Lyft Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.0
Lyft CEO Logan Green
Logan Green
Pros
  • "Lyft allowed me to work flexible hours when I wanted to strive towards my passions after graduating college(in 140 reviews)

• "Lyft provides a flexible schedule(in 115 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You might meet some rude and weired passengers(in 240 reviews)

• "15% off Lyft rides for employees(in 233 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Lyft and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

New hire for Lyft

May 6, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company culture; good benefits; Abundant resources

Cons

No 401k match; stock volatile

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good effort

May 7, 2021 - Customer Experience Specialist in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lyft is a fun company to work for and does a good job of getting employees to buy into their relaxed tech-corporate culture. They're great at making building an inclusive and diverse atmosphere where you feel comfortable being yourself. No dress code, lots of snacks and drinks, great benefits and perks with a cool office and they seem to genuinely be trying to create a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Some of the upper management can be out of touch with their lower level employees and at times make bottom-dollar decisions that seem un-transparent and directionless to their subordinates instead of what's best for their workers. Even before the pandemic they were already cutting costs and benefits that made the company less appealing and the pandemic only accelerated that. Corporate politics became more and more present in my 3+ years there which interfered with my own development and career progression.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Company Built on Community Has Lost Its Way

Mar 29, 2021 - Technical Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had the pleasure of working with some of the most genuine and intelligent people. Many of my closest friendships were formed there. I was able to continually learn from others and work on some interesting technologies and problems. I had the opportunity to work on many teams and roles over my tenure.

Cons

Long hours and complete availability was expected. There was constant arguing and raised voices in meetings. These meetings were three times a week, involved over 15 senior team members, and were generally a waste of time and exhibitions of talking over the one two women in the room. Transparency from executive leadership seems to disappear as the years went by. Regularly in all-hands meetings, questions the team didn't like were skipped in the queue despite many upvotes. Lastly, the company was founded on the idea of community and taking care of each other. Fast forward nine years and they are doing everything they can to avoid supporting the people generating the wealth of the executives. To go one step further, spending millions of dollars on a campaign leading consumers along about preventing fare increases only to raise prices afterwards without having to pay the benefits. Could you be any greedier?

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun, dynamic company

May 6, 2021 - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Lyft was a great experience. Flexible, great work/life balance. Friendly, fun and supportive culture. Very inclusive. Committed to social justice issues. Free lunch and great snacks (pre pandemic ).

Cons

Too many reorgs Revolving door in marketing Felt uncomfortable with amount of resources the company put toward Prop 22—especially on the heels of mass layoffs

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Growing to be better

Apr 30, 2021 - Electrical Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Leadership on Bikes and Scooter team improved a lot - Great pay and Hybrid work policy for hardware engineers - Wear lot of hats and ship products. Meaningful work

Cons

- Design churn, no core hardware competencies - Not a good place for new engineers to learn - Schedules not paced right. Compress into 60+ hour weeks with midnight releases, then nothing for the next week.

6. 5.0

Great Company

May 6, 2021 - Director, Head of Legal Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very people centric; excellent benefits, work/life balance; focus time blocks (no meetings)

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poorly aligned company, lack of proper resourcing and direction.

Apr 25, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong brand, many people motivated by the mission

Cons

Senior execs had become disconnected from employees and mission, constant attempt to copy Uber rather than innovate. Fundamentally many empolyees are unmotivated to help and work collaboratively as everyone is always behind the 8 ball in terms of their own projects and initiatives due to a lack of goal orientation and resourcing.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0

Lyft We Can DO Better!

Jan 2, 2021 - Customer Service
      Business Outlook

Pros

Vision and Mission of the Company Cross Functional work experiences Employee first culture ( work/life balance, engagement surveys, benefits, mental health first) Compensation/benefits

Cons

Senior Leadership (Nashville) Inexperienced workforce who arent open to change Cliques No real Career development for lower level positions Diversity: Nashville office culture mismatch with SF (diversity)Top positions in Nashville look like the South, moving to Nashville may have been a great cost savings but it comes with issues. Now living in the South, I was optimistic about the changes Lyft could bring but when you hire from that same pool, you see it happening. We arent winning...they are. Maybe we should have picked a better Southern state that is tech savvy and more diverse like Georgia (ATL), Texas (Houston/ Austin/Dallas), NC (RDU or Charlotte).... All of these are also college heavy and could get us the savings we need. Not to mention Nashville is expensive for what you get and we have a bunch of inexperienced people doing critical work.

9. 5.0

Flexibility

Apr 27, 2021 - Driver
      Business Outlook

Pros

It gives me the opportunity to create my own hours to create a nontraditional income outside of my regular job.

Cons

The demand in my area is sometimes low, but during busy times, it is easy to make an impactful income.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

What you would expect from their public image

Apr 28, 2021 - Junior Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance. Company values are aligned with my own. Values diversity, equity and inclusion and self care.

Cons

not open to remote work. Slow career growth

Viewing 1 - 10 of 833 Reviews