Amazon Lab126 Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Lab126 Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon Lab126

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Very stressful phone interview. Interviewer was not friendly at all. After 1.5 hrs long interview which was supposed be an hour long, Interviewer could not decide and gave mixed feedback. A good interviewer usually figures out in first half an hour whether the candidate is good or not.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

Began with a phone call with HR, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager; then was invited for on-site at Sunnyvale office. There were five interviewers (except the HR person) with one hour assigned to each of them.

Coding test was fairly easy. Other technical questions (mostly audio processing related) were reasonable and I answered as best as I could. Behavioral questions were also as expected (usual questions). I answered reasonably well. I still don't understand why I didn't get an offer. Except, as I recall, one interviewer seemed to have had a problem with me. He must have seen me or known of me from one of the conferences in the past. The problem was, he appeared to have a wrong idea about my background and specialty in my PhD. He was cynical about me not answering smoothly some of questions that were clearly out of my specialty several times and at the end he said 'you don't know this kind of stuff and teach at university?' I said, 'No that's not what I teach. I teach this, this and that courses.' Unfortunately the time was up and the next interviewer had to start; I had no way to clarify further or defend myself.

The reason I marked the interview experience negative, although there was nothing strikingly negative (except for this one guy), is the following. First, each interviewer seemed to have just too many interview questions they were trying to cover. One hour is too short to cover everything--coding, problem solving, other specific technical questions, and behavioral questions. Why was everyone trying to do everything (except the "bar raiser" who admitted he wasn't in the team but doing only the behavioral part)?

We all know that each of those behavioral questions is tough--they require some thinking and may take longer than 5-10 min to answer. Several times I felt I was being pushed to stop my answer in the middle because there was next question to move on. They seemed care less about finding out the true character of mine in those tough situations than getting answers scratching on the surface and checking their own list. What's the point then?

Oh, to make it worse, one of behavioral questions was asked by two interviewers (so obviously they do not coordinate questions to cover among themselves). I thought I answered well for the first time. I told the second interviewer that the question had been asked and I already gave my best answer. I asked him if I could answer similar way; he said, 'no, answer from a different angle.' F__. I had to squeeze my answer another way, which might not have been as good as the first one. I didn't feel bad about it on the spot, but in hindsight, this is another example of their failure to evaluate me appropriately because their inability to be flexible.

Second, I have 15 years of experience after PhD. This doesn't mean that I am more qualified for the job than someone with 5 years of experience; but surely I bring in different strengths (and weaknesses as well) from those guys. Shouldn't they check for those? After all, I was disappointed because my coding was only evaluated at a textbook level and I did not have an opportunity to demonstrate my real work through the years that I believe could be a contribution to them. For example, because the coding test during the phone interview was a breeze, I was expecting a more challenging one or an opportunity to brag about my work to them in person. Neither--I was given another set of easy coding questions. Of course, this wouldn't have been a problem if I was hired. But I wasn't, so it makes me wonder what they were trying to achieve through this whole process.

The worst of everything--they do not give feedback on their decision, per company policy. To me, it's like an adding insult to injury. I would really like to know why I was not hired, so I could improve. I guess it's fair--it's their prerogative not to give me feedback. Then it's equally fair for me to dislike them and especially this guy whom I am sure I will have a chance to interact in the future.

Interview Questions

• Draw a block diagram of _____ and describe each component   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2019.

Interview

1 OA
    1 Virtual Onsite
    1 Onsite
    Then you can get the result in 2 weeks
    The OA has 2 parts, one is the IQ test, the second one is programming, 2 question using java/c/c++

