Edelman Reviews

Updated May 2, 2021

3.7
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman
Pros
  • "Great opportunity to work with some very smart people(in 120 reviews)

• "This has greatly improved work life balance(in 110 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance can be a bit challenging(in 298 reviews)

• "Some long hours, and lack of communication between departments(in 203 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Edelman and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

good

Apr 12, 2021 - Warehouse Worker in Danbury, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

good culture good people good team

Cons

potential to improve management styles

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Warning: RUN!

Apr 10, 2021 - Senior Account Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paid sick leave separate from paid vacation. You’ll need the sick leave from burnout. Trust me!

Cons

Hands down the worst experience of my career. It was so bad that I ended up giving my notice without even having another job lined up. My boss was absolutely terrible to me, making herself inaccessible from the time I joined the company. Almost from the start, I worked 12-14 hour days while she would skip out early for concerts or to go hang out with friends. She often threw me under the bus in meetings when someone more senior would get angry during an internal meeting about the way something was done, even though it was my boss who gave the direction in the first place. (I believe all of these people are still there in the LA office, so beware!) I was also forced to attend every team building event, even having to pay for dinner out of my own pocket despite it being a mandatory company/team event on company time. And then you were expected to work afterwards, so I’d often get home at 9 or 10pm from said team building event, and then work a couple more hours from home. Leadership was also really terrible, gossiping and belittling others. Any time someone I know says they are considering Edelman, I tell them to run, run, run as fast as you can.

9 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place for creative, energetic people

Mar 20, 2021 - EVP in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Creativity, boldness and initiative are encouraged. Management would rather go big and bold -- and fail -- than offer an adequate but mediocre program that doesn't get people excited and wow them. There are many brilliant people in every group and department, making it a fun and fascinating place to work. The company is sincere about caring for its people and is continually improving the work environment. Strong sense of purpose. It's a place where you can feel proud of your work because you know it's best in class; we often hear from clients "you blew everyone else out of the water".

Cons

Staffing imbalances. Thinkers, roll-up-their-sleeves "do-ers" and strategists are sometimes forced to be project managers, which requires a unique skill set. This is not making the best use of talent. Admin support is thin. HR and performance training staff sometimes ignore employee requests rather than provide meaningful responses.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Entry-Level Employees Are Dispensable

Mar 29, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun employee treats around the office, like happy hours, breakfast snacks, ice cream, etc.

Cons

They do not care about entry-level employees. I worked there when I was an assistant account executive and an account executive, and I worked 12-hour days for almost two years. Even with all my hard work and dedication, my managers still treated me horribly. I will never forget when one of my female managers publicly yelled at me, multiple times, in front of others, for not doing something correctly. My managers never took the time to help me learn - they only got mad when I couldn't read their minds. Unfortunately, I had two horrible female managers for the majority of my time there, who constantly made me feel like an insignificant failure. I even brought the issue to HR at one point, but I left the HR office feeling unheard and unseen. As soon as another opportunity presented itself, I left. I still have PTSD when I walk/drive by the Aon Center. My starting salary was also $28,000, which is ridiculously low (even compared to my equal counterparts at Edelman, which I discovered later).

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

What's more important to you? A top-notch resume builder or a well-paying, balanced job?

Feb 3, 2021 - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Rigorous experience working with top-level clients Expansive internal network with tons of SMEs to learn from Opportunities to be mentored by some of the best in the business

Cons

Dismal compensation packages Extremely heavy workloads that sometimes feel impossible to manage Lots of internal politics to navigate As with any large org, self-advocacy is a MUST otherwise you will get trampled Nonexistent work-life balance

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Feels like a country club

May 2, 2021 - Senior Digital Strategist in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great clients, occasionally gives bonuses

Cons

The Chicago office feels like a place where only certain people fit in. It genuinely felt like a country club with mostly white women who didn't offer diverse perspectives. It was not an ideal place to work. The best part about the job was my clients.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to begin career

Mar 19, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit is true, anything you can think of to service a client you can do. Hierarchy structures aren't a thing, if you have a good idea or want to take on a new project you can run with it.

Cons

They don't pay their employees enough for the hours they put in. However, this has been something regularly discussed by leadership over the past 6 months of the pandemic and I'm pleased to say I see change happening within.

8. 4.0

Good company

Apr 19, 2021 - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team, client work, flexibility during pandemic

Cons

Salaries not as competitive as others

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place and pressure on upward mobility

Apr 12, 2021 - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

they want you to move up, interesting work, awesome teams, super communicative

Cons

weird virtual world, confusion of upper management titles and hierarchy

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not very diverse

Jan 24, 2021 - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll be working with really smart people who think through current issues. There's something really exciting about working at a company with its finger on the pulse of current events. They are pretty good about giving raises and at the point in time I was there, even did COLA. There are companies that don't even do COLA except to top performers.

Cons

While you'll be surrounded by intelligence, you won't be surrounded by diversity. Looking into the cube bay, I saw row after row of female white women, in their mid-twenties, maybe (maybe) with a man sprinkled in (usually in management) or perhaps a POC.

4 people found this review helpful