Allstate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Allstate Interview Questions

Interviews at Allstate

1,543 Interview Reviews

2.7

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Allstate.

Interview

The process is easy going. Just wanted honest answers and to know that you are willing and able to make a sale. There are many questions on if you can make calls to random people for a sale.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to get your license within 30 day’s of hire?   3 Answers

Risk Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Allstate.

Interview

Make sure you are familiar with BDI interview style. Be sure that you include the outcome of the examples that you provide. They love to hear about customer service and data analytics and leadership skills.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to adapt to a major change in the workplace.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allstate.

Interview

Asked questions and gave information on the various lines of business that allstate operates in as we'll as future outlook for how the company expects to navigate the future. Open to questions and demonstrated a balanced and positive culture within the firm

Junior Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allstate.

Interview

The interview process was supposed to be the same as the previous posts described. Three turns total:

1. A phone screening with a bot: all behavior questions. They gave me 48 hours to finish the process after sending me the email.

2. Technical phone interview with two data scientists. They asked about my recent project and some difficulties I encountered. One fairly simple coding problem and a case study about the fuel efficiency of ship transportation.

3. This is a depressing one. I was scheduled for a third interview but had it canceled several days ahead. Then recently HR contacted me that the interview is not going to happen and they will not move further on my application. This was supposed to be the last turn of the interview and I was quite excited about it. I understand that this is an unusual time, but I can't help feeling frustrated. I hope this won't happen to future applicants.

To the other applicants who had a similar experience, I'm sorry for the situation and best wishes to you.

Interview Questions

• Find a pair of numbers in a list that sums up to a target value.   Answer Question
    • For the case study, describe some data preprocessing techniques. How do you deal with categorical variables with many levels? How would you go about dealing with missing data? How do you evaluate your model? Some other questions will depend on your response during the interview.   Answer Question

Junior Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Worst Experience ever.

As mentioned, 1st round is phone call with a bot, talking about a few background questions like describe a project that you apply statistics/machine learning skills and solve problems etc. 2nd round is a technical interview with 3 part: self introduction and go over resume, coding, machine learning case.

I was scheduled for a virtual onsite Monday. Last Friday 4:45pm or so, an HR called me and said due to time conflict she needs to reschedule and ask me to provide availability in the next 2 weeks. I provided my availability immediately but no follow-up in the next few days. Hence I shot a message to follow up Tuesday evening. In Wednesday evening around 6:30pm, the HR called me and said the virtual onsite is canceled due to business change and we are not moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Background:
      Talk a bit about yourself, talk a bit about your experience, talk a bit about your skill and what problem you solved.

Coding:
      easy level coding, similar to 2 sum

Case:
      how to quantify problems, what features you think of to use, how to evaluate performance, etc.   Answer Question

Junior Data Scientist Interview

Interview

1. phone screen with a bot
    2. technical interview on the phone with two employees (a data scientist and a data analytics engineer) that starts with asking you to go over the resume and then proceeds to a couple of coding questions and ends with a case study question (see below for specifics)

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you'd write a function that takes a list of integers as its first argument and another integer as its second argument and then returns whether any pair of integers in the list sums to the integer given as the second argument.   Answer Question
    • Tell us how you'd write a function that takes an integer and returns the sum of its digits.   Answer Question
    • A shipping company asks you to evaluate how efficient its fleet are using fuel. How would you go about doing that? (e.g. outcome variable, features you'd want) Do you have follow up questions? What kind of model would you use? What metrics would you use to evaluate?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

It went very well and smooth. Great agency owner who paved the way for learning and excelling in sales. The job consists of a lot of telemarketing or cold calling. This can be touch to stay positive and or motivated.

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Allstate (Charlotte, NC) in May 2020.

Interview

1. Discussion with HR person (around an hour, phone)
    2. Technical interview with 2 people (1 hour, phone, no time left for my questions but that might be because my answers were long)
    3. Technical interview with three sets of two people (3+ hours, normally onsite but video chat due to COVID-19)
    4. Offer received
    Would have had no further interviews but I requested another interview as I'd had insufficient time to ask questions and wanted to meet my future boss.
    5. Interview with potential future boss (1 hour)
    6. Discussion with HR to turn down offer

Overall the interviews were pleasant as I liked the people and enjoyed the questions. I had one minor complaint and one major issue:
    Minor complaint - the email I received said the step 2 interview would be behavioral questions only. In the end it was 100% a technical interview, which was a nasty shock. Not a problem in the end as the technical interview was more than fair and actually fun, but not pleasant to expect one thing and get something completely different.