Interview Questions

• Number of islands?
      Behavior questions
      desgin the parking system   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email. I guess they found my resume from their database. Though I wasn't initially planning on interviewing with Amazon, I took this forward as I was already preparing for interviews. This was a standard process with phone screen followed by an onsite. I was interviewed for an 'L5' level I was told. The first phone interview was coding (as you might expect). 2 Leetcode and 1 that I had not previously seen in Leetcode. At this point I was notified by the recruiter that 2 teams were interested in me and I was put in what they called a "split-loop". The on-site was a standard 6-7 rounds. Pretty much all rounds had 1/2/3 Leet easy/med. But what surprised me was the time all interviewers spent in their Leadership Principle questions. Almost all rounds had 15-20 mins of these questions. So, an advice to candidates that come in for onsite is of course to do well in coding but to be mentally prepared to answer behavioral questions for 15-20 mins every hour. The STAR model that the recruiter shared with me helped a lot. The reason I find this strange is that when I went to onsite with FB, APPLE, NVDIA and a few startups, they wasted no time to test my technical skills. I spoke to my recruiter about this and in Amazon's defense what I was told was this - since Amazon lets engineers move teams, LP was the only concrete value they rely on. The recruiter got back to me the next day morning. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode, operating system, prior job experiences and most importantly their LP.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter. First round was an online assessment test once passed I was immediately scheduled for an on-site interview.
    On-site: There were five rounds of interviews. Each round consist of one behavioral question and one technical question.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms, Data Structure, Object Oriented Design, System Design   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Skipped the initial HR call
    Process:
    - Technical phone interview (A mix of behavioral and one leetcode medium level question) for 30 minutes.
    - 4 rounds onsite (1 behavioral and 4 technical)(45 mins each)
    The behavioral interviews focus on past experience and Amazon principles.
    The technical interviews involved one Leetcode hard question, a famous OOP design question and a system design question. Got a call from the recruiter the next day telling me that they were going to offer the position.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online in March and set up an initial phone screening with the hiring manager I'd be working for. I was asked some basic CS fundamentals questions such as choosing the appropriate data structure for a given task and give a high level overview of how I'd design a scalable system. The coding portion of the phone screening focused on object oriented design and basic concurrency. After the phone screening, I was invited onsite for an final round interview with 5 interviewers and lunch with a member of the team I would be joining. The interviews themselves were not difficult, but the questions were unexpected, mostly focusing on writing code to determine if a player had won particular well-known games. The "bar raiser" interview was slightly more difficult than the others, with a question involving trie construction and searching. One interviewer focused solely on systems design questions, while another asked purely HR-related questions pertaining to the Amazon leadership principles. All the interviewers were very friendly and were willing to talk through a problem with me when I was stuck. A recruiter reached out to me a few days later to let me know they were going to make me an offer and was extremely accommodating during my salary negotiation.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several questions that I didn't expect and couldn't really prepare for. I can't discuss specifics because of NDA, but they asked me to write code related to several games I've never played (mastermind, battleship, etc). The "bar raiser" interview was a more well-known CS problem involving tries. Each interviewer also asked me about a specific Amazon leadership principle and how it pertained to my current job.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me and scheduled for a phone interview. It was a rather bad experience and not at all professional. Phone screening was scheduled for 1hr. The interviewer called 30 mins late. I waited for 25 mins and sent a mail to recruiter saying i am waiting for the call but no one called, immediately the interviewer called after 5 mins. The interviewer started off with basic introduction and asked my background for 5 mins. She asked few very basic networking questions like difference between tcp and udp. After this she asked a coding question and shared a link to type the code. The question was very simple like given an array of integers and a query array. Find how many numbers are less than the numbers in query array. For ex - A[ ]={1,5,2,8,3} Q[ ] = {1,4,9} return {0, 3,5} i.e number of elements in A[ ] less than 1 are 0, less than 4 are 3 etc..First i explained brute force technique and she asked me to improvise it which i did and gave solution which she agreed and asked me to code. In between coding she had to change conference rooms, call got disconnected, she called again and i could hear other people on conference. It was a total mess. finally after 30 mins into interview she said we are done here and HR will contact you for next steps and after couple of days got a regret mail. I didn't expect this from Amazon Labs. They should seriously relook into their recruitment process..

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in August 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview
    Interview Called and started discussing about algorithms.

For installing a particular service:

A depends on B
    B depends on C
    D depends on C
    D depends on E

Which data structure is best and implement algorithm.

Interview Questions

• For installing a particular service:

A depends on B
      B depends on C
      D depends on C
      D depends on E

Which data structure is best and implement algorithm.   3 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

The phone interview by seatle office stood me up twice. Just told me had to reschdule no more than 15 minutes before the interview. And I was told "the interviewer has emergency....". I solved the coding problem during the third interview but still got rejected.

Interview Questions

• OOD: Design tables in restaurant.
      Division without division operator.   1 Answer