King Interview Questions | Glassdoor

King Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.9

Sales Role Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at King.

Interview

Overall the process was pretty quick from submitting the application, to the phone interview, to the in-person meeting. The person I spoke on the phone with was very pleasant and we had a brief but helpful conversation. The process was pretty standard up until the interview itself.

I was kept waiting for nearly 30 minutes in the WeWork lobby without any word or update. When someone finally came to get me, there was no meeting room available which led to another 5 minutes of parading around the office before we found a room that could accommodate myself, the interviewer, and her dog.

Yes, my interviewer brought her dog into the actual meeting room. Her dog wasn't small or quiet and it was a distraction, especially at the beginning, as it was running around and she couldn't be bothered to peel her eyes or attention away from it. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but it felt inappropriate given the circumstances.

As for the interview itself, she admitted she was unprepared and was called in at the last minute because her colleague was unavailable. The questions were not especially difficult or surprising, but she seemed unable to move past the fact that I had worked in Client Services 3 years prior.

Lastly, she gave conflicting answers regarding the vision of the company and the role of their nascent media sales apparatus within it. Alternatively describing it as an afterthought, a priority, and finally a compliment to their primary revenue driver (in-app purchases).

She also struggled to answer some very basic operational questions, but in her defense that is likely due to the fact that this is a new and evolving product.

I normally don't submit reviews for interviews, but I felt compelled to this time given the circumstances. I didn't think the interview itself was difficult, but I also didn't receive an offer, so take that as you will.

My honest assessment is that it is a promising company with a potentially great product, but currently lacks the professionalism and polish needed to thrive in the difficult NYC market.

My advice to anyone going in for an interview would be account for some additional waiting time, prepare for the unexpected, and don't be afraid to take command of the conversation and steer it where you want, otherwise you may get stuck in the weeds like I did.

Interview Questions

King Response

Feb 27, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear about your experience. We’re committed to creating a great culture, so although we were surprised to hear your feedback, we know that setting up a ... More

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at King (New York, NY).

Interview

1) CV screening
    2) Video recorded interview
    3) technical test
    4) two triple interviews (2x3 interviews). All different interviews with different people, with different backgrounds. Some were more technical and others more behavioral.
    5) head interview. Fast and easy interview, just need to show your interest.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at King.

Interview

Casual phone screen followed by an on-site interview lasting ~2 hours. Interviewed with the senior community manager and the marketing director. Discussed the current and upcoming projects of the studio, the status of existing community outreach efforts, future plans and ideas, and structure of the current team. Overall, this was a relatively easy and casual interview, very nice and professional.

Interview Questions

• What does "community mean to you" in today's gaming world?   Answer Question

Senior Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at King (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I reached out to the CEO, who I had know. he put me in touch with one of his recruiters. the recruiter was slow to respond. I kept having to follow up for him to follow through.

Interview Questions

• We had a great conversation about Zynga and the culture and how it differed from King... I was very interested in how King approached the process, how open they were to senior women in the company and what challenges they were going to face int he next 12-18 months.   1 Answer

King Response

Jul 21, 2015 – Global Employer Brand

We’re sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We constantly review our recruitment process and we'll take your experiences into consideration ... More

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at King in May 2014.

Interview

Was told I was going to have a phone interview at a mutually agreed upon time. The interviewer calls 90(!) minutes late, talks for about five minutes and pretty much straight up says that they have no place for me and all around just wastes my time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at King in May 2014.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me 2 months after I submitted an online application. I had an over the phone chat with the recruiter, then I had 2 ~45 minute technical interviews on Skype, with 3 current software engineers. Questions weren't too hard, I was asked to discuss my past projects and techniques I used to improve efficiency, and ways I would deal with tricky situations. Then I had a company culture interview with the Head of Studio. All the employees were friendly and approachable, but the interview process in my opinion took a little too long. It took a month in total for them to assess me, and in the end the recruiter called me to tell me that although feedback for me was very positive, they decided to give the role to a senior instead and encouraged me to apply again next year. I was surprised because it seemed like they didn't hire very many interns, but I did appreciate the phone call - it's not something every company would do.

Junior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Pretty standard, phone screener followed by a technical task, but never got called in to go over it. The reason I wasn't asked to come in is because they were "looking for someone with more experience for the Senior Data Scientist role" even though the task went well. Which is completely understandable since I applied for the Junior Data Scientist role.

Interview Questions

• Basic competency questions about SQL queries, joins, etc. and a bit of Python competency questions if memory serves.   Answer Question

Game Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I didn't make it any further, but the process was fun. After it was over they called me to give me feedback about why they hadn't progressed my application further and encouraged to try again. Feels like they are improving on those bad recruitment reviews there are from past years.

Interview Questions

• Half an integer without using * or / in your preferred language.   Answer Question
    • If you could work anywhere in the technology industry where would you work and why   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at King (Barcelona (Spain)) in February 2017.

Interview

After submitting my CV, I was emailed to invite me to a recorded interview with basic competency questions. Then I moved to the technical test which was about some basic statistics and programming. After that, I interviewed with two teams; each one with a business performance manager and two data scientists. I did not make it to the final round with the Head.

Interview Questions

• Do you know and have used AB testing?   Answer Question
    • If a give you access to all our database, what is the first thing you would look at?   Answer Question
    • Which coding practices make a good code?   Answer Question
    • How would you implement a factorial function with no for loops?   Answer Question

Performance Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I first did an online interview then got invited to their offices in Soho, London (which was amazing!). The interview was 4 hours long with 4 interviewers. Seems daunting at first but all of them were so amazing and friendly I felt so comfortable during the interview. I felt the interview was more about getting to know you then what you can do. Although the interview process was great and had a lot of fun socialising, unfortunately I was not offered the position as I did not have much experience on the quantitative data analysis. Just the opportunity to interview with them was such a great experience, I would do it all again!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for King?
      Tell me about your experiences?
      Answer Question