Major issue: In my initial discussion with HR they named a salary range and were at pains to emphasize that I should be okay with this range or maybe a bit above it. When the offer finally came it was then below the lower end of this range. They claimed all the interviews had gone well and that there was no problem, but when I asked why the offer was lower than the lowest point previously discussed (and well below the median salary in the area) they had no explanation except to say that HR didn't always have the information about salary and so had to guess. This seems either somewhat disingenuous or speaks to a highly disorganized company.

This combined with mediocre benefits (e.g. middling 401(k) match is 0% vested until three years, only high-deductible medical plans available with little or no out-of-network coverage), a requirement to sign a mutual arbitration agreement (never had to sign away my right to a jury trial for a job before; do they plan to violate my rights?), and a general sense of disorganization in the company (in addition to HR apparently not knowing the correct salary range it took nearly two weeks *after* an offer to determine who my boss would be), in the end I felt it would be a low salary for a company that seemed, based on their benefits and actions, disorganized and not particularly interested in employee welfare. So I turned it down.

I should note; the people I spoke with seemed great and the work interesting; these were real positives. The HR person I worked with was also incredibly nice; really a pleasure to work with and even seemed understanding of my concerns and a bit regretful that the people who did set salary weren't making a better offer. I get the sense it would be enjoyable to work there from a people and work perspective. It was just the dynamics with HR/management (e.g. salary, benefits, signing away right to sue if my rights were violated) that made it seem like a bad option in the end. Actions matter more than words.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about modeling choices and techniques, data train/test/validation breakdowns, features one might consider and how and why to consider them (or not), etc., and some basic programming algorithm questions (e.g. describe conceptually or write in pseudocode how you would do X). The technical questions were comprehensive but fair; quite well done overall.

There were some behavioral questions in the 3-hour session; basically what one would expect from behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

4 hour long process with a behavioral, coding, and case study with 1 hour hour session for each. The process was pretty organized and easy to follow and prepare for.

Claims Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Allstate (Portland, OR) in April 2020.

Interview

I applied to this position on 3/10, completed a phone screening with a recruiter on 3/26 (I was asked one behavioral question about multitasking.), and then had a video interview with the hiring manager and the field lead on 4/02. The video interview was in place of the typical in-person one due to COVID-19 precautions. The interview had three parts: the managers welcomed me and gave me a chance to feel comfortable. They asked simple questions told me about the position. Then follows the trickier behavioral questions, and finally you can ask some questions and they'll go over Allstate as a company and the company benefits.

A note on the behavioral questions: I once read that interviews are "like a Taco Bell menu," they typically have all the same ingredients, just put together differently. Interview ingredients (besides "tell me about yourself" and "why us?") are examples of: working with others, leadership, conflict resolution, problem-solving/adaptability, organization, failure/weakness, and success/strength. You will probably waste a lot of time on Glassdoor/Indeed if your plan is to find all the possible questions that might be asked during your interview. Spending time familiarizing yourself with your responses to these "ingredients" might be much more beneficial both to your interview at Allstate and any other interviews you may have. :-)

During the week following the interview, I received a call from the recruiter with feedback on my interview and an unfortunate message that although I was strongly considered, the position was being cancelled due to everything that is going on in the world today.

The recruiter, hiring manager, and field lead were all welcoming and informative about the position. They all seemed like wonderful people to work with and made my application process as positive as possible. I especially appreciated how the recruiter called, even though he couldn't offer me the job, just to give me feedback and to let me know where I stood. I will certainly be looking out for more positions at Allstate in my area.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to work with an upset customer to avoid unnecessary restitution.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to ask someone a lot of questions.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time that you resolved a conflict.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time that you could have been more organized.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time that you had to change your approach.   Answer Question