Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Jeffrey S. Tagsold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 5 hours per week, defined benefits pension plan, profit sharing and Christmas bonuses (in 30 reviews)

• Profit sharing, Christmas bonus, promotion from with in (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • It's easy to stagnate if you don't catch the eye of upper management (in 13 reviews)

• Salary is around 10% lower than the industry average (in 10 reviews)

1. "A positive experience with room to rise."

Current Employee - Branch Claims Representative in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Claims Representative in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, generous bonus and benefit structure, and freedom from micromanagement

Cons

High workload requires occasionally working over 40 hours. Also, work piles up when you are gone so long vacations are generally impossible.

Advice to Management

Do all you can to retain top talent - salaries should be negotiable.

2. "Information Technology"

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time

Pros

Pleasant working conditions: nice cubicles, charges, large windows, cafeteria & coffee shop

Cons

Very high expectations, stressful, poor job training

Advice to Management

Provide better IT training

"Is it still 1916?"

Former Employee - Support in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Support in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you catch the eye of an executive, you may do well. If you are young and attractive (don't have to know a thing), they'll love you and promote you. I had a supervisor at on e point who was dumber than a box or rocks.

Cons

This company was founded in 1916 and it’s still operated as if it’s 1916. Management micro-manages you and put more work on you than you can accomplish in a normal work week, especially the claims branch. They have unit specialists doing the job of a claim rep, with no compensation and no title raise. They operate as if there are no laws to protect the employees….oh wait a minute, there aren’t protections. It’s Michigan and they are an at-will employer. So be careful, if you can’t keep up with the amount of work, they’ll make your life a living hell until you can’t take it anymore and quit. They don’t treat the elderly and older employees very well, they really don’t want you to retire there, they want you out so they can hire some young 18 year old that will start making $25,000 a year. Yes, they really do pay that in 2018, no lie.
    They famously hire outside the company and don’t give employees opportunities who have paid their dues and put in their time. They don’t appreciate what you do and make sure that you know that the bonuses are not guaranteed. But how much does the CEO make? Rarely are you appreciated for what you do, even when you go above and beyond and stay late working without getting compensated for it. They promise you will go far if you do that, but only if you have your head up the VP’s hind end, and he likes it.

Advice to Management

Update the culture, post openings so the employees aren’t stuck in a department with incompetent managers. I worked there well over 8 years and was stuck for 4 year working for an unprofessional and mentally ill supervisor that liked to stir up drama and was blatant in favoritism. There were days I would just think, where’s the hidden camera? Is this an episode of the office? Management is an absolute joke! The Core Values are an absolute joke. Please, please treat your employees better.

"Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Branch Clerk
    Former Employee - Branch Clerk

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Christmas bonus, stable employment (have never had layoffs, even during the Great Depression)

Cons

It's easy to stagnate if you don't catch the eye of upper management. Very strict on some inconsequential things, but will tolerate flagrant abuses of those same rules by company favorites.

Advice to Management

Start posting internal job openings. Stop favoring baby boomer culture when they'll all be retiring soon.

5. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Intern in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really aims to help you grow and learn. In my time, I learned a ton and was able to do really well.

Cons

There are people that will drag you down if you get involved in their drama.

Advice to Management

Show hard working employees that their hard work is appreciated compared to people who don't do so much work.

"Mundane and dull work environment"

Pros

Co-workers were extremely friendly. The people I worked with are the only reason I give this two stars.

Cons

Like most of the reviews on here, management plays favorites and offers almost no room for advancement. The pay is average at best and you only get a (less than $1k a year) raise if someone quits. The turnover is ridiculous. They micromanage you and offer almost know interest in quality over quantity. As an insurance company, you never see or visit agents and it is strictly a paper pushing job. My mental health was deteriorating over the two years I worked there because all I did was sit in a cube with all management's eyes watching over us like hawks. No positive feedback, even if you do 100 things right they will ONLY tell you what you do wrong. I can't advise enough to NOT work for this company if you have any real sense of self-worth. Plenty of other companies in the insurance industry offer more rewarding experience. The job is easy and offers zero reward.

Advice to Management

Do not micromanage. Care about your employees. Allow us the opportunity to visit agents. Focus more on constructive criticism rather than berating.

7. "Commercial Underwriter"

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Draper, UT

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to begin working in insurance. Great benefits and bonuses. Management gets it. Management cares about employees.

Cons

Heavy workload. Keeps you busy non stop. Continuously working to try to keep up with workload. Some employees catch up on work at home after hours.

Advice to Management

Hire more associates to keep up with the required workload. Overall a great company, but you could do more for your associates.

"Software Developer"

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time

Pros

The company truly cares about the employees and their insureds, pleasant and friendly work environment, helpful coworkers, 37.5 hours per week, defined benefits pension plan, profit sharing and Christmas bonuses. Overall a very low stress almost Pleasantville type place to work.

Cons

You will be underpaid no matter what you do, low expectations leads to a culture of mediocrity and "Eh whatever." If you really care about your work you may find yourself saying "I can work my butt off and get a 4% raise or I can semi-loaf and get a 4% raise."

"Excellent Starter Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will train you for your job, with little/none pre-req knowledge. People are the friendliest you ever will work with. 37.5 hour work week. 1 hr lunch. Willing to teach and train, along with giving other opportunities in the company to avoid burnout/increase personal knowledge.

Cons

Lower pay than industry. Company cares more about being at your desk than the quality of work, though individual teams may differ slightly. Strict dress code

Advice to Management

Employees need remote opportunity to assist w/work/home balance. Do not focus on time at your desk, but quality of work produced. Loosen dress code slightly- most employees will not see customers.

"Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjustr
    Former Employee - Claims Adjustr

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pension, health care is generous

Cons

Low Salary, poor upper and middle management, they don't promote you unless you are in the "inner circle" (same people get promoted to eachother's positions like its a carousel). Now I hear they expect you to work overtime and weekends without compensation, so say goodbye to the 37.5 hour work week. They pay $10k less than the market, and their excuse is because you have a pension. Math doesn't add up when you calculate how much money you are losing in salary in hopes of getting a pension when you retire, which may not even be available. I used to LOVE working for them, but enough was enough and they start penny pinching salaries and treating employees like dirt, like a North Korean sweat shop. It's a shame really, they had so much potential to be a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better, give more promotions (a little money goes a long way toward peoples happiness). Hire more people!! Although you will need to fix the other problems if you want people to want to work for you. Even people in home office don't want to work for you guys, but feel "stuck" and can't leave.