Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions

557 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in January 2010.

Interview

Very personality based interview. Will ask you little, if any, about your previous work experience or anything on your resume. Applicants are required to make a ten minute presentation on a topic of their choice, and they are evaluated and the clarity and organization of the presentation. This part is a big deal in my opinion. Also has a case study component.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in November 2009.

Interview

I was first contacted via email to schedule a phone interview and to take an online personality test. The questions on the personality test were fairly standard and mainly consisted of questions regarding how I would act in different situations / management style. During the phone interview I was asked basic questions about why I attended the University that I am studying at (I was a senior at the time), how I chose my major, what I am looking for a in a job, and questions regarding my resume. It took approximately 30 minutes. The interviewer was pretty friendly and was happy to talk about his experience working for the company.

The day after my phone interview I was contacted again via email with an invitation to interview on site. The email stated that I would receive more details in a few days. When I was contacted again I was told that the on-site interview would consist of the following:

• Tour and overview of Epic
    • Demo of our software
    • Overview and interview with a Project Management team member
    • Lunch with an Epic employee
    • Interview and wrap up with your recruiter
    • General logic based assessmentshttp://www.glassdoor.com/survey/interview/collectProcess_input.htm
    • 10 minute Presentation on any topic; PowerPoint not allowed

Epic paid for my flight, lodging, and dinner on the day that I arrived in Madison. The cab drivers back and forth from the airport / HQ were very enthusiastic about Epic being a good place to work and suggested that Epic was very well respected in the Madison community. They seemed to be very knowledgeable about the history of Epic and its favorable contributions to the city.

Upon arrival to the HQ I was very impressed with the size of the facility, particularly because it is located in such a remote location. The architecture was very unique and post-modern, a theme that was prevalent in the random pieces of art that could be found throughout the building. I was excited to see that every few feet a new piece of art could be found that could only be described as "one of a kind". The employees very friendly and appeared to be very happy with their jobs.

There were two interviews on site,. One was mainly a case study in which I played the role of a project manager dealing with problems with a client. If you know anything about conflict management one should do very well. The second interview had more fit questions and, similar to the personality test, consisted of questions regarding how one would handle various situations.

Overall the job seems to be very easy, without a large workload (50-60 hours a week). The pay seems pretty good, especially considering that one would be living in WI. One aspect that can be considered a pro / con is that the job requires lots of traveling (50%). It seems like a pro because one would get lots of frequent flyer miles and would have lots of opportunities to see the country, but it might get tiring to fly out every week / eating in restaurants every night might get tiring.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview starts with a phone 'consultation' which really just tells you about the job and if you would like to come to madison for an interview. no real questions here, just going over the resume and job.
    Now comes the fun. They fly you out, put you up in a nice hotel and take you out to some awesome restaurant. basically they don't want you to fear the smaller-town, which it really is. the next day you have many tests, exams, 1 on 1 situations, a presentation, and finally a more standard interview. I think they want to stress you and get a feeling how you handle it...and perform. You must be outgoing, interesting, and smart. Your exact skills/degree dont matter, as long as you engage them and seem like a fit you have a shot. However, realize majority get no offer...if you do, it is hard to say no. Salary+benefits are top notch, they rival IB's and the like but living in wisconsin in so much cheaper. it will be hard but the place is rolling in cash...amazing right now.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, set. however they pay well so if you argue you are probably an idiot.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

It was a difficult and very thorough interview process. I am probably in the minority, but I actually enjoyed it.

The process consisted of several steps:

1. Submit resume online,
    2. Brief telephone interview,
    3. On-site interview - one on one with a PM, assessment tests (challenging), presentation (I worried too much about this), and another one on one interview.
    4. Telephone call and job offer.

General impressions/comments -

1. The campus is very nice. I read some of the negative reviews and I have to say that I prefer scattered art and unique conference room themes at Epic to sagging ceiling tiles, dirty cubes and buzzing flourescent lights I've seen at other companies.

