John Hancock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Registered Principal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at John Hancock (Saint Petersburg, FL).

Interview

Very timely, received an email to set up a phone screening with recruiter 2 days after applying. Basic questions regarding salary expectations, distance to office, tell me about yourself, and tell me why you want this role. Formal interview scheduled day after phone interview. Offer followed the day after the formal interview. Interview questions were structured around challenges and expectations of the position and working environment, didn't waste time with basic questions regarding strengths, weaknesses, or silly questions to throw you off. Had ability to demonstrate strengths and ability to excel in role through other questions in the interview. Good structured interview tailored to getting to know you as an applicant and your ability to perform in the given role and contribute to the team/company. Standard one hour block interview with one manager, although ours did run a bit longer. Potential for second interview with other management staff depending on position and initial interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?   Answer Question
    • (Since management would be at a different location) Questions regarding work environment preferences, comfort level working with offsite management, management styles etc   Answer Question
    • (Since position requires client & internal dept interaction) Tell me about a time (e.g. demonstrating passion for providing client-centric solutions / went above and beyond assisting colleague)   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you disagreed with a decision by management / by another department. (Two similar questions)   Answer Question

Apr 4, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review. We certainly take pride in what we do and are happy to hear that you are having a great experience with us!

Computer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in January 2009.

Interview

1:1 meeting with peer and manager

Interview Questions

• None difficult or unexpected - no "interview games" like at some companies such as sell me this pen, which is stupid.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They pay well if you are experienced and back up that experience with good work

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

It was fairly straightforward and easy. I met one on one with two of the managers. The managers at the branch level didn't ask very many technical questions.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

Jul 23, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review. Congratulations on your accepted offer!

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

Sit down interview with each attorney. Each person met for 15-20 minutes and asked the same questions; everyone was very busy with their own work. The interview process seemed to have been sprung on them.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example of a time you had to overcome adversity and solve a problem.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

Interview process was very different from what I had experienced previously. In the first round, I met with 5 directors in a 1.5 hour interview, where all of them sat and asked me questions altogether. Then for the second round, I met 5 analyst (junior folks!) for a 1.5 hour interview (same format). The interview questions were mostly behavioral (some were technical). Interviewers were very pleasant and patient and gave me a good overview of the company and the job.

Associate Actuary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in November 2008.

Interview

phone screen then on site.

Interview Questions

• Technical question I do not know   1 Answer

Negotiation

Hard to negotiate

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, not very technical. More worried about fit. If you're smart enough you can easily pick it up. I met with most members of the team I would be working with.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

May 25, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Congratulations on your accepted offer!

Junior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Came into the office and met with my potential manager and system director. We went over each part of my resume (no rushed pitch). I talked about my experience/schooling and they asked questions so it was quite conversational. Then they went over what the team does, what the intern is responsible, and they expect it to be conversational so listen up and ask questions based off what you hear.

Interview Questions

• What were your favorite college classes and why?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

This is for their development program. Few days after submitted an online application, the HR contacted me for an initial Skype interview. I thought it is going to be a regular, conversational interview with HR, but it turned out that the interview is actually with two senior sde. I wasn't prepared for it. Anyway, the interview was behavioral focused, and I thought it went very well. However, they promised to give an a feedback by the following Monday, but didn't do that. After an email inquiry, they told me that they decided not to move forward with my application.

I think they rejected me because I questioned their three-years rotational training program. But seriously, three years of training? Doesn't sound good to me. I wonder who want to be in a associative role for three years.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

Nov 19, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience. If you wish to follow up further, please email us at TalentAcquisition@JHancock.com.

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Friendly and straightforward. Connected through university - got a phone screen, then went in for 1:1. Really smooth and efficient, everyone was friendly. Not as much skill-based, more about background, personality fit, aspiration for the position, etc. Interviewed with manager and other team members.

Interview Questions

John Hancock Response

May 25, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and providing feedback. Congratulations on your accepted offer!

Network Security Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

My resume was online and quite a few head hunters called me about this job. I was told based on the job requirement and my resume it fit hand in glove. Due to they were moving they had to put off the interview for 2 weeks. When I showed up they told me they loved my resume. They told me a few of the requirements and I outlined what I did for that. I guess I really impressed them because I was offered the job right there on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about risk assessment?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The headhunters did it for me