Sun Life Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Sun Life CEO Dean Connor
Dean Connor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I am allowed to work from home a couple days which helps because I live pretty far away" (in 45 reviews)

• "Advisers offer good benefits to its staff" (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • "There should be right people management by the managers or senior management teams" (in 22 reviews)

• "If I had to think of one thing, it would be the lack of involvement upper management has in the actual running of the call centre" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Associate Director, Clinical Case Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Brownsburg, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Brownsburg, IN

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, change management, growth opportunities

Cons

Stressors due to change and time requirements

"Amazing Company to work for"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do not confine to the traditional "rules" of a 9-5 workplace. They understand that we all have busy lives, and allow for work from home flexibility. There are excellent benefits with a tremendous culture. I have worked here for two years and am very satisfied.

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

Advice to Management

None

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really care about employees!

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work!

4. "OK place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package, vacation time, technology

Cons

Lack of diversity in leadership, layoffs & reorgs annually

Advice to Management

Invest in leader development. More 360s before and after promotion to senior leader (AVP and higher).

"Can be a great company to work for - depending on who you are"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good benefits and good work-life balance. The hours were flexible as long as you work the required weekly hour requirement. This is great for single parents as I was able to begin work after dropping my child off to school. Sun Life offers a lot of community service work. However, the best programs required driving to the home office in Massachusetts which wasn't too bad.

Cons

There was no consistency with management style. Some managers were awesome to work for, supportive, and great leaders. Others were horrible, displayed favoritism, treated some people unfairly, were horrible leaders. Unfortunately, I had a horrible manager who treated me unfairly because I stood up for myself when I felt that I wasn't being treated fairly or if I noticed that others weren't. I performed my job very well and went above and beyond my duties. Yet, I was purposely held back from promotions. People who were less dedicated, with terrible attitudes, and poor performance were constantly being promoted or earned more. If you are a manager's favorite, you get promoted. I used to love going to work, but over time my manager's treatment of me, and the fact that upper management allowed it, made me loathe the place.

Advice to Management

Sun Life needs to train all managers to be fair and not display grudges, and allow staff to feel comfortable speaking up so long as it is in a respectful manner. All people should be treated equally. Managers there have this entitlement and are allowed to get away with despicable actions. I hate to say this, but at the time I worked there, there was not much racial diversity. There were many talented African Americans who left the company because they felt the same: unfair treatment, being deliberately held back from deserving promotions, not being heard or appreciated, The lack of response or feedback when following up on open positions was highly disrespectful and unprofessional. It is known that the pay structure is not fair. It is known that Sun Life does not pay equal pay for equal work. I feel strongly that race played a factor. I don't know if things have changed since I left. But, these are issues that hold Sun Life from being a fantastic company to work for.

Would I recommend a friend? I would say not if you're not white.

"LTD analyst"

Former Employee - LTD Claims Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - LTD Claims Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, stability.

Cons

Managers lack experience, lots of women (95% in LTD) are like cackling hens, WAY to much gossip and people getting into everyone's business.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do your job..Especially at the Director level. Longevity/seniority does not equal effectiveness or ability.

"Love it here"

Current Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good starting wage, opportunity for growth

Cons

HR is a nightmare, otherwise awesome

"National Accounts"

Current Employee - National Accounts – Regional Claim Center Lead in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Not much growth or room for opportunities .

Advice to Management

Manage National Accounts

"Overworked, stressed, no technical or manager support"

Former Employee - Premium Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Premium Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sun Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You may be able to work at home - some can do this Full Time, but not everyone. Others cannot work at home at all and there are the rest that can choose 2 days a week to work at home. It depends on what dept you are in and who your manager is. The hours can be from 6:30 to 7:30 but you have to pick a set schedule in Kansas City. There is a nice cafeteria and Starbucks. There is good time off and sick. You may be given a laptop to work at home which I was. I think Sunlife is a good company based out of Canada but they are having issues applying all their perks to the Kansas City location and it shows.

Cons

While some of the building is up to date and renovated most of it is outdated and worn out. The equipment is mostly outdated and passed around. There are several programs that are very outdated that you need to learn. Sunlife bought this company a few years ago and they still have not worked out any of the kinks. No one knows what anyone else does within the company. The company is international so you will be calling all over the place to get something handled. They have many people in many roles with titles that seem similar to Customer Advocacy or Customer Care Executive. It is never made clear who does what and no one seems well educated in their role. The management is overloaded so they do not have time for you. The training is touch and go and most of the time not useful. All the employees seem overloaded and do not have time to help you if you are attempting to learn how to do something. They do not provide you with a team lead or a technical specialist for advice. IT is in Ireland and they cant usually help you with anything more than resetting a password. HR is also unavailable. You send them an email and they get back to you in a week. They are still using MS-DOS programs from the 1980's and most people do not know how to use them.

Advice to Management

Better training. Have team leads in all departments to help expedite bigger issues your subordinates have since you are not available to assist them. Do not think it is helpful to send a subordinate around to all their peers to bother them with trying to fix a problem or learn something when their peers are too busy to help. Allow more work at home as most communication is thru email and IM within the office anyway.

"Good"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Sick time, vacation time. employees are friendly. Flexible schedules. Nice building, nice management. Interview process was simple. HR is wonderful.

Cons

Needs to be an at home job. There’s not to many cons to the job itself. A little more money could be given.

Showing 569 of 1,084 reviews