Lyft Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lyft Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Lyft

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lyft.

Interview

Got through a recruiter screen but failed the tech screen. The next step would have been onsite with a more typical loop. Interview process is very generalized, not for any specific team.

Tech screening felt a little off, not passing was not a surprise.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to maximise trading profit on a series of prices   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Lyft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Lyft (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me over LinkedIn and set up a time to chat with me over Phone. After the Phone Screen with the recruiter, I had a Phone Screen scheduled with an engineer. The engineer asked me some C++, multi threading questions and then a coding question related to queues. I was then invited to the onsite. The onsite consisted of one coding question (90 mins), which you needed to implement on a laptop, either your own or a loaner. This was followed by two whiteboard architecture questions and then finally a video conference with one of their managers in SF.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen: Question related to a queue
      Onsite: Question involving a trie data structure
      Two architecture questions   4 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft in June 2017.

Interview

HR Phone Screen, Technical Phone Screen, CoderPad. Pretty lame in general b/c the first 2 calls were very bullish about the role, and my specific background fit. Then we get to the "CoderPad" session. It was a basic question, but was explained very poorly (on whether/which existing packages could be used or which needed to be written from scratch. The call quality was also difficult. Overall it was challenging but I answered the question fine after figuring out what they wanted. Had a few bugs in the initial solution which required some print outs. But given all the specifics and demonstrable code that was easily shown in my background, to so quickly (1 day) discount a 30 minute mickey mouse coding session seems pretty lame. If you don't have 100% coverage of every possible stupid question you will be asked, or stumble just a bit with Coderpad, they'll cut you free, even if you have worked the EXACT role they are hiring for at another company.

Interview Questions

• One of the silly questions about doing something that you'll never do in the real world.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lyft (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got contacted by a recruited the day after.
    After an initial phone call, I have been scheduled for a phone screen interview and then for a typical on-site loop.
    It was a combination of coding challenge on my computer and system design questions on a white board.

I definitely had a very nice experience, this company has great engineers who really try to deliver the best software possible.

Interview Questions

• NDA, a lot of system design questions   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and heard back from recruiter. Had initial technical phone screen and then onsite interview. Onsite interview consisted of live coding challenge and 3 in-person interviews. Interviews focused heavily on distributed systems fundamentals and coding skills. Talking to the team and working on challenges was fun. Solved all the questions well before the time limit and had plenty of time remaining to ask around company culture and work environment etc. Heard back after few days from recruiter that i wasn't a good fit. Didn't really understand what went wrong and recruiter had no further information about it.

Interview Questions

• Standard distributed systems like stuff - Design Lyft, URL shortner, Auto completion   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lyft (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was referred through a friend for the Seattle office. The recruiter, Jen, was prompt and transparent throughout the process. Cannot say enough good things about her.

Started out with a phone screen with an engineer in SF. The in-person loop was short, and the recruiter will tell you who's on the loop ahead of time. I got one applied coding question where you code for an hour on your laptop (or Lyft provides one) with internet access, one architecture question, one algorithm question on the whiteboard, and a lunch in between.

Super smart people, very interesting problems and great office space.

Interview Questions

• What's the most complex problem you've worked on?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter and was scheduled a phone screen, after a call with the hiring manager and a technical phone screen didn’t hear from them for a few weeks and was contacted by the recruiter and was told that the phone screen went well and the team wanted to bring me over for an onsite interview and was handed over to another recruiter who had blindfoldedly scheduled another phone screen. The second phone screen consisted of jumping straight into coding, covered three coding questions and left no time for any questions regarding the job, team or Lyft in general. Never heard back from the recruiter again. Sending a standard template mail and not ghosting on candidates is the least that one could expect from any organization? The way any organization treats the candidates who interview with them unsuccessfully states a lot about their internal culture and the way the organization is run.

Interview Questions

• Given an N digit number, find all possible numbers that can be composed from it without reusing a digit. For example: 123 -> (1, 2,3, 12, 13, 21, 23, 31, 32, 123, 132, 213, 231, 312, 321)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview where the interviewer started off asking about myself and briefly described this team and what he's working on at Lyft. We then jumped onto a coding exercise on Coderpad, he explained the question and as I am progressing he added more add on questions. I got an email from recruiter 2 days later that they want me to invite for an onsite at their SF office. Had four rounds of interview at onsite in which one of the round was coding exercise on my laptop (interviewer gave me a question on a paper), 2 rounds of system design questions and 1 personality/experience kind of interview. Overall I would say I had a good experience, all the interviewers were nice and

Interview Questions

• 1. Medium leetcode question in phone interview
      2. Design whatsapp like service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Lyft treated me and my co-workers in a completely unethical and evil manner. Their recruiting approached us via M&A for a talent acquisition and attempted to poach employees by providing misleading / no feedback to founders.

I've been interviewed on-site and never received any feedback and each contact at Lyft refused to talk to founders while their HR invited and interviewed one of our employees and extended an individual offer, even though clearly the context was set for a team-hire where they've told us everybody would be interviewed.

My on-site interview felt like Lyft is interviewing a million people and doing everything wrong. All rooms were booked for interviews (including mine which was fixed by HR). One of the interviewers did not show up, turns out he didn't even come to the office that day.

My programming test was one of the worst I've seen in a decent while. If you've spent time reading their description of the "programming test" they send before the interview, you've just wasted your time. They gave me a classic trie related question you'd have seen a few times easily if you practiced on leetcode or even interviewed with enough companies(many ask it as a systems design question). The question included a top coder style input & output which made zero sense given question context. TC style is to hint for optimizations, whoever prepared the question probably had no clue.

Overall, a waste of time and a lot of shame we will definitely remember and share with others. We've still never received any response from any Lyft contacts (interviewers, HR, M&A) even though we reached out numerous times and it's been over 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode medium/hard level algorithms / data structure questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lyft (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1 hour phone interview with a coding question on codepen
    on site: 4 coding questions, mix of code and architecture. average difficulty, but managable. 1 behavioral interview with an engineering manager
    offer within one week or so