HauteLook Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Terry Boyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Cool Environment and you can work from home or in office (in 15 reviews)

• Very professional, yet chill and fun work environment that will push you to learn new things (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If the high turnover rate is not evident enough to the company, I'm not sure if anything will ever change (in 12 reviews)

• Turnover rate: I have never experienced a higher (in 12 reviews)

1. "Okay First Job"

I have been working at HauteLook full-time

Pros

relaxed environment, good management, coworkers are nice

Cons

low compensation compared to other companies

2. "Working at Hautelook"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HauteLook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is knowledgeable and has a good vision for the future. Fun place to work.

Cons

Moving from an hourly position to a salaried one can be challenging. Sometimes career growth path may not be clear.

Advice to Management

Share as much information as you can possibly do, you never know how a little knowledge on things to come can impact the life of an employee.

3. "Great atmosphere! Fast paced yet fun to work at."

Former Employee - Senior Platform Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Platform Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engineering leadership is very thorough about their decisions. Management is transparent and trustworthy.

Other highlights:
    Employee discount!
    Phenomenal location!
    Fun events at work
    Lots of learning and knowledge sharing is promoted

Cons

There are absolutely no cons that I have noticed during my stay here. This is a great place to work. I would want to work here again, if and when that happens.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

4. "If your willing to work here"

I have been working at HauteLook full-time

Pros

Gain valuable experience within the department
    Can grow with the company
    Internal hire are considered before outside hires

Cons

Favoritism
    Hard work and low pay
    people are Laaazzyyy !!!

"hautelook high"

I have been working at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits are great, no dress code.

Cons

pay is low, management stirs up drama.

Advice to Management

your expectations do not match pay. There are massive pay gaps between employees with similar jobs.

6. "No logic. No sense. Paid in cents."

I have been working at HauteLook full-time

Pros

Holidays/weekends off. Generally chill environment.

Cons

Extremely underpaid and overworked. Hautelook started as a quantity of quality type of business. Expectations increase but compensation doesn't. Pay isn't merit based. Part of the photo studio is salary and the other part hourly. This causes issues of trust and respect. We're "rewarded" with early release and summer Fridays which is great for management and photographers but those of us hourly are shafted.

There's no transparency. A bunch of startup minded leaders operating under the big business Nordstrom mentality living by an "it is what it is" attitude. The turnaround is crazy. We've had 3 HR directors in the last 2 years that have all given us the same answer of "we're looking into it" whenever low compensation is addressed.

Those leaders that have the power to make changes hide away upstairs or at HQ, not sure if their hands are tied or if they are actually that oblivious.

Feedback is encouraged and somewhat enforced with a yearly survey that addresses customer service and other factors that have nothing to do with the job we do, yet nothing ever comes of the feedback. Just overall, when it comes to decisions that effect us all there is seemingly zero logic as a result of a lack of collaboration and experienced leaders, which is a shame because the photo studio is packed full of talented workers that just want to work hard and be compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team. Don't wait for survey results to then bring up issues that we've attempted to address, especially if you don't have the answers. And if you do have the answers, please share.

Also, fight for your teams. We're so often told that "it is what it is" but as leaders, you have the visibility to make changes that the rest of us don't.

7. "Style products that go on online catalog."

Current Employee - Product Stylist in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Product Stylist in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and is in a very relaxed and personable environment. They treat each other like family and have an events committee to keep the team involved and interactive. Since it is in a photo studio setting it is very behind the scenes and are able to enjoy all holidays and weekends off.

Cons

Since it's a smaller company there's not much room for growth unless someone higher up quits. After a while it becomes very repetitive so if you're not into repetition this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Everyone treats each other with respect as long as you give respect. And never hover these are working professionals that have been doing this job for a long period of time. They have a lot of knowledge of their positions and are willing to help.

"If you are not upper management, you are not appreciated here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easy going dress code

Cons

-Favoritism: Jobs have been created for the favorites of the company. Benefits have also been given to favorites including additional time off/working from home. If you are not one of the favorites of upper management, you are treated as though you do not matter at the company.
    - No discipline: There is no discipline from anyone in upper management. There have been other employees that have broken common HR rules and have continued to work in the company without any disciplinary action (ie: yelling at other employees, attendance discrepancies)
    - No help in career growth: The company has gotten better about letting employees know of positions within, however the issue with trying to grow your career at Hautelook is upper management. Upper management has said that they will assist you in learning about other positions, but once you ask, they end up making you feel bad about taking time away from your normal work day to go shadow. On the other end, there are certain departments that you reach out to to shadow, and they don't respond to your emails or requests. If the company is so willing to help your career growth, they should be promoting processes across the board.
    - Pay: The pay for all hourly positions is pathetic. You are expected to go above and beyond your position duties, but you are not paid out to those expectations. Whether you are on the creative team or on production team, the pay as an hourly employee does not match to the work that is done.
    - Turnover rate: I have never experienced a higher turnover rate than at this company. At one point there was 4-5 employees in production that were quitting and moving on to other companies because they were so dissatisfied here. If the high turnover rate is not evident enough to the company, I'm not sure if anything will ever change.
    - Drama: There is so much drama. I know that the company cannot always control what is said, but they are responsible for how they deal with the aftermath. There is nothing that is ever done.
    - Management: As stated earlier, upper management "plays favorites" and will promote employees they like into management positions. This allows for young, inexperienced employees into positions of power. There have been several issues of mismanagement of various departments and the stats show the performance. There has never been any training for managers missing the mark and the issues are never addressed until they are escalated to a point that the department can not recover from.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! We take an employee survey for a reason. I have personally taken three employee surveys during my time here and nothing has ever changed. Stop the favoritism. It has become so obvious that some employees are treated better than the majority. Update the job descriptions to correctly reflect what is expected of employees or increase the pay of the employees. Treat your employees like the matter!

9. "Eh."

I worked at HauteLook full-time

Pros

You get to work from home.

Cons

Terribly disorganized. Feels like high school.

Advice to Management

Do better.

"Fulfillment Agent"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Agent in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Agent in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment is friendly and approachable, Wages are better now, and they have accommodations for work schedule

Cons

Management lacks interpersonal skills, favoritism when promoting from within, Leads lacks leadership skills

Advice to Management

Leave the promotions for HR to review instead of managers