RealPage Reviews | Glassdoor

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A culture like none other"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and atmosphere, amenities available to employees, perks and benefits and on top of it all, it doesn't feel like "work" it's always fun, and evolving daily!

Cons

The only thing for me personally is the drive from where i live, but it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue seeking great talent, and don't change a thing you're doing if it works.

Apr 2, 2018

Thank you for sharing this post and the confidence that you have in RealPage. It is an incredible experience when work does not feel like work. All the best. Sincerely, Kurt Twining

2. "Accounting Product Center Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company, Industry Leader with a variety of Product line, Lots of opportunities to learn new things and advance in your career

Cons

Everyday is a busy day at work

Apr 4, 2018

Thank you for your post. I sincerely trust we can continue to meet your expectations. All the best, Kurt Twining

"Was a great place to work until..."

Former Employee - Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, family atmosphere, decent benefits, fun activities, casual dress code, facility in Richardson is nice with a food court and Starbucks, loved my manager and co-workers, very LBGT friendly

Cons

Steve Winn is buying a lot of smaller companies. Usually it does not make much difference, but when one of the companies merged with my department, that company took over and appeared to replace career employees with their own. I was unceremoniously terminated after a decade. It did not go unnoticed that those others who were let go was people of color. The particular department I worked is highly fraternal and “good ole boy”. Women and people of color are highly under appreciated in both salary and work quality. Employee surveys use the Uber method: a good review, your bosses will get a big bonus.

Apr 18, 2018

Thank you or your post and I appreciate your Pro comments. I would like to deep dive your Cons, especially your own termination. There has to be more here to understand as you elude to race and... More

""The Orbs" - Engulfing your portrait in flames"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Louisville, KY

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Publicly traded, stable and established company
     - Company is putting more emphasis on using open source technology/solutions moving forward
     - There are good folks here who want to see some of the cons I mention addressed

Cons

I was part of an acquisition 3 years ago that was using cutting-edge technology (e.g. Docker in production), had a culture that favored Trust and Influence over Control, and utilized Agile development practices to deliver regularly to our customers. Enter the Realpage world of tickets, approvals, wait times, quarterly releases, etc. It takes a long time to get things done here which ends up in everything being urgent.

Cons - Company Processes
     - Quarterly releases are favored over shipping often
     - Engineers are required to send an email to a central system (called "The Orbs") each time we switch a task, feature or enhancement including a description and screenshot. This is displayed on TVs for upper management (and potentially others?) to see. If you miss too many updates, your card becomes engulfed in flames. This system has been in place for over a year so far. In what kind of world is this acceptable?
     - Company decisions are very top-down including the tooling developers use, processes in place, etc.
     - The company is quick to form new teams, but slow to empower them to achieve their objectives (e.g. - teams need a budget, IT resources, etc.). I've been on several teams that weren't ever empowered to achieve our goal, leading to a LOT of wasted time.
     - Pair programming, code reviews, automated testing and other modern coding standards are classified as "if I have time" and are not active objectives of the engineering division throughout the company.
     - The company avoids the cloud at all costs, spending millions on custom data centers and treats cloud providers as if they can't be trusted. As a result their practices are behind the times and adoption of new technology is extremely slow.

As a result of several of these cons, about 75% of what I've worked on over the past 2-3 years was not utilized/never shipped.

Cons - Compensation
     - Poor raise/promotion pay structure rewards new hires over staying for the long haul. I've heard managers literally tell their team they would get paid more if they left the company and came back (on 3 separate occasions, 3 separate managers). Me and my co-workers appreciate management's honesty in this area.
     - The 401k match for a given year is decided in the first quarter of the following year. So you lose a potential 1 year's earnings on any matched dollars. Over time, this could be a significant loss as you're delayed up to a year on being able to invest that money. In 2016 they matched "30% up to 6%" which is the equivalent of a 1.8% match. In 2017 the match was "32% up to 6%". You really never know what you're going to get. That can be good, but can be bad. I personally dislike the guessing game.
     - If you're fortunate enough to get stock options/rewards (I was) then the 401k is made up for with that... but otherwise you just miss out and aren't taken care of.
     - No parental leave, so if you plan on expanding your family, expect to use vacation time.
     - Vacation time isn't paid out when leaving, so it's really in your best interest (for your new job) to take a 2-3 week vacation and quit the day you get back than to provide a 2 week notice (effectively forfeiting any vacation you have). Unfortunately I learned this after putting in my notice.

