eBay Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I got employee referral and was called for first technicaln phone scree round. Interview asked me questions from leetcode. was fairly simple but with a lot of cross questions for the solution i provided

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, but was simple data structres questions can be found on leet code.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Phone screen was straightforward. The person didn't offer feedback until I had a finished solution which in the end turned out to be incorrect due to some missing cases.

SDR2 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA).

Interview

tech phone interview, then the next day was told to schedule an on-site interview for following week. on-site interview has 5 rounds. Most questions are coding, db, sql and java knowledge.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Applied through a friend, hiring manager reached out soon to do a phone interview. After that was sent a take home case study, was given 24 hours to analyze some data then making one or two sliders to summarize the analysis. was invited on-site after the case, met 5 people, 4 in the analytics team one partner. Questions include sql, case studies, and regular behavioral questions. Overall experience very positive.

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I started with an interview request from one of the team. It was a skype interview and asked to code on collabedit. It went on well, there were many instances where the interviewer went on to say very nice. Overall nothing very difficult.

I had an offer from a different company and i had asked the recruiter to update me the status as soon as possible. The recruiter said he would tell me very soon. Never managed to get a feedback. I felt utter waste of my time. I could have invested my time elsewhere.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Process took one week. The interview was not to hard, very doable if you can think under pressure. They were very friendly and willing to help if stuck. Overall a good interview.

Interview Questions

• common data structure questions as well as behavioral. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I had to face 2 initial telephone screens, one by the hiring manager and the other by two team members, asking about current job experiences, few technical NLP questions (just intuitive explanations). Finally, they called me onsite.

Interview Questions

• Onsite interview consisted of one hour research presentation and six technical interviews comprising of questions related to Machine Learning as well as coding. For coding please refer Leetcode. Most of the problems were easy. 2 Easy level and 2 Medium level problems from Leetcode. Machine learning questions were specific to the role and also in general the most common techniques like PCA, SVM, Backpropagation, Hidden Markov Models, Viterbi Algorithm, etc.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay in November 2016.

Interview

Got an interview at the campus recruiting event. Passed the interview. Then talked to the HR on a phone call. Then passed a skype interview with a product manager, and finally failed at the second Skype interview with a senior product manager. No behaviorals, surprisingly. The first Skype interview asked about resume and basic pm questions. The second Skype interview was intense on PM questions, like what do you think of this eBay product, why was it designed that way, how would you improve it. Also got asked if I know any machine learning algorithm.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (Austin, TX).

Interview

Standard phone screening. In person interview involved a tour of the site and a short test listening to a sample phone call. Next was a one on one with a team lead. They basically read STAR type questions off a sheet of paper and wrote down your answers. Very impersonal

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at eBay (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and the recruiter called me two times to fill out a questionnaire. All questions must be filled in detail or you will not be considered.

She did not call me at the agreed time so I waited 15 minutes and emailed her. She was confused and miss-booked me. She went over the form and transferred me to another recruiter. I was then asked to speak with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager had a scheduling conflict so they pushed my call. He called very late and went over my resume. A day later I was told to come and interview with the GCX team.

The day of the interview I drove to ebay and the hiring manager texted me saying he said he is not ready, recruiting set up an incorrect time and I was not allowed to show up before 11:15. I went back 2 hours later and the hiring manager said recruiting is ignorant.

The hiring manager was late and took me to a conference room where I interviewed with other managers for 2.5 hours and was video recorded which was awkward. The first manager had coughing fits and another manager spoke about golf and his kids. They wanted me to demonstrate my ebay obsession, diversity, and shared dislike of Amazon.

They spoke about the large drop in business and growth difficulties which is why original person left because there was no future career there. They want to expand but do not have enough assets and many markets are stagnant. The don't see profitability and future for regions outside of NA.

A few days later I received an email from the recruiter that got my gender wrong. He said he doesn't know what is the next steps are but I need to refill another application, work & salary history, provide my ebay account and personal information. I didn't hear for 3 weeks and received another email to come onsite and interview with the CFO. Again, I had to push my interview out another 2 hours.

The CFO was late, no surprise. The conference room was double booked so we went to a very tiny phone room. It was the strangest and most unprofessional interview because there were no interview questions and he said he never looked at my resume. He wanted to know about how I felt about President Trump and his policies, if I was a Republican or Democrat. He spoke about his vacations around the world. He said he didn't even want to work at ebay but they offered him a lot of money and a director role but always wanted to stay in Big 4 accounting.

The CFO kept yawning and his speech was slurred and eyes bloodshot. He checked his phone every few minutes, texted other people, and looked at emails when I spoke. Other strange topics he covered were how many Muslims are in Switzerland and avoids those cities. He said his GCX subordinates cannot be promoted unless they take positions in San Jose, and even criticized ebay saying the future is questionable and he might not stay. 30 minutes went by and he asked where his team was. I told him I was only interviewing with him and he didn't believe me. He texted the hiring manager and said we still need to fill 15 more minutes and asked where was the craziest place I have been, where my spouse works, and other intrusive personal questions.

At the end he took me out and wandered around to find the hiring manager because he was confused about the schedule. He walked me out saying he doesn't know what the next steps are and almost tripped on the way to the lobby. Luckily the next day I accepted an offer from my first choice but I wanted to see what was going on with ebay.

Recruiting contacted me a few days later and said they don't know what the direction is and I should "be patient" and they will "find more details in 24-48 hours". A week later and I got an email saying the hiring manager had hired their finalist days ago.

Interview Questions

• What do you love about ebay?
      What have you bought/sold on ebay?
      How diverse are you really?
      When did diversity not work out for you?
      Do you like Amazon and how do you compare them against ebay?
      What are you salary expectations for this role?
      What previous skills do you have that would make you successful at this job?
      Do you like golfing and what are your favorite sports?
      Answer Question