experiences that would've taken me 10 years to get at other companies.
    2. People are awarded and promoted for being an outstanding employee. The performance review process is very comprehensive and allowed me to understand exactly what I needed to accomplish to get promoted.
    3. Senior leadership invests a lot in workplace satisfaction. We have large quarterly company parties and monthly outings with our teams.
    4. Wayfair hires incredibly smart and compassionate individuals who help elevate teams across the company.
    5. Because of Wayfair's vibrant and active company culture, I've met several close friends at the company.

Cons

A lot of employees experiences working at Wayfair are dependent on the quality of their managers. I've had the fortune of having great managers throughout my time at Wayfair, but I know some others who weren't in such fortunate circumstances.

Advice to Management

Continue to take risks and listen to different perspectives.