KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2021

Found 492 of over 552 reviews

4.0
Auto-Owners Insurance Chairman and CEO Jeffrey S. Tagsold (no image)
Jeffrey S. Tagsold
Pros
  • "Christmas bonus, profit sharing, stable(in 43 reviews)

• "Great Benefits and super friendly atmosphere(in 42 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Also honesty is a core value, but you don’t really get a lot of it from upper management - things are extremely hush hush(in 18 reviews)

• "Low pay, customer-facing role, all positions insurance based - no business positions(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Race Ethnicity

This rating reflects the overall rating of Auto-Owners Insurance and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Fantastic Company

Jun 14, 2021 - Senior Home Office Underwriter in Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people - Decent wages with profit sharing and Christmas bonuses. - Good Benefits - New work from home flexibility

Cons

- Very little transparency with promotions and pay raises.

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We appreciate hearing what you love about Auto-Owners.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good changes to culture in recent months

Jul 3, 2021 - Software Developer in Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Just introduced new Work From Home program. Some positions are able to work from more than others, but it is a good start seeing as how this company had never had Work From Home as an option pre-covid. Culture is becoming more relaxed than it used to be. A more casual approach to attire is an example of this. This is due to a high turnover rate at the intern/entry-level of the company, and senior management is recognizing that changes need to be made.

Cons

Doesn't follow the core value of career opportunities for associates as rigorously as they would like you to believe. If they are going to have that as a core value of the company, it should be a priority to make that a reality for their associates. Unfortunately, I feel like there is a lot of talk and very little action surrounding this.

Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We are proud of the way we have adapted our culture and look forward to our continued progress.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Excellent company to work for!

Jul 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great hours, nice people, excellent perks (i.e. insurance/bonus program/PTO), and still working from home!

Cons

They introduced a new WFH program that "some employees are eligible for" but not all. COVID is still rampant in the US and forcing employees to go back into the office is not a good look. Many people are still considered high risk, so it should be optional.

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Work

Jul 15, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, very friendly and supportive atmosphere.

Cons

You may not get the EXACT position you want at first.

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are so glad to hear you are enjoying our supportive culture.

5. 4.0

Underwriting processor

Jul 11, 2021 - Services Technician in Duluth, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, easy work. Family environment.

Cons

Lower pay, training not the best.

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We value our company culture and supportive environment.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Jul 8, 2021 - Auto Owners Insurance in Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits Decent pay Flexible Good people

Cons

Sometimes don’t have much to do

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We're proud to have been certified as a Great Place to Work.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Solid Career Path - Dated Corporate Environment

May 9, 2021 - Senior Claims Examiner in Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great, hard working employees. Most of the management appears to care for their employees. There are always a lot of leadership opportunities. Solid 40-hour work week.

Cons

Salaries are far below industry standard and raises are laughable. You work here because you aren’t expected to work beyond 40 hours a week. Work/life balance is good. Their work from home program is also a joke. They don’t listen to their employees or appear to ever take into account what will actually retain young people or talent.

2 people found this review helpful

Associate Development

Thank you for taking the time to share your review; we appreciate your thorough feedback. We are sorry to hear about the negative parts of your experience and would like to learn more. Please feel free to reach out to us at conversation@aoins.com and tell us more about your concerns.

8. 5.0

Environment

Jun 30, 2021 - Manager in Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family environment, working with great, knowledgeable people.

Cons

Very conservative, but not always to fault.

Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We value the family feel of our company's culture.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Commercial Underwriting

Jun 24, 2021 - Underwriter in Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance Stability Nice campus

Cons

Underwriting there was retyping the screen with minimal authority to actually act, adjust and implement underwriting practices.

Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback! Stability and Consistency is one of our core values.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent only for initial industry experience

Feb 18, 2021 - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Duluth, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Vanguard retirement plan. 7.5 hour work days.

Cons

"Culture", management, work environment, structure as a company. Get your experience and leave. Unless if you have a family member who is already an employee of the company, they'll mistreat you unless you don't have the potential to do better with your career. Minimal flexibility, if there's a snow day and a government warning not to be on the road, A-O will neglect it and demand you come in the office or use vacation/PTO. Speaking of time off, if you get sick or take vacation, they're mad at you because they'll assume you're looking elsewhere for employment No flexibility with time. Strict 1 hour maximum daily break and you must be punctual every day. You'll get in trouble for arriving a minute late and that's not even a joke, but a sad reality. Most of Management is corrupt and clueless when it comes to knowledge of their products and understanding of the work they receive, so they'll brush it off as if you're the problem. Can't state your honest opinions that differ from theirs or else they'll forever be a grudge held against you My review is on the polite end of the spectrum. Don't stay long or you'll end up as a miserable work horse. It's not a pleasant sight to see.

3 people found this review helpful

Associate Development

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience as we do not find this to be typical of Auto-Owners. We would like to know more about these concerns. Please feel free to email us at conversation@aoins.com and tell us more about this.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 492 Reviews