Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Epic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in January 2010.

Interview

Very personality based interview. Will ask you little, if any, about your previous work experience or anything on your resume. Applicants are required to make a ten minute presentation on a topic of their choice, and they are evaluated and the clarity and organization of the presentation. This part is a big deal in my opinion. Also has a case study component.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in November 2009.

Interview

I was first contacted via email to schedule a phone interview and to take an online personality test. The questions on the personality test were fairly standard and mainly consisted of questions regarding how I would act in different situations / management style. During the phone interview I was asked basic questions about why I attended the University that I am studying at (I was a senior at the time), how I chose my major, what I am looking for a in a job, and questions regarding my resume. It took approximately 30 minutes. The interviewer was pretty friendly and was happy to talk about his experience working for the company.

The day after my phone interview I was contacted again via email with an invitation to interview on site. The email stated that I would receive more details in a few days. When I was contacted again I was told that the on-site interview would consist of the following:

• Tour and overview of Epic
    • Demo of our software
    • Overview and interview with a Project Management team member
    • Lunch with an Epic employee
    • Interview and wrap up with your recruiter
    • General logic based assessmentshttp://www.glassdoor.com/survey/interview/collectProcess_input.htm
    • 10 minute Presentation on any topic; PowerPoint not allowed

Epic paid for my flight, lodging, and dinner on the day that I arrived in Madison. The cab drivers back and forth from the airport / HQ were very enthusiastic about Epic being a good place to work and suggested that Epic was very well respected in the Madison community. They seemed to be very knowledgeable about the history of Epic and its favorable contributions to the city.

Upon arrival to the HQ I was very impressed with the size of the facility, particularly because it is located in such a remote location. The architecture was very unique and post-modern, a theme that was prevalent in the random pieces of art that could be found throughout the building. I was excited to see that every few feet a new piece of art could be found that could only be described as "one of a kind". The employees very friendly and appeared to be very happy with their jobs.

There were two interviews on site,. One was mainly a case study in which I played the role of a project manager dealing with problems with a client. If you know anything about conflict management one should do very well. The second interview had more fit questions and, similar to the personality test, consisted of questions regarding how one would handle various situations.

Overall the job seems to be very easy, without a large workload (50-60 hours a week). The pay seems pretty good, especially considering that one would be living in WI. One aspect that can be considered a pro / con is that the job requires lots of traveling (50%). It seems like a pro because one would get lots of frequent flyer miles and would have lots of opportunities to see the country, but it might get tiring to fly out every week / eating in restaurants every night might get tiring.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

It was a difficult and very thorough interview process. I am probably in the minority, but I actually enjoyed it.

The process consisted of several steps:

1. Submit resume online,
    2. Brief telephone interview,
    3. On-site interview - one on one with a PM, assessment tests (challenging), presentation (I worried too much about this), and another one on one interview.
    4. Telephone call and job offer.

General impressions/comments -

1. The campus is very nice. I read some of the negative reviews and I have to say that I prefer scattered art and unique conference room themes at Epic to sagging ceiling tiles, dirty cubes and buzzing flourescent lights I've seen at other companies.

2. It is a high energy place. Everyone walks with purpose and seems busy. Personally, I like that, especially considering the opposite side of the spectrum. Imagine the opposite of state employees. No offense to state employees, but c'mon, we both know you can move a little faster than that.

3. I feel everyone I met with was honest about the job. Nothing they said contridicted most of the things I have read about Epic. They work hard. Again personally , I think having too much work is way better than too little. Believe me, too little means you should be looking for another job.

4. They offered me a job and I'm over thirty, married, etc. A few of the people interviewing at the same time I was are much older than me. I just wanted to mention that.

Overall I am impressed with the recruiting process, and very impressed with the recruiters I worked with, the employees I met, and the relocation process.

I realize this is a pretty rosy review, but after working for some craptacular companies over the years, I am ready and eager to try a different approach.

Interview Questions

• It was over a month ago, I can't remember specific questions - sorry.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes and no. They inquire about salary, but their offer exceeded my salary "requirements" by about 8k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in March 2010.

