Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey F. Harrold

Pros
  • Low Stress, Profit Sharing and Christmas Bonus, 37 (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, close knit departments, pension and profit sharing (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not trust associates to do their jobs and constantly micromanages (in 11 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are 10-20% less than the industry average (in 9 reviews)

1. "Personal Lines Underwriter"

Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Friendly and non-stressful working environment
    -Flexible work schedule
    -Manageable work load
    -Good employees are recognized
    -37.5 hour work weeks
    -Direct management is easy to work with

Cons

-Salary is well below the industry standard
    -Limited job opportunities to advance your career
    -Occasional forced overtime without pay
    -Takes a long time to hire new employees causing areas to be short staffed for long periods of time

Advice to Management

Pay more to compete with other insurance companies in Charlotte,NC.

2. "Think hard before you say yes to the job offer"

Former Employee - Full Time Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Full Time Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good bonuses. Holidays off.

Cons

In training, it’s sink or swim, no good training. When the company changed from Microsoft Word to 2007, my administrator suggested I go to LCC to take a class (not paid for by the company). The change halted productivity like you couldn’t believe in a place where the whip gets cracked on your back. There is nothing relaxing about working there, employees are constantly micro-managed, and manipulated by managers (usually to tattle on each other about mistakes that co-workers make and encourage you to keep track). Better never turn your back on your co-workers, it is cut-throat. If you are good-looking and attract someone of the opposite sex, then you will move up and they LOVE the younguns, in their 20’s that can wooh the agency owners into selling more of their products (and by offering free trips to Europe - all expenses paid).

My experience also was managers not trusting and treat employees like they’re thieves. I had an administrator put her ear up to wall to hear conversations (I caught her), and jumping on computer to see what you’ve been doing (if you leave without locking your computer). They also walk up and down the aisle to see who is working and who isn’t. If it just so happens that you are reaching into your purse for a piece of gum, you get tattled on. It’s a very restrictive environment, I had a VP once count how many times I filled up my water and made a comment that it will make me have to make trips to the bathroom. Yes, they literally counted your trips to the bathroom. I am not telling stories, these things actually happened to me I left paranoid and traumatized and has since affected my health. It gives a new meaning to the word big brother.

I saw a recent advertisement that Auto-Owners was elected the best place to work, so what company voted that? The surveys they send out does not include every employee, only a select few (had I that confirmed by someone in a high position). They select “certain people” to fill them surveys and they are by no means random or confidential. They have so-called lotteries where certain people may be able to have a chance to win a trip to Hawaii or Portugal. What everyone does not know is that they pick a certain “group” of people to be put in the lottery to win the trip (not everyone) and people from the mail room or the warehouse haven't ever won a trip.

Also any woman walking into that place that doesn't strap on her manhood every morning better find a man in a position of authority to “protect” her. I had no such protection and one person in a higher position stirred his male and female friends against me and they bullied me intensely for 3 years (all because I had proof in an email that he lied - he accused me of not doing my work - but is was him not doing his work). The harassment let up some for a while until one of the friends would move positions closer to my cubicle and it would start all over again. One if his female friends came after me physically more than once, while not touching me but trying to intimidate me with her facial expressions (this happened every time I ran into her (if looks could kill I would have been dead). At the time I was having anxiety, due to this situation causing me great turmoil, and was too afraid to say anything (they also have their own legal team). It was like working for the mob. You better not complain, or cause waves or forget about being promoted (I was warned about that). My bully (whose significant other showed up in public walking by me looking me up and down like a gross person), was promoted to manager and his cohorts were too. They spread malicious gossip about me to all of their friends (I could tell when a new friends moved into their dept, that person was nice to me when they first got there, then after a few weeks they would stare at me just like the others, like I was a freak).

What does this company do for public relations to keep the Michigan government from becoming hostile towards the insurance companies? They funded a whole wing of Sparrow Hospital (not a bad thing to do but everyday people have been working in a stagnant economy and instead of passing savings onto the policyholders, they try to manipulate the government. They tout how many jobs they create and how many are hired in each day, that’s because of the revolving door in the back. Once you get old,sick,ugly or if someone just plain ‘ole doesn’t like you, and (this is what they consider “useless”) they will make it so miserable that you will run out crying (seen it happen). If you get sick you better sign up for FLMA, if you don’t and you have more than 4 sick days a year, it will affect your raise and review.