2. It is a high energy place. Everyone walks with purpose and seems busy. Personally, I like that, especially considering the opposite side of the spectrum. Imagine the opposite of state employees. No offense to state employees, but c'mon, we both know you can move a little faster than that.

3. I feel everyone I met with was honest about the job. Nothing they said contridicted most of the things I have read about Epic. They work hard. Again personally , I think having too much work is way better than too little. Believe me, too little means you should be looking for another job.

4. They offered me a job and I'm over thirty, married, etc. A few of the people interviewing at the same time I was are much older than me. I just wanted to mention that.

Overall I am impressed with the recruiting process, and very impressed with the recruiters I worked with, the employees I met, and the relocation process.

I realize this is a pretty rosy review, but after working for some craptacular companies over the years, I am ready and eager to try a different approach.

Interview Questions

• It was over a month ago, I can't remember specific questions - sorry.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes and no. They inquire about salary, but their offer exceeded my salary "requirements" by about 8k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in March 2010.

Interview

First, I was interviewed on campus. The rep said that he had initially decided to take the job and work a year, but ended up loving it. This was repeated by other Epic employees.
    Then, I was flown out to Madison. They take you out to dinner and put you up in a nice hotel, footing cab and food bills.

The campus is really unique- kind of looks like a college. It is about 40 min away from Madison. There are two interviews, some presentations/software demos, and you give a 10 min presentation on any topic of your choice. Pretty standard interview questions and a case study.

Epic is a fast-growing company and it offers some great, unusual benefits. The people seem very friendly.

Interview Questions

Downsides: it seems like a lot of people leave after a couple years. it is surrounded by farmland.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

The phone interview was exactly as stated on here. The interview questions are also EXACTLY the same as stated on here and everywhere else. Do not worry about these components.

The few parts I didn't do as well on (and I think carry a little more weight) are the presentation, tests, and college record. I've read everywhere that the programming test (for project manager candidates) is easy, but I definitely struggled, and I consider myself strong technically/mathematically. I also picked the wrong presentation topic and ended up a little flustered.

I went out to eat with other candidates the night before, but I sincerely don't think they keep track of or care whether you choose this option or not. They will ask you all day long to ask questions of them, so be prepared. It was a really fun experience and everyone who interviews seems miraculously smart and somewhat like-minded!

The last thing I can remember and want to mention is that they'll ask you a million times about your assertiveness. I strongly got the feeling they WANT assertive people. I asked one of my interviewers later and she confirmed the epic people are "type A personalities who feel compelled to voice their opinions". Hope this helps...

Interview Questions

• What are 5 things you're not?   1 Answer
    • How critical are you of others' mistakes? What percent of the time would you point them out?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in June 2010.

Interview

Step 1: apply online
    Step 2: online personality test
    Step 3: phone interview
    Step 4: writing assessment/skills test

My Epic contact seemed disorganized and even sent me the wrong proctor contact information and site location for the writing assessment/skills test.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking to start your career or go back to school?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in June 2010.

Interview

1. Initially sent resume via Epic website
    2. Received email from HR 3 days later requesting a phone interview
    3. 2 days later had a phone interview
    4. 1 week later went to Madison, WI for on-site interview
         Arrived in Madison, was taken out to eat with a current employee
         Next day cab took me to beautiful Epic campus
         Had to give a presentation on a topic of my choosing
         Got a tour of the awesome campus
         Ate lunch
         2 one-on-one interviews (one was situational and one was behavioral)
         Took a 2 hour long test (math, reading skills, and generic programming skills)
    5. 4 days later received a call to make an offer

Interview Questions

Project life cycle at Epic is oftentimes over a year long. I am looking for shorter term projects

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in August 2010.

