Sysco Reviews | Glassdoor

Sysco President & CEO Bill DeLaney
Bill DeLaney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Average Pay and work/life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Long hours hard work sometimes management doesn't have your best interest st heart everything is about the bottom line your just a number (in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Order selector"

Former Employee - Night Order Selector in Jessup, MD
    Former Employee - Night Order Selector in Jessup, MD

I worked at Sysco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay starting off is decent but after about three months the pay gets extremely better as you start to learn the warehouse and start selecting faster. The faster your pick rate is and lower your error rate is the more money you make.

Cons

The hours are long and the work is extremely rough on the body. Sometimes the time off between shifts isn't enough to recover for the next night.

2. "Accounts receivable"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Norton, MA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Norton, MA

I worked at Sysco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible with hours
    Good company morale

Cons

Hard to get Holidays off

Advice to Management

Rotate holidays so not the same people get Christmas week off

3. "Love Sysco!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Sysco full-time

Pros

Great Pay, Benefits and people you work with

Cons

Can be high stress and at times and even when your performance is good there is always a sense that its never good enough but I guess that is all big business

Advice to Management

Management here is great, I just think they could do a better job of showing they care about their subordinates

"Corporate IT Dept - Great benefits, good culture (mostly)"

Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great benefits including "extras" outside of the typical insurance/401k structure
    -Most senior management in IT are great leaders, empowering and motivational
    -A culture of pitching in together and doing it right, big emphasis on ethics and code of conduct
    -Dynamic environment (if you enjoy a challenge and shifting gears)
    -Values diversity, longevity, and employee growth - lots of opportunities to grow your skills in leadership, job-related areas, and elsewhere
    -Some positions compensation is above market

Overall, I think the pros outweigh the cons for my personal taste. I work well in an environment that changes - over the 3 years that I've worked in IT at Sysco, we've changed our management structure 3 times, changed IT strategy at least twice, and adopted new methodologies twice. Communication can be a challenge, but the change is generally well done so as along as you are comfortable switching gears, you'll be fine. Sysco offers a great benefits package including decent vacation/time-off and good "perks" like holiday hams and employee purchasing. The company also values employee learning and growth, and puts major effort into offering coaching/learning opportunities, especially if you are interested in management roles or learning better leadership. Compensation seems to be above market in some positions while under market in others, so it's hit or miss.

Cons

-Dynamic environment (if you don't adapt well to change)
    -IT specific: Very siloed, other departments will do their own thing, not much knowledge transfer between departments so you often compete with each other for resources unknowingly
    -IT specific: support is mostly managed services, and the companies providing those services are not very focused on "the customer experience", so you often have to clean up their work
    -Technology is ancient
    -Some mid-level managers are inflexible and demotivating, leading with more of a carrot/stick mentality.
    -IT specific: There's still a big grudge when Sysco unilaterally laid off most of the IT department (and brought in managed services) about 5 years ago or so, so those who have been around since before then often have a bone to pick and get very disgruntled quickly. It can be hard to work with those managers at times because they're too busy being upset about the decision made, and not interested in collaboration/furthering the business
    -IT specific: Because most roles are filled by managed services companies, career growth within IT is very limited unless you go into management
    -(might be a con to you) Often expected to go the extra mile, work outside of the typical 9-5

The cons are generally limited to roles that require collaboration and communication cross-functionally within the IT department. If your role will not require working with other groups often, then they may not apply much to you. Also, if you are looking for more technical roles, and are not interested in moving in management, the career opportunities are severely limited, though I see some of that changing in emerging technologies like cyber security and cloud architecture.

In IT especially, you're often expected to put in extra work to meet deadlines or support major releases in off-hours. You also tend to get too many assignments, so your work/life balance may suffer a bit. I've noticed this in other departments, too, that the expectation is to do what needs to be done - if you're a "roll your sleeves up, get to work" kind of person, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you're motivated by a more structured environment with clear roles/responsibilities and boundaries, then this may not be the right culture for you.

Unrelated to IT specifically, the environment is extremely dynamic which can be a con if you are not flexible/adaptable. The company also uses very old technology as a backbone for its core systems, which can fail unexpectedly during business hours. Depending on your role, some of the systems you need to do your job may break once a week or once a month. However, support is usually pretty quick to get things working again (....unless you get one of the offshore groups, for some reason the company they picked to provide offshore support has no interest in comprehending problems, so they waste 2-3 days just trying to ask you the same questions over and over again)

Advice to Management

IT specific: Build more career paths within IT for entry level IT personnel that will move them into more technical roles. Encourage departments to work together instead of in a vacuum, so there's less frustration and competition for resources. Take a long hard look at the customer satisfaction rating of the managed services companies you contract with - they might offer great dev resources, but if the support/service is terrible, the rest of IT suffers.

Non-IT specific: More communication across all functional areas, more emphasis on building leadership skills with managers, especially mid-level managers.

5. "Sysco street sales"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Sysco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers a lot of tools to assist in your sales career. The commission schedule is enhanced with tenure.

Cons

Insane computer input of data. Takes away 10-15 hours weekly from actual sell time. Senior management's focus at the local OPCO level is more focused on profit than people. Prices are manipulated to help the very biggest of accounts.

Advice to Management

Lessen the burden of call documents and focus on sales.

"Good Job For Those Who Don't Mind Working Hard"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Plympton, MA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Plympton, MA

I have been working at Sysco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, home nightly, 5 day work week, decent benefits, awesome management staff. I have only been working here for a couple of months and I'm averaging $1,500 a week which is very decent for a NEW CDL Class A driver and a NEW employee in the food delivery service industry. This is also considered "base pay" rates. The average delivery driver at my location makes upwards of $100k per year. Paid holidays, matches 401k (to "X" percentage), again AWESOME management team. Always eager to tell and coach when needed.

Cons

Biweekly pay. Pallets are built by whom I can only assume are kinder garden children in adult male bodies. Very unorganized which makes finding each item for each individual stop challenging and down right frustrating at times. Delivery times are unrealistic. Routing sends you to stops either too early or during lunch windows. VERY PHYSICAL. VERY DANGEROUS. Nothing particularly unmanageable, but there are many occupational hazards. Typical delivery driver cons.

Advice to Management

My transportation management team are among the best supervisors I've ever had. I have no advice other than to keep up the great work and that I appreciate all of your help.

7. "It can be stressful and annoying how they run the business, load the trucks, and are not always there for the driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money and benefits are the best about the job. Other than that I can't think of any other pros

Cons

The way the trucks are loaded and how much the same route can change. You can have the same route and have completely different stops

Advice to Management

Look out for your employees more and treat the drivers how the rest of the company gets treated and find better and more efficient ways of loading the trucks to make the job easier and more enjoyable for the drivers

8. "Review title"

Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, decent pay and good work environment

Cons

none here, i like the company

9. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Transportation in College Park, GA
    Current Employee - Transportation in College Park, GA

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Livable wage, free food, growth potential

Cons

Lack of communication amongst management.

Advice to Management

Make sure management is on the same page before administering duties to employees.

10. "Forklift operator"

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Harahan, LA
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Harahan, LA

I worked at Sysco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great pay, and the ability to move up in the company.

Cons

Some equipment is below that of production standards, and they will still ask you to use it. But that can affect you pay greatly.

Advice to Management

John, Raymond, Steve, and Brian I will be back. Have an awesome time and continue making money. Until next time, later.