Bain & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2018
1,116 Interview Reviews

3.6

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The interview was friendly and consisted of some personal (leadership, experience, etc.) questions and cases. The cases were interesting and novel, and the interviewers seemed to really want to get to know me. They were also open about their experiences at the firm.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience you had leading a team.   1 Answer

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I sent in my resume and got a reply back in an email asking me to interview in their LA office. It was quick and efficient. They also reimburse your travel if you're out of state which is very nice.

Interview Questions

• They asked me the standard market based questions, how many tires from cars or something along those lines. I made a mistake on my mental math and was immediately dismissed from passing the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Bain & Company rarely interviews PhD candidates for associate positions, so I was surprised and flattered to land this interview at all. I attribute my success mainly to meeting a partner from Bain & Company for coffee who was one of the first PhD hires ever at Bain and also an alumnus at the institute where I am pursuing graduate studies. This partner was so impressed with me that she/he told me I had to apply.

The interview was standard consulting fare. There were two back-to-back case interviews. The first one with with an engagement-manger level associate, and the second one was with a principal level consultant. I had great rapport with my first interviewer; he even told me about the time half the office dressed up like vikings and "pillaged" the other employers with plastic weaponry. My first interviewer even remarked that I was not their typical interviewee, but he noted that the partner I met had recommended me.

From the start, my second interviewer seemed disinterested in me in general. He gave me a case, but he preceding it by telling me it would not very serious or structured. He delivered on his promise and the case was pretty open-ended. He didn't even ask me to sum up my findings when it was over. We had some pleasant Q&A after the case, but I could sense that he was just clearly not interested in hiring me.

The nicest thing about Bain & Company is that they call you right away. They don't leave you hanging in any sense; I got the rejection call that same evening--I was expecting a rejection of course. My first interviewer made the call--no doubt since he actually like me. He told me it was great to meet me, but that I wasn't "at the level they needed me to be at" for a call-back to interview for round two. I'm not sure that feedback was particularly helpful, but I did appreciate the quick phone call.

Interview Questions

• A major chemical distribution firm wants to grow its business. How to approach outlining a growth strategy for them?   1 Answer
    • A major casino company has been losing revenues over the past two years. How would you approach figuring out why?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2008.

Interview

The interview consisted of two one on one interviews. Each interview was thirty minutes long and consisted of some personal questions and then a quick case. Interviewers were very polite. There were other students interviewing at the same time throughout the whole day. They let you know the results the next day.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for bain   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First Round Interview: Two case interviews. I completely failed one of them and did all right with the other. Basically, I was ill-prepared and not comfortable with being able to think structurally. However, the Bain consultants were extremely friendly and supportive and provided great feedback and support.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online. First round interview in NYC office. 2 30-minute cases.

Interview Questions

• Normal profitability case. Most difficult questions are brainstorming questions that test creativity. Quantitative questions are easy.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

I applied for an international office, received a phone interview but was conducted by an US office. there were two back to back phone interviews. Each were 30 minutes. two different people called in. The first one we just jumped into the case right away. The second one asked me to tell him about myself.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2015.

Interview

1st round interviews on campus. 2nd round on campus if selected. Both first round interviews consisted of a case. Neither focused on behavioral aspect. Pleasant experience overall, really great people at the firm but highly competitive.

Interview Questions

• Case involving private equity purchasing a private chain of companies.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

The Bain interview process is similar to other strategy consulting firms. It was a case interview and the impressive thing about it was the guy who interviewed me designed a case on the fly based on my resume. I thought that was impressive and spoke to the culture of Bain as being innovative, smart and saavy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Before the interview, I networked lightly. I spoke to Bainies at coffee chats, spoke with Bainies by phone, and composed an informed cover letter. The interview involved standard casing and market sizing. The longest case introduced involved an amusement park example.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews. Each interviewer started off by asking a couple of standard behavioral questions. Then they followed up with two cases. The cases were not super complicated but the numbers were tricky.