Advance Auto Parts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

Sort:

Commercial Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Roanoke, VA) in December 2012.

Interview

It's a very standard, by-the-book S*T*A*R interview process. Come prepared with 3-4 personal scenarios of how you reacted to a specific situation in the previous leadership role, the obstacles you faced, the actions you implemented and the results of your actions.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a disgruntled TM, who although had unlimited talents and experience, but was negatively impacting others on the team? What did you do in this situation ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Initial offer was well below what current, equally experienced TM's we're being paid. After negotiating, the company came back with an offer that was more in line and I accepted the position. The base salary difference was roughly 15k lower when negotiations started, and by the end, I was within 5k of my initial salary requirement.

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Greenwood, SC) in November 2008.

Interview

Dropped off application and had to continue to keep calling and bugging the manager. Finally got a 1 on 1 interview pass that then went to a panel interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, NC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Jacksonville, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

Began with a telephone screening by a corporate HR rep, then an online personality/leadership test that took about an hour. About 3 or 4 days before the store manager called me and scheduled an interview. Pretty informal interview in the store, basically just a meet and greet so the store can get a feel for who you are and what you can offer. About a week and the district leader called me to speak further and answer any questions. The job offer came back a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What are you currently working on to improve you leadership skills?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for assistant managers. It was a take it or leave it offer.

Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Morrisville, PA) in August 2013.

Interview

Very layed back, but informative, friendly, and concise. I originally applied online through the Advance Auto Parts website and received a call back within a week of submission. I setup an interview time and date, and met with the Store Manager in the back, in his office. The parts manager was already seated when we arrived and he sat in on the interview and also asked some questions. After the interview was nearing completion, the corporate sales manager introduced herself and I was told if I received a job offer that I would be reporting directly to her. Everyone was very friendly, professional, and attentive.

Interview Questions

• If I had any automotive repair experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Winchester, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

It started out easy, I had 5 interviews with 4 store manager and 2 district managers. At one point I had to travel 1.5 hours for an interview with a store manager because no one else was available to do at that time.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a chance to deal with angry customer and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with the district and store managers. I gave my experience and expectations. They asked general questions, gave a brief over view of the company, small job description and spoke about salary.

Anonymous Employee in Castle Hayne, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Castle Hayne, NC) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview process was quick and professional. From start to finish the process for mid mgmt was 3 days including bg chk and drug test. I walked away knowing the hiring managers feelings and my chances.

Interview Questions

• If you saw an employee put merchandise in a customers bag but did not see them scan the product, how would you deal with the situation.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in May 2015.

Interview

This was a promotional interview as I was already employed by Advance. I met with the district leader and a store manager (who differed from my own). They presented questions to assess my abilities. Then they allowed me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you observed and deescalated a conflict. What could you have done differently in retrospect. What lessons did you learn?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greer, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Greer, SC).

Interview

The hiring process at Advance Auto Parts today is automated .Through our website you place your information into a que that is rated and moved through the process based on your answers to an assessment. Based on your application job preference the assessment can be different.Individual Store Managers or regional HR reps place requisitions for job types onto the hiring system. After that any store or Hr rep can pull that information and disseminate it to the appropriate departmant.

Interview Questions

• What is the proper plastigage clearance for the main bearings on a 1978 Chevy 350 cid engine?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Typical negotiation. A few days of back and forth before a conclusion was reached.

Strategic Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Roanoke, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via e-mail by a recruiter within a few days. I was asked to complete a variety of online assessments covering relevant skills, logical reasoning, and personality that was followed by a preliminary phone interview with the recruiter a week later. The recruiter was very friendly/well informed and referred me to the hiring manager. I was offered a phone interview with the hiring manager and a senior pricing analyst which I accepted - both provided useful insight into the position and asked the standard interview questions. Next up was a series of in-person interviews, 3 to be exact, that I was able to schedule for one day to minimize my travel time. This was designed to offer the candidate a chance to interview with a variety of team members representative of the typical product work group. The first group was less than congenial (apparently the interview disrupted a project on which they were working), however the second group saved face, offering a useful discourse on the position, strategies, etc. I completed the on-site day with the hiring manager who answered my remaining questions. Roughly a week later I was contacted by the recruiter to schedule a final interview with the department director. Again, the recruiter was very accommodating and arranged a telephone interview to save me another 4 hour drive when the director was in town - evidently when the new CEO was hired from Best Buy, he opened a "regional" headquarters in Minnesota where he and the rest of his Best Buy converts are located and they occasionally commute to Roanoke. The interview covered my educational and professional background, his goals for the department, and a pleasant conversation about the industry in general and how the position I was interviewing for impacted the company. My only complaint with the process was the timeline following this final interview. I was informed initially I would have an answer within 5 days (it seemed quick, but it fit my personal schedule so I didn't argue). In reality, it would be nearly 3 weeks before I was given a decision. During this time I went with another offer - 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Interview Questions

• Standard fare of interview questions: "Describe an instance when you needed to convince a superior to use your approach to solving a problem", "Detail your use of database software to complete an analytical project", "Why do you want to work for AAP?", and a series of questions about my most recent experience.   Answer Question