Interview

I applied online, submitting my resume & cover letter. Within 1 week I had a phone interview. It was informal & took about 40 minutes. The focus was on my education background & not my work experience, but there were a few questions asked about my experience. I was asked for my start dates and graduation dates from college and graduate school, if I completed undegrad in 4 years, why I chose my course of study, etc. I was also asked if I went directly from HS to undergrad. This shouldn't have been asked & raised some red flags to me - essentially that type of question can be used to roughly figure out a candidate's age, which then raises the issue of age discrimination during the hiring process (I'm not saying it does or does not happen). The questions about my job history were basic - what did you enjoy most at your past/current employer, why did you leave one job to go to another, etc.
    After 2 days, I was contacted to set up an on-site visit. I was flown out, put up in the Madison Concourse Hotel & had all my meals & transportation covered. I had dinner with an Epic employee (partly for a free meal & partly to learn more about Epic outside the "corporate setting"). When you arrive for your interview/visit, the new campus is amazing, I've never been on a corporate campus that compares to the park like setting they have developed. After you check in, you meet up with a group of other candidates for the initial activities (every candidate I met had just graduated from college). Here's what to expect during the day: 1) A corporate overview, it provided a minimal amount of information on Epic & the industry that isn't currently available to the public. 2) A "campus tour" consisting of walking through the main building & looking out the windows at the campus. 3) A product demo of the end user functionality of the software (it's not anything special). 4) A "position overview" with 2 other candidates from a current project manager. You'll get a better feel for the position, but the information will still be rather vague (i.e. a question like "what's the travel schedule really like?" gets the boiler plate 50% to 60% travel). 5) A 1:1 interview with a project manager to discuss a very banal situation analysis. You get the opportunity to ask questions of this interviewer though & from this interview I was given some travel specifics - it depends on what the customer will pay for, you may travel 3 days a wk every wk (leaving Mon. returning Thurs. night) until the installation is complete - that's not 50-60%, that's darn near 100% - or you may travel very little. 6) A 10 minute presentation; nothing to be worried about if you pick a topic your knowledgeable on. 7) Skills assessment tests (you may have done these already). These are nothing terrible, but can be a bit tricky. 8) Lunch with a project manager. 9) A wrap-up/final interview with an HR recruiter. The HR recruiter will ask you some odd questions like "name 5 things you are not." All in all, the interview process isn't out of the ordinary.
    Ten days after the visit I was told that I'd be getting an offer & that I needed to fill out some information for a background check before the offer could be made.

Some other impressions of the company/position I got from the visit:
    1.Epic is a very young company. I'm in my mid-late 20s & felt old walking around the campus. My guess is that at least 66% of employees were hired right out of college with no job experience & are under the age of 26.
    2. Epic truly means it when they say casual dress. I don't mean casual like jeans & a polo, I'm talking "oh crap I'm late for class/work! What's on my floor that looks clean?" causal. I saw a very high number of employees in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops (much of which was dirty looking, faded, ripped, etc.). Also, many employees had scraggly, unkempt long hair and/or facial hair & numerous facial piercing (not just earrings). It looked more like a college campus than a business.
    3. The project manager position is really a field based operations position. But you have to live in Madison, everyone does. Think about traveling from a small regional airport every week, & imagine the problems that can cause (my flight out was delayed an hour because they couldn't get another plane quickly, causing me to miss my connection - we had no weather related problems).
    4. Very secretive, as evidenced by all employees having to sign a non-compete (not just those with knowledge of the proprietary coding) that isn't totally enforceable.
    5. Based on information from people on campus I talked with, the project manager position has a very high turnover/burnout rate. Given that, do you really want to have to move to Madison where there is no industry (meaning you'd have to move again to find another job)?

Interview Questions

There are a number of reasons the I declines the offer. As an aside, while being presented the package I had to refrain from laughing as most of the "perks" are the same at any company. Overall, the offer was underwhelming (especially the pay for my background).

