eBay Interview Questions | Glassdoor

eBay Interview Questions

Updated Dec 5, 2017

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

The interview process was shorter than expected, I had an face-to-face interview which included some behavioral questions, a few high-level technical questions, and a coding question. The people at eBay framed it more as a conversation than an interview, which helped ease some of the tension.

Interview Questions

• What considerations do you make when designing an interface?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at eBay (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2017.

Interview

Video interview, skills test, and personality test. I had never done a video interview and it was odd because there was not person you were looking at yourself and answering automated questions. But I did good because I went on to the next level which was the testing which I bombed due to using a computer at the library.

Interview Questions

• What did I consider to be my weakness and give an example.   Answer Question

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Two phone screens with recruiters. Both went well. They flew me across the country for an on site interview that lasted about 6 hours. I met with as many senior level architects. Never heard from them after the on site interview, which I thought was pretty rude. I spent the entire day before traveling to Ebay, stayed over night, and then all day on site and then flew home. It was a long 48 hours but I enjoyed the discussions with the smart people on the team. No follow-up is bad form, especially when you spend that much time getting to the interview and then on site.

Interview Questions

• Standard architect questions. How would you solve this type of problem? Have you worked in this space before? How do you manage conflict and changing resources   1 Answer

Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Nothing fancy... just your work exp. The people are smart. My observation that the person who is more experienced with ebay tends to veer into immediate problem solving in his area. They are good but are too much deep into their areas. which I can't say is good or bad...

Interview Questions

• The interviewers are knowledgable in the area they are working in... sometimes they get very focussed into an area which is ebay specific and not general... this creates difficulty for people who are not familiar to the ebay eco system...   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Straightforward. one telephonic followed by an on site. Telephonic comprised of a few theoretical questions and one coding exercise. On site had 5 rounds of 45 minutes each along with a lunch interview.

MTS-3 Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

1) 30 min sourcer screen
    2) assuming there's a mutual match of what you're looking for and eBay's looking for, sourcer connects you with multiple groups/positions each having their own recruiter / hiring coordinator
    3) respective group hiring coordinator will setup a 45 min phone screen with hiring mgr or another decision making leadership team member
    4) assuming you clear that, on-site interview of about 3-5 hr (with lunch, if >4 hr)

steps 3-4 are separate for each group i.e. you may not be pursued by one group after step 3, but a different group may move forward with you on step 3-4 in their own cycle

5) if you clear that, next steps towards making offer may be initiated

anytime you didn't qualify in any of above steps, you'll see an email from "work-a-day" software that eBay uses to communicate with you that interview cycle with that group stopped... you won't see an email from a sourcer/recruiter.

If you see an email from sourcer/recruiter - chances are: that's about moving to next step

Interview Questions

• linked list questions, Java API design, OO principles such as SOLID, Lambda concepts, Java vs. Kotlin, some Micro services architecture questions etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at eBay (New York, NY).

Interview

Things moved very quickly. Questions are a combo of high level architecture/design & algorithms. Overall nothing leetcode hard/brainteasers. The onsite includes coding up a project and presenting it to the team.

Interview Questions

• Build a project (BE & FE) to crawl 3 search engines & aggregate results.   Answer Question

Head of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

1. HR found me on LinkedIn.
    2. We went through informal vetting process, and then I applied online for the position we discussed.
    3. I went through a teleconference with the hiring team.
    4. I was invited onsite for a day full of different interviews with cross-functional teams.
    5. Within a week I was provided the final decision & feedback.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose the questions for obvious reasons. But I can definitely say that like any other big & established organizations leadership, eBay panelists knew that they were interviewing "a personality", and hence the panel did NOT necessarily focus or drilled on 1 specific area in technology or behavioral skills ... and instead covered multiple dimensions from an overall perspective.

It was a very well balanced interview, with a very mature & respectful panel.

Based on the HR feedback, I did not receive an offer primarily because my lack of experience on the Data side of things ... and given another chance I would really like to re-apply for leadership position at eBay.   Answer Question

Integrated Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at eBay in September 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter within eBay. I had two screening calls with her and it seemed to be that I was well qualified for the role. I filled out some documentation and had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview ( my third) went very well from my side. The kind of work I'm doing was exactly what this role would be doing according to the hiring manager (her words, not mine). She wrapped up saying the internal recruiter would be getting back to me that week with next steps. Overall it was a very positive call (in my opinion). I sent a thank you email that day. I waited a week and radio silence, followed up with the internal recruiter and they said they would follow up and get back to me. Another week went by and I sent another email - no response. I waited a week and a half and sent another note - nothing. I can safely say that I have been "ghosted" by eBay. Its a shame companies act that way.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at eBay (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2017.

Interview

Very comfortable atmosphere and appropriate questions. They were very accommodating. Great atmosphere and young, hip workforce. I would have loved this job! Sadly, I was not offered the job at this time.

Interview Questions

• To describe a situation where I was the customer and what I would have changed about how I was treated.   1 Answer