Wayfair Reviews | Glassdoor

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes tough to maintain (in 36 reviews)

• Quite a bit of turnover at lower levels, lower compensation than other entry level analysts (in 43 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Talented team of engineers
    - Innovative company working on really cool projects
    - Supportive team that pushes you to grow and improve your skills
    - Company provides you with tons of resources and opportunity to learn at work and improve your knowledge
    - Growing company
    - Great work-life balance
    - located the heart of the city Back Bay

Cons

- Easy to get lost in the company at first, many floors tons of stairs

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk.

The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read.

They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy.

The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this.

Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment.

So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars.

Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever.
    Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness.
    A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear.

It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Nov 13, 2017 – Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the... More

"Tremendous opportunity and growth potential"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is one of the few companies in the world at a significant scale (~$6.5B market cap) experiencing tremendous growth (~40% in Q3 2017). This creates a ton of opportunity for people who are smart and eager to grow.

We also have teams working on interesting and difficult problems across the business, including a large team that is focused on reimagining large parcel delivery. Wayfair has the chance to become the best in the world at shipping big, heavy, fragile products, and will completely change how people shop for furniture in the process.

It still feels like Wayfair is in the early stages of capturing the market opportunity in front of it, and it is extremely exciting to be a part of that.

The senior leadership at the company is very strong overall, and I have a high degree of confidence in the direction of all of our teams.

Cons

Base compensation is lower than some key competitors for talent, but all-in comp with bonus + equity is strong. We don't always communicate this very well, which hurts the business.

The rapid growth creates some painful situations. People changing managers 3+ times in 6 months, many folks reporting to first time managers, frequent re-orgs, etc. I don't mind this, and I've learned to roll with the punches, but if you are someone who hates change you will not be happy at Wayfair.

Broadly speaking, benefits are worse than places like Facebook/Google/HubSpot/etc. Wayfair is a frugal company, and you won't find free lunch or massages or daycare here. That said, this enables us to reinvest in the business and continue to grow, which over time will make your equity valuable enough to more than make up for the inferior benefits.

Advice to Management

Move bonus into base salary. Increase paternity leave and some other key benefits that people really care about.

Dec 28, 2017 – Engineering Director

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We're glad you think Wayfair offers meaningful challenges and opportunities for growth.

"Senior Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, office is open and allows you to work together. Everyone is open to working together and winning as a group

Cons

Very fast growth, with so much growth always need to hire quickly. This is something they are working to scale up

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair employees love coming into work everyday. The company culture is positive, collaborative, and encouraging. Managers work closely with their direct reports and everyone's contributions are valued.

Cons

Limited opportunities for upward mobility.

"Culture Leads to Success"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is truly one of a kind. It's the type of place where you wake up and want to go to work every day.

Cons

Low salaries lead to somewhat high turnover

"I love Wayfair"

Current Employee - Manager in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast past environment that keeps you thinking all the time. Constantly evolving and improving processes.

Cons

The growth is so fast and intense, it's not a pace everybody can keep up with.

Advice to Management

When problem solving, always ask the group impacted by the issue how they would fix it.

8. "Photo Stylist"

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Great sense of employee community.

Cons

Conflicting feedback from management

"Great people, big impact"

Current Employee - Software in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wayfair has a big engineering department with tons of opportunity to tackle large, complicated problems and learn new things. The pace is fast and things are constantly changing which is really exciting. Technology is a priority and engineers are partners for the business in everything from the website to the supply chain and all the features and operations in between. You have the ability to speak up and make a difference in how things are done and over time work on any number of different things and take on larger and larger projects. There are lots of smart people around who care about their teams, their growth and making an impact for the company.

Cons

Because the company and the team are large, finding the right balance of information sharing and communication can be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep up the passion for building smart, fun teams and make sure we're pushing ourselves and the business to work on the most important stuff.

Jan 23, 2018 – Engineering Director

Thanks for your feedback. We're very excited about the work engineering is doing to solve tough challenges and make an impact for the company. There’s an exciting opportunity for our employees to do... More

"Design"

Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good name for your resume, people know it.
    Free flowing beer from the kitchen.

Cons

Low pay - cranking out the college students.
    Young inexperienced mgmt.
    They put employee discount as a benefit when in fact if you purchase anything from them you CAN NOT RETURN IT for a refund. They suggest you put it on craigslist and sell it. I guess that shows how much they value the products they promote.....worthy of classified ads!

Showing 963 of 1,024 reviews