Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2018

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online in March and set up an initial phone screening with the hiring manager I'd be working for. I was asked some basic CS fundamentals questions such as choosing the appropriate data structure for a given task and give a high level overview of how I'd design a scalable system. The coding portion of the phone screening focused on object oriented design and basic concurrency. After the phone screening, I was invited onsite for an final round interview with 5 interviewers and lunch with a member of the team I would be joining. The interviews themselves were not difficult, but the questions were unexpected, mostly focusing on writing code to determine if a player had won particular well-known games. The "bar raiser" interview was slightly more difficult than the others, with a question involving trie construction and searching. One interviewer focused solely on systems design questions, while another asked purely HR-related questions pertaining to the Amazon leadership principles. All the interviewers were very friendly and were willing to talk through a problem with me when I was stuck. A recruiter reached out to me a few days later to let me know they were going to make me an offer and was extremely accommodating during my salary negotiation.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several questions that I didn't expect and couldn't really prepare for. I can't discuss specifics because of NDA, but they asked me to write code related to several games I've never played (mastermind, battleship, etc). The "bar raiser" interview was a more well-known CS problem involving tries. Each interviewer also asked me about a specific Amazon leadership principle and how it pertained to my current job.   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

* Skipped initial call from recruiter, direct call with senior security engineer. The call was for an hour about security issues from all stages in an SDLC in depth.
    * 9 days later got the call to fly for an onsite loop to Sunnyvale, California.
    * 7 interviews back to back with no break beside the accompanied lunch break.
    *Both technical and behavioral (leadership principles)
    *Questions were difficult and were mostly asked on topics I did not know about.
    *The interviewers were very patient and accommodating.
    *Got reject in 5 days
    *Will nail it the next time ;)

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

* Skipped initial HR screening
    *One week later one hour interview with sr security engineer. Security related questions in depth.
    *9 days later call for an onsite loop
    *7 interviews onsite on technical and behavioral aspects with one accompanied lunch break.
    *Technical questions on design and implementation and behavioral questions on leadership principles.
    *5 days later reject
    *Will try again ;)

Product Design Interview

Interview

I had 2 30-min interviews back to back. One of them was focused on the technical aspects of the job and the other was more focused on my previous experiences and soft skills.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Technical phone screen followed by an onsite interview.

Before you even proceed with the interview process, make sure you read the Glassdoor reviews of the company - they are spot on! I had the most unpleasant onsite interview experience at Amazon Lab126.

The HR coordinator had scheduled 6 interview slots with 7 interviewers, 30min each. 3 of the slots involved coding questions, 2 emphasized on project management, behavioral questions, etc., and the last session was more of a next steps overview with HR.
    The first person I got to interview with was awkward and unprofessional. First, he was hesitant to shake my hand when I introduced myself. He gave me a coding question which I started solving by brute-forcing it first, and after 5 minutes into it he became annoyed, and ended the coding session; asked another question and left the room 7 min early, leaving me to wait by myself in the interview room (interviewers are supposed to wait for the next interviewer to come in before they leave). You can only image how motivated I was to proceed with the interview process after that.

In another session, I was scheduled to speak with two interviewers - one of them was not even interested in speaking with me, and would type on their computer during the whole session - I guess it was too much for the other guy to interview me and record notes at the same time so they needed a second person in there.

My lunch break was awkward as well since they paired me with some employee who was not even on the team I was interviewing for. I tried to make small talk and learn more about the work, and company culture, but the employee seemed to lack both ambition, and interest in their own work.
    There were a couple of decent, genuine people who I interviewed with that day, and they both struggled to give me good answers to the question "What is the best thing about working at Amazon Lab126?" Their answers concluded with the "it is a good stepping stone" - what most of the Glassdoor reviews read.

The last straw for me was the final interview session with the HR. The individual was the coldest, unfriendly HR employee I had ever met. Everything they talked about ended with emphasizing how grateful one should be about working at amazon (I was already working at a 500 fortune company). The funny part was when they concluded with the great perk of getting 10% off of any amazon device (that's like what, $10 off?)

Amazon Lab126 also seems to lack diversity; if you're not Indian, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

It was a waste of my time and energy; would not recommend.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Amazon Lab126 contacted me for an interview after I gave them my resume at my campus career fair and attended an info session for them. They came to my town and set up a day of interviews for all the candidates at my college, and allowed us to pick a time during the day from several time slots. There were two 45 minute in person interviews that were behavioral and technical. Both interviewers asked me about past experience from my resume, and went into detail about the internships and projects I had done. There were a few very basic technical questions (ie low pass filters). The environment was overall relaxed and I felt very comfortable speaking with both interviewers, they were nice people and very welcoming to questions at the end of the interview. They told me they would let me know in a month, and were accommodating to letting you know sooner if you had other offers with deadlines. I got a phone call with the offer a month later.

Interview Questions

• Draw a low pass filter and explain how it works.   Answer Question
    • They asked about a boost regulator vs an LDO, but I think they only asked that because I had worked with both on a past project.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me and scheduled for a phone interview. It was a rather bad experience and not at all professional. Phone screening was scheduled for 1hr. The interviewer called 30 mins late. I waited for 25 mins and sent a mail to recruiter saying i am waiting for the call but no one called, immediately the interviewer called after 5 mins. The interviewer started off with basic introduction and asked my background for 5 mins. She asked few very basic networking questions like difference between tcp and udp. After this she asked a coding question and shared a link to type the code. The question was very simple like given an array of integers and a query array. Find how many numbers are less than the numbers in query array. For ex - A[ ]={1,5,2,8,3} Q[ ] = {1,4,9} return {0, 3,5} i.e number of elements in A[ ] less than 1 are 0, less than 4 are 3 etc..First i explained brute force technique and she asked me to improvise it which i did and gave solution which she agreed and asked me to code. In between coding she had to change conference rooms, call got disconnected, she called again and i could hear other people on conference. It was a total mess. finally after 30 mins into interview she said we are done here and HR will contact you for next steps and after couple of days got a regret mail. I didn't expect this from Amazon Labs. They should seriously relook into their recruitment process..

Electrical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

The process was very efficient, quick, and stress-free. I felt like the interviewers used fair assessments of my readiness for the position despite not being given an offer. Overall very satisfied with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation in which you could not make a deadline for a project?   Answer Question

SDE1 Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

University hire, had three rounds
    1) Online Assessment (20 aptitude + 4 programming questions)
    2) Telephonic Interview - 30 minutes (asked very simple questions based on online assessment)
    3) Online evaluation around Amazon's principles
    Got the Offer in Email after around 20 days.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Phone interview after initial call from recruiter. Phone interview was supposed to be for 45 minutes but went on for 1 hour and 45 minutes with an hour of technical discussion. I did the interview extremely well, only to get rejected in 2 days. No idea what happened internally that caused them to not move forward with the process.