1. Pay offered was $66,000 with a built in $2,000 raise upon completing your training (basically an incentive to train, but the offer is presented initially w/ the higher number, which is a bit deceptive). For someone with an MBA, relevant and recent job experience (plus being currently employed) who would have to move his family across the country from the CA coast to the middle of WI, $68,000 in base pay was laughable. From what I understand new grad don't get offered nearly that much (think closer to $55K). Believe me, you can live in better parts of the country than central WI and make more money with fewer qualification than mine.

2. They offer 401K matching of 50% to your contributions up to the first 6% of your income that you contribute - any company worth its weight offers this exact same thing (Epic presented this as a unique benefit).

3. Stock appreciation rights - not totally sure how this works within a private company, but at almost any pubic company you can purchase stock through an ESPP at a discounted rate (and sell it at full market value, thus making you $$). At Epic it sounded like you'd have to pay full price for the stock you buy, and there is no "public market" to sell it to (and seemingly never will be as the company never intends to go public).

4. Health care options are alright. While you pay no deductible, no copay and nearly all medical costs are covered 100%, the amount deducted from a pay check for a family isn't significantly different from most other companies and your RX costs are basically the same as with the plans at other companies.

5. Your health care providers are limited to one of three HMOs Epic contracts with (no PPO options). None of these had great accessibility outside of the immediate Madison area, not even in Verona. Personally, I hate HMOs as they tend to be inefficient and a pain in the butt to deal with. Needless to say, this was another big turn off for me.

6. Bonuses for a project manager are screwy and not performance based. You get travel bonuses that begin after your 15th trip to a customer site (if you travel every week to 1 site, that comes out to traveling every week for 3 months and 3 weeks straight to get your fist bonus) and another bonus that begins after spending 40 days at customer sites (assuming 3 days a week at a site, your looking at more than 3 months again before you get a bonus). But there is nothing based on the quality of the job you do (or the time frame of completion). That tells you how much they expect you to travel and how little your actual performance matters. It also means very little work-life balance.

7. You have to live in the Madison area regardless of your position. This makes little sense for sales reps and project managers as they are expected to travel and at any other company would be field based employees. Why not have regional office locations for the field folks if you really want them in an office?

8. When hired, regardless of experience, a project manager is first an application coordinator, reporting to an application manager. I was older, had more education and more experienced than every application manager I met. Now why would I want to go work for a "boss" with less education and less experience who is younger than me?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in January 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to apply for the "Problem-Solver (Technical Services/Customer Consultant)" position. I submitted an online application for Project Manager/Implementation Consultant, completed a Rembrandt profile, and had a phone interview approximately one week later. Eight days later, I was invited for an on-site interview, and visited Epic approximately ten days after that.

The on site interview consisted of a company overview, software demonstration, two small group meetings with current employees, two one-on-one case study based interviews, a ten minute presentation to four current employees, an hour long interview with an HR representative, and three assessments. Some of the other candidates had already completed the assessments before arriving at Epic, but I had no idea about them until that morning.

The assessments consisted of one SAT Math type problem set, one SAT Verbal type problem set, and one programming based problem set. All assessments were scored based on the speed and accuracy of the answers, so I was told to complete them as correctly and quickly as possible. As a result, I made a couple of educated guesses rather than spending ten minutes on a single problem and deriving the correct answer. The math assessment included some number puzzles. The verbal assessment included analogies, correcting improper grammar in given sentences, and a verbal reasoning section. The programming assessment led me through a fictional language and asked what certain functions would return, if anything.

I received an offer three business days later. The offer was towards the upper end of my salary expectations.

Interview Questions

I'm still considering the offer, but there were certain aspects of the work that I did not like. The employees seem like they are worked very hard, and the consultants seem to have little personal time even when they are not traveling. Although a casual dress code is nice, I felt it was a bit too casual at Epic. I saw some employees with wrinkled clothing, wet or unkempt hair, etc. The average age of the workers seems to be upper twenties, which to me seems a bit young.