Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 87 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 227 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 150 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

-New leadership in the office has has had an impact, as it has become a much more stable, supportive and positive environment. Definitely making an effort to employees and trying out new things for office morale.
    -Provides opportunities and options to explore different realms - whether its creative, paid, digital or planning.
    -Opportunities to work on a high-profile accounts.
    -Compensation is catching up with the rest of the industry.
    -If you're willing to put in the time and the work, you will be rewarded and provided more responsibility.

Cons

-As with any agency, client demands can be challenging and lead to long work hours and unrealistic asks.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees and making sure to put their needs in line with client needs.

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

It's so great to hear you've experienced improvement in culture and morale in Portland. It's a great office filled with wicked smart people and I'm happy we've been able to successfully listen and... More

"I am not the exception-there is a lot of GOOD"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Edelman for more than five years and it's upsetting to see so many people on here bashing the company and saying that anyone who might write something positive is lying-I hope more people who have positive things get on here and write about their experiences. I have a manager who leads me and encourages me to share ideas or challenge the current way of doing things. I work in an office where there is a lot of good happening and I know I'm not alone.
    It's easy to get on here anonymously and bash and be critical-if you hate it so much LEAVE! YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. I appreciate working for a company that gives me generous time off, has a number of different employee welfare and culture benefits, pays me fairly and gives me the runway to grow. I also think as a company what we have done around supporting the people needing help in Houston as well as our response after Charlottesville is important and reflects my personal values and makes me proud to work at Edelman.

Cons

I think that we don't do a good job of showing our best work-as some reviewers have said it's "just a PR shop"-also PR isn't a bad word it's our heritage! There are over 600 creative people who work at Edelman globally and there is a lot of great work happening but if we aren't seeing it internally and able to talk about it then how is the outside world going to know. I do think our most senior leaders need to be more visible and have open dialogue with employees about things they have been challenged on in employee surveys or some of the things that some people have chosen to spray all over Glassdoor instead of trying to work with their leadership teams and HR.

Advice to Management

Be more visible and open with your communications. Show the work-it inspires!

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

Your review was wonderful to read. Thank you for sharing your positive experiences and I hope they'll continue for many years to come! Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director, US HR

"A great place to be comfortable doing uninspiring work"

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, chill vibe compared to most ad agencies, decent company benefits

Cons

No matter what they tell you, this is still a PR shop, and work suffers because of that. Clients won't let you out of that PR "lane" because they already have other creative agencies, and as such, you spend a lot of time putting together decks for lackluster ideas that probably won't get produced. The creative department is also EXCEPTIONALLY top-heavy (everyone's a VP), meaning opportunities for growth are few and far between.

This is not a place to build up your book, it's a place to build a comfortable living and start a family, which can really hurt creatives who are looking for more in their career.

Advice to Management

Be advocates for creatives, push back on clients, and be honest when recruiting creatives about what Edelman is, and the timeframe (10 years) for where it (might, possibly, but probably not) will go.

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We strive to make Edelman a great place to work. More than three years ago we embarked on a massive transformation to meet our clients’ changing... More

"Look out for false posts!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good, standard benefits.
    Great creative and digital teams

Cons

I would be aware of any glowing, positive posts. The office is going through a tumultuous time with high turnover. Morale continues to be low and the leadership is either blind to it or are just opting to ignore it.

Expensive to use their services such as creative, video production team and so on.

Advice to Management

You should probably read these reviews more often.

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. I'm pleased to share that we're already following your advice to read these reviews more often by reading yours and responding in kind. :) Our leadership team, HR leaders and... More

"Needs improvement"

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent Creative Directors
    Nice open office with great views
    Good location

Cons

This is a PR agency that wants to be full service but lots of things at the current moment prevent this:

Poor communications between internal departments. There are a lot of disconnects between what's been bought and what creative is supposed to do. Together the earned, paid, media team, project management team, account service team, and creative never know what is happening.

Low budgets = low quality. The budgets promised to the client are too low to do high quality work.

Dishonest when hiring. The creative recruitment team will promise you things to get you in the door. Then they don't happen. When you try to talk with them after you are hired they are MIA. There is no one else there HR?? to help deliver on these promises.

Advice to Management

Create a better internal structure for communication.

Increase budgets and production for better quality.

Hire better internal creative recruiters that are accountable for their word.

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's true that a large evolution from traditional PR to communications marketing is a big deal - and something that comes with a lot of excitement, innovation and a sense of... More

"Collaborative and creative place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart and creative people. Welcoming and supportive environment.