The company doesn't seem to think there are many issues. Even on some Glassdoor posts you can see Kurt (doing his job well, mind you) touting RP as one the Fortune Most Admired companies.

The company survey appears to also get good feedback, though it's largely driven by very generic questions, understandably so. Perhaps a good solution would be to run a unique survey for different roles in the company (.e.g - Engineering, Customer Support, etc.) to pinpoint pockets of dissatisfaction. Using team leads (NOT managers) in those departments to help come up with the survey contents may be a good approach as well.

Most devs I've encountered aren't excited to be here, but it pays the bills and they aren't unhappy enough to leave.

Apr 18, 2018

Thank you for your post as there is a lot to unpack here. I believe you were balanced in sharing your pros, especially that there are many folks at RealPage, who continually strive to make it a... More

"Good if you need call center experience, but not the greatest call center wise."

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job was not hard. Pretty easy stuff. You just answer inbound calls from customers that wanted to know about a specific apartment complex. The building I worked in had a very nice break room, and a Playstation 4.

Cons

Not really many opportunities for growth. Workforce (the scheduling people) was pretty bad. I had been there for a year and was always scheduled for 11 am to 8 pm while other employees were there less than that and they had 8 am to 5 pm. The customers that call in are very rude. I have seen people just leave the job because they could not handle the calls that came in. The opportunities for growth were limited on the call center side.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for people on the call center side or at least some educational knowledge on how we can promote from within.

Apr 4, 2018

Thank you for your post...Looks like you could handle the work just fine. Looks like both shifts of work encompassed 9 hours. Do we get some rude customers calling in, unfortunately that happens... More

"Master Marketing Associate"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Greenville, SC

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they often have events and fun activities for family and staff. Morale is great. I've worked here for 6years and love it

Cons

no weekends off, but you get an option to have one weekend day off and can also have consecutive days off

Mar 19, 2018

Thank you for your post. I'm glad you're on the team and enjoy your work. All the best, Kurt Twining.

7. "Compliance"

Current Employee - Compliance Partner in Yucca Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Compliance Partner in Yucca Valley, CA

I have been working at RealPage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to contact another team member or supervisor right away is great. Benefits great. Skype, Email, RPDM is great. Compliance Manager is very positive and always creates a positive environment. Team is also positive.

Cons

We do not have a compliance manual to refer to. We have notes. I would prefer a more detailed manual for compliance and RPDM, to refer back to and take notes next to each different section. I requested ADOBE READER PRO and was given NUANCE POWER PDF ADVANCED. I do not know how to use this program. The only thing IT could send me is a 4 page quick note thing, that does not address any of the things I need to learn how to do. So basically paid for nothing, since I can not use it and I am frustrated not having the ability to have PDF software that I can use.

Advice to Management

Maybe on the Notes for Compliance (Windsor, State Notes) address what is not required. I come from a state where everything is required. So if I do not see a note for it, then I spend hours trying to find out if the form is even required. Usually it is not required, but I just don't feel comfortable not knowing for sure so I look for it. Also maybe ask us if we know how to use software before you purchase it for us. thank you.

Apr 4, 2018

Thank you for your post. This is clearly a training and clarity opportunity. I appreciate the fact that you find your team very positive. I am sending this post directly to your leadership team, who... More

"Do NOT Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely Nothing, Nothing At All

Cons

Unethical management - they make big promises and then throw people away after they decide to blame them for their own bad decisions. No integrity.

"Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Richardson, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is coffee and a gym

Cons

STRESS TO THE MAX, not enough pay for the amount of calls you take, get ready to take back to back calls nonstop until you hear your ears ring and your loosing your mind and just want to walk out on the job on the spot

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees more so you would know they are going through hell at that boiler room call center, please

"Realpage Employee"

Current Employee - Implementation Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Analyst in Richardson, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay/benefits, gamerooms, free coffee bars, starbucks, wellness rooms, huge gym, personal fitness training, fitness classes, continuing education at local community college, cafe with great food, so much more...

Cons

Open seating floor plan, no rollover PTO

Feb 28, 2018

Thank you for your post. I'm glad you are finding many positive things about the company as we are trying very hard to put forward an inclusive work environment. We have thought long and hard about... More