J D Wetherspoon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J D Wetherspoon Interview Questions

Updated Nov 28, 2017

2.2

Bar Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Saint Albans, England (UK)).

Interview

45-minute face to face There looking for friendly personalities. There is criteria that you must at least smile 3 times. The interview follows a procedure on a sheet. Everything at J D Weatherspoon has a procedure.

Interview Questions

• It was a long time ago but they were mainly about past experience and teamwork.   Answer Question

Kitchen Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Interview

Applied online, called for interview, took the interview, took a trial shift and received a job offer. Very quick, efficient and straightforward. The manager did not write anything down but then I realised he wanted to pay attention to what I was saying.

Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Liverpool, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

It wasn't really an interview, it was addressed as an informal chat. The pub manager and his Kitchen Manager sat in a small office, reading questions from a sheet of paper.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us what difficulties you would find working at Wetherspoons?   Answer Question

Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was great and went very well, I answered all questions well that I was offered a trial shift afterward. After my trial shift one of the MANAGERS took me to the side and said he would be glad to employ me and said he would be in touch in 2 DAYS. 2 days pass and I had not yet received a call, so I had to get in touch with them 5 days after my shift and they told me they would phone the next dayas the manager who interviewed me and looked after me during my trial shift was not in that day. Another 4 days after I had phoned passed, so I took it upon myself to phone back, a manager answered and apologized and said he'd phone back within 5 minutes and tell me whats going on. No phone call back just an email telling me that I didn't get the job when after my trial shift the manager was planning on putting me on the rota in 2 weeks. I have declined interviews after my trial shift as I was made to believe I already had the job. Very disappointed about the outcome and very unprofessional. I will never visit this Wetherspoons, The Esquire again.

Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Went for the 1030 interview and was told the manager couldn't interview me, so someone else would have to. The pub wasn't busy. Nevertheless, I waited half an hour before someone came and sat down. "What is your name?" He asked, in a heavy foreign accent. "What days can you work?" He wrote the answers down, then he told me he couldn't continue the interview because he didn't have a clue what he was supposed to do. Fine. He then told me to call the pub on the same day so the manager could interview me a second time. So that was it and I left the pub.

The same day, as instructed, I called the pub and asked about my interview. "Oh, don't pressure us," I was told, "We'll let you know later in the week, we have many other candidates." It then occurred to me that the 'interview' I had just been to might be the only chance I would get at this pub. Perhaps the guy wrote my name down on his sheet and tossed it in the bin, then told the manager I hadn't turned up to the interview.
    After some duress, she promised they would get back to me later in the week. Almost two weeks have passed since. I haven't heard back from the pub about a subsequent interview or whatever. To be honest, I'm not sure whether to bother calling back, if this is how this pub treats their (prospective) employees.

The moral of the story is: not all Wetherspoon pubs are like this. On the contrary I have met some reasonable people who have (nevertheless) rejected my application. There is, however, a legitimate process for these things.

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Manchester City Centre, England (UK)).

Interview

Quite long. 30-40 minutes.. make sure you smile at least 3 times (rumour has it they don't employ you if not). Do look for personality but a lot of questions about experience and what you could bring to the company.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about wetherspoons pubs?
      Name one time you exceeded a customers expectations.   Answer Question

Shift Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Interview

Sit down chat with the area manager and pub manager. I was made to feel very comfortable from the start with which made answering the questions easier. It was standard management questions and easy to answer if you've been in a manager position before.

Bar Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Interview

Quick, brief and not very in depth, just asked about me and what I think I could bring to the role and why did I want to work for spoons. Obviously can't ask you how well you can pour a pint in an interview, so whole thing is very personality based

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work for Spoons   1 Answer

Kitchen Porter Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Interview

Applied for the position online and the next day got a phone call to arrange an interview. Was interviewed by 2 people in a quiet part of the pub. Over all The manager was very kind.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with and overcome any challenges you are confronted with while working here?   Answer Question

Kitchen Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Interview

Was sat down in a room of other people being interviewed, the manager of the pub was sat opposite me and next to him someone writing notes down. Overall, the interview was a bit tense and they were simply reading questions off of their list.

Interview Questions

• If a customer says their chips are cold, how should you respond?   1 Answer