Cons

Open floor plan may be less ideal for some.

"Good not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing resources that are always available to you. Pride in working for a company that is a leader in the industry. The variety and types of clients Edelman has can't be beat.

Cons

It's extremely difficult to move to other teams and offices even if your interest and strengths lie elsewhere

Aug 11, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review! It's so nice to hear from employees who are as proud of working at Edelman as I am. I hope you'll work with your local HR team if you're not currently in a position that suits... More

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazingly smart people, fun atmosphere, great clients, incredible work and accounts

Cons

Long hours, horrible pay, little recognition, takes a while to move up

Advice to Management

Junior staff does 80% of the work. Appreciate them or they'll leave.

Sep 9, 2017 – Edelman

It makes me happy to hear your positive comments about the firm. It is a lot of fun, isn't it! I also recognize where you must be coming from in your constructive feedback about hours and balance... More

"Agreed on "Mean Girls" environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It WAS a company with a good reputation
    Good location, close to public transportation

Cons

After laying off several employees weeks before Christmas, morale was at an all-time low. This was addressed repeatedly with office leadership, but their response was always, "Well, Edelman may not be for everyone."
    No kidding! A message to those who currently are employed there or who are seeking employment -- this is what leadership will tell you...
    1. Edelman is not for everyone.
    - You're right. It's not. But can you explain why Edelman Chicago lost several outstanding employees, one after another, which left a ton of work on our plates? On top of that, Edelman wouldn't hire replacements and would reprimand those who billed too many hours after picking up the slack from employees who quit.
    2. PR is not for everyone.
    - You can't keep using this excuse.
    3. The high attrition rate is normal for PR agencies.
    - It's not. Lack of leadership accountability and external recruitment are the top causes for their high turnover.
    4. If you have a problem, come see HR.
    - The HR women do not create a comfortable environment and therefore, they're rarely approached. When they are advised of a situation, they often turn their backs and ignore the problem. My favorite excuse when issuing a complaint was hearing, "We'll address your issue to the staff during our next meeting," but it was NEVER addressed.
    5. Work-life balance is of utmost importance to us.
    - Most of the junior staff stays beyond 8 pm.
    6. Our diversity initiatives are on track.
    - I would recommend you pop your head over your cubicle and look at the make up of the staff.
    7. When HR says, "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll get to the bottom of this."
    - When you file a complaint about one of your leaders, all they do is question them and then talk about you behind your back. Leaders are never reprimanded when the lie or when they break the rules, no matter how much documented proof you have.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Start at the top...the very top.

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

Hi and thank you for your feedback. Positive or constructive, reviews like yours help us understand a variety of perspectives. While there's a lot to unpack in your review, much of which may have... More

"Changing but not for the better"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work on big-name clients
    - Internal resources (creative, planners, measurement/analytics) at your disposal, for a fee
    - You get to tell people you work at "Edelman"

Cons

- Self-imposed aggressive financial performance metrics motivated by the greed to hit the $1B revenue mark caused rounds of layoffs of loyal employees, many who gave 15+ years to the "family-owned business"
    - The agency externally marketed their employee affinity groups for people of color to clients and media, without any solid, measurable effort to place resources behind them for recruiting, retaining and mentoring diverse talent
    - Senior leadership and practice leaders continue to paint a rosy/optimistic picture of the office climate, which only further insults the intelligence of those with knowledge of office activity.
    - Very few of the employees who have been there for 10+ years (and rewarded with a 30-day sabbatical) have any motivation to evolve their skill set; they instead fall back on outdated account management methods
    - Refusal to relaunch its multicultural practice, which dissolved under a cloud of controversy 6 or so years ago. A head-scratching decision, with Chicago being one of the most diverse markets in the nation.
    - Formal leadership and performance training is imbalanced. Junior staff are provided with annual classes on "Managing Up" to supervisors and Vice Presidents; the latter could definitely benefit from leadership training on how to inspire employees for optimal performance, while maintaining morale. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive of one another.
    - The executive leadership team has not been nearly as visible, present and engaged as they have been in years past. You cannot rely on email as your primary method of leadership, and only show your face at fake Q&As. If you are going to hold "Drink & Thinks," commit to them and attend.

Advice to Management

- Break up the stranglehold the "Mean Girls" have had on your teams. Either shuffle up the staffing mix or send them packing. You will continue to experience attrition and damage to your reputation.

Showing 1,504 of 1,648 reviews