Advice to Management

This company is in serious need of a union and I am not in favor of unions. Michigan becoming an “at-will” employment state does nothing to protect the workers against fraudulent claims of not measuring up. I am not pro-protecting lazy workers either, those people are the ones that have it in with the bosses. Overall, this work experience has inspired me to personally work hard at insurance reforms. I plan to petition and do whatever is necessary to get the highest-cost-in-the-nation Michigan auto-insurance reduced so everyday people can afford it. I’m sure this review won’t be out there long, they will get some of their employees to report it so it will be taken off.

"Commercial Lines Underwriter"

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, low stress, traditional, stable. Easy to work for auto owners especially if you like to go to work and go home. No take home necessary.

Cons

Auto-Owners is very traditional and can be slow to adapt to change. They do not fire people very often and after you have been there for a little while people begin to slow down efficiency.

Advice to Management

Be more clear and direct to address problems. Address them with individuals instead of groups. People don't always realize they are doing things if you don't address them directly.

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

37.5 hr work week, Job security if you do your job, Opportunities to move within the company, Excellent benifits, Pension, Company as a whole strives to do the right thing

Cons

Each area is different, some managers feed off drama and a political atmosphere so their departments are difficult to work in. Like any company, the individual managers can make or break an experience.

Advice to Management

Weed out the bad managers...demote them, don't promote them. Reward your hardworking associates, don't hold them back because they are "too valuable".

"Mediocre at best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Beaver Bay, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Beaver Bay, MN

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, pension, not challenging, no ties, decent benefits, opportunities to move if you're up for it. Excellent claims handling. Nothing else.

Cons

Pay is way below the national average, not willing to change, absolutely the worst management I've ever encountered, HR is worthless, expect stronger performers to "pick up the slack" of lazier employees, instead of managing, fearful of strong personalities, haven't seen core value number one exercised at all by management, poorest communication in the industry. Outdated systems, evaluations and pay increases, lots of finger pointing and back stabbing.

Advice to Management

Recognize where good employees will make your company better, and make the move. You will never retain the best talent if you continue to ignore this. Take more interest in ALL of your employees. Recognize that change is good.

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Great benefits. Pay attention to the retirement package before you get upset about the salary.

Cons

Low salary compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Think twice before leaving!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some excellent benefits that other jobs just can't match.
    *A pension, worth essentially 1.5% of your salary each year
    *Money to cover healthcare premiums (at other jobs, they take 3,000+ dollars from your salary to cover healthcare)
    2 legitimate bonuses - one that's 1% of your salary after you've been with the company for every year you've been with the company, at 10 years and up, it is capped at 10%. The other bonus is based on profitability, and can be worth thousands. I had another company offer me a holiday bonus that was $25. Not at all comparable.
    *Although AO does not offer tuition reimbursement, they offer free insurance classes leading to completion bonuses or even free trips.
    *Performance based annual salary adjustments.

Cons

The schedule may be less flexible than other places, but I understand since I left in 2013, you have greater flexibility.
    The 401k used to not offer investment options, but now it does.
    Men used to have to wear tires, but this is no longer the case.
    Some co-workers may be difficult, but you will find that anywhere.
    Salary may seem low, but the cost of living in Lansing is also low. From experience, I can say that the wages, especially when you factor in the benefits, are comparable to the industry. I now make less than when I left, and it has been 3 years.
    Lansing is not a buzzing metropolis, but I understand that at least some IT jobs are now also offered in Grand Rapids.

Advice to Management

One company I worked for sent a letter to employees outlining the monetary value of benefits. Ex. The company contributed $x in benefits per employee. It might help employees see that AO benefits are way better than the industry.

"Company changing for the worse. You are only a number here."

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Cape Coral, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Cape Coral, FL

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension, 37.5 hour work week, Christmas bonus, profit sharing. Some decent coworkers. Centrally located. Workload was reasonable for a long time, until they stopped staffing the office properly.

Cons

Promote people who simply are willing to move, NOT on their experience, knowledge or credentials. Good ole boys club. Managers are awkward, and are there just to fulfill a brief title requirement as they move up in the company/fast track. Managers have a severe distrust of all employees, and treat them like criminals. Company is very thrifty/cheap in all aspects from corporate travel, to every day office products or expenses. Lowest paying company in the industry. Antiquated company, always at least 5-8 years behind the curve.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, ask questions. Stop burying your head in the sand.

"Claims"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and decent benefits

Cons

difficult to move around, opportunities are controlled by your direct managers and openings are not available to all employees, only management

"Great place if you never want to have new ideas"

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses & job security, some really great people

Cons

Innovators are rewarding with watching the people who always say "Yes" get promoted