Interview

First, I was interviewed on campus. The rep said that he had initially decided to take the job and work a year, but ended up loving it. This was repeated by other Epic employees.
    Then, I was flown out to Madison. They take you out to dinner and put you up in a nice hotel, footing cab and food bills.

The campus is really unique- kind of looks like a college. It is about 40 min away from Madison. There are two interviews, some presentations/software demos, and you give a 10 min presentation on any topic of your choice. Pretty standard interview questions and a case study.

Epic is a fast-growing company and it offers some great, unusual benefits. The people seem very friendly.

Interview Questions

Downsides: it seems like a lot of people leave after a couple years. it is surrounded by farmland.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

The phone interview was exactly as stated on here. The interview questions are also EXACTLY the same as stated on here and everywhere else. Do not worry about these components.

The few parts I didn't do as well on (and I think carry a little more weight) are the presentation, tests, and college record. I've read everywhere that the programming test (for project manager candidates) is easy, but I definitely struggled, and I consider myself strong technically/mathematically. I also picked the wrong presentation topic and ended up a little flustered.

I went out to eat with other candidates the night before, but I sincerely don't think they keep track of or care whether you choose this option or not. They will ask you all day long to ask questions of them, so be prepared. It was a really fun experience and everyone who interviews seems miraculously smart and somewhat like-minded!

The last thing I can remember and want to mention is that they'll ask you a million times about your assertiveness. I strongly got the feeling they WANT assertive people. I asked one of my interviewers later and she confirmed the epic people are "type A personalities who feel compelled to voice their opinions". Hope this helps...

Interview Questions

• What are 5 things you're not?   1 Answer
    • How critical are you of others' mistakes? What percent of the time would you point them out?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview starts with a phone 'consultation' which really just tells you about the job and if you would like to come to madison for an interview. no real questions here, just going over the resume and job.
    Now comes the fun. They fly you out, put you up in a nice hotel and take you out to some awesome restaurant. basically they don't want you to fear the smaller-town, which it really is. the next day you have many tests, exams, 1 on 1 situations, a presentation, and finally a more standard interview. I think they want to stress you and get a feeling how you handle it...and perform. You must be outgoing, interesting, and smart. Your exact skills/degree dont matter, as long as you engage them and seem like a fit you have a shot. However, realize majority get no offer...if you do, it is hard to say no. Salary+benefits are top notch, they rival IB's and the like but living in wisconsin in so much cheaper. it will be hard but the place is rolling in cash...amazing right now.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, set. however they pay well so if you argue you are probably an idiot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in June 2010.

Interview

1. Initially sent resume via Epic website
    2. Received email from HR 3 days later requesting a phone interview
    3. 2 days later had a phone interview
    4. 1 week later went to Madison, WI for on-site interview
         Arrived in Madison, was taken out to eat with a current employee
         Next day cab took me to beautiful Epic campus
         Had to give a presentation on a topic of my choosing
         Got a tour of the awesome campus
         Ate lunch
         2 one-on-one interviews (one was situational and one was behavioral)
         Took a 2 hour long test (math, reading skills, and generic programming skills)
    5. 4 days later received a call to make an offer

Interview Questions

Project life cycle at Epic is oftentimes over a year long. I am looking for shorter term projects

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in June 2010.

Interview

Step 1: apply online
    Step 2: online personality test
    Step 3: phone interview
    Step 4: writing assessment/skills test

My Epic contact seemed disorganized and even sent me the wrong proctor contact information and site location for the writing assessment/skills test.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking to start your career or go back to school?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

Phone interview is easy. On site is more intense, still laid back, but tests were difficult!

Application

Interview

Interview through University Recruiting. Pretty simple and straight forward. They asked mainly logistical questions: why your major, GPA, ACT/SAT scores, why this company, what are you looking for, etc. They interview a lot of people as mine was in person but I know other who had phone interviews. I think they are basically looking for fit and willingness to travel.

Interview Questions

• How assertive are you on a scale of 1-10 with 5 being the average assertiveness?   Answer Question